Sep 30

Candy Corn Magic Bars

These Candy Corn Magic Bars are perfect for Halloween!

Candy Corn Magic Bars | crazyforcrust.com | #candycorn #magicbar #halloween

Tomorrow is October 1. Um, what? I’m at a loss for words over the fact that it’s OCTOBER tomorrow.

October means Halloween. Which means I need to start turning out Halloween treats. Witches, Ghosts, Pumpkins, Eyeballs. Problem is…every time I start thinking Halloween I’m coming up crickets.

So, until I get my cutesy inspiration back, I’m going to stick with my black t-shirt of goodies: the magic bar.

Specifically Candy Corn Magic Bars. A seven-layer magic bar made with candy corn. So it’s perfect for Halloween!

Candy Corn Magic Bars | crazyforcrust.com | #candycorn #magicbar #halloween

I am one of those people who doesn’t really like candy corn straight up. I like it in things…like mixes or cookies or fudge. But alone, it’s not my favorite. Actually, it’s those dreaded two words…too sweet.

But no. When you add it to magic bars, it’s not too sweet. All that other sugar cuts the sweetness. Or…something. :)

Candy Corn Magic Bars | crazyforcrust.com | #candycorn #magicbar #halloween

Let’s talk layers!

Graham cracker crust. (To make it easy, I used a box of crumbs. Use whatever you have!)

White chocolate chips.

Peanut butter chips. (Because peanut butter + candy corn = Butterfinger flavor.)

Coconut. (A magic bar staple.)

Candy Corn. (Uh, duh.)

Sweetened Condensed Milk. (Best. Stuff. EVER.)

These magic bars are way too good. Addicting, even. The candy corn is so pretty on the top. These would be a wow at a Halloween party…or just because you want to eat them.

Candy Corn Magic Bars | crazyforcrust.com | #candycorn #magicbar #halloween

I think this is the mood I’m in for Halloween. Oh, and this too.

Candy Corn Magic Bars

Yield: 24 bars

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
  • 1 cup peanut butter chips
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 1 cup candy corn
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9x13” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  2. I used a box of graham cracker crumbs, but if you only have actual graham crackers, process them in a food processor until they are a fine crumb. Stir into butter. Press into the bottom of your prepared pan.
  3. Sprinkle white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, coconut, and candy corn over the top. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top of the bars.
  4. Bake for about 25 minutes, until they get golden around the edges. Cool completely before slicing into bars.

Notes:

If you can’t find peanut butter chips, you can use butterscotch, or add more white chocolate chips, or use regular chocolate chips.
I've had some complaints that the candy corn either melts in the oven, or that it becomes too hard to eat. These bars didn't give me that problem, and I'm not sure why they would give different results to others, except that all ovens bake differently and maybe all candy corn is not created equal. A solution if you're worried about that result is to leave out the candy corn during baking, and sprinkle it on as soon as they are removed from the oven. This should melt them enough that they stick, but they won't become hard. I have not tried that method, but I think it would solve the problems some are having. Also - ALWAYS use FRESH Candy Corn. Candy Corn does not age well!

**Note: I’ve had some complaints that the candy corn either melts in the oven, or that it becomes too hard to eat. These bars didn’t give me that problem, and I’m not sure why they would give different results to others, except that all ovens bake differently and maybe all candy corn is not created equal. A solution if you’re worried about that result is to leave out the candy corn during baking, and sprinkle it on as soon as they are removed from the oven. This should melt them enough that they stick, but they won’t become hard. I have not tried that method, but I think it would solve the problems some are having. I’m adding this note in the recipe as well.**

Peanut Butter Cookie Pops

Butterfinger Fudge

butterfinger fudge

Monster Magic Bars

monster magic bars

Candy Corn White Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats by Love from the Oven
Candy Corn Fudge by Something Swanky
Candy Corn Cupcake Cake by Simply Sweets by Honeybee
Candy Corn Cheesecake By I Heart Nap Time

76 Responses to “Candy Corn Magic Bars”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on September 30, 2013 at 2:54 pm (#)

Omg you stole my idea! :) Well, not really, but TODAY I just picked up some candy corn and was going to make some bars with it. Wasn’t quite sure where I was going with my recipe, but I know I won’t be making Magic Bars now…but gosh, I kind of want to! They look SO GOOD. Sevenlayer/magicbars are my jam. I l love them, hugely. These would be dangerous to have around. Pinned! And like you, I don’t eat CC by itself much but baking with it is so fun!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 1st, 2013 at 6:20 am

LOL, I guess candy corn bars are the bees knees! Three people told me that, ha! :)

2. Tahnycooks posted on September 30, 2013 at 3:26 pm (#)

These are perfect for my sons bday class treat, thank you very much!!!!

3. Jackie posted on September 30, 2013 at 3:33 pm (#)

So yummy!

4. Madison posted on September 30, 2013 at 3:43 pm (#)

I’ve been craaaaaving candy corn and looking for an excuse to buy a whole bag. HECK yes! This is my excuse now!

5. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on September 30, 2013 at 3:51 pm (#)

I’m not fan of candy corn either. I’ve never baked it with however … new concept! “Maybe all that other sugar cuts the sweetness” -> too funny! I love it! Please, don’t stop making magic bars; they are one of my favorites! So easy and such a decadent result. These are so pretty, too, your pictures are gorgeous. Curious, did you change the color of each letter individually? I’ve tried that once, but I could never get them all to align right:) All in all, an awesome recipe Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 1st, 2013 at 6:18 am

I could make 1,000,000 versions and not be done! :)

6. L. Fena posted on September 30, 2013 at 4:21 pm (#)

The Peanut Butter Cookie Pops in a cup of candy corn and Butterfinger Fudge are sooooo cute (or, as the 10year olds these days like to say, “totes adorbs”). I’ll have to make them for Halloween! Thanks, Dorothy – you are so inspired ( and great photography, by the way).

7. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen posted on September 30, 2013 at 4:57 pm (#)

Dorothy, these Candy Corn Magic Bars are stinkin’ cute for Halloween and so clever! Love all the Fall colors in these bars. Thanks for sharing, girl. Pinning!

8. Laura R posted on September 30, 2013 at 5:48 pm (#)

You are a magic bar genius! I can’t wait to see what you create next.

9. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on September 30, 2013 at 5:51 pm (#)

Seriously peanut butter and candy corn you get a butterfingers flavor, I’m headed to the kitchen right now!!

10. Melissa @ Simply Sweets by Honeybee posted on September 30, 2013 at 5:55 pm (#)

I love candy corn. These look so delicious :)

11. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on September 30, 2013 at 6:12 pm (#)

Oh my gawwwsh, these look so good. I think I am on my 9th bag of candy corn this season….I’m such an addict.

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 1st, 2013 at 6:17 am

Candy Corn and red vines, huh? :)

12. Nora (Buttercream Fanatic) posted on September 30, 2013 at 6:13 pm (#)

What a brilliant (and easy) Halloween treat!

13. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on September 30, 2013 at 6:16 pm (#)

Great minds think alike…I have candy corn sitting here to make some sort of bar treat. I wasn’t thinking magic bars though…but now I totally am because these are so crazy good looking. And too sweet? Never!!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 1st, 2013 at 6:17 am

Ha, you’re the third person that’s told me that! :)

14. Tieghan posted on September 30, 2013 at 7:06 pm (#)

Magic bars rule!! The sweetened condensed milk layer is my favorite! These are killer! I too need to get my Halloween thinking cap on. It’s time!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 1st, 2013 at 6:17 am

I’m SO not there yet!!

15. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on September 30, 2013 at 7:45 pm (#)

Eek! I think I just died – these look amazing Dorothy (I love candy corn. Like really, really love it).

16. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on September 30, 2013 at 7:49 pm (#)

These are magic bars! I know I could make them magically disappear! So yummy!

17. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on September 30, 2013 at 8:20 pm (#)

I used to barter my candy corn for candy bars. I just don’t get the obsession with candy corn, but these bars are super cute! What a fun way to use them!

18. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on September 30, 2013 at 9:54 pm (#)

I don’t eat candy corn on its on either, not the business. But magic bars and candy corn.. now that is the business!! LOVE IT! And yes oct 1st what the heck?! How did that happen! I just got back from target and there are nestle festive chocolate chip bags with red and green morsels… oct, nov, dec seem to go by the fastest for me! Here we go ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 1st, 2013 at 6:12 am

YES! Christmas!! What the what now?

19. Ashley posted on October 1, 2013 at 4:55 am (#)

I’m totally with you – I just don’t like candy corn by itself either. Which I guess is a good thing since it’s one less thing I want to snack on! haha These bars sound great!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 1st, 2013 at 6:11 am

Glad it’s not just me! I’d go through a whole bag a day if I was in love with it. :)

20. tanya posted on October 1, 2013 at 6:40 am (#)

Now this is what I call a TREAT Dorothy!!

21. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie posted on October 1, 2013 at 7:41 am (#)

I’m not a big fan of candy corn, but they look really cool!

22. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on October 1, 2013 at 8:37 am (#)

These look AMAZING! I wish you could magically send one over to me for a lunch treat :) Please!

23. Pingback: Stuff I’ve Gotta Share and You’ve Gotta See | Recipe Girl

24. Wendy posted on October 1, 2013 at 10:24 am (#)

I am the odd one here who loves candy corn nibbled one color at a time. :) I hadn’t even imagined baking with them! I love how the candy corn turns your world famous magic bars into Halloween Magic Bars!! Candy corn now comes in seasonal colors for the different holidays ( I still have some pretty pastel ones left over from Easter clearance candy.) I am filing this under decorating ideas so that I don’t forget this recipe can be used for spring or winter holidays too! Thanks for the recipe and the inspiration, Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 2nd, 2013 at 1:35 pm

When I eat candy corn, that’s how I do it!! :)

25. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on October 1, 2013 at 12:27 pm (#)

I actually cant stand candy corn either like you said its too sweet but these bars look perfect for Halloween!

27. Daren Honeysett posted on October 1, 2013 at 2:55 pm (#)

Butterfinger Fudge Il have by the boatload

28. Erin | The Emerging Foodie posted on October 1, 2013 at 4:36 pm (#)

Umm, yes. Yes please. These look amazing, Dorothy! Dying inside over here.

29. Yvonne @ bitter baker posted on October 1, 2013 at 8:27 pm (#)

OMG, my husband would go nuts over these – he loooves candy corn!

30. Sarah | The Sugar Hit posted on October 1, 2013 at 10:40 pm (#)

YUM – these look awesome. Magic bars always remind me of being a kid. So I love to make them now, and these are an awesome twist.

31. Kristin posted on October 2, 2013 at 6:00 pm (#)

I don’t think I’ll be buying anymore candy corn. I’ve made myself sick one too many times this fall lol.

But these look AMAZING. Like, maybe-I-should-go-buy-some-amazing…

32. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on October 6, 2013 at 11:48 am (#)

Oh yum! I love magic bars – especially with Halloween candy!

33. Pingback: 30 Fabulous Halloween Treats

34. Pingback: #FridayRoundUP: Candy Corn Craze | With a Side of ThriftinessWith a Side of Thriftiness

35. Kay posted on October 12, 2013 at 9:52 pm (#)

These were really delicious! However, I don’t see how you can keep the candy corn from melting so that it doesn’t even look like candy corn! Mine melted right into the bar. I was thinking about making a second batch and perhaps putting the candy corn on the top right after it comes out of the oven to prevent this and to help keep the candy corn shape. However, I don’t think this will work as the sweetened condensed milk on top would be hardened by the time it comes out of the oven so the candy corn wouldn’t stick. How did you manage to keep the candy corn from melting?

• Lisa replied on October 13th, 2013 at 2:06 pm

The same thing happened to me, the candy corn melted and it didn’t look too appealing.

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 13th, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I’m sorry that happened Lisa! Some of mine melted and some held the shape. I guess maybe different ovens cook them differently?

