This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Easy Meatball Bombs are the perfect easy dinner or appetizer! Frozen meatballs wrapped in biscuit dough – like a meatball sub but even better. We love serving these with pizza sauce and a side salad but they’re always a hit at parties too.
Table of Contents
What are Meatball Bombs?
Meatball bombs are essentially meatball subs that you can eat in two bites. Ever wanted a way to taste all the cheesy, saucy, meaty goodness of a meatball sub without getting marinara all over your hands (and face… and shirt… and hair…)? Well, now you can! Biscuits, marinara, mozzarella, and meatballs combine to create the perfect meatball sub, all in one bite!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- SUPER easy to make with frozen meatballs and refrigerator biscuits!
- Freezable and perfect for parties!
Ingredients in Meatball Bombs
- Frozen Meatballs – Use your favorite brand, but I love Farm Rich.
- Mozzarella – You’ll want to use freshly shredded mozzarella cheese, not the pre-shredded kind.
- Pillsbury Canned Biscuits – Or use the store brand
- Marinara sauce – Or use homemade pizza sauce, for dipping.
- Butter – melted salted or unsalted butter, for brushing on top the biscuits
- Spices – Italian seasoning, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Parmesan – grated, for topping
How to Make Meatball Bombs
- Preheat oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F and prepare a 9×13” baking dish by greasing it with nonstick cooking spray. Alternatively, you can use a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Thaw meatballs: In a microwave-safe dish, pour two tablespoons of water over frozen meatballs and cover the dish with a paper towel. Use the microwave to heat frozen meatballs for 2 minutes and 30 seconds before draining.
- Build meatball bombs: Separate tubed biscuits and slice each from the middle as if to create a sandwich. Flatten each slice and begin to build each meatball bomb. In the center of each sliced biscuit, place a bit of marinara, a bit of mozzarella, and a meatball. Use your fingers to fold the edges of the biscuit over the contents and pinch to seal it. As you build each ball, gently place them next to one another on the baking dish. If using a cookie sheet, separate each ball.
- Top the bombs: Combine melted butter, onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning in a bowl. Top each biscuit with this butter mixture and grated parmesan.
- Bake: Bake for 20-25 minutes. Don’t wait for the biscuits to become golden because the butter will prevent them from doing so. Serve with marinara for dipping.
It may not seem all that important, but stretching and flattening your slices of biscuit dough before adding the filling is crucial. Otherwise, your dough slice may tear as it tries to stretch around the meatball.
Yes, you can use pizza dough instead of biscuits.
Store meatball bombs in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Alternatively, store them in the freezer for up to one month.
Yes, you can store meatball bombs in the freezer sealed in an airtight container for up to 30 days.
We serve meatball bombs with marinara for dipping, but you can also serve them up with pesto, garlic butter, or anything else that you’d normally eat with meatballs!
Have You Made This Recipe?
Leave a rating by clicking the stars below!
Easy Meatball Bombs Recipe
- 16 frozen meatballs
- 1 approximately 16 ounce tube refrigerated biscuits (8 biscuits)
- ⅓ cup pasta sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons (28g) butter , melted
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Grated parmesan cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Place meatballs on a microwave safe plate or bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of water and cover with a paper towel. Heat for 2 minutes and 30 seconds, then drain and set aside.
- Open tube of biscuits. Separate biscuits and slice in half (as if you were making a sandwich). Flatten each biscuit piece slightly with your hands. Place a bit of sauce, some cheese, and a meatball in the center of each biscuit, then fold up and pinch to seal. Place each ball in baking dish or on a cookie sheet. How you bake them is personal preference (touching in a pan or separate on a cookie sheet).
- Stir melted butter, Italian seasoning, and onion and garlic powder in a small bowl. Brush over the top of each biscuit. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until biscuits are cooked through. They won’t get very golden on top, because of the butter.
- Serve warm with a bowl of more pasta sauce for dipping. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to one month. These are good warm or cold, and are perfect for appetizers or lunches.
What to serve with meatball bombs
Meatball Sub Bites are a biscuit bomb with meatballs inside! This is the perfect appetizer recipe or easy dinner – even picky eaters love these.
Last Updated on January 17, 2023