Pumpkin Toffee Gooey Bars
These Pumpkin Toffee Gooey Bars are my favorite Gooey Bar yet! Pumpkin, spices, and toffee make these the best Fall dessert!
Some random thoughts I’ve had in my head the last few days:
1. Jordan is going to have to do a biography report this Spring. My immediate first thought: she’s going to want to choose Hannah Montana. It’ll be named “A Miley Cyrus Biography: Twerking for Tweens.”
2. Never go to Costco on a Friday at lunch time. I know this, yet my brain refuses to allow me to get there before 11am.
3. When you’re at Costco at 11am on a Friday, be sure to leave your cart in the center of the major throughway so you can go peruse the sausage samples. I’ll wait for you, no problem.
4. I’m excited that Tuesday will be “after Labor Day” because that means Watch What Happens Live will be back on. I miss my Andy!
5. Big Bang Theory is one of the best shows EVER. If you’ve never watched it, start.
7. It’s September, one of my favorite months. And since we are officially out of August I can now shove pumpkin in your face an average of once a week until November 30. So there.
You knew it was only a matter of time before I made Pumpkin Gooey Bars right? I mean, the wild success of my Funfetti Gooey Bars (I so did not see that one coming) has made it so that I will make every flavor of Gooey Bar I possibly can.
These are Fall in a bite, and I want it to be Fall so bad I ate lots of bites in case it would make it be here sooner. (Seriously, still forecast 90s this week. I’m so over it.)
As usual, these start with a cake mix. Instead of using butter, I used pumpkin puree. The bars are layered with sweetened condensed milk, toffee bits, and pecans.
They bake up seriously gooey. You can tell that from the photos, and in this case gooey = good.
Okay, that’s it. I’m headed to the freezer where I hid the rest of these bars.
What random is happening in your life right now?
Pumpkin Toffee Gooey Bars
Yield: 12 bars
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup toffee bits
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk (I use fat-free)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9” square pan with foil and spray liberally with cooking spray.
- Mix cake mix, pumpkin, egg, pumpkin pie spice, and flour with a hand mixer or stand mixer. Batter will be gooey.
- Press half the batter into the prepared pan. I found it easier to spray my hands with cooking spray before pressing so the batter wouldn’t stick to my hands.
- Sprinkle pecans and toffee bits over the top of the bottom layer. Pour sweetened condensed milk over evenly over the nuts and toffee bits. Tip: spray your measuring cup with cooking spray, then pour the sweetened condensed milk into the cup. It will pour out easier. Note: you can transfer any leftover milk to a small sealable container and freeze until you need it again.
- Drop spoonfuls of the remaining dough evenly over the top of the bars. Spray your hands again and press gently to evenly cover.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until they are golden around the edges. Cool completely before slicing. (I often refrigerate them for a few hours before cutting.)