This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Easy Cheesy Pepperoni Pinwheels – this easy appetizer recipe tastes like mini pizza rolls! EVERYONE loves these pepperoni bites and they’re always the first to disappear at every party.
I’ll never forget the first time I ate pepperoni pinwheels. I was at my sister-in-law’s house for some holiday or other…probably 15 years ago (at least, if not more). She served these as an appetizer and I immediately fell in love with them. She gave me the recipe that day and I’ve been making them for every party I have ever since.
Whenever we’re having people over for any reason (a party or just for dinner) my husband always looks at me with those big puppy dog eyes and asks me to make “those pepperoni things” and I can’t ever say no. I’ve even been known to make a last minute trip back to the grocery store because I’ve forgotten to buy puff pastry.
These are also good to snack on for lunch or dinner (hot or cold) and I’ve been known to just eat them while hiding from Mel in the kitchen so he won’t get to them first.
Basically, what I’m saying is, pepperoni pinwheels are one of the easiest appetizers you’ll ever make and EVERYONE will love them. Puff pastry, cheese, pepperoni…how could you not?
How do you make a pepperoni pinwheel?
- Frozen puff pastry sheets. (You can find them in the freezer section near the desserts.) This recipe just needs one of the two sheets that are in the package (unless you want to double the recipe…which I do often). Let it thaw according the the package directions.
- Mustard makes everything stick. Now, I hate mustard. Detest it. I’ve never actually eaten it willingly. The smell gets me – just making Mel a sandwich makes my stomach turn. When I found out these had mustard in them I felt like back in the day when my mom would make me eat something and fall in love and THEN tell me it had tomato sauce in it. Anyway, even if you don’t love mustard, you’ll still love these. You don’t taste the mustard, it’s just for binding.
- Then pepperoni and cheese. You layer pepperoni and parmesan or asiago cheese on top, then roll them up. Once you chill them, you slice and bake, like cookies but for DINNER.
These pepperoni pinwheels are like little bite size crunchy pizzas….but classier, because of the puff pastry.
If you’re looking for the perfect pepperoni bite, this is it!
These are sure to disappear first at any party. They’re one of my most requested appetizers!
Easy Cheesy Pepperoni Pinwheels
- 1 puff pastry sheet from a box of two, thawed according to package directions
- 1 tablespoon dijon or spicy mustard
- 42 (approx) pepperoni slices half of a 6 ounce package
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or asiago cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Unwrap thawed puff pastry sheet and slice in half.
- On each half: spread about 1/2 tablespoon of mustard into a thin layer, then layer about 3 rows of pepperoni (about 21 pieces; it’s okay if they overlap). Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese and 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning. Roll up tightly from the long side. Wet the edge with your finger and a bit of water to seal and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Chill at least one hour (or up to 2 days).
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Remove rolls from refrigerator and unwrap, then slice 1/2” slices. Lay flat on baking sheets.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until puffy and golden brown. Serve hot.
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
Click here for my ultimate Football Party Menu!
Puff pastry is amazing in these recipes, too:
Last Updated on May 13, 2020
This recipe sounds delicious, but I’m allergic to mustard. Can I leave it out, or is there a substitute?
You can for sure leave it out – add pesto or a small amount of marinara/pizza sauce – or leave them plain.
You could even substitute ranch dressing for mustard, I bet.
Oh yum! What a great appetizer idea! And I’m already contemplating other options – salami and provolone is the first to come to mind. With the Super Bowl coming up soon, this is exactly the kind of recipe I was looking for!
i will never tire of puff pastry! add pepperoni and this just became my favorite appetizer 🙂
I can totally see why you would hide in the kitchen and eat these! I love how easy they are too!
Dorothy, these look amazing for GAME DAY!
OMG these look so delicious. I could make a meal of them!
Pinwheels are the perfect party appetizer or easy little finger snack! Love these!
I’m having a few girlfriends over this weekend, and this looks like a wonderful appetizer to serve!
I remember making something similar back in the day and it was SO delicious. So going to make this!
Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog