Jan 09

Toffee Chocolate Chippers

Perfect for when you want a small cookie that’s packed with flavor: Toffee Chocolate Chippers! They’re a copycat of the old Entenmann’s Heath Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies!

Toffee Chocolate Chippers - a soft and chewy cookie filled with chocolate and toffee bits.  | crazyforcrust.com

Aren’t these cookies just totes adorbs? It’s cray-cray how cute they are and they taste totally amazeballs!

Sorry, I had to throw all those words in that paragraph. Because, well, according to this article, I’m not allowed to say them anymore, because I’m over 30.

I know, right? It’s just cray.

Sorry, I couldn’t help it. Have you read the article? I use at least half those terms on a regular basis, although I must say, I’ve never said I’ll cut a b$%@!. I don’t see where I would, although I do like to greet some of my friends as Hey, b$$%@! because, well, that’s just how we roll.

I must say, I write the terms more than I actually say them. Except I know, right? because that’s just a necessary phrase. It’s the Seriously? of the decade. So, if I write them, it’s okay to use them…riiiight? Please say yes.

I’m (well) over 30 and I’m going to call my cookies totes adorbs if I want. I’m still going to use amazeballs because it’s my favorite adjective. And I know, right? just plays right into my sarcastic nature.

What I’m surprised isn’t on the list? Talking in #hashtags, which is something I totally do. I even use the hand signal, and I’ve got my husband doing it too. #itsjustthewayitis

Okay, so onto the cookies which is probably why you’re here and now you’re scratching your head and saying Who the heck is this chick?

Remember those Entenmann’s Heath Chocolate Chip Cookies? Yeah, these are those. I call them toffee chocolate chippers because they’re small like those ones you get at the store in the mall. But they’re better than both, because you made them!

I used to love those cookies and I haven’t thought about them in forever. Then one day I was making chocolate chip cookies and threw in some toffee bits. When I ate them I remembered those Entenmann’s. I haven’t looked for them in the stores recently, but they’re no longer on the website so who knows if they still exist. No matter, now you can make them at home.

Built off my Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, my gold standard, these cookies are the baby version. While the other ones were made with a 1/4 cup scoop, these are made with my teeny-tiny 1 tablespoon cookie scoop. They spread out a little but stay chewy and gooey inside. If you like your cookies the texture of cookie dough but chewy on the outside, these are for you.

I love that they’re little because it’s easy to just grab one (or two) and not feel guilty about having cookie. They’re great for lunch boxes too – kid gets a dessert but it’s not too big (and not too small). The batch makes a ton (about 72 cookies), and they freeze fabulously. Place them between layers of paper towels in either resealable containers or gallon size resealable bags and freeze for up to a month. If they last that long.

If you’ve never put toffee chips into chocolate chip cookies, you’re missing out. Why not start today, with this recipe? You won’t be sorry!

Like I said…they’re amazeballs.

Toffee Chocolate Chippers

Yield: 72 cookies

Toffee Chocolate Chippers

• 2 sticks butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup toffee bits (Bit o’ Brickle or the kind with chocolate)

1. Pour melted butter into an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. While still hot, add both sugars and mix on low until combined. Let sit to cool for a few minutes.
  2. While butter mixture is cooling, combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir and set aside.
  3. Turn mixer (with butter mixture bowl attached) on low. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing completely. Mix in vanilla extract. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
  4. Important: Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill dough for at least 4 hours. It must be COMPLETELY cold before you bake it for these to turn out properly.
  5. Preheat oven to 350°. Line cookie sheets with parchment or silpat liners. It’s gonna be an arm workout to scoop the dough, but tt’s worth it!
  6. Scoop out 1 tablespoon sized balls and place on prepared pans.
  7. Bake for about 8 minutes. They will still look sort of raw, but the bottoms will be golden. Let cool for 5 minutes, and then remove from pans to cool completely.

Almond Joy Pudding Cookies

almond joy pudding cookies

Toffee Pretzel Peanut Butter Cookies

peanut butter pretzel toffee cookies 3(3 of 6)w

Chocolate Chip Turtle Cookies

chocolate chip turtle cookies

Candy Overload Cookies

Candy Overload Cookies

Soft and Chewy Oatmeal Coconut Cookies by Averie Cooks
Giant Chewy Brown Butter Toffee Cookies by Mom on Timeout
M&M Chocolate Oat Cookies by Something Swanky

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

60 Responses to “Toffee Chocolate Chippers”

1. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on January 9, 2014 at 3:02 pm (#)

LOL I felt like you were my 15yr old daughter there for a second, LOL. I read that article earlier and am laughing because if I ever say one of those phrases, Alyssa rolls her eyes and says “not cool.” Then again, she also bought be perfume that’s part teen with a little old lady to it, hehehehe!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Jordan does the same. She’s 8. That makes me scared. :)

2. Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness posted on January 9, 2014 at 3:32 pm (#)

Girl, you are never to old to say “cray” or “totes adorbs” no matter what that article says! Those words are just necessary sometimes. But, not as necessary as these cookies! I mean, chocolate and toffee? Hello deeeeelicious!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Thank you! I know, right? ;) I swear, it’s the most useful phrase EVER.

3. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on January 9, 2014 at 3:38 pm (#)

I can totally see how buttery and rich these are. I love really butter dough and I think the melted butter also gives a diff taste than creaming it, and gosh, these look perfect! And bless you for making 72 cookies, UGH. Mine keep getting bigger, not smaller, since I dont want to roll out any more. Batch sizes used to be 24, now they’re down to about 15. LOL Same amt of dough, just bigger cookies :) And that article…how un-amazeballs of them. LOL

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2014 at 8:12 pm

I know, right? (<– see, it’s a phrase that I just have to use) 72 seemed like a good idea until about tray 3…

4. Leslie posted on January 9, 2014 at 3:40 pm (#)

Yum! These look delish!

5. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on January 9, 2014 at 3:53 pm (#)

These remind me a lot of my mom’s chocolate chip cookies, because they’re small, thin, and chewy! I love that they look crunchy on the edges but are still chewy in the middle!

6. Laurie F. posted on January 9, 2014 at 4:51 pm (#)

Your photographs are so beautiful, I want everything!

7. michael posted on January 9, 2014 at 4:56 pm (#)

Those look delicious, I could eat about a dozen of those right now! I have a recipe that is similar to yours, I printed your recipe and plan to give them a try, thank you.

check out my Chocolate Cheesecake recipe, it’s to die for! http://michaelswoodcraft.wordpress.com/2014/01/08/chocolate-cheesecake/

Michael :-)

8. Kristin posted on January 9, 2014 at 5:12 pm (#)

Now I feel the desperate need for a cookie. I saw “chippers” at Panera the other day. I honestly never heard that word used to describe cookies.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2014 at 8:11 pm

That’s where I got it. :)

9. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on January 9, 2014 at 6:43 pm (#)

I think I’m feeling old, because I didn’t even know some of those words were cool :) I would say if you know them use them! Love the cookies too.

10. Pingback: Toffee Chocolate Chippers – HONEY

11. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on January 9, 2014 at 9:19 pm (#)

Toffee in cookies is MY FAVORITE! Well toffee and chocolate so naturally I am all about these littlecookies ;) I think your tots amazeballs that you don’t get all cray cray when people say you can’t say tots adorbs!!! ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 10th, 2014 at 6:36 am

Yes! It’s sooooo good in there!

12. Liz@ Life Made Sweet posted on January 9, 2014 at 9:44 pm (#)

LOL!! Haha! I love this post and I LOVE these little cookies! Way better then the Ennteman’s cookie even I do love those too! Amaze balls for reals yo! Can I say that?

13. Amy posted on January 9, 2014 at 11:08 pm (#)

I love that second photo Dorothy!! Such a creative and eye-catching angle. And with all of the sprinkled chocolate chips and toffee bits? So cute! I’ve actually never had the original Entenmann’s Heath Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies — I know, I know, I must be missing out — but I still have half a bag of toffee bits in my pantry, so… Time to bake? ;) (Story of food blogging, half-used bags of ever mix-in known to mankind stashed around the kitchen…)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 10th, 2014 at 6:36 am

I don’t think they’ve been around for awhile, and I haven’t had them since I was a kid! Toffee in anything is just the best thing ever. :)

• Amy replied on January 10th, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Whew! I don’t feel so bad for missing them then. ;)

14. Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips posted on January 10, 2014 at 2:53 am (#)

There’s a hand signal for hash tag?! How did I now know this? I guess because I just never caught on to “totes” and “adorbs” and I still say “Seriously?” That kinda maes me 34 going on 70. I don’t remember Entenmanns Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies, but I looooove the regular chocolate chip, so how can adding toffee be anything but awesome?

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 10th, 2014 at 6:35 am

Yes! The Justin Timberlake hashtag video. You tube it. It’s HILARIOUS!

15. Ashley posted on January 10, 2014 at 4:19 am (#)

Oh man, Entenmanns goodies … my mom and grandma both used to buy their donuts, cookies, etc as special treats – and I would down them so fast! These cookies look amazing – I really don’t use toffee enough at my house! And this post just made me think of that commercial with James Earl Jones and the totes mcgotes … haha cracks me up every single time!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 10th, 2014 at 6:34 am

I know!! That commercial is epic. :)

16. Mary Frances posted on January 10, 2014 at 5:25 am (#)

I guess we all aren’t allowed to have any fun while talking. :) I guess stuffing my mouth with these would eliminate any accidental “banned word” … I’ll have to keep this in mind for! Chocolate and toffee is such an amazing combo!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 10th, 2014 at 6:34 am

I know, it’s one of my favorites!!

17. Niki posted on January 10, 2014 at 6:34 am (#)

Well, now I know what sweet treat I’m making this weekend. They look totes amazeballs.

18. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on January 10, 2014 at 6:43 am (#)

Girrrrl you can totes use any of those words you WANT! I KNOOOW, RIGHT?!

Anywaysss these cookies, lovely! So little and cute and omg I luuurve toffeeee in choc chip cookies!

19. tanya posted on January 10, 2014 at 7:02 am (#)

It’s funny that the only reason I know any of those words is because of food blogs!! My kids haven’t been saying any of them….yet! Love the toffee in these cookies! And the size is perfect!

20. Megan - The Emotional Baker posted on January 10, 2014 at 7:33 am (#)

Gorgeous cookies, Dorothy! I don’t make small cookies often enough and have yet to add toffee to a batch, so I’m looking forward to trying these :)

21. Krista @ Joyful Healthy Eats posted on January 10, 2014 at 11:40 am (#)

haha… well I guess I have 6 months left to use those words before I turn 30. Better get them all in as much as I can. :)

Um. Heck yes these are so stinking cute! As soon as I get off this Paleo fast, yup, I will be making these. Thanks Dorothy! Pinning!

22. Sheila @ Sweet Baked Life posted on January 10, 2014 at 11:42 am (#)

Dorothy — love the idea of the toffee bits and making them mini! Perfectly yummy!

23. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on January 10, 2014 at 5:52 pm (#)

I am totally going cray-cray over these cookies! They are amazeballs! (I feel so awkward saying it like that, lol!) Have a great weekend! :) ps: #ilovethese

24. Dina posted on January 10, 2014 at 8:10 pm (#)

these remind me of my mom. it’s one of her favorites!

25. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on January 10, 2014 at 10:28 pm (#)

That list is totes cray-cray. I use ALL of those phrases/words on a semi-regular basis. Except “feels.” Never heard of that one!

And, hooray for delectable looking cookies! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 12th, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I’ve never heard of that one either! So strange. :)

26. Leigh Anne Wilkes @YourHomebasedMom posted on January 11, 2014 at 8:21 am (#)

I am a firm believer that one can never have too many chocolate chip cookie recipes!! I’m a total collector and adding this one to the collection. Can’t wait to try

27. Jamielyn@iheartnaptime posted on January 11, 2014 at 3:22 pm (#)

These look so good! Thanks for sharing! xo

28. Renee @ Two in the Kitchen posted on January 11, 2014 at 5:08 pm (#)

That post just completely made me laugh!! And just to show how out of it I am at 41, I never heard of any of those phrases except of course, “I know, right” and I have seen “amaze balls” left as comments on my site but other than that, I guess I show my age by not saying any of those.

Now these cookies are right up my ally! (Can I say that??) I love a good bakery style cookie and toffee belongs in anything sweet in my opinion! Your pics make me feel like I can just reach out and grab a cookie!! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 12th, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Thanks Renee! I mostly know all those statements from my daughter. :)

29. Julie @ This Gal Cooks posted on January 11, 2014 at 8:22 pm (#)

When I read the first sentence, I knew that you had read the same article I read. The next sentence confirmed my suspicions! Bottom line, don’t say or do anything if someone doesn’t like it. Amirite? ;)

Love these cookies, Dorothy! Homemade > Entenmans. Yep you win!

30. Mallory @ Total Noms posted on January 12, 2014 at 6:42 am (#)

I try to draw the line at “adorbs” but it OBVI slips out every now and again because yolo. :P These cookies look delectable, Dorothy! I always love a soft cookie and the toffee + chocolate combo is a winner!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 12th, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Yeah, I think adorbs more than I actually say it. :) Thank you!!

31. Tina Burton posted on January 12, 2014 at 6:23 pm (#)

Dorothy, I really think you should consider changing the name of your blog to cray-crayforcrust.com! You are hilarious. Thanks for all the wonderful recipes and fun. :)

32. Krystle(Baking Beauty) posted on January 12, 2014 at 7:57 pm (#)

Chocolate chip cookies are my all time favorite dessert. I feel like I’m tried every kind there is, but I’ve never done toffee before! Sounds delicious. Not sure I can trust myself with 72 of them in the house!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 13th, 2014 at 6:28 am

I know that feeling! I love freezing them, they’re perfect for a lunch treat. :)

33. Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking posted on January 13, 2014 at 8:35 am (#)

It’s cray-cray how amazeballs these cookies are, right?
    I love toffee anything and I have the feeling these won’t last long around me!

34. Niki posted on January 15, 2014 at 10:39 am (#)

I made these over the course of two nights this week. I surprised myself by not eating too much of the dough the first night – it was so good. I made a hlaf batch and still got about 44 cookies, some made it to the freezer, but most were gone last night. So good and such the perfect little size to indulge in more than one.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 15th, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I’m so glad you liked them! I love when they’re small – because then you can have two! :) Thanks for telling me!

35. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on January 16, 2014 at 8:50 am (#)

Ha! Never too old for any of those words/sayings! I totally do the b**** thing too. I have to be careful though – some ppl take offensive. :) And yes, these cookies are totes amazeballs!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 16th, 2014 at 6:18 pm

I know! I think I think it more than I actually say it, for that reason. :)

36. Pingback: Kit Kat Cookies - Crazy for Crust