Jan 19

Peanut Butter Mountain Bars

It only took me a year but I managed to do it: I made a copycat Peanut Butter Mountain Bar! These are *gasp* better than a peanut butter cup!

Peanut Butter Mountain Bars Copycat Recipe by crazyforcrust.com

My daughter is all about the Rainbow Loom right now. Every time we go shopping she begs for new rubber band colors. Last week she bought green, blue, and white (before she’d only had girl colors) and she made Mel a bracelet. And he’s worn it every single day. At night, when he brushes his teeth, I see it peeking out of his sweater.

I’m sorry, but is there anything sexier than a man wearing a rainbow loom bracelet his daughter made him? Probably not much….except maybe Peanut Butter Mountain Bars.

Now if I was as good of a mom as he is a dad, I’d remember to wear my bracelet every day. #momfail

Oh well, at least Jordan loves me for my treats! ;)

Peanut Butter Mountain Bars Copycat Recipe by crazyforcrust.com

Last year I made my mom a copycat Mountain Bar. It’s a candy made in Tacoma, Washington by the people who make Almond Roca. You used to be able to get it along the West Coast, but I never find it anymore. My uncle lived in Tacoma when I was growing up, so when he’d come to visit every summer he’d bring us boxes and boxes of the “seconds” from the factory. He’d bring the original flavor (a sweet vanilla cream) and he’d bring my favorite…peanut butter.

Now, I’m totally going out on a limb here and saying that these copycats are better than a peanut butter cup. And I totally think they are. I even think they’re better than the original mountain bars.

The Peanut Butter Mountain Bars were really, really good…but the peanut butter could be a little dry. When I made my copycats, I made the peanut butter more smooth. And it’s amazing.

What sets these apart from regular peanut butter cups (or buckeyes or any other PB&C candy) is that the top coating of chocolate has chopped peanuts in it. It adds crunch, texture, and WOW to the candy.

These are perfect for a Valentine gift for your PB loving sweetheart. They’re perfect for a birthday gift, Christmas, or because tomorrow is Monday.

Even if you’ve never heard of a Mountain Bar before, you’re going to LOVE these.

Peanut Butter Mountain Bars Copycat Recipe by crazyforcrust.com

My husband actually ate one of them (!!!!) and loved it. That makes me almost as happy as him wearing his rainbow loom. :)

Peanut Butter Mountain Bars

Peanut Butter Mountain Bars

• 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 16 ounces chocolate Candiquik (or Almond Bark or Candy Melts)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped peanuts

1. Beat melted butter, peanut butter, and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric or hand mixer. Slowly beat in powdered sugar until mixture comes together. You should be able to form balls of candy that hold together.
  2. Drop tablespoon sized balls onto a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Chill while you prepare the chocolate.
  3. When ready to make candy, line a new cookie sheet with wax paper. Melt your chocolate according to package directions. If it’s cold in your kitchen, it might be helpful to line an electric griddle with an old kitchen towel on low heat (about 200°F) and place the bowl of melted candy on top. It keeps the candy warm for you.
  4. Place 1 teaspoon of chocolate evenly spaced on the prepared cookie sheet, one for each ball of candy you made. Spread it slightly. Place a rolled ball of candy in the center of each teaspoon of chocolate.
  5. Mix the chopped peanuts into the remaining chocolate. Cover each ball of candy with 1-2 teaspoons of the peanutty chocolate. Use your spoon to spread it so that the chocolate top meets the bottom under the ball, to seal. Chill to harden.

Mountain Bars

Mountain Bars

Peanut Butter Cheeseball Pops

Peanut Butter Cheeseball Pops (3 of 5)w

Butterscotch Squares

Butterscotch Squares (4 of 4)w

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bark (would be great with Valentine sprinkles!)

Patriotic Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bark by crazyforcrust.com | A quick and easy red, white, and blue treat for the 4th!

