Jan 08

Easy Lemon Ice Cream {Skinny}

Skinny Lemon Ice Cream

I do not like the cold. Not. At. All. This is probably because my fingers turn purple as soon as the temps drop below 70 degrees and, for most of Winter, I cannot feel my feet. I’ve been skiing once, and it was in the middle of a storm. Bad idea. Big. Huge. The second I walked out those doors onto the mountain I immediately lost all feeling in all of my extremities, my nose, and my ears.

The only time I’m not cold? During the night. No, during the night I transform from an ice cube into hot lava, the core of the earth. My husband has affectionately nicknamed me his “little heater” during the night. It’s the kind of heat that makes you get up from bed to cool off…only to be followed by being frozen from the cold air in the room.

I know it’s the middle of Winter and ice cream is something one shouldn’t crave. But I do, often. Of course, I hold the bowl with gloves on, but I still eat it.

{I joke…but I’ve thought about it.}

Eating ice cream in the middle of the night isn’t acceptable…but I’ve thought about that too. It would certainly cool me off.

Skinny Lemon Ice Cream

What better ice cream to eat in January when it’s dark and dreary outside? Lemon! Yellow and pretty and it makes you think of Spring.

{Although I kind of don’t want Spring to get here. That means Summer is around the corner and my A/C bill…*shudder*}

I received two huge bags of lemons over Christmas. One bag was, I think, Meyer lemons. Ohmigod those smell gooooood.

I’ve been craving lemon ice cream for awhile. It seems almost a contradictory flavor, all that dairy with the tartness of the lemon. But the sweetness from the ice cream is a wonderful combination with the lemon flavor.

I made this the “easy” way without an ice cream maker. I used a can of sweetened condensed milk and a container of Cool Whip. Normally, this kind of ice cream is done with whipping cream, but Cool Whip is easier, the extra sweetness pairs really well with the lemon, and I can make it fat-free. Really! It’s skinny ice cream!

Fat-free sweetened condensed milk, fat-free Cool Whip, and lemon. So, so easy. And so, so good.

Skinny Lemon Ice Cream

A perfect way to cool off during those hot flash moments!

Easy Lemon Ice Cream {Skinny}

Easy Lemon Ice Cream {Skinny}

• 1 can fat-free sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces)
  • 1 container fat-free Cool Whip (8 ounces)
  • 1 large lemon, zested and juiced (or two smaller, mine was a huge Meyer lemon)
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract

1. Stir together sweetened condensed milk and cool whip in a large tupperware container. Stir in the zest and juice from 1 lemon (I used a Meyer lemon, if yours is a small or regular lemon, you may want to use two) and the extract (this is optional, but I wanted an extra punch of lemon flavor).
  2. Stir until mixed and freeze until hardened, at least 6 hours or overnight.

Notes

You can use 2 cups of cold heavy whipping cream, whipped until stiff peaks form, in place of the Cool Whip if you'd rather.

Like Lemon? Check out some of these other sweet and tart treats:

IMG_1048 edited

Lemon Cream Pie

IMG_1837edited

Lemon Pie Cookies

Lemon Meringue Pie Dip by Something Swanky
Orange, Lemon, and Lime Citrus Cookies by Shugary Sweets
Cream Cheese Lemon Cake Bars by Crumbs and Chaos

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayLil’ Luna, Buns In My OvenChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

108 Responses to “Easy Lemon Ice Cream {Skinny}”

1. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on January 8, 2013 at 4:10 pm (#)

Mm, I friggin LOVE lemon anything. I hope you know this for my birthday in two weeks, hint hint ;) hehe, I kid, but still, this ice cream looks fab. I actually ate ice cream last night with my hands wrapped in a towel because the bowl was far too cold, but my desire to eat ice cream was far too strong. Problems.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 8th, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Ha! My life exactly. Lemon treats for birthday was already on my mind… :)

2. Amy of while wearing heels posted on January 8, 2013 at 4:39 pm (#)

First, your pictures are BEAUTIFUL. They look as if they have come right out of a magazine. Stunning. Second, your description of winter and being cold, oh my…you made me laugh and I had to nod in agreement. I wish my 4 year old felt the same but she loves to be outside even when it is freezing out. Third, your ice cream recipe looks refreshing and delicious.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 8th, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Thank you! I know, my daughter is always out in shirtsleeves and I’m always shivering next to her. They must have different thermostats! :)

