This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Did you know you can make loaf cake from a cake mix? And that you can turn it into a cheesecake cake? This recipe is SO easy to make – and you can use any flavor cake mix.
No matter what your baking skills are, you can make this Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake recipe – and if you love cheesecake and cake together, then, well, it’s for you!
Table of Contents
EASY Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake
I’ve seen red velvet cheesecake cake all over the internet but it’s SO complicated: layers of cake and cheesecake you have to make separately, let cool, then assemble. Why do all that work when you can make a cheesecake LOAF cake instead?
Therefore this loaf cake is made from a cake mix, but with a twist: a cheesecake swirl. I love, love, love the combination of cheesecake and cake. I’ve done it a few times, with carrot cake cupcakes and strawberry cupcakes. Plus, I’m a sucker for a swirl. Who isn’t?
Why you’ll love this recipe
The best part about this recipe is that you can make it with ANY flavor cake mix – so it’s not just for Valentine’s Day or for people who love red velvet cake!
Red velvet cake + cheesecake + cream cheese frosting = the best dessert!
What is a loaf cake?
A loaf cake is just that: cake baked in a loaf pan. You most often see this with pound cake but it can be done with regular cake too!
This recipe goes one step further and makes a CHEESECAKE loaf cake, which is a cake swirled with cheesecake inside. It’s like a cheesecake cake, but made a loaf pan.
Want to make the red velvet cake part of this loaf cake from scratch? Use my red velvet cupcake recipe – it makes one loaf and a few cupcakes!
Ingredients in an Easy Cheesecake Cake
- Cake Mix – for this version we’re using Red Velvet Cake mix
- Ingredients to make the cake – this depends on the box mix you’re using (typically water, oil, and eggs).
- Cream Cheese – be sure it’s room temperature softened cream cheese to avoid lumps
- Sour Cream – it must be room temperature to avoid lumps!
- Granulated Sugar – sweetens the cheesecake
- Vanilla – always use pure vanilla extract
- Unsalted Butter and Powdered Sugar – to make the frosting
How to make Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake
- Add all the cake mix ingredients to a large bowl.
- Whisk to combine or mix with a hand mixer.
- Make the cheesecake by creaming the cream cheese with sugar.
- Mix in egg and sour cream.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Beat until the cream cheese mixture is smooth.
- Split your cake mix between your two pans (or one pan and cupcake liners). Divide the cheesecake batter in two and add it on top.
- Gently swirl the cheesecake into the batter. Don’t swirl too much or you’ll mix them together. Just note that the cheesecake will sink during baking.
- If you’re making cupcakes and using the remaining cheesecake batter to make cheesecake cupcakes, you can just spoon them on top like I do in my Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcake recipe.
Use two loaf pans to make a loaf cake from a cake mix or make one loaf and some cupcakes.PRO TIP
Store leftover loaves in the refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.
Freeze the loaf cakes for up to 3 months.
Use my red velvet cupcake recipe to make a layer cake instead!
Red Velvet Cheesecake Loaf Cake Recipe
For the Cakes:
- 1 15 ounce box red velvet cake mix plus ingredients called for to make the cake (egg, water, oil)
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream room temperature
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour (or line with foil and spray wit cooking spray) two loaf pans. You can use two 9×5 loaf pans or one 9×5 and about 8 cupcakes.
- Mix up cake mix according to package directions, using egg, water, and oil called for on the box. Divide among your loaf pans.
- Beat cream cheese and sour cream in a stand mixer until smooth. You can use a hand mixer, but I find it is really hard to get all the lumps out that way! Beat in your egg, sugar, and vanilla and mix until smooth, although some lumps may remain. Evenly divide cheesecake mixture on top of each of your loaf pans. Drop spoonfuls of the cheesecake batter randomly over the top of the loaves. Using a butter knife or the back of a wooden spoon, swirl the cheesecake into the loaves. Be careful not to swirl too much or they will just blend. (Cheesecake may sink during baking)
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely and then remove from pans and frost as desired.
- To make the frosting: mix butter and cream cheese until smooth with a hand mixer. Mix in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Add salt and vanilla and mix until smooth. Store in refrigerator.
Other loaf cake recipes:
- Almond Poppy Seed Loaf
- Apple Cider Loaf Cake
- Champagne Pound Cake
- Click here for my complete list of Valentine’s Day Recipes!
This red velvet cheesecake cake is easy to make and it make two loaves or one big loaf and some cheesecake cupcakes! Such an easy semi-homemade dessert with your favorite flavor of cake mix!
Last Updated on January 29, 2023