Galactic Crunch by The Domestic Rebel
Orange Julius Fudge by Shugary Sweets
Hostess Cupcakes by Something Swanky

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

60 Responses to “Peanut Butter Mountain Bars”

1. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on January 19, 2014 at 5:29 am (#)

These look pretty fabulous! I have never had one before but I love the fact that there are peanuts in the chocolate! And rainbow loom….it has taken over my world! :)

2. Jamie @ Dishing Out Health posted on January 19, 2014 at 6:00 am (#)

Wow these all look fantastic! As far as i’m concerned, peanut butter and chocolate is the best combo on the planet. I’ll need to give these a shot! The short ingredient list is also very appealing :)

3. Tieghan Gerard posted on January 19, 2014 at 6:03 am (#)

I have never heard of these, but I am always down for some peanut butter and chocolate. Best combo around!

4. Amicia Rai posted on January 19, 2014 at 6:13 am (#)

Ohohoho delicious! :D Peanut butter and chocolate is my favourite combination! :D

5. Hallie @ The Wordy Baker posted on January 19, 2014 at 6:22 am (#)

These look sooo good! Peanut butter and chocolate are such a great combination. I may have to make these to see if they are indeed better than peanut butter cups…

6. Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) posted on January 19, 2014 at 7:37 am (#)

These bars look absolutely amazing!

7. Amber posted on January 19, 2014 at 8:55 am (#)

These look so good! I’m addicted to peanut butter cups…I might have to make some tonight.

8. Bryn posted on January 19, 2014 at 10:24 am (#)

Oh I am so with you on the sexy rainbow loom bracelet wearing dad train. There’s something about the white and red bracelet my husband wears (go cards!) that my 5 year made him…. Can’t for the life of remember to put mine on, but he rocks his proudly every single day :).
    I’ll make him these mountain candies as a reward.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 19th, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Glad I’m not alone in the forgetting category! :) Thanks Bryn!

9. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on January 19, 2014 at 11:00 am (#)

YES! I need one of these right now. I am “juicing” all day, I really should stop looking at my computer.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 19th, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I need a juicing day! :) But then I wouldn’t be able to work, lol.

10. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on January 19, 2014 at 12:12 pm (#)

You are killling me!! Peanut butter and chocolate are my ultimate weakness…!

11. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on January 19, 2014 at 12:14 pm (#)

awww Mel is SUCH a great dad!! You and Jordan are so lucky to have him! :)

and these definitely look delicious! the peanut butter is sooo smooth and tasty!

12. Lisa @ Je suis alimentageuse posted on January 19, 2014 at 12:39 pm (#)

Aw what a great dad. Those amazing and very easily veganizable! Yaaaay! I will make these the next time I need a pb choc fix.

13. Stephanie @ Back For Seconds posted on January 19, 2014 at 1:00 pm (#)

That is super sweet of Mel. What a great guy! I love everything about this post. The pictures are awesome, the recipe is simple, and the finished product looks killer! Putting these on the “must make asap” list! Pinned:)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 19th, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Thanks for the pin Stephanie!

14. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on January 19, 2014 at 1:18 pm (#)

I love that you came up with a PB version of these! Smart girl. Very, very smart! :) I need a dozen!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 19th, 2014 at 4:09 pm

It was only a matter of time…

15. Erin | The Emerging Foodie posted on January 19, 2014 at 1:36 pm (#)

Oh my yum, Dorothy! These look awesome! I love the crunch of peanuts. And now I want to go on a mission to Tacoma to hunt these down. But in the mean time, I’m pinning these and making them ASAP! Hope you’ve had a great weekend, Dorothy!

16. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on January 19, 2014 at 1:39 pm (#)

I’m now having a serious chocolate peanut butter craving…. NEED BOTH ASAP! Good thing I just spent 45 minutes on the treadmill :)

17. Amy posted on January 19, 2014 at 3:28 pm (#)

Mel splurged on candy for you??? AHHH HIP HIP HOORAY!!! That makes me so happy to read. And I’m sure it helped that it contains lots of PB. :) Hmm, what if you set the rainbow loom bracelet Jordan made you on top of your coffee maker every night before heading to bed? Since you can’t start your day without your coffee, you’d definitely see it every morning — maybe before she even woke up — and remember to wear it!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 19th, 2014 at 4:06 pm

It’s sitting near my computer, so you’d think I’d remember. Problem I have is that bracelets bug me when I’m working on my computer. I need to get in the habit of putting it on when I walk away!

• Amy replied on January 19th, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I can relate. The main thing I allow on my wrists are hair ties, and even then, they don’t stay on my wrist very long! ;) What if you turned it into a bookmark for your daily planner? Or an anklet? Would Jordan still be okay with that?

18. Regan posted on January 19, 2014 at 4:21 pm (#)

You are AWESOME!!!! I grew up in Seattle, and have not had a Mountain Bar in over 30 years! My Dad used to go the seconds shop in Tacoma, and he’d bring the giant box home…..and we’d all go nuts! No wonder we all had weight issues! lol Every now and then he’d get some of the Roca seconds, and those were devine!

Next time I visit my sister, I’m gonna make these Peanut Butter ones, and she’s gonna freak! LOL

Thanks a bunch!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 20th, 2014 at 7:04 am

I’m so glad they brought back memories! I love how food does that. Enjoy Regan!

19. Laurie F. posted on January 19, 2014 at 4:35 pm (#)

That filling looks like a See’s Bordeaux candy – yum! I’ll have to try it when the Niners play in the Super Bowl. By the way, I can’t seem to remember to wear my Rainbow Loom bracelet, either.

20. Joanna @ the knitlit twit posted on January 19, 2014 at 5:30 pm (#)

Better than a peanut butter cup? Oooh, this is why I try to keep a jar of peanut butter in the pantry, for emergency recipes such as this one.

21. Mom posted on January 19, 2014 at 5:59 pm (#)

Oh, these were the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are definitely better than the PB Mountain Bars and yes, I think even better than PB cups! It’s the creamy smooth PB plus the nutty crunch in the chocolate.
    And since you don’t wear bracelets, have Jordan make you a necklace and wear that every day! Or, wear the bracelet as an anklet.
    Love you, Mom

22. Ala posted on January 19, 2014 at 6:37 pm (#)

If this was a West Coast thing, I most definitely took a wrong turn somewhere because I don’t think I’ve ever encountered these before (then again, I just learned what Little Debbie was from my Mid-Western roommate last year…I guess we didn’t eat enough packaged sweets as kids!). If it’s better than a PB cup, I’m all in!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 20th, 2014 at 7:03 am

They are so good! I totally miss them in stores, haven’t seen them in probably 20 years!

23. Linda posted on January 19, 2014 at 7:01 pm (#)

These look really good and hardly anyone doesn’t like PB/chocolate! Better than a PB cup…worth the eating!! Thanks!!

24. Julie @ This Gal Cooks posted on January 19, 2014 at 7:20 pm (#)

These are some amazing little treats. Anything with peanut butter and chocolate steals my heart!

25. Zainab @ Blahnik Baker posted on January 19, 2014 at 7:35 pm (#)

These will be addicting so very much!! I can tell already. And will not last at all in our house.

26. Melissa @ Simply Sweets by Honeybee posted on January 20, 2014 at 4:11 am (#)

These look so good! There’s nothing better than the combo of peanut butter & chocolate.

27. Anna @ Garnish with Lemon posted on January 20, 2014 at 6:48 am (#)

Oh man, you’re killing me with this flavor combo. Love the addition of the crunchy peanuts, too!

28. Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking posted on January 20, 2014 at 7:51 am (#)

I loooove chocolate and PB! I also think it is super cute when my husband remembers to wear his rainbow loom bracelet our niece made him every time he sees her.

29. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction posted on January 20, 2014 at 8:33 am (#)

I’ve never heard of Mountain Bars before, apparently I’ve been missing out! Love these!

30. Jess posted on January 20, 2014 at 8:43 am (#)

Yum, love chocolate and peanut butter- one of the best combo’s ever! I’m sure these taste as good as they look :)

31. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on January 20, 2014 at 8:56 am (#)

I believe you that these are better than a peanut butter cup. I mean look at that peanut buttery inside!

32. Samantha @ Five Heart Home posted on January 20, 2014 at 9:07 am (#)

Okay, I have never heard of Mountain Bars before and I have a PB-loving sweetheart…clearly I was intended to make these. (And I love the story about your hubby wearing Jordan’s Rainbow Loom bracelet…what a good daddy! :) )

33. Megan - The Emotional Baker posted on January 20, 2014 at 5:24 pm (#)

These look amazing! I love that there are peanuts in the chocolate coating. Can’t wait to bite into one of these :)

34. Pingback: Peanut Butter Pretzel Muddy Buddies - Crazy for Crust

35. Nancy @ gottagetbaked posted on January 22, 2014 at 8:41 pm (#)

I’m a west coast gal (albeit in Vancouver, Canada) and I’ve never heard of Mountain Bars before but they sound freaking delicious! I love how easy the recipe is, Dorothy. That means I can get my chocolate & peanut butter fix as soon as humanly possible!

36. Stephanie posted on January 24, 2014 at 5:26 am (#)

Oh my goodness, I am from Tacoma Washington and I grew up on these. My dad had a friend who worked for Brown and Hailey, so we always had plenty of Mountain Bars in the house. I can’t wait to try these. I miss these so much. Thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 24th, 2014 at 6:25 am

I’m glad they brought back some memories for you Stephanie! :) Enjoy!!

37. Liz posted on January 24, 2014 at 8:13 am (#)

Stumbled across on Pinterest just now and they look SO GOOD. Thanks for the recipe!

38. Pingback: Peanut Butter Mountain Bars | Defining Good Taste

39. Katie posted on January 26, 2014 at 10:16 am (#)

These little treats look absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing your recipe, I can’t wait to try them.

40. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on January 26, 2014 at 10:40 pm (#)

I grew up in Washington state, so I remember these from when I was a kid. You’re a genius!

41. Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake posted on January 29, 2014 at 9:33 am (#)

These look amazing!! I’ve never had a mountain bar but this peanut butter version sounds right up my alley!

42. Kay posted on February 1, 2014 at 6:32 am (#)

My favorite Mountain Bar was the cherry flavored one. I live in Texas, but we used to go visit my grandma in Spokane. Wow! I haven’t had a Mountain Bar in at least 25 years. I need to try this recipe! Thanks!

43. christa posted on March 8, 2014 at 7:13 pm (#)

I love peanut butter mountain bars. You can still buy them in smaller stores in the northwest. They are one of my favorite, still made with wholesome ingredients and only 2 for a dollar. Can’t wait to try your version.

44. Lori posted on March 14, 2014 at 3:25 pm (#)

I am a little late to the party here. I tried these last night, and they are so good! I crushed salted pretzels and stirred them into some of the chocolate as a substitution for the chopped peanuts. I liked the sweet-salty taste and the added texture. These will not last long at my house!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 14th, 2014 at 4:39 pm

That is an amazing idea – the pretzels. I’m in LOVE!

45. Mary Ellen/ Whisk Together posted on June 17, 2014 at 11:36 am (#)

Did you use salted or unsalted peanuts? Roasted or raw? Soooo many choices out there! I’m guessing salted roasted peanuts… but wanted to make sure!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 17th, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Yes I used salted! I believe they were dry roasted. I usually just buy party peanuts (or similar) in the nut aisle at the grocery store. Nothing fancy!