This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Making homemade versions of my favorite treats is a new obsession. Next up: Homemade Lemon Oreos. Don’t wait for spring, don’t scour your store. Make these now…at HOME!
Last week we started a pool re-do: new tile, new plaster. Instead of updating my kitchen or going on a trip to Hawaii, we’re doing some much needed repairs. (I was happy with the falling off tiles and said let’s plan a trip to Paris, but Mel outvoted me.)
I kind of hate home ownership. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love owning a house. I feel blessed I have a home to call my own. But all those invisible costs kind of add up. Last year, two fences. This year, the pool. Next year…I’m betting the back fence will fall down. After all, something held up by bushes and a bent over tree isn’t long for this world.
Oh well, instead of planning a kitchen remodel, I made you copycat Lemon Oreos. I bet you’re happier with that decision than I am. 😉
Awhile back I posted a recipe for regular Golden Oreos and immediately I started thinking of new flavors. Lemon was the first one to come to mind.
Have you had Lemon Oreos? They’re the best. The cookie just a plain Golden Oreo, but the filling is all lemon. Since I’m obsessed with lemon, I decided to make my own version.
Since I prefer soft cookies to crunchy any day, (Oreos are no exception), I made these soft and pillowy using a combination of butter and brown sugar. Now, a traditional Golden Oreo would use shortening in both the cookie and the filling, but I like butter better.
The first time I made these cookies, I made them huge. Seriously – 2 tablespoons of dough per cookie. This time I wanted to make smaller, more Oreo-like cookies, so I used a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop. You can make them big if you want, but the baking time will be affected.
The filling is also made with butter instead of shortening. It’s also filled with lemon juice and lemon zest for a super tart and sweet lemon flavor. If you like Lemon Oreos, you’ll like these cookies. In fact, you might like them better.
I know I do.
I also like them better than spending thousands on invisible home repair. Cookies > spending money. Am I right??
Homemade Lemon Oreos
For the cookies:
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
For the filling:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2-5 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats.
- Whisk baking soda, salt, and flour in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer). Cream until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon cookie balls onto the cookie sheets, 2” apart.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes, until the edges are golden. Remove from the oven and tap the cookie sheets on the top of the stove lightly to flatten the cookies a bit. Let cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting: mix butter with a hand mixer until creamy and smooth. Mix in powdered sugar slowly until crumbly. Add zest, 1 tablespoon milk and 2 teaspoons lemon juice and mix until smooth. Add up to 3 more teaspoons of lemon juice to get the right spreading consistency for your frosting.
- Frost the bottoms of half the cookies, then sandwich with another cookie. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Click here to see the complete list of Lemon Recipes!
Sweets from friends:
Cookie Dough Oreos by Chef in Training
Homemade Peppermint Oreos by I Heart Naptime
Homemade Mint Oreos by Your Cup of Cake
Last Updated on August 28, 2019
This is one of the few cookie recipes that still has a perfect cookie texture when I use cluten free flour, perfect! thanks so much
Yes!!! Lemon Oreos are my favorite! I always stock up whenever they’re on the shelves. Homemade Oreos sound a bazillion times better and I can’t wait to make these!
I’m so excited to try this recipe. So delicious! So inspirational!
Love it!!!! Of course great minds think alike…I have a lemon funfetti whoopie pie sitting in my que right now 🙂 Similar but different!!! I hate home repairs so much…vacation sounds so much more fun and relaxing!!!
LOL #greatminds!! I have lemon funfetti cookies in my queue!!
These look absolutely delicious!
I am going crazy for lemon this January. This homemade lemon Oreos look right up my alley!
I prefer soft cookies over crunchy too! Looks delicious!
They look beautiful, Dorothy, and I bet they are better than the originals!
I LOVE these!! We still don’t get any fancy flavour Oreo’s here, so I’ve yet to try lemon, mint, birthday cake, pumpkin… GAH the UK sucks, but now I can at least try the lemon ones! 😀