3. Mom posted on January 8, 2013 at 4:59 pm (#)

I agree with Amy; great pics! Glad you enjoyed the lemons. I thought they smelled wonderful when I was picking them (I just don’t like lemon flavored desserts).
    Love, Mom

4. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on January 8, 2013 at 5:18 pm (#)

Oh lemon, how I love thee. This looks so good Dorothy! I’ve never made icecream this way, but think it’s time to try!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 6:27 am

You must!! It’s SO easy Aimee. :)

5. Lindsay posted on January 8, 2013 at 5:33 pm (#)

Oh my gosh – I have the same problem! My fingernails are constantly purple during the winter! Then at night I feel like swamp thing. This ice cream looks amazing though! I am SUCH a fan of these quick and easy ice creams. Delicious!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 6:26 am

Thanks Lindsay! Purple is my normal in winter. No one even comments how I’m “dead” anymore, they are so used to it. LOL!

6. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on January 8, 2013 at 5:44 pm (#)

Dorothy, your pictures are SO GOOD. Seriously, girl, these are amazing! And so is this ice cream!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 6:23 am

Thank you! My husband got me a new lens…and I heart it. :) Thanks Ashley!

7. Joan@Chocolateandmore posted on January 8, 2013 at 5:49 pm (#)

Dorothy, this sounds fabulous! We’re supposed to get up to 70 degrees on Thursday I think. If I make this tomorrow I can sit out on the back deck in my shorts and pretend it’s summer while eating a bowl of Skinny Ice Cream!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 6:23 am

As much as I love those 70 degree days, we often end up skipping those and heading right to 80s and up. I don’t want to go there! :)

8. The Witch's Kitchen posted on January 8, 2013 at 5:54 pm (#)

I go for popsicles when the hot flashes hit. They work fabulously!

Lemon ice cream sounds a little odd but I bet it’s fantastic~

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 6:22 am

I may be doing that soon too… :)

9. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on January 8, 2013 at 6:06 pm (#)

OMG, I am totally trying this, like tomorrow! You don’t want to be living near me. It is only 30 degrees and I have a foot of snow in the yard. I could only wish for a 70 degree day, but we won’t be seeing that in Buffalo until June, ugh!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 6:22 am

I couldn’t do it! But, then again, we lived in AZ too and I was SO hot. I need neutral weather. :)

10. Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips posted on January 8, 2013 at 7:36 pm (#)

Dorothy, we are like long lost twins! I am always cold (except when I am pregnant, and even now I am just comfortable instead of numb), except at night my husband calls me a radiator. And I eat ice cream ALL THE TIME. We have been known to do Carvel runs when it is snowing.

11. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on January 8, 2013 at 7:39 pm (#)

I just ate some ice cream and shivered the entire time. I love ice cream and I won’t give it up in the winter. I’ve got to get my ice cream maker into the freezer soon! I miss my FULL FAT homemade ice cream!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 6:20 am

I need good recipes for my ice cream maker – I never make anything good, so I stick to this version! Full-fat is sooo gooood. :)

12. Heather @French Press posted on January 8, 2013 at 8:42 pm (#)

that is some pretty ice cream; although, currently I cannot feel my fingers, so i would definitely need gloves

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 6:19 am

Yeah, it’s gonna be coooold here the next few days! I’ll still probably eat the ice cream though, ha!

13. Kristin posted on January 8, 2013 at 8:52 pm (#)

Yum.. I have fat free sweetened condensed milk just begging to be used!
    You know, I get really hot when I sleep too. Glad to know I’m not the only one! (However, I’m sure it’s the mark of some deadly disease…)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 6:19 am

LOL, for me it’s age… :)

14. Shannon @ A Cozy Place Called Home posted on January 9, 2013 at 12:00 am (#)

I haven’t made homemade ice cream in years because I don’t have an ice cream maker anymore. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I will have to try it the next time I’m in the mood for ice cream. Great pictures!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 6:19 am

Thank you! I love the 2-ingredient ice cream. It’s SO much easier than with the machine!

15. Jeni posted on January 9, 2013 at 4:11 am (#)

You had me at lemon! I love lemon anything! This sounds very good, and I love the fact that it is skinny! Does that mean I can eat the whole bowl in one sitting?? LOL!

16. sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more posted on January 9, 2013 at 5:23 am (#)

oh that does sound good, we are planning on going snow boarding in a few weeks, and I am already cold just thinking about it. I hate being cold, I should have been born in Florida, not Canada.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 6:18 am

I really want to take Jordan skiing. But I know I’ll be the one shivering in the lodge! :)

17. Liz posted on January 9, 2013 at 5:52 am (#)

What a neat way to make ice-cream! I’ll definitely have to be trying this one out, especially since I love all things lemon. Yummers!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 6:17 am

It’s definitely lemony – and very sweet. A good combo!

18. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on January 9, 2013 at 5:52 am (#)

I’m game for ice cream any time of year! Love how easy this is!

19. Susan posted on January 9, 2013 at 7:08 am (#)

You had me at Lemon. My mouth is puckering just thinking about this wonderful dessert. I don’t often crave ice cream in the winter either, but I have to say, I’ll make an exception for this, XOXO

20. The Better Baker posted on January 9, 2013 at 7:31 am (#)

What a lovely recipe! I am wild about these E-Z – P-Z recipes. Sounds wonderful.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Thanks so much! I love easy. So much better sometimes!

21. Ashton @ Something Swanky posted on January 9, 2013 at 7:45 am (#)

Oh how I LOVE lemon ice cream!!! Well, I’ve only ever had lemon gelato– but that was incredible :) And I’m sure this is too!! Can’t wait to try it (because, helloooo? I’m a total two-ingredient ice cream addict)!

22. Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box posted on January 9, 2013 at 7:53 am (#)

I love love love lemon!
    I can’t believe I’ve never used it to flavor ice cream before, though. Pinning and definitely want to try soon.

23. Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection posted on January 9, 2013 at 8:05 am (#)

This is awesome! I love homemade ice cream, but still have not invested in an ice cream maker. I’ve tried making frozen yogurt with Chobani but it didnt turn out quite how I wanted it to. I’m definitely trying this recipe. And the flavors you could add are endless!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 7:41 pm

It’s so true! I’ve made so many variations, both with Cool Whip and with the heavy whipping cream!

24. Olivia @ Liv Lives Life posted on January 9, 2013 at 9:08 am (#)

Wow wow wow. This looks and sounds amazing! I’m definitely pinning it and trying it soon. Thanks for sharing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Thanks Olivia! I hope you enjoy. :)

25. Michelle posted on January 9, 2013 at 9:58 am (#)

Oh my goodness! It’s as if you read my mind…at this very moment I have a bag of unused lemons and a brand new container of cool whip in the fridge. I have been perusing different lemon recipes online and now I know for sure what to make. I love that it is a healthier version too! Pinning this. :)

26. Bobbi posted on January 9, 2013 at 11:37 am (#)

Ooooohhhhhhh this sounds fantastic! Thank you for sharing! I bet if served with some shortbread, it would be like those delicious lemon cookies that the Girl Scouts used to (possibly still do, I’m out of the G.S. loop) sell??? *drools*

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I SO thought of doing that!!! I have some shortbread and it’s all I could do not to smother it in crumbs.

27. Baking Serendipity posted on January 9, 2013 at 1:02 pm (#)

I HATE the cold too…and went out in it last night to get frozen yogurt! My husband wouldn’t hear me complaining about how cold I was the rest of the night :) Love the lemon flavor in your ice cream…a little bright citrus burst is always what I need in January.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Frozen yogurt waits for no one! :) And yes, brightness is what we need this month!

28. Lisa posted on January 9, 2013 at 1:54 pm (#)

This looks so delicious Dorothy! It also has my head spinning with delicious variations!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 7:34 pm

I know, right? It totally can be changed up SO many ways!

29. Tiffany/MyCrowdedKitchen posted on January 9, 2013 at 3:26 pm (#)

I’m the same when it comes to cold. I’m naughty though. I crawl into bed with the hubs and put my ice cold feet on his to warm them up. He screams like a lil’ girly girl. LOL You had me at lemon. Me loves lemon! Yum yum yum!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Hahahaha! That’s funny! When he’s cold he just cuddles up to me and I radiate enough heat for both of us!

