Oreo Cookie Bars taste like an Oreo but in bar form. These Gooey Bars are one of my favorite homemade recipes – they’re chocolatey and gooey and full of white chocolate.
If you love Oreos you’ll LOVE these bars.
These bars are rated #1 by anyone who eats them. They disappear fast whenever I make them!
We all know I love gooey bars and figured I wanted to make another version.
I thought about using a cake mix but then I thought, what if I turn my Homemade Oreo Cookie Recipe into a gooey bar? I could press half the dough into the pan, layer it with sweetened condensed milk, white chocolate, and Oreos, and then layer the rest of the dough on top. Then I could bake it and all would be right with the world.
I was right, BTW. Gooey Oreo Cookie Bars FTW.
Table of Contents
What is a gooey bar?
Gooey bars, for me, are a cookie bar that are filled with something gooey, like caramel or sweetened condensed milk.
Most of my gooey bar recipes start with a cake mix but I have been known to make them from scratch, and this is one of those recipes.
Basically, these are a layered cookie bar with sweetened condensed milk in the middle. I also always add some sort of chocolate chip in the center.
To make these cookie bars from scratch, we need to make a copycat Oreo cookie dough.
Basically you’re using all the ingredients you use to make a chocolate cookie:
- Butter and sugar
- Flour and baking soda
But instead of using regular unsweetened cocoa, you need to use a dark chocolate cocoa to make these truly taste like Oreos. I always use Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa in all my recipes where I want a dark chocolate taste.
Learn all about cocoa powder here but while dutch process will give you a darker richer flavor, you really need to use the Hershey’s one in this recipe. The baking soda in the cookie dough can affect the outcome with dutch process, plus the Special Dark really gives these the Oreo taste.
Assembling Gooey Bars
These are made in a 9×9-inch pan. Press about half the dough in the bottom of the pan.
Top the dough with chocolate chips and half a can of sweetened condensed milk.
Then drop pieces of dough on the top of the gooey center. They don’t have to be solid, but make sure you press them around the edges.
Once you bake the top will melt together and give you the BEST cookie bars EVER.
Oreo Cookie Bar FAQ
No, you can use any kind of chips you like: milk chocolate, semi-sweet, peanut butter, white, butterscotch. Anything works, just use ½ cup.
That’s because these are gooey bars. If the top looks done and the edges look crisp and done, then they’re done baking. The center will firm as they cool.
You need to let them cool completely before cutting or they’ll be a mess. Tip: for pretty cuts like shown in the photos, chill the bars before cutting.
You can find it in 99% of grocery stores in the baking aisle. You can also buy it on amazon. In a pinch, you can substitute regular unsweetened cocoa powder.
Other favorite gooey bar recipes
- Lemon Gooey Bars
- Caramel Apple Gooey Bars
- Gooey Butterfinger Brownie Bars by Inside BruCrew Life
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Gooey Bars
- Gooey Peanut Butter Cup Bars
Gooey Oreo Cookie Bars
- 1/3 cup Hershey’s Special Dark unsweetened cocoa powder (you can use regular unsweetened if needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 6 Oreo cookies chopped
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9” square pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and flour. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and both sugars. Mix in egg and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Press half the dough into the bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle with white chocolate chips and chopped Oreos. Drizzle with sweetened condensed milk. Drop remaining dough by spoonfuls over the top and spread lightly with your fingers. Some of the filling will show through, try to seal the edges as much as possible.
- Bake for about 27-30 minutes util the top looses it’s glossy sheen and they look dry on top. The center may jiggle just a bit still. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
Make Gooey Oreo Cookie Bars with dark cocoa and sweetened condensed milk. These are gooey bars from scratch and they taste like Oreos!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: September 8, 2020