Caramel Apple Gooey Bars
These Caramel Apple Gooey bars are one of my favorite versions yet: cake mix gooey bars are full of Rolos candy and apples for the perfect fall recipe.
Okay, yes. I know I have a problem. A gooey bar problem.
I just can’t. Get. Enough! (Psst…here are all my gooey bar recipes!)
And, well, you know me. When I find something I like, I buy 7. So…more gooey bars for you! But that’s not a problem, right?
YOU like gooey bars as much as I do!
And you’re gonna love these Caramel Apple Gooey Bars!
I seriously can’t stop thinking of combos. I mean, stand in the candy aisle at Walmart for a minute and just imagine.
Peanut Butter Cups.
Rolos. That’s what spawned these. Rolos are amazing – caramel and chocolate. Two things that go so well with apple.
Caramel Apple Gooey Bars combine Rolos with apples and cake mix to make the perfect fall gooey bar recipe!
These bars, as usual, start with a cake mix. I used a yellow cake mix. (I’m partial to Duncan Hines.) You make a dough out of it, and press half into the pan.
Then you spread apples and Rolos on top. And give those a bath in sweetened condensed milk. Topped with the rest of the cake mix dough, you bake and then swoon in delight.
Apples + Caramel + Chocolate = Good.
A note about the recipe: I didn’t pre-cook my apples, so they’re a little chewy. I wanted them that way in this. If you can’t stand that, then pre-cook them. It won’t affect the rest of the recipe, and I’ve made a note in the recipe itself.
Either way – these are the perfect way to use up those apples from the orchard.
And the perfect excuse to buy Rolos.
Not that you really need an excuse. Those suckers are good!
Caramel Apple Gooey Bars
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup), softened
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups cored, peeled, and diced apples (I used Granny Smith)
- 30 Rolos, unwrapped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed millk (I use fat-free)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×9” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Mix cake mix, egg, butter, and cinnamon in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. The dough will form a ball.
- Press about half of the dough in the bottom of the pan. Top with diced apples and Rolos. Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top. Place bits of the remaining dough evenly over the top and press gently to compact.
- Bake bars for about 35 minutes, until the top just begins to brown. Remove from oven and cool completely before slicing. The refrigerator helps this step, but be sure to serve room temperature so no one breaks a tooth on a cold Rolo!
Note: the apples are a little chewy. I like them that way in these, but if you prefer a softer apple you can cook the apples before adding them in step 3. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a frying pan and add the apples. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the just start to become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add as directed to the top of the cake mixture and continue from there.
Sweets from friends:
Caramel Macchiato Gooey Bars by Inside BruCrew Life
Better than Anything Caramel Stuffed Brownies by Something Swanky
Gooey Chocolate Oreo Crunch Butter Cake by Half Baked Harvest