This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Adorable Grinch Cookies are the perfect holiday cookie recipe! These green sugar cookies each have a small red heart sprinkle reminding everyone of the classic Christmas movie. They taste good, freeze well, and they’re so cute!
Table of Contents
How the Grinch Stole Christmas Cookies
I just love “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” don’t you? We read the Dr. Seuss book to Jordan every year when she was small, and we never miss it when the original special is on TV each year! Of course, I had to come up with a fun Grinch-inspired cookie for the holidays, but I wanted to keep it simple. No complicated cut-outs or decorating are required for this easy holiday cookie.
These green cookies start with my easy sugar cookie recipe. They are soft and chewy and, the best news, they are a no-chill recipe! Because it’s the holidays, right? There’s just no time to wait for cookie dough to chill.
Ingredients in Grinch Sugar Cookies
- Butter and Sugar: I always use softened unsalted butter and granulated sugar in my sugar cookies
- Whole egg plus one egg yolk: my secret to chewy sugar cookies!
- Vanilla extract, Baking soda, Salt, Flour: typical cookie ingredients
- Cream of tartar: keeps the cookies soft
- Decorations: Green gel food coloring makes the perfect shade of green and jumbo heart sprinkles to turn them into GRINCH!
How to Make Grinch Cookies
- Cream Butter and Sugar: In a stand mixer (or large bowl with a hand-held mixer), cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. This should only take about a minute.
- Mix the dough: Add the whole egg, extra egg yolk, and vanilla and continue mixing until smooth. Mix in the baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Add the flour and mix until the cookie dough forms.
- Turn them green: Add a few drops of gel or liquid food coloring to the cookie batter and stir until it’s evenly mixed into the dough.
- Scoop: Form two tablespoons of dough to form each cookie dough ball. Place them two inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Decorate & Bake: Place one heart sprinkle on one side of each cookie and then bake the cookies for 11 to 15 minutes or until the bottoms are golden and the tops of the cookies are no longer glossy.
Grinch Cookies Recipe
- ¾ cup (170g) unsalted butter softened
- ¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract (optional – for flavor)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (248g) all-purpose flour
- Green Food Coloring
- Heart sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large bowl with a hand mixer). Cream until the mixture is fluffy, about one minute.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix until smooth, then mix in baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Add flour and mix until cookie dough forms.
- Add a few drops of green food coloring and stir to mix throughout. How much food coloring depends on the kind (gel vs. grocery store food coloring). Add more as needed to get the green color you want.
- Scoop 2 tablespoon sized balls 2-inches apart on cookie sheet. Place one heart sprinkle on one side of each cookie. Bake for 11-15 minutes, or until the bottoms are just starting get golden and the top is no longer glossy. Cool at least 10 minutes on cookie sheet before removing.
- Alternately, if you want to know exactly where your sprinkle will land, press the sprinkle on the cookie as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to a month.
Tis the season for GRINCH COOKIES! I turned my easy sugar cookie recipe into a green cookie for Christmas – decorated easy with a heart sprinkle!! These are such a fun cookie recipe!
Last Updated on December 18, 2023