Apr 08

Skinny Chocolate Muffins {Only 102 calories each!}

Want a satisfying muffin with only 102 calories? These Skinny Chocolate Muffins pack 3.5 grams of protein and you can still have chocolate for breakfast!

Skinny-chocolate-muffins11-1w

So I started working with a personal trainer. I’ve always resisted doing it, but I switched gyms and it came with a really great deal on 3 sessions, so I figured I’d try it out.

He started out by asking me what I typically ate in a day. I told him the “truth” – you know. The one you’d tell your doctor?

“Bran flakes for breakfast, coffee. More coffee, a muffin, An apple after my workout. A frozen WW pizza and five cookies Some hummus and turkey for lunch, and a healthy dinner. And a huge small dessert.”

Then he weighed me and calculated my body fat. I closed my eyes during both. One, I know I’m overweight – my pants are tight. Knowing the number will cause me to eat five pounds of cookies and hate myself after. As for the body fat calculation…I have no idea what it was and I don’t want to know. Plus, I don’t even really believe that holding a Xbox controller straight out in front of me for 30 seconds can tell anyone anything but that I am able to hold out my arms in front of me with my eyes closed for 30 seconds. Electrical current? Pffft.

Anyway, during our first session he ran me through some drills and gave me some pointers. Today he actually came over while I was running and told me what intervals to do. (7 mph for 1 minute, 5 mph for 1 minute, walk for 1 minute, repeat for 30 minutes. I had sweat where I didn’t know you could have sweat, so that’s a keeper.)

One thing my trainer told me that I didn’t realize is that I’m not eating enough for breakfast. I need more protein – and if I eat more in the morning I’ll be fuller all day. I do eat breakfast – bran cereal – every day, so I thought that was enough. Turns out, it’s not. So, I’m trying to add in more protein into my morning.

Of course, my first thought was to make muffins. That’s the logical thing to do, right? Have a training session, go make muffins.

BUT – these are healthy muffins. Skinny. Only 102 calories each and they have 3.5 grams of protein each!

They also have 3.7 grams of fiber, because they have a secret. I lied by omission.

Skinny-chocolate-muffins15-2w

These are Skinny Chocolate BRAN Muffins. See why I lied? You wouldn’t have come to visit if you’d know that. I apologize for my pathological lying. I mean, I did it before, when I posted Pumpkin Streusel Muffins. But you liked those, right?

I really like bran muffins (homemade ones anyway). I’ve eaten them since I was a kid. My Nana always made them for me, from the recipe on the side of the All Bran box. Over the years I’ve edited them to make them more healthy. Now I’m adding chocolate, because chocolate makes everything better.

The secret to the chocolate is to use Chocolate Almond Milk. I used Almond Breeze, and it adds a nice but not overwhelming chocolate flavor. The milk has sugar in it, so I only added 1 tablespoon of sugar to the batter. These muffins are not overly sweet, but perfect for the morning. If you want them sweeter, you can add 1-2 additional tablespoons of sugar, but it will alter the calorie count.

These muffins have no oil or butter at all. Instead of oil, I used Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt. I love subbing Greek yogurt for fat. Even though you wouldn’t think it, the yogurt actually keeps the muffins moist!

Then, for a little extra chocolate, I added a sprinkling of mini chocolate chips on the top. It doesn’t add much in the way of calories, but you get a little more chocolate! More chocolate = Better!

These muffins are the perfect breakfast. They aren’t too sweet, and they have substance. I also like them as a post-workout snack. They are best enjoyed within 2 days, but I always freeze them the day I make them. Then I have them handy, whenever I want one!

So, I’m telling you – chocolate for breakfast is okay. I think my trainer would be okay with that.

Skinny-chocolate-muffins12-3w

Er…maybe I should just not tell him. ;)

What do you eat for breakfast? High protein? I need ideas!

Skinny Chocolate Muffins {Only 102 calories each!}

Yield: 12 muffins

1 muffin

1.8 grams

Skinny Chocolate Muffins {Only 102 calories each!}

A skinny chocolate muffin with only 102 calories and 3.5 grams of protein!

• 1 1/4 cups Chocolate Almond Milk
  • 2 cups All Bran cereal
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips.

