This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Easy Meatball Sub Bites are the perfect easy dinner or appetizer! Frozen meatballs wrapped in biscuit dough – they’re like meatball bombs! We love serving these with pizza sauce and a side salad but they’re always a hit at parties too.
Table of Contents
Meatball Subs in Biscuits
Meatball bombs are essentially meatball subs that you can eat in two bites. Ever wanted a way to taste all the cheesy, saucy, meaty goodness of a meatball sub without getting marinara all over your hands (and face… and shirt… and hair…)? Well, now you can! Biscuits, marinara, mozzarella, and meatballs combine to create the perfect meatball sub, all in one bite!
These are super easy to make using frozen meatballs and refrigerator biscuits. They’re the perfect appetizer for parties or even as a simple weeknight dinner!
- Frozen Meatballs – Use your favorite brand, turkey or beef or any flavor.
- Mozzarella – You’ll want to use freshly shredded mozzarella cheese, not the pre-shredded kind.
- Pillsbury Canned Biscuits – Or use the store brand
- Marinara sauce – Or use homemade pizza sauce, for dipping.
- Butter – melted salted or unsalted butter, for brushing on top the biscuits
- Spices – Italian seasoning, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Parmesan – grated, for topping
How to Make Meatball Bombs
- Thaw the meatballs in the microwave (or leave them out on the counter for an hour or so until thawed.
- Cut each biscuit in half (as if making a sandwich).
- Top with sauce, cheese, and a meatball.
- Roll into balls.
- Combine melted butter, onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning in a bowl. Top each biscuit with this butter mixture and grated parmesan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Don’t wait for the biscuits to become golden because the butter will prevent them from doing so. Serve with marinara for dipping.
Yes, you can use pizza dough instead of biscuits.
Store meatball bombs in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Alternatively, store them in the freezer for up to one month.
Yes, you can store meatball bombs in the freezer sealed in an airtight container for up to 30 days.
Easy Meatball Bombs Recipe
- 16 frozen meatballs
- 1 approximately 16 ounce tube refrigerated biscuits (8 biscuits)
- ⅓ cup pasta sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons (28g) butter , melted
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Grated parmesan cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Place meatballs on a microwave safe plate or bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of water and cover with a paper towel. Heat for 2 minutes and 30 seconds, then drain and set aside.
- Open tube of biscuits. Separate biscuits and slice in half (as if you were making a sandwich). Flatten each biscuit piece slightly with your hands. Place a bit of sauce, some cheese, and a meatball in the center of each biscuit, then fold up and pinch to seal. Place each ball in baking dish or on a cookie sheet. How you bake them is personal preference (touching in a pan or separate on a cookie sheet).
- Stir melted butter, Italian seasoning, and onion and garlic powder in a small bowl. Brush over the top of each biscuit. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until biscuits are cooked through. They won’t get very golden on top, because of the butter.
- Serve warm with a bowl of more pasta sauce for dipping. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to one month. These are good warm or cold, and are perfect for appetizers or lunches.
What to serve with meatball bombs
Meatball Sub Bites are a biscuit bomb with meatballs inside! This is the perfect appetizer recipe or easy dinner – even picky eaters love these.
Last Updated on January 24, 2024