This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Easy Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Frosting and Mocha Frosting – these easy frosting recipes are perfect for cupcakes or shortbread cookie sandwiches! I could seriously eat both frostings with just a spoon, especially the Pumpkin!
I love frosting. Truth be told, it’s my favorite part of a cupcake, but only if it’s GOOD frosting. It has to be the perfect balance of sweet and flavorful, nothing greasy or overpowering or fake tasting.
Have you ever watched kids at a birthday party? It’s funny because I always go to this trouble of making the perfect cupcakes with gorgeous decorations and afterwards when I’m shoveling plates into a big garbage bag there are chunks of cupcake all over the plates and the frosting is all gone.
Pretty much what I’m saying is that frosting is were it’s AT. A few good frosting recipes are all you need – save yourself the cupcake calories and just serve shots of frosting.
Today I’ve created two new frosting recipes for you that are perfect for any recipe: cupcakes, cake, cookie sandwiches, or even just frosting shots with a spoon. First up, Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Frosting. You guys, this is the BEST frosting. It’s like fall in a bite.
I combined butter and cream cheese and pumpkin, then added some pumpkin pie spice and powdered sugar. It’s a soft frosting that’s perfect for this time of year.
Next up: Mocha Frosting. Now that the weather is teasing us with cooler temps, I’m craving mochas like crazy. In summer I’m all about plain coffee or Americanos because they’re not as heavy as a milk-ladder drink but now? Now I want PSL and Mochas all day long. I decided to turn my favorite coffee drink into a frosting and if you love chocolate THIS is the frosting for you.
It started off with my basic vanilla frosting recipe that I doctored with some cocoa powder and instant espresso powder. You can find the instant espresso powder at most grocery stores in the coffee aisle, but if you can’t find it you can substitute instant coffee granules. This is the perfect frosting for frosting shots, IMO, but also for a rich chocolate cupcake or brownie.
Now, if you know me well, you know that cupcakes aren’t my favorite dessert (even though I love frosting). If pie isn’t available, I’d much rather reach for cookies…and if I’m reaching for cookies I absolutely LOVE shortbread.
Not only would these frostings be great on any recipe you have in mind, but they make the PERFECT sandwich cookie filling, in case you were wondering.
I decided to sandwich these frostings in between two Walkers Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies. They’re the perfect vehicle for the frosting – any of their cookies would be. The delicate buttery shortbread allows the flavors of the frosting to POP. I had an impromptu kid party a few weeks ago and needed some dessert. Luckily I had frosting in the fridge and just piped them between cookies for a quick treat for the kids.
Jordan loved both frostings, especially the mocha. Girl after my own heart!
Which will you try first?
Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Frosting & Mocha Frosting
For the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
For the Mocha Frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
To make the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth with a hand mixer, then mix in pumpkin puree. Mix in spice and salt, then slowly add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, until the mixture is smooth.
- Chill at least 30 minutes before frosting. The frosting is not stiff, so it’s best as a filling or flat cupcake frosting. Store in refrigerator.
To make the Mocha Frosting:
- Beat butter until smooth, then add salt and powdered sugar. Mix until crumbly. Add espresso powder and vanilla and mix (mixture will still be crumbly) then add 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream and beat until smooth, adding more cream as needed for desired consistency.
- Frost as directed by recipe. Store in refrigerator but serve room temperature.
To make cookie sandwiches:
- Pipe frosting between Walkers Chocolate Chip Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies for an easy dessert!
This post is sponsored by Walkers Shortbread. All opinions are 100% my own.
Last Updated on September 23, 2019