This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Oatmeal Scotchies are a classic oatmeal cookie recipe full of butterscotch chips. This cookie is simple and easy and it’s one of my favorite cookie recipes!
Oatmeal Scotchies are the perfect go-to cookie recipe. Simple oatmeal cookies get an infusion of flavor by adding butterscotch chips!
Table of Contents
BEST Oatmeal Scotchies Recipe
When I was a kid, I hated butterscotch. Detested it. My mom would make rice crispy treats and add a package of butterscotch chips and I wouldn’t touch them with a 10-foot pole. But, as I’ve gotten older, my picky palate has improved.
When I started this blog I didn’t like a lot of things. And that changed with time: Almond Joy candy bars now. Like, love to the nth degree. And I used to hate coconut more than I hated butterscotch, and lemon desserts were a no-go too. Now lemon desserts are one of the most popular on this blog and coconut is one of my favorites. Same goes with butterscotch.
I grew up making oatmeal cookies, but hadn’t ever added butterscotch until I was an adult. Several years ago I wanted something without chocolate for those (confusing) people who don’t like chocolate and I’m always worried about making peanut butter at potlucks, so butterscotch it was.
I feel like oatmeal cookies are totally underrated, when they’re actually one of my favorites. I grew up making the Quaker Vanishing Oatmeal Cookie recipe, and I still love them to this day.
Ingredients in Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies
- Butter – Use softened unsalted butter
- Sugar – I love a combination of packed brown sugar and granulated sugar for these.
- Eggs – Always buy large eggs
- Vanilla – Always use PURE vanilla extract
- Baking Soda – Helps them flatten
- Cinnamon – A must in any oatmeal cookie!
- Salt – needed since we started with unsalted butter
- Flour – Always use all-purpose flour unless another is specified
- Quick Oats – Did you know you can make your own quick oats out of old fashioned? Works like a charm!
- Butterscotch Chips – Find these in the baking aisle
How to make Oatmeal Scothies
- Whisk dry ingredients.
- Cream butter and sugars.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Mix in oats.
- Add butterscotch chips and mix.
- Scoop onto cookie sheets and bake!
Oatmeal Scotchies Recipe
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup (200g) packed brown sugar
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (186g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups (240g) quick-cook oats (see note)
- 2 cups (311g) butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat liners.
- Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in the oats and butterscotch chips.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto your prepared baking sheets. I like to use a 2 tablespoon sized ice cream scoop for this so the cookies will all be the same size.
- Bake 12-16 minutes. Cool five minutes and then remove from pan to cool completely.
- If you don’t have quick oats, make your own quick oats by pulsing old fashioned in a food processor. When I made this recipe with homemade quick oats it was about 375g of homemade quick oats (3 cups).
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days or freeze baked cookies for up to 2 months.
- You can freeze cookie dough as well, allow to thaw 15 minutes on cookie sheet before baking.
If you love oatmeal cookies, be sure to try:
- Oatmeal Cookie Pie – this gooey cookie is perfect with ice cream.
- Oatmeal Blondies have everything but the kitchen sink!
- This Berry Crisp has an oatmeal cookie crumble!
The BEST Oatmeal Scotchies recipe!! This oatmeal cookie with butterscotch chips is soft and chewy and my favorite cookie.
Last Updated on January 10, 2023