Jan 08

Easy Lemon Ice Cream {Skinny}

Skinny Lemon Ice Cream

I do not like the cold. Not. At. All. This is probably because my fingers turn purple as soon as the temps drop below 70 degrees and, for most of Winter, I cannot feel my feet. I’ve been skiing once, and it was in the middle of a storm. Bad idea. Big. Huge. The second I walked out those doors onto the mountain I immediately lost all feeling in all of my extremities, my nose, and my ears.

The only time I’m not cold? During the night. No, during the night I transform from an ice cube into hot lava, the core of the earth. My husband has affectionately nicknamed me his “little heater” during the night. It’s the kind of heat that makes you get up from bed to cool off…only to be followed by being frozen from the cold air in the room.

I know it’s the middle of Winter and ice cream is something one shouldn’t crave. But I do, often. Of course, I hold the bowl with gloves on, but I still eat it.

{I joke…but I’ve thought about it.}

Eating ice cream in the middle of the night isn’t acceptable…but I’ve thought about that too. It would certainly cool me off.

Skinny Lemon Ice Cream

What better ice cream to eat in January when it’s dark and dreary outside? Lemon! Yellow and pretty and it makes you think of Spring.

{Although I kind of don’t want Spring to get here. That means Summer is around the corner and my A/C bill…*shudder*}

I received two huge bags of lemons over Christmas. One bag was, I think, Meyer lemons. Ohmigod those smell gooooood.

I’ve been craving lemon ice cream for awhile. It seems almost a contradictory flavor, all that dairy with the tartness of the lemon. But the sweetness from the ice cream is a wonderful combination with the lemon flavor.

I made this the “easy” way without an ice cream maker. I used a can of sweetened condensed milk and a container of Cool Whip. Normally, this kind of ice cream is done with whipping cream, but Cool Whip is easier, the extra sweetness pairs really well with the lemon, and I can make it fat-free. Really! It’s skinny ice cream!

Fat-free sweetened condensed milk, fat-free Cool Whip, and lemon. So, so easy. And so, so good.

Skinny Lemon Ice Cream

A perfect way to cool off during those hot flash moments!

Easy Lemon Ice Cream {Skinny}

Easy Lemon Ice Cream {Skinny}

• 1 can fat-free sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces)
  • 1 container fat-free Cool Whip (8 ounces)
  • 1 large lemon, zested and juiced (or two smaller, mine was a huge Meyer lemon)
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract

1. Stir together sweetened condensed milk and cool whip in a large tupperware container. Stir in the zest and juice from 1 lemon (I used a Meyer lemon, if yours is a small or regular lemon, you may want to use two) and the extract (this is optional, but I wanted an extra punch of lemon flavor).
  2. Stir until mixed and freeze until hardened, at least 6 hours or overnight.

Notes

You can use 2 cups of cold heavy whipping cream, whipped until stiff peaks form, in place of the Cool Whip if you'd rather.

Like Lemon? Check out some of these other sweet and tart treats:

IMG_1048 edited

Lemon Cream Pie

IMG_1837edited

Lemon Pie Cookies

Lemon Meringue Pie Dip by Something Swanky
Orange, Lemon, and Lime Citrus Cookies by Shugary Sweets
Cream Cheese Lemon Cake Bars by Crumbs and Chaos

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayLil’ Luna, Buns In My OvenChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

111 Responses to “Easy Lemon Ice Cream {Skinny}”

1. Pingback: Pink Lemonade Swirl Bundt Cake - Crazy for Crust

2. Pingback: 26 Easy Ice Cream Recipes {No Machine Needed!} - Crazy for Crust

3. Mary Frances @ The Sweet Tooth Life posted on May 29, 2013 at 6:36 pm (#)

Is creativity your middle name? I’m thinking so because this looks incredible. Now that it is actually warming up, I have an acceptable reason to make this! Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 30th, 2013 at 6:23 am

Thanks Mary!! You’re sweet. It’s gonna be 100 here this weekend. I need to make ice cream!

4. Pingback: Coconut Kiwi Popsicle & FOOD FIGHT: Ice Cream vs Fruit Pops - Will Cook For Smiles

5. wan wai posted on June 18, 2013 at 6:19 am (#)

Hi, my country does not sell cool whip. I’m not sure what is it? Is it cream block?

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 20th, 2013 at 12:56 pm

It’s a fake whipped cream – I like to use it because you can buy it sugar-free or fat-free. You can substitute whipped cream instead: take 2 cups of cold heavy whipping cream and whip until stiff peaks form, then fold it in in place of the cool whip. It won’t be skinny, but it’ll be just as good!

6. Pingback: 26 Homemade Ice Cream Recipes: From A to Z | FamilyCorner.com®

7. Pingback: Candied Lemon Slices & FOOD FIGHT: Lemon vs. Lime - Will Cook For Smiles

8. Pingback: Food Fight Winners, Lemon Recipes & Submit Your August Posts - Will Cook For Smiles

9. willowsprite posted on October 30, 2013 at 5:14 pm (#)

I was looking for ice cream recipes and came across this one. I love lemon, and I love ice cream, so perfect combo! To my dismay I discovered that this is NOT ice cream! The title is so misleading. :( There’s not even cream in it. Disappointed! Maybe it should be called frozen lemon dessert?

• willowsprite replied on October 30th, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Just saw your notes for a cream version. Excellent! We don’t eat the artificial toxic stuff that is Cool Whip here!

10. Pingback: Lemon Ice Cream | Recipes Bee

11. Pingback: Dreaming of Ice Cream: Easy Recipes | Grapeword Blog

12. Jen posted on May 12, 2014 at 1:15 pm (#)

Thank you sooo much for this machine-not-required recipe! I have been searching for ways to make ice cream since my husband and I have moved to Germany and (sadly) had to leave the ice cream maker behind. This recipe turned out surprisingly creamy and a fun variation I discovered…adding blended basil leaves…weirdly herby, yet refreshing! Thanks, again!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Oooooh, basil. Such a great idea Jen!!

13. Kokimasak posted on May 31, 2014 at 6:48 am (#)

Is it okay to use 2 lemons without Lemon Extract ? if its not, any substitution for lemon extract? :)

14. Pingback: Lemon Pie Milkshake - Crazy for Crust

15. Pingback: 30 Homemade Ice Cream Recipes - Homemade Recipes

16. leslie richards posted on January 14, 2015 at 8:55 pm (#)

How many carbs are in the recipe?? Love,love your ‘re pies, and pictures. I just found you and love everything but I had to ho on this low carb diet. Thanks, Leslie

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 15th, 2015 at 6:44 am

I’m not sure, but a lot. Sweetened condensed milk is practically pure sugar!