This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Slow Cooker Caramel Cake: I know what you may be thinking: “Cake? In a Crockpot?” That’s right, Crockpot cake is super moist and easy to make!
Table of Contents
Easy Crockpot Cake With Cake Mix
Slow cookers aren’t just for stews and other hearty dishes, they also make a great baking tool! You can actually make all sorts of baked goods in a crock pot, like apple dump cake. This crock pot cake only needs a few ingredients and you will be left with minimal dishes. Just throw everything in the Crockpot!
Ingredients in Crockpot Caramel Cake
- Yellow cake mix- The neutral base of the cake.
- International Delight coffee creamer- Adds creaminess, and makes the cake ultra-rich!
- Vegetable oil
- Eggs- Large eggs are always best
- Boiling water
- Brown sugar- Brown sugar is better than white for this recipe.
- Carmel- For drizzling on top! You can also use caramel sauce if you don’t want to melt solid caramel.
How to make Crockpot Cake
- Prepare the slow cooker: Spray a 6-7 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray (you can also use a slow-cooker liner if you’d like, this just makes it easier during clean up. It’s not completely necessary.)
- Mix in ingredients: Stir in cake mix, creamer, oil, and eggs. Mix with a whisk or hand mixer until it’s completely smooth. Then, pour it into the slow cooker.
- Melt the butter and sugar: In a small saucepan boil some water and whisk in brown sugar and butter until it’s completely melted. (You can also heat the water in the microwave as long as it reaches a boil.) Slowly drizzle over the cake batter in the pan.
- Cook: Cover the crock pot with a paper towel then place the lid on top. This is to catch any condensation so the cake doesn’t get wet. Cook on high power for 1 ½ to 2 ½ hours. The range of cooking time is largely because different slow cookers cook at different speeds. After 1 ½ hours, start to watch the cake to ensure it doesn’t overcook. The crockpot cake will be done when a few crumbs stick to a toothpick when pulled out, but it will no longer look like batter.
- Serve: This crockpot cake tastes best when served with caramel sauce and ice cream. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Let this be proof that you can in fact bake in a crock pot! You can make cake, cheesecakes, crumbles, and more!
It can take anywhere from 1 ½ to 2 ½ hours depending on what kind of slow cooker you have.
Store your leftover cake, covered, in the fridge. You don’t want to leave it out on the counter or it will lose its moistness.
Yes, you can! Be sure to let it cool all the way and place it in an airtight container before putting it in the freezer.
Slow Cooker Caramel Cake
- 1 approximately 15 ounce yellow cake mix
- 1 cup International Delight Creamer Caramel Macchiato or Vanilla will go best, but use your favorite
- ½ cup (118ml) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups (355ml) boiling water
- ¾ cup (150g) packed brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter
- Spray a 6-7 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray or line with a slow cooker liner and spray that with cooking spray. (I used the liner, it’s not necessary except it makes for easy clean up.)
- Stir cake mix, creamer, oil, and eggs in a large bowl with a whisk or a hand mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared slow cooker.
- Heat water until boiling in a microwave or small sauce pan. Whisk in brown sugar and butter until the butter is melted. Slowly drizzle over the cake batter in the pan.
- Cover the crock pot with a paper towel then place the lid on top. The paper towel is to catch any condensation so it doesn’t get the cake wet.
- Cook on high power for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours. There is quite a range of cooking time because all crock pots cook differently. Start peeking at the cake after 1 1/2 hours. Once it no longer looks like batter, check with a toothpick to check for doneness. A few crumbs will stick to the toothpick when it’s done.
- Serve warm with caramel sauce and ice cream. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Use any flavor cake mix and creamer.
- Salted butter may be used.
Last Updated on November 23, 2022
Can you double or triple the recipe?
I haven’t tried that – I think you’d need a much larger crock pot to double it.
I made this for a socially distanced dinner party. It was 45 degrees out so I wanted something warm. I followed the instructions exactly. Mine was done in 1 1/2 hours. I took it outside in the crock and everyone was very intrigued. When they tasted it they were in love. Really good. Really easy. Thanks!!