Feb 03

Red Velvet Molten Lava Cupcakes

red velvet molten lava cupcake

Things that I find magical:

Unicorns (they DO exist)

Love

Snagging the first parking spot in the Walmart Parking lot. (If that’s not magical, I don’t know what is.)

When Jordan says something that is so her dad, and I realize she has his wit. (The female Phil, anyone?)

Getting to meet blogging friends in real life.

Rainbows

Molten Lava Cake

red velvet molten lava cupcake

When I was a kid, I seriously thought that chefs did something magical to make the chocolate “lava” flow out of the center of a cake. Why didn’t it bake? How is it melty like that? It must be magic!

As an adult, I have come to understand the workings of the molten lava cake magic trick: ganache. But it’s still magical. Especially in red velvet cupcakes!

I’ve never made molten lava cake before; I’ve just consumed mass quantities of it. So…I figured it was time to try my hand at it. It being almost Valentine’s Day, my mind always sways to the beautiful red velvet cake. I figured it was time to marry the two: red velvet and molten lava cake.

I started with a red velvet cake mix. You could totally make your own favorite recipe from scratch. I hate making red velvet from scratch. One reason: food coloring.

Am I the only one who manages to get red food coloring over all-the-things when working with it? Droplets that you find for weeks? I barely have to look at my food coloring basket and all of a sudden I have red fingers and blue drops all over my counters. It’s like magic or something.

Anyway. I made a red velvet cake mix and lined a cupcake tin with liners. Fill up the liners only about halfway – not the usual 2/3 full, otherwise they will spill over. {Believe me, I did it.} Then the secret ingredient goes inside: chocolate ganache!

You make a simple truffle mixture for the center of these cupcakes. Equal parts chocolate and cream, melted, stirred until smooth, and chilled. The ganache is another magical thing I love. Each cupcake gets a tablespoon-sized ganache ball in the center. When you bake the cupcakes, they grow up and over the ganache, but it doesn’t dissolve into the cupcake. It says chocolatey and gooey and good.

So, when you cut open your cupcake you get this:

red velvet molten lava cupcake

A gooey, warm, chocolate center. The perfect pairing with the red velvet!

Serve these warm, with a little powdered sugar dusting for garnish. Or ice cream. Whatever.

It’s truly magical. Like the tooth fairy. Only yummier.

Red Velvet Molten Lava Cupcakes

Red Velvet Molten Lava Cupcakes

• 1 box red velvet cake mix, plus ingredients called for to make the cake
  • (I used Duncan Hines and the cake mix called for 3 eggs, 1 1/4 cups water, and 1/3 cup oil.)
  • 8 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • Powdered sugar, for garnish

1. Chop or break up baking chocolate and place in a medium sized bowl. Heat the cream over low heat until it just simmers. Pour over the chocolate. Stir until melted and smooth. (If it’s having a hard time melting, place it in the microwave for about 15 seconds.) Chill chocolate mixture until hardened, at least 2 hours.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners. (About 24)
  3. Mix up cake batter according to the box directions. Fill each liner about 1/2 full of batter. (You don’t want to fill them as full as 2/3, or they will spill over. A little less than is called for on the box is good.)
  4. Remove chocolate ganache from the refrigerator. Scoop 1 tablespoon balls (I used a cookie scoop) and place one ball in the center of each cupcake batter.
  5. Bake 20-23 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the side of the cupcake (not the center!) comes out clean. Cool for just a few minutes in the pans.
  6. When ready to serve, remove the cupcakes from the pan and remove the liners. Turn upside down on a plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
  7. These are best served warm. If they cool off, just heat them for a few seconds in the microwave to heat.

Like ganache? Well you’re in luck. On Saturday I guest posted for Kristen over at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. Go check these Mexican Truffles out!

Mexican Chocolate Truffles 2 words

Other red velvet goodness:

Red Velvet Hugs Cookies

red velvet hugs

Pink Velvet Cupcakes {for two}

pink velvet 1 words

Red Velvet Monkey Bread from Something Swanky
Red Velvet White Chocolate Chip Cookies from Life As A Lofthouse
Sweetheart Sandwich Cookies by Sweet Bella Roos

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingLil’ LunaBuns In My OvenChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

107 Responses to “Red Velvet Molten Lava Cupcakes”

1. Jenn posted on February 3, 2013 at 3:45 pm (#)

You know I can’t resist anything red velvet! Great pics!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Thanks Jenn!

