We love making tacos with crockpot salsa chicken! This 2 ingredient slow cooker recipe is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or for when you’re doing meal prep. And you can even start with frozen chicken if you want!
Someone told me about making salsa chicken in the crockpot years and years ago and this 2 ingredient recipe has been a staple on my dinner table ever since.
Two ingredients in the slow cooker make Dorothy a happy home cook because it’s easy, fast (even though it’s slow) and delicious. We eat this shredded chicken alone, with rice and vegetables, on salad or in tacos (which is my favorite). You can even add leftovers to casseroles!
Easy Salsa Chicken in the Crockpot
Versatile chicken recipes like this make getting dinner on the table so much easier – and this recipe is family approved. Even Jordan eats it!
Crockpot Salsa Chicken cooks chicken and salsa in the slow cooker for an easy family meal!
Table of Contents
- Easy Salsa Chicken in the Crockpot
- Salsa Chicken in the slow cooker needs only 2 ingredients
- How to make Salsa Chicken in the Crockpot
- How long do you slow cook chicken breasts?
- Crockpot Salsa Chicken is weight watchers approved!
- Can you make Salsa Chicken in the instant pot?
- How do you serve salsa chicken?
- Crockpot Salsa Chicken
Salsa Chicken in the slow cooker needs only 2 ingredients
That’s what I love about this recipe – I always have these two ingredients on hand. I never even have to go to the grocery store to make this dinner recipe.
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts, thawed or frozen
- Jar of salsa – use red or green salsa, your choice
How to make Salsa Chicken in the Crockpot
Tip: use a slow cooker liner for easy cleanup!
You can buy these liners where you find plastic bags and foil and they make cleanup a breeze!
1. Dump: place the chicken in the crockpot and top with salsa.
2. Cook: Cook on low for 2-4 hours.
How long do you slow cook chicken breasts?
So crockpots with chicken breasts are notoriously dry, so you have to be a little careful when making boneless chicken in a slow cooker.
I set my crockpot on high for 3 hours but the chicken is usually done around 2 hours. I check the chicken with an instant read thermometer and when it’s at 165°F it’s done.
Once you make chicken in your slow cooker a few times you’ll know how long it takes and then you won’t have to watch it.
Can you make salsa chicken with frozen chicken?
Yes you can – I’ve done it a lot in a pinch. Technically I can’t recommend cooking frozen chicken in the slow cooker (liability) but it can be done. If you set it on high for 4 hours, be sure to start checking it at 3 hours and also make sure that the chicken is in a single layer, not all clumped together.
Once the chicken is done cooking, just shred it and stir it up in the salsa. It’s ready to eat!
Crockpot Salsa Chicken is weight watchers approved!
On the new smart points plan chicken and salsa are both FREE! Just make sure to use a weight watchers approved salsa. It’s great that this recipe is a healthy dinner too, especially when you make a salad out of it.
Can you make Salsa Chicken in the instant pot?
Yes you can – and I have! Instant Pot Salsa Chicken is an even faster recipe than this crockpot version, so if you’re in a hurry you can make it in a pressure cooker.
To make Salsa Chicken in an instant pot:
- Add the chicken to the instant pot (thawed or frozen – but not in a clump)
- Add 1 cup (or more) salsa to the instant pot
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and seal the valve
- Set the pressure to high for 10 minutes and do a 10 minute natural release. Read all about cooking instant pot chicken here.
How do you serve salsa chicken?
We eat this chicken recipe in so many ways:
- On salad
- Served with rice or beans and a vegetable
Tacos are my favorite way to use salsa chicken. We like crunchy tacos or soft tacos and I always make a selection of toppings like cheese, lettuce, olives and avocado. We do Taco Tuesday like three times a week!
Funny story, when this Tacosaurus showed up Jordan just rolled her eyes at me (I mean really, eating tacos from a dinosaur – even a 40 year old loves that – but not teens, apparently). But last week we had tacos and she said she’d eat one …if I served it to her on Tyson’s back. Tyson is the name of our tacosaurus. What…you don’t name your taco dinosaurs? LOL
This chicken goes awesome with:
Kitchen tools I used:
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Crockpot Salsa Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts see note
- 1 15-16 ounce jar salsa red or green
- If desired, line slow cooker with a liner.
- Place chicken and salsa in a 5-7 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and set on high for 3 hours. After 2 hours, check the temperature of the chicken with an instant read thermometer. Once chicken is at 165°F it’s done cooking. (This will take 2-3 hours depending on your crockpot.)
- Alternately, set the crockpot to low for 4-6 hours and start checking it after 3 hours.
- Shred the chicken with two forks and stir it up with the salsa.
- Serve on salad, plain or in tacos. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to one month.
- You can use up to 2 pounds chicken breasts for this, just make sure they make a single layer (as single layer as possible) on the bottom of the crockpot.
- Use my homemade salsa recipe if you want!
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: January 5, 2021