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners and spray each liner well with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
  2. Place Chocolate Almond Milk in a large bowl. Add bran cereal and let soak for about 2 minutes. Stir in egg and Greek yogurt. Stir in sugar, baking powder, salt and flour. Stir just until combined.
  3. Evenly distribute between muffin cups. I use an ice cream scoop for this step. You can fill the liners pretty full, they won’t rise too much. Sprinkle the tops with mini chocolate chips.
  4. Bake for about 14 minutes, until a toothpick comes out almost (but not totally) clean. Serve warm.
  5. Best eaten within 2 days. Freeze the leftovers for a quick breakfast or snack! (I pop mine into the microwave for about 30 seconds straight from the freezer!)

(Calorie count and nutritional information was calculated through SparkPeople.)

Pumpkin Streusel Muffins {Bran, low-cal}

Banana Breakfast Cookies

Banana Breakfast Cookies by www.crazyforcrust.com #breakfast #cookie @crazyforcrust

Skinny Banana Blueberry Muffins by Sally’s Baking Addiction
Healthy Chocolate No-Bake Cookies by Sweet Treats and More
Dark Chocolate Overnight Oats by Something Swanky

104 Responses to “Skinny Chocolate Muffins {Only 102 calories each!}”

1. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on April 8, 2013 at 3:15 pm (#)

I can never decide if I love or loathe the idea of having a personal trainer…I feel like they’d need to be nice, but also firm enough to tell me what I need to do…yeah..

*sigh* muffins. I hope they’re just like these muffins!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 8th, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Yeah, I don’t see it as a long term thing. Ha! Thanks Kayle!

2. Jess posted on April 8, 2013 at 3:18 pm (#)

This looks amazing!

I would LOVE for you to join my Link Up this week!

3. Back for Seconds posted on April 8, 2013 at 4:13 pm (#)

Brilliant much? Love this recipe!! I think it’s fabulous when skinny and chocolate happen in the same baked good :)
    I haven’t worked out in ages…I’d be so scared to get a trainer. The phrase “They’re all gonna laugh at you” comes to mind. Haha. I’m proud of you! You’re gonna do awesome :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 8th, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Right, Miss Skinny Minny you! No way would they laugh!! :) Thanks so much Stephanie!

4. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on April 8, 2013 at 4:15 pm (#)

Good for you for working with a trainer AND for being honest with him. They can’t help you if you don’t tell the truth, right! And 100 cals…amazing! I am not really a cal counter or a tracker per se but I do know that at 100 cals, I could easily have 2 and not feel bad. AND they look moist and soft and I love choc almond milk!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 8th, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I was so surprised when I input them! I was curious, because I thought they were okay – and I usually eat two, so even that’s not too bad! Thanks Averie!

5. Erin @ Table for 7 posted on April 8, 2013 at 4:40 pm (#)

These are great! My pants are a bit tight too..so, these are perfect right now :) New follower of yours on Bloglovin!

6. Karissa K. @ Sweet As A Cookie posted on April 8, 2013 at 4:46 pm (#)

I recently started eating 3 egg whites with 1 egg yolk scrambled with veggies.
    I’ve been feeling a lot more awake during the day.

These muffins are awesome! My boyfriend would love them!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 8th, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I need to try mixing a yolk with a couple whites. Just making whites skeeves me out, lol. :) Thanks Karissa!

7. Erin @ Erin's DC Kitchen posted on April 8, 2013 at 5:18 pm (#)

My perfect breakfast is two warm hard boiled eggs and a big biscuit. I eat that and don’t even think about food the rest of the morning! Also, sometimes quick Quaker Oats with raisins keeps me full for a while too.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 8th, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I wish I liked eggs more. I force down scrambled, but that’s it. Ditto oatmeal. Ha, all the stuff that’s good for you gives me texture issues. The irony is not lost on me… :) Thanks Erin!

8. Tieghan posted on April 8, 2013 at 5:48 pm (#)

Working with a training! That is awesome, good for you! These muffins look killer, I can not wait to make them. I need some lighter dessert!

9. Faith posted on April 8, 2013 at 6:00 pm (#)

I’ve been looking for some healthy recipes to get over my post-easter sugar binge, so I’m really excited to see healthy, skinny, and chocolate all in one! And yay for exercise! I’d bee way to scared to tell the truth to a personal trainer OR doctor so kudos to you! Would Chocolate Soy Milk work in place of the Almond milk? I drink soy milk more regularly so I usually have some around my house more than almond milk.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 8th, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I’m sure it would! I’ve never used soy milk, but I think you can sub it out good. Let me know if you try it! (Depending on the amount of sugar in the soy, you may want to add more – they aren’t super sweet, but the chocolate almond milk has significant sugar!)

10. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on April 8, 2013 at 6:17 pm (#)

good for you and the trainer, Dorothy! That’s amazing and a good step in the right direction. I need to try that interval. I just wrote it down and am going to try it out this week. I’m excited to SWEAT! I, too, need to eat more protein. I love reading about your healthier recipes and I can’t believe these only have about 100 cals. Amazing. Thanks for linking up to my muffins!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 8th, 2013 at 6:44 pm

You’re welcome! Thanks Sally! :)

11. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on April 8, 2013 at 6:31 pm (#)

Work it girl!! I NEED to go to the gym.. like yesterday! No time for me lately..but of course time to stuff my face! I wish I could stuff my face with these muffins.. then maybe I wouldn’t feel so guilty for not seeing my good old friend gym lately! These muffins look super chocolatey and tasty! I have actually never had a bran muffin! So I am totally intrigued :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 8th, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I think there is just a bran stigma. Like it’s for digestion or old people. Totally not the case!! Thanks Elizabeth!

12. Wendy posted on April 8, 2013 at 7:19 pm (#)

Congrats on committing to a trainer. I found that having a trainer, when I first started working out, kept me going to the gym because I had an appointment. Its so helpful to find healthier ways to satisfy cravings. Your muffins are a treat and healthier at the same time! Because I watch carbs as opposed to calories, I am not sure if my favorite high protein breakfast items would work for you. Almond meal pancakes? Omelet crepes?

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Almond meal sounds good! I need to try more of that sort of thing. :) Thanks Wendy!

13. Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations posted on April 8, 2013 at 7:34 pm (#)

Yes, yes, yes!! I love grab and go muffin breakfast especially if it involves chocolate!

14. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on April 8, 2013 at 8:28 pm (#)

Your theory of going to the gym means you can come home and bake muffins is totally how I like to work out too :-) Awesome job going to a trainer…I should probably do that, but…I really don’t want to know the awful truth! I am going to try that run interval thing though. I usually do run full blast for a minute (LOL full blast right now is 5.5…I need to get back to the 8) and then walk a minute. I like having an extra minute of a light jog in between the walk and full run. Although sweating in place I don’t want to doesn’t actually excite me much :-) I’m going to need a few muffins like this at home waiting to tell me what a great job I did!!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I usually run at 6 max. At 7 I have to hold on ha! And even at 6 I have to slow down occasionally. I’m super slow! Thanks Jocelyn!

15. Cookin Canuck posted on April 8, 2013 at 8:44 pm (#)

I love a good light muffin, and these definitely look like ones to try! And I am right with you on the interval workouts…I am drenched by the end, but it feels great.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Yes! I’m loving it. Thanks Dara!

16. Christi @ Love From The Oven posted on April 8, 2013 at 8:56 pm (#)

Yum! Will have to try them out, All Bran is an interesting addition! I love, love, love Greek yogurt! Such a great option for baking, knock out some fat and calories and pump up the protein – good stuff!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Thanks so much Christi! I hope you like them. :) Greek yogurt is growing on me…

17. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on April 8, 2013 at 11:26 pm (#)

Going to the gym is against my religion. But muffins are definitely on my good list. I remember in middle school, my mom used to buy a big box of Krusteaz bran muffin mix, and I’d make some for myself in one of those sandwich maker machines. It was the 90’s. Things were different then. I’d smother them in butter and honey every day. That probably negates any healthy effects. Good thing I used to dance six hours a day. Can’t wait to try these.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2013 at 2:17 pm

OMG those sandwich makers! I used to make muffins in them all the time!

18. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on April 8, 2013 at 11:54 pm (#)

I worked out with a personal trainer for a bit and it was super helpful! I am sure your gonna do great. Plus, your trainer is right, the more protein in the morning the better. These muffins are a good starting point. And they have chocolate, win, win.

19. Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies posted on April 9, 2013 at 6:39 am (#)

I always think I should get a personal trainer… but then I remember I dont even go the gym! Ooops… should do that part first ;-)

These muffins sounds great! I’ve actually never had a bran muffin, but I love the twig like bran cereal, so I think I’ll be a fan! Thanks for the recipe

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2013 at 2:14 pm

That’s what goes in the muffins – so I know you’ll like them! Thanks Kelly!