2. Ellen @ Bake It With Booze posted on February 3, 2013 at 4:03 pm (#)

Wow, these look amazing! I am making my boozy version tomorrow. Was supposed to happen today, but bronchitis got the best of me. That and laundry. Have a wonderful week, Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Ooooh, I can’t wait for the boozy version! I hope you feel better!

3. Sue Ware@The Witch's Kitchen posted on February 3, 2013 at 4:39 pm (#)

I’ve seen these cakes listed for dessert in restaurants…but never tried one. I always wondered how they worked.

Will definately have to try this for myself~

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Thanks Sue! :)

4. Mom posted on February 3, 2013 at 4:51 pm (#)

These look great. I bet that molten center would be wonderful inside my chocolate Kahlua cake.
    Mom :}

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I bet it would!

5. Jackie posted on February 3, 2013 at 4:58 pm (#)

Really Dorothy??? Ugh…You’re gonna be the reason I dream about Red Velvet tonight!!!

:o)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I still have some in my fridge…

6. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on February 3, 2013 at 6:27 pm (#)

Um, hello gorgeous pictures! I am loving these shots, Dot! And I love rainbows and unicorns and #1 Walmart and Target spots, too. Though I always snag Walmart ones (perks of being there at 6am on a Friday morning), I NEVER luck out at Target and basically have to park at Kohl’s and hike over. However, I need all the exercise I can get since all day I dream of molten lava cakes :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2013 at 6:38 pm

LOL, I find I have so much better luck when I go early too. It’s almost worth the horrid checkout…

7. Kaylee @ Couponing & Cooking posted on February 3, 2013 at 6:55 pm (#)

I have the exact same problem with food coloring. I treat my black one like cryptonite. I stand back and open it over the sink like it could combust at any moment!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 6:48 am

Oh, black. That’s the worst!!

8. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on February 3, 2013 at 7:10 pm (#)

My (Atkins-going) husband is peering over my shoulder drooling over your pictures. He’s been craving a brownie all day but I think you just changed his mind to lava cakes.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 6:47 am

Oh man, I could never do Atkins. I’d die or kill someone from lack of carb rage. :)

9. Pingback: Red Velvet Nutella S'mores - Something Swanky

10. Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs posted on February 3, 2013 at 7:43 pm (#)

Dorothy, are you serious right now? These just look amazing. Yum. Thanks for sharing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 6:46 am

Thanks Whitney!

11. Kristin posted on February 3, 2013 at 8:01 pm (#)

I always wondered how this was done! Looks easy enough!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 6:46 am

Too easy!!

12. Susan posted on February 3, 2013 at 8:48 pm (#)

I’m just a Southern gal who loves red velvet–this is a real keeper and I think it will be excellent for Valentine’s Day, XOXO

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 6:45 am

Thanks Susan! It’s like quintessentially Valentine!

13. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on February 3, 2013 at 8:59 pm (#)

These are SO PRETTY, Dorothy! And your pictures–fabulous!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 6:45 am

Thanks Ashley!!

14. Back For Seconds posted on February 3, 2013 at 9:05 pm (#)

Yessssss! Ganache is magical. I could live on ganache alone – so dang good. These look awesome! I love the photos, too. And those truffles? So cute!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 6:44 am

Thanks Stephanie! I know, ganache is my new BFF.

15. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on February 3, 2013 at 10:53 pm (#)

I want to JUST eat that soft gooey perfectly chocolate center. Okay and the rest of the cake too! They are so puffy and moist looking!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 6:39 am

Thanks Averie! Cake mix is wonderful that way. One of these days I’m going to find the perfect non-cake mix cake recipes that actually taste good! Mine always are hard and dry. :)

16. Nancy Pfeifer posted on February 3, 2013 at 11:40 pm (#)

Yummmmmy!!!! I can’t wait to try these. I am visiting for the 1st time. I hope you come to visit my party every week on Tuesdays- http://atozebracelebrations.com/2013/01/link-party-5.html
    Nancy

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 6:38 am

Welcome, and thanks for visiting!

17. Tash @ The Velvet Moon Baker posted on February 4, 2013 at 1:17 am (#)

These look amazing! I was trying to figure out what to make for our valentines dessert and i think this has just cinched the deal

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 6:37 am

Thanks Tash! I hope you like them. :)

18. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on February 4, 2013 at 5:54 am (#)

I have a weakness for red velvet. Great recipe! I love how easy your recipe is to make such an incredible dessert!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 6:37 am

Thanks Jennifer! It was almost too easy, lol.

19. sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on February 4, 2013 at 6:40 am (#)

great now I want lava cake!

20. Ashley posted on February 4, 2013 at 6:48 am (#)

Love this spin! I have a major weakness for the molten cakes. We live right next to Jean Georges restaurant (he’s famous for making a chocolate one), and I’ve definitely been known to pick up a few to go. :) Your explanation makes it sound so approachable that I might just have to give it a try at home!

21. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on February 4, 2013 at 6:53 am (#)

Magic.

Pure and simple <3

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Thanks Kayle! :)

22. Shannon @ Searching For Dessert posted on February 4, 2013 at 7:35 am (#)

This is one of my favorite desserts and now I’m all excited to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Thanks Shannon!

23. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen posted on February 4, 2013 at 7:55 am (#)

I want to dig right in to that chocolate-y goodness!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Thanks Katrina!

24. Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos posted on February 4, 2013 at 8:37 am (#)

These look glorious!! I’d love one (or three) right about now!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I’d be happy to oblige! :)

25. Summer @ Mallow and Co posted on February 4, 2013 at 9:29 am (#)

Ah! I was just looking for a good dessert to make on VDay, think I found it! And yes, getting the first spot in Walmart is the epitome of magicalness!!! Great pics :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Thanks Summer!

26. Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies posted on February 4, 2013 at 10:01 am (#)

You know… I was still pretty certain that lava cakes were made using magic!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 7:17 pm

LOL! I like to still think that. It’s more fun. :)

27. Aubrey @ Real Housemoms posted on February 4, 2013 at 1:22 pm (#)

I can’t wait to try this!!! I love lava cake and Valentine’s Day is my excuse to eat way to much chocolate. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Mine too! :)

28. ashley - baker by nature posted on February 4, 2013 at 4:10 pm (#)

Oh man… these look dangerously good!!! I’ve never made lava cakes, but now… I MUST.

29. Brenda posted on February 4, 2013 at 5:39 pm (#)

I am right there with you when it comes to red velvet cake mix ;) I am happy to know that I’m not the only one that wears food coloring.

30. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on February 4, 2013 at 5:40 pm (#)

What great cupcakes! And I think I find those things magical also! Especially the parking spot at wal mart

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Hee hee, that’s the best one!

31. Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips posted on February 4, 2013 at 6:10 pm (#)

These look amazing Dorothy, but here is a challenge for you – can you make a molten cream cheese filling to be like the traditional cheesecake frosting on red velvet?! :-) Just a thought…

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 4th, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Oooooh. Challenge accepted….

32. Emily @ Sweet Bella Roos posted on February 5, 2013 at 6:55 am (#)

Aw, thanks for sharing my sandwich cookies! I LOVE lava cakes. When we went on our cruise two years ago I had the chocolate lava cake for dessert every-single-day. I tried to make them once but it didn’t go so well… might be time to try again!!! (Or beg hubby to take me on another cruise…) lol

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 5th, 2013 at 6:59 pm

They are so easy to make! But the cruise would be more fun… :)

33. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on February 5, 2013 at 8:26 am (#)

I love lava cake! Such a fun idea to make them red velvet!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 5th, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Thanks Jessica!

34. Trish @ Mom On Timeout posted on February 5, 2013 at 8:53 am (#)

Yes. Unicorns do exist. I’m with you there. I find these cupcakes just as magical though – all of a sudden I’m craving a spoonful of ganache… why do we not live closer again??

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 5th, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Hee hee, I need to give you some. I’m eating them all myself!

35. kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor posted on February 5, 2013 at 11:55 am (#)

These look unbelievable, Dorothy! Like…seriously!! So glad to have you partying with us this week! You’re being featured on today’s Tuesday Ten: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2013/02/the-tuesday-ten.html

Have a fabulous week!
    {HUGS},
    kristi

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 5th, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Wow, thank you Kristi!!

36. Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen posted on February 5, 2013 at 6:22 pm (#)

Molten lava cakes are the bomb-diggity! Every single one!

37. Alyssa posted on February 6, 2013 at 6:10 am (#)

Wow, these look absolutely amazing! This would be great for Valentine’s Day!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 6th, 2013 at 6:51 am

Thanks Alyssa!

38. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on February 6, 2013 at 6:49 am (#)

Oh, that ganache gets me weak in the knees! Love that stuff! And baked into a cupcake? This is fabulous!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 6th, 2013 at 6:50 am

Thanks Jocelyn!

39. Brenda @ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com posted on February 6, 2013 at 7:35 am (#)

A M A Z I N G!!! {Pinning!} … I was just wondering, how is it possible that I haven’t yet subscribed to your fabulous blog?! I’ve quickly changed that, subscribing here & following you on Pinterest now too! ;*)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 6th, 2013 at 9:48 am

Thanks so much for the follows!

40. Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking posted on February 6, 2013 at 7:09 pm (#)

Oh yes, these cupcakes are magical. I love anything ganache and hidden in a warm red velvet cupcake must taste heavenly!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 7th, 2013 at 6:27 am

Thanks Roxana! :)

41. Holly Lefevre posted on February 6, 2013 at 9:08 pm (#)

Now that is a Valentine surprise…yum!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 7th, 2013 at 6:23 am

Thanks Holly!

42. Pingback: Red Velvet Molten Lava Cupcakes

43. Pingback: 25 {lovely} Valentine's Day Desserts - Something Swanky

44. katie goldsworthy posted on February 7, 2013 at 10:31 pm (#)

These are awesome! Sharing them on G+. Thanks for linking them up!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 8th, 2013 at 6:51 am

Thanks Katie!

45. Pingback: Chore Chart and Whatever Friday - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

46. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on February 10, 2013 at 11:28 am (#)

Test

47. Pingback: DIY Ideas Monday Funday Link Party

48. Pingback: Monday Funday Link Party #5 - Creatively Living Blog

49. Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon posted on February 10, 2013 at 5:11 pm (#)

These look absolutely heavenly!! Featured you tonight Dorothy at Monday Funday! ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 10th, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Thank you!!! :):)

50. Pingback: DIY Ideas - Monday Funday Link Party - That's What {Che} Said...

51. Pingback: Tuesday Talent Show #71 | Chef in Training

53. Pingback: Red Velvet Love | blovelyevents

54. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on April 29, 2013 at 1:15 pm (#)

Seeing this makes me so sad that I haven’t been following your blog for ages. You must have a million brilliant recipes I have yet to discover.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 29th, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Aw, thanks Renee!

55. Pingback: Perfect Chocolate Ganache

56. Pingback: Red Velvet Cheesecake Loaf - Crazy for Crust

57. Pingback: 12 Sweet Treats for Your Valentine ~ Featuring YOU!!

58. Pingback: 34 Valentine Dessert Recipes & Ideas

59. Joyous posted on January 17, 2014 at 5:47 pm (#)

Hi! These look delicious, thanks for sharing! I am going to try these with pink velvet this weekend. Question though ~ when they are not warm, what consistency is the ganache? Is it too hard to bite into… or will it still be fine?

I will post back when I bake these up & let y’all know what I find out.

Thank you!

• Joyous replied on January 17th, 2014 at 10:09 pm

I just made these tonight ~ as per the recipe & mine are a globby chocolate goop :(
      I have weird tops where the ganache oozes out over the cake… and when I open the cupcake liner, all the ganache is seeping out the bottom of the cupcake.

Any ideas for how to remedy?! I am so excited to put these on my Valentine’s menu but they have to look presentable ;) THANK YOU!

60. Pingback: So Random That I Can’t Think Of An Appropriate Title | Fabulously Me

61. Pingback: 50 Best Valentine Desserts | I Heart Nap Time - Easy recipes, DIY crafts, Homemaking

62. Pingback: Sweet Treats for Valentine’s Day | Dysphagia Dining

63. Pingback: Valentine’s Day Desserts | Dysphagia Dining

64. Megan posted on February 12, 2014 at 8:44 am (#)

These look divine!!! I shared the link on my blog bc I’ll be making them for my Valentine!! Since I’m making ganache, I’m going to crisp up some maple bacon and cover the bacon in the leftover chocolate to garnish. YUM!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2014 at 9:48 am

Oh yes, that sounds amazing!!! Bacon + chocolate = best combo!

65. Pingback: 14 Last Minute Romantic Desserts for Valentine's Day | Woman Tribune

66. Pingback: 14 Last Minute Romantic Desserts for Valentine's Day | Woman Tribune

67. Pingback: 11 Fashion Velvet Dessert Recipes | foodgio