This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This easy dinner is the perfect weeknight meal: Ground Beef Stroganoff, done in just 30 minutes! I’ve changed up this classic recipe into a faster and easier dinner – it’s one of my favorite 30 minute ground beef recipes! Plus, it’s picky-eater approved.
Table of Contents
30 minute Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Growing up, we ate beef stroganoff often because it was one of my dad’s favorite meals, and it was the first one my mom ever cooked for him when they were dating (I’ve heard that story a loooot, lol.)
I love the traditional version my mom made with sliced steak in the creamy sauce with egg noodles, but I changed it up once I started making it for my family. Instead of using steak, I came up with this recipe for ground beef stroganoff, and it’s so much easier but just as delicious. I love 30 minute meals with ground beef, and this one is always a family favorite.
The one thing I’ve found about making traditional beef stroganoff recipes is that the meat can get chewy if it’s not cut right or overcooked. That’s why I like making ground beef stroganoff because the meat is always cooked just right.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Ground beef is easy to find at the grocery store and more affordable. Sometimes I even make this with ground turkey to make it a bit healthier.
- This dish is all about the sauce – it’s so creamy and tangy! I make the sauce in the same pan that I cook the ground beef, so it’s infused with tons of savory flavors.
- But what I love best about this ground beef stroganoff recipe is that it’s ready in 30 minutes! It’s my go-to when I want to use ground beef for dinner because it’s perfect for weeknights when your family craves a hearty, comforting dinner.
If you’ve been looking for recipes for ground beef stroganoff, you need to try this one!
Ingredients in Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Egg noodles: Optional – use any kind of pasta or even rice (or low carb versions)
- Ground beef – I use 90-93% lean, or you can use 80% lean and drain off the excess fat before you make the sauce. You can also use ground turkey in this recipe.
- Sliced mushrooms: Also optional but I love mushrooms!
- Diced onion: Adds tons of flavor
- Minced garlic: Mince it yourself or save time and buy one of the tubes in the produce section.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted – either works.
- All-purpose flour: For thickening
- Beef stock or broth: Or chicken broth (I always use low sodium)
- Tomato paste: For some extra flavor
- Sour cream -regular or reduced-fat are fine, but I would avoid nonfat.
- Salt and black pepper to taste
How to Make My Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- Boil the egg noodles following the package instructions. While they cook, you can prepare the beef and sauce.
- Place the ground beef, mushrooms, and onions in a large pan. Cook them over medium heat until the meat is cooked through. Add the garlic and cook it with the beef and mushroom mixture for about a minute. Drain any excess fat, then transfer the ground beef mixture to a bowl.
- Melt the butter in the same pan and then whisk in the flour until a smooth paste forms. Slowly add the beef stock while whisking. Once the mixture is smooth, stir in the tomato paste.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and cook it for about two minutes or until thickened. Add the cooked beef mixture to the sauce and stir to combine. Mix in the sour cream, salt, and pepper and stir until the stroganoff is heated through.
- Drain the egg noodles and serve them with the ground beef stroganoff.
What to serve with Beef Stroganoff
We love this stroganoff with ground beef over egg noodles! You can also serve it over cooked rice, mashed potatoes, or pasta like penne.
For side dishes, some crusty bread is perfect for soaking up all the sauce. Or add a tossed salad or cooked vegetable on the side like broccoli or green beans.
Other Quick Recipes for Ground Beef
- Ground Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Salisbury steaks (a childhood fav)
- Mini Meatloaves (and BBQ flavor too!)
If you love easy 30 minutes meals with ground beef, this stroganoff ground beef recipe needs to be in your meal plan. I love an easy dinner with ground beef, and this one is great!
Have You Made This Recipe
Leave a rating by clicking the stars below!
Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 4 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 pound lean ground beef I use 90% lean
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 large onion halved and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 14 ½ ounce can beef stock or broth or about 1 3/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup sour cream reduced fat is fine
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper plus more to taste
- Cook noodles according to package directions in a large pot of boiling water.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the beef, mushrooms and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Drain and remove from pan; keep warm.
- Melt the butter in the same pan. Whisk in the flour until smooth then slowly add the beef broth, whisking until no lumps remain. Stir in the tomato paste.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Return the beef mixture to the pan. Add the sour cream, salt and pepper and cook and stir until heated through.
- Drain the noodles. Serve beef mixture over noodles.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff is a 30 minute meal that’s the perfect weeknight dinner recipe. This is such a great ground beef recipe!
Last Updated on August 26, 2022