These S’mores Cookies have graham crackers, marshmallows, and Hershey’s chocolate bars mixed into the dough, so they bake up ooey-gooey just like a s’more! You get all the best parts of the classic campfire treat without all the hassle. Make them for BBQs, potlucks, camping trips, or anytime you’re craving s’mores!
The Best S’mores Cookie Recipe
I have been making these s’mores cookies for years and have tweaked them until I got the best, most perfect ooey-gooey s’more cookie.
The first time I made them was for a Daisy Scout event for Jordan and let’s just say that was too many years ago! She was earning badges for losing teeth back then – now she’s practically grown-up (cue sobbing).
Well, we loved the cookies back then, and we love them even more now – after many experiments, I’ve settled on the best recipe. If you’re a s’mores fan, you will love them!
This recipe is similar to a chocolate chip cookie recipe, but instead of using chocolate chips, you mix in Hershey bars, graham crackers, and marshmallows.
The s’mores part isn’t just inside the cookie – I press marshmallows and chocolate on top of each cookie, too. The s’more effect is maximized this way.
As much as I love traditional s’mores, these cookies are easier and less messy. We call them our indoor s’mores – no campfire required!
Table of Contents
Ingredients in S’mores Cookies
- Butter: As I do in most of my chocolate chip cookie recipes, this one starts with melted unsalted butter
- Sugar: I love using both granulated sugar and brown sugar
- Egg: I use one large egg in this recipe
- Vanilla: for flavor
- Baking soda: Baking soda is the best way to get soft and chewy cookies
- Salt: If using salted butter, reduce the salt to ¼ teaspoon
- All-purpose flour: be sure to measure it correctly
- Graham Crackers: coarsely break them into chunks
- Hershey chocolate bars – break them into small rectangles and then break those into three to four pieces.
- Mini marshmallows
How to Make S’mores Cookies
1. Cream: Mix the butter and both kinds of sugar in a large mixing bowl until smooth. You can use a mixer or mix by hand with a spoon.
2. Mix: Add the egg, vanilla, butter extract, baking soda, and salt. Mix until smooth, and then mix in the flour.
3. Scoop: Stir in the graham crackers, broken Hershey bars, and mini marshmallows. Scoop two tablespoons of the dough to form each cookie dough ball. Make sure the marshmallows are completely encased in the dough – you shouldn’t be able to see them on the bottom or sides of the ball, so form the dough to seal them in, if needed. It’s okay if they are peeking out of the top of the cookie.
4. Chill: Place the dough balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill the cookie balls for at least 30 minutes.
This dough does require 30 minutes of chilling time, but the time is worth it! Chilling the dough keeps the cookies from spreading too much, so they have the best texture.
5. Bake the cookies for 11 minutes.
6. Add more toppings: At this point, they will be partially baked so take them out of the oven and quickly press more chocolate and marshmallows on the top of each one.
7. Finish Baking: Bake the cookies for three to four minutes or until they are no longer glossy on top. Cool them on the pan for five minutes before moving them to a wire rack.
How to store s’mores cookies: The cookies will keep at room temperature for up to three days. Or you can freeze them for up to three months.
- Can you use large marshmallows instead of mini ones? You can, but you will need to cut each one into fourths so you can mix them into the dough.
- Can you use chocolate chips instead of Hershey bars? Yes, you can make chocolate chip s’more cookies and replace the candy bars with chips. Add a half cup of chips to the dough.
- Help! Why did the marshmallow melt onto the cookie sheet? When you form the cookie dough balls, the marshmallows should not be visible on the side or bottom of the ball. If they are, they will melt onto the cookie sheet. So, makes sure to form the dough, so the marshmallows are encased.
- What’s the best way to freeze these cookies? I like to store them in a freezer bag or container in layers with a paper towel separating each layer. When you thaw the cookies, the towels will absorb the excess moisture.
S’mores are usually a summer thing, but with this s’more cookie recipe, you can enjoy them all year! Melted chocolate, gooey marshmallows, and crunchy graham crackers baked in a perfect cookie. Bet you can’t just eat one!
Other S’mores Recipes You’ll Love
S’mores Cookies Recipe
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup (67g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (100g) packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon butter extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups (186g) all-purpose flour
- ½ heaping cup (32g) coarsely broken graham cracker squares (4 squares)
- 4 (176g) Hershey Bars , divided
- ½ cup (26g) mini marshmallows, plus more for topping
- Mix butter with both sugars until smooth in a large mixing bowl using a wooden spoon or electric mixer.
- Add egg, vanilla, butter extract, baking soda and salt and mix until smooth, then mix in flour.
- Unwrap 2 Hershey Bars and break apart into pieces, then break the small rectangles into 3-4 pieces each.
- Stir the graham crackers, broken Hershey Bars, and ½ cup mini marshmallows into the cookie dough.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Scoop 2-tablespoon size cookie dough balls onto baking sheet. Crowding doesn’t matter, we are chilling the dough. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Important note: make sure the marshmallows are inside the cookie dough, not sticking out the bottom or sides where they will come in contact with the cookie sheet. Push and roll the dough balls as needed to seal the marshmallows inside (showing on top is okay). Any that come in contact with the cookie sheet will melt while baking.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a second cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Spread chilled cookie dough balls at least 2-inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake 11 minutes. While the cookies are baking, break apart remaining Hershey Bars (each rectangle into 2 pieces) and measure out about ⅓ cup more mini marshmallows.
- After the cookies are partially baked at 11 minutes, remove from oven and quickly press 2-3 candy bar pieces and 2-3 mini marshmallows on the top of each one. Return to the oven to finish baking, an additional 3-4 minutes, or until they lose their glossy sheen.
- Cool 5 minutes on pan before removing to a rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
Make S’mores Cookies indoor, any time of the year with this recipe! It’s an easy chocolate chip cookie recipe that won’t disappoint.
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: May 12, 2021