The only thing better than peanut butter cookies are butterscotch peanut butter cookies! These cookies are easy to make and have the perfect balance of peanut butter and butterscotch chips.
I wasn’t sure there was a way to improve on a classic peanut butter cookie, but then I added butterscotch chips, and, let me tell you, these easy butterscotch cookies are amazing.
I love when you can add a simple twist to a classic cookie recipe and take it to a whole new level. This butterscotch chip recipe is a perfect example – the combination of peanut butter and butterscotch is so good.
Table of Contents
These are easy peanut butter cookies that have butterscotch chips mixed into the batter. Here’s what you need to make them:
- Butter: use softened unsalted butter
- Peanut Butter: I always use creamy peanut butter but you can use crunchy. Just be sure to use a no-stir (not natural) brand.
- Sugars: Light brown sugar and Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract, Large egg, salt, baking soda: typical for cookies
- Milk: my secret ingredient for peanut butter cookies
- All-purpose flour: be sure to use the spoon and level method
- Butterscotch chips
How to Make Peanut Butter Butterscotch Cookies
1. Mix the wet ingredients: Mix the butter and peanut butter in a stand mixer or bowl with a hand mixer. Add both types of sugars and cream them with the butter mixture until smooth. Mix in the egg, vanilla, and milk until combined.
2. Add the dry ingredients: Add the baking soda and salt and mix. Slowly add the flour and mix just until the dough comes together. Stir in the butterscotch chips.
3. Scoop and Press: Form two tablespoons of the dough to form each cookie ball. Place them two inches apart on a prepared cookie sheet. Make a crisscross pattern on top of each cookie using a fork. If the dough sticks to the fork, dip it in granulated sugar.
4. Bake: Bake the cookies at 350°F for 9 to 13 minutes or until the tops are no longer glossy and the edges are light golden brown.
I like a medium-sized cookie (2-inch balls), but you can make them bigger or smaller. You can also make cookie bars in a baking dish.
- Small cookies: 1-inch balls and bake for 7 to 11 minutes.
- Medium cookies: 2-inch balls and bake for 9 to 13 minutes.
- Jumbo cookies: Scoop ¼ cup of dough to form each cookie and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Peanut butter cookie bars: Press the dough into a 9×13” baking pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Tips for the Best Peanut Butter Butterscotch Cookies
Measuring: Use the spoon and level method when you measure the flour for the best results. Having too much or too little flour will change the texture of the cookies.
Butter: Softened butter is a lot easier to cream and important for getting the right cookie texture. Read more about how to soften butter if you want some tips!
Mixing: When you add the flour to the wet ingredients, do it gradually and stop to scrape down the bowl. Mix just until the flour is absorbed and avoid overmixing, which can make your cookies tough.
Baking: Keep an eye on them while they bake. Once they are no longer glossy on top, they’re ready!
Storing: Keep the peanut butter cookies in an airtight container. Or, you can freeze them for up to a month.
If you’re a butterscotch fan or know someone who is, you need to add this butterscotch cookie to your baking list! They’re so easy to make, and I love the unique flavor combo – I hope you love them, too!
More Unique Cookie Recipes
- Boozy White Chocolate Pistachio Cranberry Cookies
- Stuffed Snowball Cookies
- Homemade Coconut Oreos
- Chocolate Mocha Snickerdoodles
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Peanut Butter Butterscotch Cookies
- ½ cup 113g unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup 213g creamy peanut butter
- ¾ cup 138g light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup 50g granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon 5ml vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon 15ml milk
- ½ teaspoon 3g baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cup 248g all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Place butter and peanut butter in a large bowl. Using a hand or a stand mixer, mix until combined then add both sugars. Cream until smooth. Mix in egg, vanilla, and milk and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Mix in baking soda and salt, then slowly mix in flour and mix just until the batter is smooth and comes together. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl during mixing. Stir in butterscotch chips.
- Scoop 2 tablespoon balls of dough and place 2-inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Using a fork, create a criss cross pattern on the cookies to flatten slightly. (Tip: if the dough starts sticking to the fork, dip it in a bit of granulated sugar.)
- Bake for 9-13 minutes, or until the edges are just golden brown and the tops are no longer glossy. Cool on cookie sheets at least 10 minutes before removing.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
Peanut Butter Butterscotch Cookies are the best peanut butter cookies with butterscotch chips! This easy cookie recipe is perfect for butterscotch lovers – turn them into scotcheroos by adding chocolate!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: January 31, 2021