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 13th, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I’m not sure Kay! Maybe it’s difference in ovens? Some of them melted, but some stayed the same. Possibly the ones underneath the SCM melted, the ones on top didn’t. I wonder if they were sprinkled on top the SCM they wouldn’t melt as much? I’ll have to try them again!

• Jeanie replied on November 2nd, 2013 at 1:57 am

The same thing happens to me whenever I put candy corn in the oven. The candy corn comes out so hard and sticky it’s too hard on my teeth. Can the bars be saved somehow, after the fact? Maybe heating up each serving before eating? Thanks.

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 2nd, 2013 at 10:27 am

That would help for sure. Also, I guess you could add the candy corn on top as soon as they come out of the oven. That would melt them slightly into the bars, to make them stick, but not make them have that result. It’s so strange – mine weren’t hard. And I was worried about that, but when they turned out okay I didn’t think it wouldn’t!

36. Amy posted on October 13, 2013 at 9:32 pm (#)

I’m right there with you — I cannot eat candy corn by itself. At all. Even for a huge sweet tooth like me, I still can barely nibble through one piece! (And it tastes a little chalky to me too…) But that’s a great idea to use them in your magic bars! Very creative Dorothy, and perfect for Halloween. :)

37. Pingback: Candy Corn Oreo Truffles - Shugary Sweets

38. Pingback: Candy Corn Treats

39. Jo Skidmore posted on October 27, 2013 at 9:02 pm (#)

What am I doing wrong. My oven is pretty spot on with all other recipes, but with magic bars, they just don’t hold together – like they are under cooked- suggetions?…

Cooked and cooled and now I have put the pan back in th oven at a very low temp to possibly dry them out a bit, but then again, I have not a clue about baking so not sure this will solve the problem..

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 28th, 2013 at 6:44 am

I’m sorry Jo! Is the center not done? I know that sometimes with magic bars the center few bars are stickier than the edges. I think it depends on all the ingredients. I usually just cook them until the edges are browned and once they set they’re okay in the middle, just stickier. If you chill them a bit they may firm up to aid in cutting. They’ll get gooey again as they come to room temperature, but at least you’ll be able to cut them! I know that these bars were sticky – I think the candy corn made them stickier than regular magic bars.

40. Pingback: Halloween Treats: Candy Corn Magic Bars - Mommysavers.com | Online Coupons & Savings

41. Pingback: Candy Corn: 20 Sweet Treats & Crafts | The Divine Miss Mommy | Atlanta Georgia Mom Blogger | Travel Blogger

42. Pingback: what to do with leftover halloween candy (34 fabulous recipes) | kojodesigns

43. Pingback: 30 Candy Corn Sweet Treats - The Crafted Sparrow

44. Jamielyn@iheartnaptime posted on September 16, 2014 at 6:48 am (#)

These look amazing! Perfect for Halloween!

45. Pingback: #CandyCorn Week: Favorite Candy Corn Recipes! | Bulk Candy and Chocolate for Corporate Events and Parties

46. Pingback: 50+ Candy Corn Recipes - Kendall Rayburn

47. Pingback: Peanut Butter Candy Corn Pizza

48. Pingback: 21 Candy Corn Inspired Recipes | Mother's Home

49. Pingback: It's a Candy Corn Craze | Pin-n-Tell

50. Pingback: 50 Halloween Snacks

51. Jen B. posted on October 18, 2014 at 3:03 pm (#)

These are amazing! I substituted butterscotch chips for the white chocolate chips and added some semi-sweet chocolate chips. I have found my new favorite dessert! Thank you.

52. Pingback: Reality Checker Candy Corn Recipes – Halloween Recipes – ALL YOU | Deals, coupons, savings, sweepstakes and more…

53. Pingback: 15 Candy Corn-Inspired Recipes for Halloween - The Recipe Daily

54. Pingback: 30 Candy Corn Sweet Treats

55. Pingback: Five on Friday- Halloween Edition

56. Pingback: 40 Things To Do With Leftover Halloween Candy! - One Good Thing by Jillee