This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate Cream Pie with Cool Whip is the easiest way to make this classic chocolate pie! It’s cool, creamy, and so easy to make with just three ingredients for the filling. You don’t need to worry about this recipe – it’s foolproof and turns out perfectly every time.
Table of Contents
Easy Cool Whip Pie
Cool, creamy, rich – what’s not to love about a chocolate cream pie? It’s a decadent dessert, and I am pleased to share it’s an easy one, too!
I have a shortcut for you: Whipped topping, AKA Cool Whip. Unlike whipping your own cream for the filling, using a whipped topping makes this pie foolproof. It sets up perfectly every time, has that rich and creamy texture, and it’s so much easier to make.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- We’re talking three ingredients for the filling plus a cookie crust!
- This is a cool whip pie so it’s NO FAIL!
4 Ingredient Cool Whip Pie
- Cookie Pie Crust: use my peanut butter cookie pie crust or your favorite kind
- Chopped unsweetened chocolate: baking chocolate, from the baking aisle
- Sweetened condensed milk: the body of the pie
- Cool Whip – for the filling and the topping: makes this pie SO EASY
How to Make Chocolate Cream Pie with Cool Whip
- Melt: Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second increments. Stir it between each 30 seconds until it’s melted and smooth. Let it cool for five minutes.
- Mix: Pour the sweetened condensed milk into the bowl with the chocolate. Stir until smooth.
- Fold: Gently fold eight ounces of whipped topping into the chocolate mixture. To fold, take your spatula and run it under the ingredients and gently pull them up over themselves using a folding motion. You want to preserve as much air as possible in the topping, so your filling is light and airy.
- Fill: Spread the filling into the pie crust. Refrigerate the pie for at least two hours.
The easiest way to change up this pie is with the crust – there are quite options!
- The crust I love the most is my peanut butter cookie crust. It’s made with Nutter Butters, and the chocolate peanut butter combo is so good!
- You can also use an Oreo cookie crust for an extra chocolatey experience.
- Graham cracker works really well, too.
- You can’t beat a flaky, buttery pastry crust with this pie – it takes it over the top! (Except then it’s not no-bake.)
- If you want to make this with fresh whipped cream use this recipe.
- Even Cool Whip can fall if you over mix it so be sure to FOLD the chocolate mixture into the whipped topping.
- Substitutions: you can use any kind of whipped topping (low fat, sugar free, etc). You can also use semi-sweet chocolate if you don’t have unsweetened, it’ll just be a sweeter pie.
This recipe is so easy I usually make it in the morning and then leave the pie to chill in the fridge until I’m ready to serve it. You can also make it the night before – just wait to add the whipped topping and decorations until you’re ready to serve it.
The leftover pie will keep in the refrigerator for three to four days. Because the filling is made with Cool Whip, it’s more stable than one made with fresh whipped cream and will keep a little better. The filling will eventually start to break down, so it’s best to enjoy the leftovers within a few days.
Because it’s made with cool whip this pie can be frozen whole or as slices. It’s even delicious frozen!
Chocolate Cool Pie Recipe
- 1 peanut butter cookie pie crust (or your favorite pie crust)
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 1 can 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 12 ounces whipped topping Cool Whip, divided
- Melt chocolate in a large microwave safe bowl on 50% power in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until melted and smooth. Cool 5 minutes.
- Stir sweetened condensed milk into cooled chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Add 8-ounces (1 8-ounce container) whipped topping to the chocolate mixture and fold it carefully so as not to break the whipped topping.
- Spread chocolate mixture in prepared pie crust. Chill to set, at least 2 hours.
- Top with remaining whipped topping before serving. For garnish, dust with cocoa or shave some semi-sweet chocolate on top.
- Use any store bought pie crust
- Use any kind of Cool Whip or generic equivalent.
More Pie Recipes You Will Enjoy
This Chocolate Cream Pie is addicting! It’s a chocolate cream pie with Cool Whip with a peanut butter cookie crust.
Last Updated on November 18, 2022
Excellent. I served it for Easter and it was raved about. I did use an oreo crust
good idea I will be making this with the Oreo’s thanks