20. Emily {Pink Tiger in the Kitchen} posted on April 9, 2013 at 6:59 am (#)

DOROTHY! I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am about these muffins!! I always get a little bit of excitement about “skinny” recipes but then everyone ruins them by using bananas (which I LOATHE) so I’m so pumped that these don’t have that ingredient!! I always fall into the same breakfast rut of cheese grits or peanut butter toast since I don’t eat eggs so I’m so jazzed that I can throw these beauties into the mix!! YAY!!!!

21. tanya posted on April 9, 2013 at 7:07 am (#)

Good for you for working with a trainer! I admit, I’d be way too scared. And yeah, I don’t want to know my real weight ( I think my home scale is rigged to make me feel skinny) nor do I want to know my body fat. Lets just say I KNOW I have body fat and leave it at that. Now I usually forget to eat breakfast. I should be making these muffins and eating them daily! They sound perfect for me!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2013 at 2:13 pm

You and me both Tanya! I want your magical scale. :)

22. carrian posted on April 9, 2013 at 8:34 am (#)

Pssst, did you know the hubby and I are both expired personal trainers? Clearly I’m all for it. Good for you! ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Thanks Carrian – now I know who to come to with tips! :)

23. Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat posted on April 9, 2013 at 8:51 am (#)

This muffins sound very intriguing. I love that they’re only 102 calories. They would be a great addition to my breakfast. Can’t wait to give them a try!

25. Mr. & Mrs. P posted on April 9, 2013 at 9:47 am (#)

Move over 100 calorie snack packs!!!! These are delicious!!!

26. Ashton posted on April 9, 2013 at 10:56 am (#)

I always struggle with eating a big enough breakfast! On the one hand, it makes sense that a good, large breakfast will satisfy you longer, but on the other hand… I end up still eating the same amount in the afternoon and evenings that I do when I have a smaller breakfast! Ugh… weight loss (and health stuff in general) drives me nuts.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2013 at 2:09 pm

YES! My problem exactly… :)

27. Ashley posted on April 9, 2013 at 11:47 am (#)

You had me at “skinny chocolate.” :) I love that these have a good dose of protein. And it’s true: making muffins is ALWAYS the logical thing to do.

28. Pam Gramling posted on April 9, 2013 at 11:48 am (#)

Does this recipe call for sweetened chocolate almond milk or unsweetened? I believe it comes in both varieties and want to get the right one. I would love to also see a gluten-free option for this recipe, tho’ I might experiment with different types of flour…. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2013 at 2:08 pm

It was regular chocolate almond milk – with sugar. I’ve never really done much gluten free baking – let me know how it turns out!

29. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on April 9, 2013 at 12:15 pm (#)

Well pinch me, ’cause I must be dreaming. A 100-calorie muffin? (Okay, so I know you said it’s 102 calories but I figure 2 calories are burnt while chewing, if my science serves me correctly). This is what dreams are made of, my friend. Also, I want to meet your personal trainer but he kind of sounds scary. Can we bribe him with muffins first??

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2013 at 2:08 pm

He’s a cutie. You’d like him. :) LOL

30. Evelyn posted on April 9, 2013 at 1:01 pm (#)

I eat 0% Chobani greek yogurt with strawberries and granola. I’m still in school, and don’t get the chance to eat until around 1, so it keeps me full until then! Plus, it tastes AH-MA-ZING!!!! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I need to get used to eating greek yogurt. It’s an acquired taste for me! Thanks for the suggestion!

31. Cassie posted on April 9, 2013 at 1:41 pm (#)

I started adding more protein to my breakfasts about a year ago when I joined WeightWatchers and I have loved the result! I always aim for at least 10g of protein in my breakfast – which isn’t always easy. I love eggs in various ways: an egg and toast, an omelet (cut up everything the night before), egg and meat on light english muffin, etc. I also like to use turkey sausage crumbles or canadian bacon to boost the protein in a lean way. Greek yogurt also has excellent levels of protein – add fruit and a little granola and you’re good to go. Rounding out with some veggies or fruit is a good way to get fiber in, too. Hope that helps!! Thanks for the recipe!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Cassie!

32. Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection posted on April 9, 2013 at 1:48 pm (#)

Love the idea of using chocolate almond milk!! That saves calories and gives a light chocolate flavor. Such a fantastic idea. And I’m trying to eat more skinny sweets lately too, so these are going on my list to try!! Good luck with your trainer and let us know of any other tips. :)

33. Kristin posted on April 9, 2013 at 3:15 pm (#)

I like crunchy stuff for breakfast, which is why I was eating cereal all the time. I, when feeling responsible, eat greek yogurt for breakfast. Lately, I’ve been doing protein/spinach shakes.
    The probably with muffins is that I’d eat 5 at once, but I like this recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Yeah, that’s my problem too Kristin! *Sigh*

34. Nicole @ The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie posted on April 9, 2013 at 4:00 pm (#)

Haha I love your conversation with the trainer – I totally would have said something right along those lines!

These muffins look good – and I love that they are so jammed with protein…I too need to be better about eating more in the morning!

35. Liz Fourez posted on April 9, 2013 at 5:23 pm (#)

102 Calories! That’s awesome! I’m totally adding these into my breakfast routine! Thanks so much for partying with us at Time to Sparkle Tuesday : )

xoxo Liz

36. Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking posted on April 9, 2013 at 8:18 pm (#)

If I had a personal trainer I’d be blogging about salads LOL. Baking would definitely be prohibited. That’s just depressing. I think I need some cookies now. Chocolate cookies, of course!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 10th, 2013 at 6:26 am

Yeah…I’m still eating them too. *Sigh*

37. ashley - baker by nature posted on April 9, 2013 at 8:34 pm (#)

Did someone say chocolate for BREAKFAST?! Heck yes!

38. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts posted on April 10, 2013 at 10:08 am (#)

I am so making these soon! I just need to pick up some things at the store – but I am a muffin freak, and need to make some healthier ones.
    I could use a trainer. I am doing p90x right now, so we will see how that goes, it definitely is a killer!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 10th, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I loved p90x last summer! It was great, but I got tired of it. Love the crunchy frog. :)

39. Pingback: Skinny Chocolate Muffins{Only 102 calories each!} - Sweet N Sour Deals

40. Dina posted on April 10, 2013 at 3:54 pm (#)

this is a great recipe for a healthy treat i can bring to work.

41. Meg @ Sweet Twist posted on April 11, 2013 at 1:51 pm (#)

Awesome. My naturopath would definitely let me eat these. :-)

42. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on April 14, 2013 at 6:28 pm (#)

I’ve got to try using Bran Cereal in baked good… These muffins sound wonderful! Thanks for linking up to Two Cup Tuesday at Pint Sized Baker. I’ve pinned this for later.

43. Emily posted on April 15, 2013 at 4:55 pm (#)

Oh thank you for this! I laughed right out loud at the bit about checking your body fat. I went Paleo last week and was semi-furious about gaining a tiny bit after all was said an done. Of course there was that huge slap of Costco chocolate cake that I had last night… and the donuts on Saturday morning… Paleo smaleo! Anyways, these muffins look great – I’ll have to buy bran cereal when I’m at the grocery store next.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 16th, 2013 at 6:58 am

Ha! I couldn’t do Paleo!! Thanks Emily!

44. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on April 17, 2013 at 8:55 pm (#)

hahaha, I’m laughing so hard at your… “ammendments… to your typical daily meals. So would’ve done that!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 18th, 2013 at 8:04 am

Hee hee, I’m horrible. :) Thanks Katie!

45. Ephillips posted on April 22, 2013 at 9:52 am (#)

I made the muffins, but I used regular almond milk (30 calorie per serving kind) and I didn’t have the bran, so I used vanilla lean protien powder…still only 102 calories and amazing! Thanks for this recipe…I was trying to use things I had in the house, so I had to alter, but I bet yours are better…I much prefer chocolate almond milk!!! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 22nd, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Perfect! I hardly ever make recipes as written. I’m glad you like them!

