This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
If you love cookies with nuts you will love this recipe! These Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies are soft and gooey with lots of chocolate chips and pecans. Make them with pecans or use your favorite nuts instead! I guarantee this will be your favorite nutty chocolate chip cookies once you try the recipe.
Table of Contents
Pecans IN Chocolate Chip Cookies
One thing I love about creating cookie recipes is that once you have a fantastic cookie base you can literally create countless cookie recipes by switching up the add-ins. And I’ve got a great one for you today: Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies!
These are basically my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe with nuts added in. Specifically, pecans because they pair perfectly with the chocolate. The cookies have the best texture – soft and ooey-gooey from all the chocolate chips with loads of crunchy pecans. If you don’t like pecans you can substitute your favorite type of nuts, like walnuts. It’s easy to put your own nutty spin on these cookies (ha!)
I have made the base for these cookies so many times I’ve lost count and every step serves a purpose. Follow the recipe and I guarantee you will have the most amazing batch of fresh-baked cookies when you’re done.
- Melted Butter – I love starting this base cookie recipe with melted unsalted butter. It makes them easy to mix but also adds a toffee-like flavor when mixed with the brown sugar.
- Sugars – I use both packed brown sugar and granulated sugar. Love the softness brown sugar gives to cookies.
- Pecans – Chopped pecans are delicious in cookies. Toast them for an even deeper flavor!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cookies with Nuts
- Melt your butter – melted butter makes cookies taste so good!
- Stir in both sugars – or use a mixer.
- Stir in egg, vanilla extract, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in flour then mix in chocolate chips and pecans.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop two tablespoons of dough for each cookie ball and place them on the baking sheet. Chill for at least an hour.
- Bake the cookies for 11 to 15 minutes or until the edges are a light golden brown and the tops are no longer glossy.
Tip From Dorothy
- You only need one bowl to make this chocolate chip pecan cookie recipe! You can also use a hand mixer or stand mixer – whichever you have will work.
- Be sure to plan ahead when you make these cookies because the dough needs time to chill. I know, I know! But trust me on this one – chilling the dough for two hours makes a big difference and the cookies will bake up with the most amazing texture.
- Before you get to mixing make sure you’re measuring your ingredients the correct way. Did you know how you measure sugar and flour makes a big difference in how your cookies turn out? Be sure to check out my posts all about How to Measure Sugar and How to Measure Flour for lots of tips.
If you notice your cookies not spreading in the oven, don’t worry. This can happen for a few reasons, most likely because they were either too cold or your butter was a different brand than mine. If you notice this happening simply press lightly with the palm of your hand to start the flattening process and they’ll flatten to a soft rounded cookie.
You can use any kind of chopped nut in this recipe.
Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅔ cup (133g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (200g) packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups (372g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (340g) chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk)
- 1 ½ cups (180g) chopped pecans or walnuts
- Note: This dough requires chilling.
- Place melted butter in a large bowl. (You can also use a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer.) Add granulated and brown sugars and stir until the mixture is smooth. Stir in egg and vanilla extract and stir until combined.
- Mix in baking soda and salt, then slowly mix in flour and mix just until the batter is smooth and comes together. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl during mixing. Slowly mix in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Line a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Scoop 2 tablespoon balls of dough onto the cookie sheet. Spacing doesn’t matter because you will be chilling the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a second cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Remove the chilled cookie dough balls from the refrigerator and space them 2-inches apart on the cookie sheets. Bake for about 9-12 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until the top is just no longer glossy.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to one month.
If you love Chocolate Chip Cookies with nuts then these are the perfect cookies for you! Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies are soft and gooey cookies filled with pecans, but you can use walnuts or your favorite nuts! This is the best cookie recipe.
Last Updated on October 20, 2023