This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This Chipwich Ice Cream Sandwich recipe is an easy homemade cookie ice cream sandwich made with chocolate chip cookies, vanilla ice cream, and mini chocolate chips. You can use your favorite homemade cookies, store-bought cookie dough, or try one of my amazing chocolate chip cookie recipes. Whichever you choose, you will love these easy ice cream sandwiches.
Table of Contents
Copycat Chipwich Ice Cream Sandwiches
I have such fond memories of Chipwich ice cream sandwiches – my family always had a box in the freezer, and I just loved the cold and creamy ice cream sandwiches with cookies. The combination of soft and chewy cookies, creamy ice cream, and chocolate chips on the outside was just the best.
It’s such a simple thing – but simple things are sometimes the best things, right? So, why not make your own chipwiches? You don’t have to pick them up at the store – you can make your own with this easy copycat recipe.
What You’ll Love About This Recipe
- You can use any chocolate chip cookies as long as they’re fresh-baked. You can go the from-scratch route and use one of my favorite cookie recipes or one of yours, OR you can use refrigerated cookie dough.
- We’re going classic with this easy copycat chipwich recipe and using vanilla ice cream and mini chocolate chips. It’s the best match ever with the chocolate chip cookies.
- These are so fun for summer parties or just because. You can make a batch and store them in the freezer to have on hand when you want a cold treat to cool off on a hot day. They are the best summertime treat!
What You Need to Make Chipwiches
- Fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies cooled to room temperature
- Softened vanilla ice cream: Use your favorite brand
- Mini chocolate chips
How to Make a Chipwich
- Place a sheet pan or freezer-safe container in the freezer so you can place the chipwiches in the freezer as you make them.
- Place the chocolate chips in a shallow bowl and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the cookies upside down on the baking sheet.
- Top a cookie with a ¼ cup of ice cream, and then place another cookie on top. Roll the sandwich in the chocolate chips, so they stick to the ice cream around the edges. Place the ice cream sandwich on the baking sheet in the freezer.
- Repeat this process with the rest of the cookies – you can work in batches of two or three until all of the sandwiches are assembled.
- Freeze the chipwich ice cream sandwiches for a few hours or until the ice cream is firm.
Use your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe for this recipe, or try one of my favorite recipes:
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies, or Double Tree Cookies
- Make semi-homemade cookie sandwiches and use refrigerated cookie dough. You don’t have to use chocolate chip cookie dough – other cookie flavors will work, too!
- A classic chipwich is made with vanilla ice cream, but you can use any ice cream flavor. There are countless ones to choose from, so have fun coming up with your spin on chipwich ice cream sandwiches.
BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe (seriously)
This is the BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe and the only one you need, seriously. Over a million people have seen this recipe and it has over 500 5 star reviews! One bowl, no mixer, a soft cookie with tons of gooey chocolate chips – this is the recipe YOU need to make. Why is…
Tips From Dorothy
These ice cream sandwiches don’t work well with packaged cookies – they’re too crunchy. Fresh-baked soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies are the best!
Wait to assemble the sandwiches until the cookies are thoroughly cooled. You can bake your cookies a day ahead to make it easier and keep them in an airtight container until you’re ready to assemble the ice cream sandwiches.
It helps to soften the ice cream beforehand. I just leave it out at room temperature for five to ten minutes or until it’s easy to scoop.
Work in small batches when you assemble the sandwiches that way, you won’t have any sitting out melting on you and making a mess! I make two to three at a time and pop them in the freezer before assembling another batch.
Other Favorite Cookie Recipes
Have you made this recipe?
Leave a 5 star rating by clicking the stars below!
Copycat Chipwich Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 24 chocolate chip cookies baked and cooled (see note)
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups (340g) mini chocolate chips
- Allow ice cream to soften for 5-10 minutes, or until easily scoopable.
- Place a cookie sheet or container in freezer to place your ice cream sandwiches as you assemble them.
- Place chocolate chips in a shallow bowl.
- Place half of cookies upside down on a cookie sheet covered with parchment or wax paper.
- Working in batches of 2-3 cookies at a time, scoop ¼ cups of ice cream on top of each cookie and sandwich with a second cookie. Roll each sandwich in the chocolate chips to adhere. Place in freezer.
- Continue until all sandwiches are assembled and in freezer. Freeze for at least 3 hours, or until firm.
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- You can use refrigerated cookie dough, store bought (check the grocery store bakery – don’t use packaged as they won’t be soft), or you can make one of my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes.
- It’s best to work in small batches so the ice cream doesn’t melt. Freeze as you go so you don’t have a mess.
Make a batch to have on hand so you can grab a chipwich ice cream sandwich out of the freezer whenever you’re craving a cold ice cream treat. They’re always a favorite at our house!