This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
These Easy Mermaid Cupcakes will be sure to make a splash at any birthday celebration! Decorating them is easy and fun – perfect for kids and adults alike.
Table of Contents
Easy Mermaid Cupcakes
Ursula from Disney’s The Little Mermaid said it best, “Life’s full of tough choices”. Especially when it comes to making a new recipe for me. I had so many mermaid cupcake ideas and didn’t know what flavor cake mix to use, or if I should add candy melts, sprinkles, and so much more…
And you know I like to make things easy for you, especially if you’re preparing for a party. That’s why these mermaid tail cupcakes start with a cake mix and finished with mermaid tails and other fun sprinkles.
As for the frosting, store-bought works or my easy vanilla frosting recipe which I used as pictured.
Everyone’s going to be snapping pictures of their adorable mermaid tail cupcake! They make the best addition to a mermaid birthday party since they’re so adorable!
- Cupcakes: you can use a cake mix or follow one of your favorite homemade Cupcake Recipes. I decided to use my Funfetti Cupcakes recipe because it adds a fun pop of color.
- Frosting: I used vanilla buttercream. You can either make your own frosting or if you’re in a hurry, you can use store-bought.
- Decoration: You’ll need candy melts, a mold, and sprinkles!
The kit I used is no longer available, but here are some options for you:
How to make mermaid cupcakes
- Melt the pink and blue candy melts in two separate microwave-safe bowls until melted and smooth. (Learn how to melt candy without crying!)
- Place melted candy into one of the piping bags and snip off the tip.
- Pipe into the mermaid tail molds.
- Cool down to room temperature then release them from the mold by turning them upside down.
- Frost onto cupcakes with the desired tip from the cupcake kit.
- Top cupcakes with sprinkles and a mermaid tail!
- I like to use paper bowls for easy cleanup when microwaving the candy melts
- Use your favorite sprinkles, cupcakes, and frosting combinations.
Yes! You can freeze the cupcakes without the frosting in an airtight container.
Make these mermaid cupcakes up to 3 days in advance.
Easy Mermaid Cupcakes Recipe
- 24 cupcakes baked and cooled (see notes for links)
- 1 recipe vanilla frosting
- Blue and pink candy melts
- Place the pink candy melts in a microwave safe bowl. Tip: I like to use paper bowls for easy clean up. Melt in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until melted and smooth. Place melted candy into one of the piping bags and snip off the tip. Pipe into tail molds, tap molds to settle. Chill to set.
- Once the pink tails are hardened, release from the mold by turning upside down.
- Repeat step 1 with the blue candy melts.
- Frost cupcakes with desired tip from the cupcake kit. (The kit comes with a round tip and a start tip.)
- Top cupcakes with sprinkles and a mermaid tail.
Last Updated on July 17, 2023