This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Can’t decide between pie or cake? Make Apple Pie Cake! This is an easy cake made with cake mix and apple pie filling. Make homemade filling or use your favorite canned filling to make it even easier. Serve it warm with ice cream for dessert or serve it as a decadent breakfast cake. It’s great any time of day!
Table of Contents
Apple Pie Cake with Cake Mix
I love recipes that can pull double duty, and this easy apple cake is one of my favorites. You can serve it for dessert or breakfast! It’s such a great cake and perfect any time of day.
- This easy apple cake starts with a cake mix. You can use spice cake or yellow cake – both work great!
- The apple part of the cake comes from apple pie filling. Make my homemade apple pie filling or use canned to make it really easy.
I love this apple pie dump cake warm with scoops of ice cream, but it’s also great served cold or at room temperature. It’s the perfect cake to serve for breakfast or dessert with a dusting of powdered sugar.
- Cake Mix: I used a spice cake mix because I had it in my pantry but you can also use yellow cake mix (add 1 teaspoon cinnamon).
- Oil, water, and eggs to make the cake (following the package instructions).
- Apple pie filling: use half of my homemade recipe or a full 21 ounce can.
- For serving: Powdered sugar, ice cream and/or caramel sauce
How to Make an Apple Pie Cake
- Prepare the cake mix following the package instructions.
- Pour the batter into a prepared 9×13” pan.
- Drop the apple pie filling evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake the cake for 30 to 40 minutes in an oven preheated to 350°F.
- Cool the cake for 20 minutes before serving warm. Or, allow it to cool to room temperature before serving. Dust the top with powdered sugar before serving.
Tip From Dorothy
- You can use a yellow cake mix instead of a spice cake mix. If you do, I recommend adding cinnamon and nutmeg to the batter for extra flavor.
- I like to serve this apple pie filling dump cake with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for dessert. If I serve it for breakfast, I keep it plain with just the powdered sugar, or you can drizzle it with a powdered sugar glaze.
- Not a fan of apple pie? You can use any fruit pie filling for this recipe! Try my blueberry pie filling or cherry pie filling!
It depends on the recipe. Some apple spice cake recipes call for fresh apples to be added directly to the batter. For this apple pie filling cake, the apples are cooked in the filling before adding the cake.
I think the best cake mix to use is spice cake mix because the flavors pair perfectly with the apples, and it’s just less to measure out! You can also use a yellow cake mix, but I recommend adding cinnamon and nutmeg to the batter.
I like to dust the top with powdered sugar and then serve slices of the cake with ice cream, whipped cream, or with a sugar glaze on top.
Keep the cake tightly covered and store it at room temperature for a day or two. You can also keep it in the refrigerator for up to three to four days.
Apple Pie Cake Recipe
- 1 15.25 ounce box spice cake mix (see note)
- Ingredients to make the cake oil, eggs, water listed on the box
- ½ recipe Apple Pie Filling or one 21-ounce can
- Powdered Sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix cake mix with eggs, water and oil as called for on the box. Pour into prepared pan.
- Evenly drop apple pie filling all over the top of the cake.
- Bake 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool at least 20 minutes before serving (it’s great warm for breakfast or cooled for dessert).
- Serve with powdered sugar or with ice cream.
- If you use a yellow cake mix, add 2 teaspoons cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg to the cake batter.
- If you want an icing, make a powdered sugar glaze with 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, ½ teaspoon cinnamon and 2-3 tablespoons milk or heavy whipping cream. Drizzle over cake.
- Use any pie filling to switch up the flavors!
An easy Apple Pie Cake! This cake starts with spice cake mix and apple pie filling. It’s a cross between a cake and a poke cake – no frosting needed! Just dust with powdered sugar and it’s an easy dessert or breakfast!
Last Updated on September 12, 2023