Adorable Grinch Cookies are the perfect holiday cookie recipe! These green sugar cookies each have a small red heart sprinkle reminding everyone of the classic Christmas movie. Make them for all the holiday parties, cookie platters, or make a batch to share with your family!
I can’t wait until I’m able to host a “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” party so I can serve these!
Table of Contents
How the Grinch Stole Christmas Cookies
I just love “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” don’t you? We read the Dr. Seuss book to Jordan every year when she was small, and we never miss it when the original special is on TV each year!
Of course, I had to come up with a fun Grinch-inspired cookie for the holidays, but I wanted to keep it simple. No complicated cut-outs or decorating are required for this easy holiday cookie.
Grinch Cookies Recipe Video
These green cookies start with my easy sugar cookie recipe. They are soft and chewy and, the best news, they are a no-chill recipe! Because it’s the holidays, right? There’s just no time to wait for cookie dough to chill.
These grinch decorated cookies are simple, too! Just some green food coloring and heart sprinkles are all you need.
These are just so cute and perfect for cookie platters or gifts. Or, make a batch of these grinch Christmas cookies and curl up with them for a night of holiday movies!
- Butter and Sugar: I always use softened unsalted butter and granulated sugar in my sugar cookies
- Whole egg plus one egg yolk: my secret to chewy sugar cookies!
- Vanilla extract, Baking soda, Salt, Flour: typical cookie ingredients
- Cream of tartar: keeps the cookies soft
- Decorations: Green food coloring and Heart sprinkles to turn them into GRINCH!
How to Make Grinch Cookies
- Cream Butter and Sugar: In a stand mixer (or large bowl with a hand-held mixer), cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. This should only take about a minute.
- Mix the dough: Add the whole egg, extra egg yolk, and vanilla and continue mixing until smooth. Mix in the baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Add the flour and mix until the cookie dough forms.
- Turn them green: Add a few drops of food coloring to the cookie batter and stir until it’s evenly mixed into the dough.
- Scoop: Form two tablespoons of dough to form each cookie dough ball. Place them two inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Decorate & Bake: Place one heart sprinkle on one side of each cookie and then bake the cookies for 11 to 15 minutes or until the bottoms are golden and the tops of the cookies are no longer glossy.
How to decorate Grinch Cookies
To make it easy, use red heart sprinkles or candy hearts. Just press them onto the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven. The sprinkle represents the grinch’s small heart and the bright green color is like his fur.
These sweet treats are soft and chewy and are so fun at Christmas time!
- Food Coloring: The amount of food coloring you will need will depend on the kind you use. If you use gel color, you will only need a few drops. If you opt for the regular grocery store kind, you will need to add a little more. Always start with less because you can always add more!
- Heart Sprinkles: If you want the heart sprinkle positioned exactly where you want it on the cookie, wait to add them until after the cookies are baked. As soon as you take them out of the oven, press the sprinkle on top. If you wait, they won’t stick after the cookies cool.
- Storing the Cookies: Keep them in an airtight container for up to three days at room temperature. Or, you can freeze the baked cookies for up to a month.
This grinch recipe is one of my favorite cookies to make during the holidays. They always bring a smile to everyone’s faces! Add them to your baking list this year – you will love them!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Grinch Cookies Recipe
- ¾ cup (170g) unsalted butter softened
- ¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (248g) all-purpose flour
- Green Food Coloring
- Heart sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large bowl with a hand mixer). Cream until the mixture is fluffy, about one minute.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix until smooth, then mix in baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Add flour and mix until cookie dough forms.
- Add a few drops of green food coloring and stir to mix throughout. How much food coloring depends on the kind (gel vs. grocery store food coloring). Add more as needed to get the green color you want.
- Scoop 2 tablespoon sized balls 2-inches apart on cookie sheet. Place one heart sprinkle on one side of each cookie. Bake for 11-15 minutes, or until the bottoms are just starting get golden and the top is no longer glossy. Cool at least 10 minutes on cookie sheet before removing.
- Alternately, if you want to know exactly where your sprinkle will land, press the sprinkle on the cookie as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to a month.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
Tis the season for GRINCH COOKIES! I turned my easy sugar cookie recipe into a green cookie for Christmas – decorated easy with a heart sprinkle!! These are such a fun cookie recipe!
Last Updated on November 22, 2021
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: November 22, 2020