46. Pingback: Chocolate Almond Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie

47. Melissa posted on May 17, 2013 at 7:37 pm (#)

So I’m trying to lose weight for our cruise this summer. Breakfast is the worst meal for me. I either eat cereal and I’m hungry like 30 minutes later or I eat 3 (homemade, but small) biscuits which does keep me full longer but not very nutritious. I am not a big protein fan, and I hate eggs! Ugh! If I don’t stay fully eat junk! So I’m going to try these…

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 18th, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I loved them – 2 and I was full for awhile! :)

48. Pingback: Oreo Peanut Butter - Crazy for Crust

49. Pingback: Blueberry Crumble Muffins - Something Swanky

50. Pingback: Chocolate Avocado Truffles - Crazy for Crust

51. Pingback: Fruity Pebbles Muffins - Crazy for Crust

52. Matte posted on October 5, 2013 at 9:15 am (#)

Cant say Ive tried t his yet and probably wont because I have a feeling theyre going to taste like All Bran fiber…plus I dont want to buy an entire box just to use a little bit. But if youre trying to eat more protein in the morning, 3g of a carb muffin isnt going to do the trick. Try a protein shake – either homemade or EAS Carb Control makes good ones with only 100 calories and 17 g of protein with no like 1g or less of sugar – comes in chocolate, strawberry, vanilla. Quest Protein Bars are another great choice…They come in a variety of flavors from breakfast friendly banana nut muffin to sweets like chocolate chip cookie dought, white chocolate berry and apple pie…and lunch like peanut butter and jelly. These are probably the healthiest bars out there…They are all 200 calories or less, have about 20g of protein with 17 grams of fiber. How many of these muffins would you need to eat? Otherwise, egg white omelettes are the way to go – if you must buy something like Egg Beaters…They have a SW flavor that adds onions and peppers or you can add fresh veggies like mushrooms or spinach…Or make a fritatta and then youll have a few portions for the next few days…Very simple too. If you must bake some treats, try almond meal/flour to avoid the carbs. Do you need treats? Sure. Do you have fun baking and coming up recipes? It sounds like you do. But lets be real…If youre trying to make serious changes to your diiet and youre really trying to boost your workouts with nutrition and eat more protein, a 3g muffin with chocolate chips isnt going to cut it. The full nutritional profile for the recipe isnt listed, but the options above are going to be quick and give you a much bigger boost – and fill you up more in the AM. You can easily eat 200 or fewer calories with the items above and get a lot more protein so youre not starving by lunchtime. Even if you want to eat one of the higher protein oatmeals in the morning, mix in a little whey protein power for a boost – you can use chocolate there too

53. Matte posted on October 5, 2013 at 9:25 am (#)

By the way, for those trying to watch what you eat, download a free food tracking app. I use My FitnEss Pal. If youre eating anything with a bar code, you can just scan it. If youre making your own recipe, you can add the nutrition profile for each ingredient. It works great and will really help you as it not only monitors calories but protein, fat , carbs, fiber etc. You put in your current weight and your goal and it will also give you a rough target to reach every day. What I did is just eat normally for a couple weeks but log everything. I thought I was eating ‘healthy’ with protein cereal…but unbeknownst to me I was eating many servings and starting out the day with 800 or more calories. YIKES. yes, things like Kashi may say they have protein, but they also have sugar and carbs and almost no one eats one serving. Youll be surprised what you put in your mouth every day when you start logging – and become accountable. You can see where youre falling off the wagon. Try eating healthier , measuring your portions when you can, having healthy snacks and youll be surprised. I saw results immediately and have lost 20 pounds already without ANY exercise. Just modifying what Im eating and Im not sacrificing anything and Im not hungry

54. mandi posted on January 1, 2014 at 9:04 pm (#)

Quick question. I’m on a no “processed” food program so I can’t have the bran cereal. Do you think I could do a flaxseed or maybe even bran flour instead? Or does it have to be the bran cereal?

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 2nd, 2014 at 6:27 am

I think the cereal gives it the body. You can try a flour or flaxseed, but I’m not sure how they will turn out. You’d probably need less milk (since the milk is to soften the cereal). If you try it, let me know how it works out!

55. Tara Lynn posted on January 2, 2014 at 4:46 pm (#)

What do you think about using oatmeal instead of Bran Flakes in the chocolate skinny muffins?? Do you think it would work? I just do not like the texture of bran flakes, unless you grind them….maybe I should have read the directions first!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 2nd, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Once they’re soaked, the flakes get soft, so they break up into the muffin. But oatmeal might be a good sub – I’d use regular oatmeal, not quick cooking. Let me know if they work!

56. Pingback: Healthy Chocolate Chip Bran Muffins |

57. Pingback: TodaysMama.com - 13 Healthy Muffin Recipes

58. Pingback: Healthier Banana Bread - Crazy for Crust

59. Pingback: 18+ 2 Best Healthy Dessert Ideas That Will Satisfy You! | Women's f Blog