This Ground Turkey Stir Fry is a great dinner that you can make in 30 minutes.
Lean ground turkey is cooked with fresh broccoli before you add a simple homemade stir fry sauce that you can make with ingredients from the pantry. Serve it with rice for a quick and delicious meal!
This is one of my go-to dinners because it’s such a fast way to get dinner on the table and you can easily switch up the ingredients to keep it interesting.
I love broccoli stir fry and when you add some ground turkey and a quick sauce you get a pretty healthy dinner that is ready in 30 minutes.
I think the secret to a good stir fry is the sauce – it makes or breaks it! Those bottles of stir fry sauce at the store are convenient and I use them sometimes (mostly when I want Teriyaki Meatballs), but most of the time I like to make my own. It’s so much cheaper and you can control what goes in it, especially the salt.
Plus, it’s easy. Like, really easy. You probably have all of the ingredients in your pantry right now. Quick, go check! I’ll wait for you.
Table of Contents
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Ground ginger
The cornstarch thickens the sauce so when you add it to the hot pan you get a glossy thick sauce within a few minutes. If you like a little heat feel free to add some red pepper flakes to the sauce, too!
The great thing about this sauce is that it goes with lots of things so you can use it for pretty much any kind of stir fry – it’s just a great all-purpose sauce.
Use ground beef if you don’t like ground turkey!PRO TIP
Here’s the deal: using ground turkey in stir fry is a really easy way to add a protein. It cooks fast, it’s lean, and it’s delicious. If you don’t love it, though, you can substitute ground beef, ground pork or even ground chicken so choose your favorite. The recipe steps are the same no matter what kind you use.
I’m not kidding about the quick part – the best thing about this kind of cooking is how fast it goes. Oh, and you don’t need a fancy wok. You can use regular large pan to make it.
It’s a really good idea to have your veggies prepped before you start cooking. That way there’s no stress if you’re meat is done but you haven’t chopped all the vegetables yet. The only exception is the sauce – it’s so easy to mix up you can do that while the veggies cook. Here are the rest of the ingredients you’ll need:
- Garlic powder
- Ground pepper
- Vegetable oil or olive oil
- Fresh broccoli florets
- Sliced yellow onion
- Stir fry sauce
Once you have everything ready it’s time to cook!
- Cook the ground turkey in the pan over medium high heat. Break it up with a spatula (or a potato masher works, too!) as it cooks. Add the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Once the meat is cooked through transfer it to a bowl and drain the fat from the pan.
- In the same pan, add some more oil and cook the broccoli and onions until they are crisp-tender. This will take about four to five minutes. While they cook, if you haven’t already, mix up the sauce.
- Add the sauce to the pan, let it bubble up and thicken for a few minutes. Add the cooked turkey back to the pan and stir. Serve it up with some rice and you’re done!
This broccoli stir fry recipe is a great basic recipe that you can easily customize with different veggies or meat! Like I mentioned, the sauce pretty much goes with everything. Stir fry is also a great way to use up leftover vegetables so here are some ways you can switch it up!
- Snap peas
- Green beans
- Thin-sliced carrots
- Bell peppers
- Red onion or sliced green onions
- Zucchini or yellow squash
- Water chestnuts
- Baby corn
Depending on the vegetable the cook time will vary. For veggies that take longer to cook I usually slice them thin so they cook faster.
Just looking at that list makes me want to make another stir fry! It’s such a great way to load up on all the healthy veggies. Add some brown or white rice and you have a complete meal.
So, really, this is a bunch of dinner recipes in one because it’s so easy to switch it up. That sauce is the magic and it’ll leave you craving stir fry every night. I hope you love it!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Hot cooked rice for serving
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey and stir to break it apart. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper, stir. Cook until no longer pink, covering the pan occasionally. Once it’s cooked through, drain the fat and remove the turkey to a plate.
- Replace the pan on the burner and add the oil. Add the broccoli and onion and cook, covered but stirring often, until crisp-tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, stir together the water, soy sauce, brown sugar, ground ginger and cornstarch in a small bowl or measuring cup.
- Add the sauce to the cooked vegetables and cook until it boils and thickens (1-2 minutes). Add the ground turkey back to the pan and stir to warm through and coat with sauce.
- Serve with rice.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
Easy Ground Turkey Stir Fry with broccoli is one of our favorite easy 30 minute meals. Add ground turkey for protein and a homemade stir fry sauce!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: February 6, 2020