30. Aggie posted on January 9, 2013 at 6:30 pm (#)

I truly love all things lemon (especially Meyers!). This looks so refreshing and could seriously brighten up any (cold) day. Popped over from Buns in my Oven/What’s Cooking Wednesday! Glad I did :)

31. Pingback: Skinny Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie - Something Swanky

32. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on January 10, 2013 at 8:13 am (#)

Oh 2 ingredient ice cream how I adore you!!! I really do need to try this skinny version the next time I am craving ice cream….doesn’t happen to me often, but when it does look out!!! Your pics look awesome!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 10th, 2013 at 10:48 am

Thanks Jocelyn! I still have my eye on your avocado version… :)

33. Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking} posted on January 10, 2013 at 1:36 pm (#)

I’m the exact same too! I walk around all day in big heavy jumpers and still have cold feet, nose and hands going red and purple (yet the fella and kids walk around half nekkid complaining they’re hot!) But as soon as night falls and it’s bedtime, that’s it.. lava time! I wake up sweating even though the heating’s off during the night and even when half of my body in uncovered too. Can’t understand it.

I so need to make this ice cream and maybe eat some in the middle of the night too. Or if all else fails, smother it on me to keep cool! :lol: I love lemon desserts soooo much. Just need to find an alternative to the cool whip. Hmm…

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 10th, 2013 at 8:00 pm

You can use heavy cream (2 cups) whipped to stiff peaks. It just won’t be fat free! :)

Thanks Lisa!

34. Lyuba @willcookforsmiles posted on January 10, 2013 at 8:00 pm (#)

I really don’t know why I’m so intimidated by making ice cream. This looks fantastic and easy! I must try it!

35. Heidi posted on January 10, 2013 at 8:53 pm (#)

This looks AMAZING! Pinning. Thanks for linking up at One Creative Weekend! Enjoy your weekend.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 11th, 2013 at 6:28 am

Thanks Heidi!

• Heidi replied on January 17th, 2013 at 11:02 am

I’ll be featuring your ice cream later today. I hope you’ll be back tonight to link up again!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 17th, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Thank you Heidi!

36. Claire @ A Little Claireification posted on January 10, 2013 at 11:35 pm (#)

Visiting from the “Chocolate, Chocolate & More” party – and I’ve already told you how yummy this looks!! Cannot wait to try this recipe but your “recipe dance card” is getting full… I’ll be making “Crazy For Crust” recipes until 2014 at this rate… :)
    – Claire

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 11th, 2013 at 6:28 am

LOL! Welcome to my life… :)

• Claire @ A Little Claireification replied on April 28th, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Just saw this tweet and was reminded AGAIN how much I need to make this. My new “Best Of The Weekend” party just premiered yesterday {eeek!} so I hope you will link up sometime! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 29th, 2013 at 6:22 am

Thanks Claire!

37. Rachel @ I Love My Disorganized Life posted on January 11, 2013 at 9:03 am (#)

WOW, this looks so refreshing! {middle of winter or not}. Know what I like about this? NO ice cream maker! I have never had any luck with those things. And who wants to have THAT much salt around, anyway? And hey, it’s ‘skinny’, so who cares if you eat it in the middle of the night? I won’t tell.

38. Theresa @DearCreatives posted on January 11, 2013 at 9:16 am (#)

How yummy looking! I love lemons & that lemon cream pie sounds amazing.

39. Theresa posted on January 11, 2013 at 4:53 pm (#)

Ohhh my this looks DELISH!! I’ll be making this for my b-day Sunday. It’ll be my own special no-fat treat. ;)

While living in Chicago I took the kids out for ice cream. We were the only ones in the place. Maybe because it was in the dead of winter and we had to eat our hot fudge brownie sundaes with our gloves on. lol Of course, now I blame gaining some weight on being able to eat ice cream year round – we relocated to Orlando Florida. LOL

40. tanya posted on January 12, 2013 at 11:02 am (#)

4 ingredients???? I’m pinning this one for sure! I love lemon in the winter! We all need a little taste of summer in the middle of January! I can’t stand any temperature below 75! And my husband calls me his “furnace”. Thats probably why my dog sleeps snuggled up against me, so I can keep her warm! Thanks for sharing at Once Creative Weekend!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 13th, 2013 at 1:37 pm

My cat does that for the same reason I bet! Thanks Tanya!

41. HungryLittleGirl posted on January 12, 2013 at 12:56 pm (#)

This sounds really easy and looks delicious!
    Thank you for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza – Hope to see you there again next week with more deliciousness :)

42. Summer @ Mallow and Co posted on January 12, 2013 at 8:56 pm (#)

I’m all for blasting the heater and settling down with a bowl of ice cream! This lemon ice cream looks super, luckily for me my husband doesn’t like lemon so I can have this all to myself…

43. Jocelyn @ Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows posted on January 13, 2013 at 6:43 am (#)

Mmmm, this looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

44. Karly posted on January 13, 2013 at 7:03 am (#)

Ugh, I’m the same way at night. I hate being hot when I’m sleeping! Ice cream would definitely help cool things off.

Thanks for linking this up to What’s Cookin’ Wednesday!

45. Pingback: Back For Seconds Social *Link Party* « Back for Seconds

46. Christie - Food Done Light posted on January 15, 2013 at 6:15 pm (#)

Oh my gosh! You have sold me! Getting my gloves out and making lemon ice cream ASAP. Already pinned the recipe. If I had the ingredients, I would make it now. Thanks for sharing on Thursdays Treasures.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 15th, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Thanks Christie! Enjoy!!! I love the sweet and tart together!

47. Angela posted on January 16, 2013 at 7:49 pm (#)

Oh my this looks awesomely delicious, I am you newest follower on FB

48. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on January 17, 2013 at 5:22 pm (#)

So pretty! Meyer lemons sound amazing right now.

49. Pingback: One Creative Weekend #28 {Kindle Fire Giveaway!}

50. Pingback: 100 + Healthy Recipes (Breakfast, Dips, Appetizers, Desserts & More) » Little Inspiration

51. Pingback: Pink Lemonade Swirl Bundt Cake - Crazy for Crust

52. Pingback: 26 Easy Ice Cream Recipes {No Machine Needed!} - Crazy for Crust

53. Mary Frances @ The Sweet Tooth Life posted on May 29, 2013 at 6:36 pm (#)

Is creativity your middle name? I’m thinking so because this looks incredible. Now that it is actually warming up, I have an acceptable reason to make this! Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 30th, 2013 at 6:23 am

Thanks Mary!! You’re sweet. It’s gonna be 100 here this weekend. I need to make ice cream!

54. Pingback: Coconut Kiwi Popsicle & FOOD FIGHT: Ice Cream vs Fruit Pops - Will Cook For Smiles

55. wan wai posted on June 18, 2013 at 6:19 am (#)

Hi, my country does not sell cool whip. I’m not sure what is it? Is it cream block?

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 20th, 2013 at 12:56 pm

It’s a fake whipped cream – I like to use it because you can buy it sugar-free or fat-free. You can substitute whipped cream instead: take 2 cups of cold heavy whipping cream and whip until stiff peaks form, then fold it in in place of the cool whip. It won’t be skinny, but it’ll be just as good!

56. Pingback: 26 Homemade Ice Cream Recipes: From A to Z | FamilyCorner.com®

57. Pingback: Candied Lemon Slices & FOOD FIGHT: Lemon vs. Lime - Will Cook For Smiles

58. Pingback: Food Fight Winners, Lemon Recipes & Submit Your August Posts - Will Cook For Smiles

59. willowsprite posted on October 30, 2013 at 5:14 pm (#)

I was looking for ice cream recipes and came across this one. I love lemon, and I love ice cream, so perfect combo! To my dismay I discovered that this is NOT ice cream! The title is so misleading. :( There’s not even cream in it. Disappointed! Maybe it should be called frozen lemon dessert?

• willowsprite replied on October 30th, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Just saw your notes for a cream version. Excellent! We don’t eat the artificial toxic stuff that is Cool Whip here!

60. Pingback: Lemon Ice Cream | Recipes Bee

61. Pingback: Dreaming of Ice Cream: Easy Recipes | Grapeword Blog

62. Jen posted on May 12, 2014 at 1:15 pm (#)

Thank you sooo much for this machine-not-required recipe! I have been searching for ways to make ice cream since my husband and I have moved to Germany and (sadly) had to leave the ice cream maker behind. This recipe turned out surprisingly creamy and a fun variation I discovered…adding blended basil leaves…weirdly herby, yet refreshing! Thanks, again!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Oooooh, basil. Such a great idea Jen!!

63. Kokimasak posted on May 31, 2014 at 6:48 am (#)

Is it okay to use 2 lemons without Lemon Extract ? if its not, any substitution for lemon extract? :)

64. Pingback: Lemon Pie Milkshake - Crazy for Crust