Apple Gooey Bars are the best dessert for fall! They are easy to make with cake mix, and each bite is loaded with apples and gooey Rolo caramel candy. If you love caramel apples, you will LOVE this easy gooey bar recipe.
Table of Contents
Guys, I have a serious problem with gooey bars – I can’t stop making them! But, oh, I love them, and these apple gooey bars are my new favorite for the fall season. I mean, who can so no to apples, caramel, and chocolate? Not me.
What are Caramel Apple Gooey Bars?
Gooey bars are just what they sound like: dessert bars that are ooey-gooey on the inside. They are one of my favorite dessert bars. What makes them “gooey” is sweetened condensed milk.
Caramel apple gooey bars combine Rolos with apples and cake mix to make the perfect fall gooey bar recipe!
What I love about this type of dessert bar is that the combinations are endless. I seriously can’t stop thinking of combos. I mean, stand in the candy aisle at Walmart for a minute and just imagine.
This time it was the Rolos that inspired this newest creation. Rolos are amazing – caramel and chocolate. Two things that go so well with apple. I just can’t. Get. Enough! (Psst…here are all my gooey bar recipes!)
Yellow Cake Mix: You can use any brand but I’ve used both Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines.
Egg: Be sure to buy large eggs.
Butter: Be sure it’s softened!
Cinnamon: Because it pairs so well with apples!
Apples: I used Granny Smith but you can also use anything you like (except full red delicious or similar, those would get too mushy)
Unwrapped Rolos: For the filling, or a similar caramel candy.
Sweetened Condensed Milk: Regular or fat-free are both fine.
How to Make Apple Gooey Bars
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer), combine the cake mix, egg, butter, and cinnamon until the dough forms a ball.
- Press half of the dough in the bottom of a prepared 9×9” baking pan. Top the dough with the apples and Rolos.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top. Place chunks of the remaining dough evenly over the top of the filling and then gently press the dough on top.
- Bake bars for 35 minutes a 350°F or until the top just begins to turn golden. Then, remove the bars from the oven and cool them completely in the pan before slicing.
Tips and Variations
- I don’t precook the apples for this recipe, so they are a little chewy in the bars. I like them this way, but if you prefer softer apples, you should precook them first.
- I like Granny Smith apples for this recipe because they’re tart, which works well with the sweet bars. If you want to use sweeter apples, try Honeycrisp or Golden Delicious.
- If you don’t want chocolate in your bars, you can switch the Rolos for soft caramel candies. I don’t recommend using caramel sauce because it could change the texture of the bars or get absorbed into the dough, which means no gooey caramel. Boo.
- You can also use caramel Hershey kisses for this recipe instead of the Rolos.
- You can speed up the cooling process and stick the bars in the refrigerator. However, I don’t recommend serving them cold from the fridge. Let them come to room temperature so the caramel candy can soften. You don’t want anyone breaking a tooth on a cold Rolo!
- It’s best to store your gooey bars are room temperature. Keep them tightly wrapped, and they will keep well for a few days.
Have fun experimenting with this Apple gooey bar recipe – any candy that goes with apples will work. So, think chopped peanut butter cups, mini Hershey bars, or try different baking chips like chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch, or peanut butter chips. You can also add nuts like chopped walnuts or pecans.
These are the perfect way to use up those apples from the orchard and the perfect excuse to buy Rolos. Not that you really need an excuse. These suckers are good – the perfect fall gooey bar!
More Gooey Bar Recipes You’ll Love
Caramel Apple Gooey Bars
- 1 (approx 15 ounce) yellow cake mix
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter , softened
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups (approx 180g) diced apples (Granny Smith)
- 30 (161g) Rolos , unwrapped
- ½ cup (4 ounces by volume) sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×9” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Mix cake mix, egg, butter, and cinnamon in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. The dough will form a ball.
- Press about half of the dough in the bottom of the pan. Top with diced apples and Rolos. Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top. Place bits of the remaining dough evenly over the top and press gently to compact.
- Bake bars for about 35-45 minutes, until the top just begins to brown. Remove from oven and cool completely before slicing. The refrigerator helps this step, but be sure to serve room temperature so no one breaks a tooth on a cold Rolo!
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
If you love caramel apples, you will LOVE this easy Caramel Apple Gooey Bar recipe. They are perfect for fall and loaded with apples and Rolo caramel candies.
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: August 26, 2021