This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Crockpot Mushroom Chicken – this easy slow cooker chicken recipe is a quick and delicious way to get dinner on the table. Just dump a few ingredients into the crockpot and forget it until dinner – cream of mushroom chicken is one of our favorite easy meals!
Table of Contents
Easy Chicken in the Crockpot
Awhile back I was trying to think of something to make for dinner with the frozen chicken breasts on my counter. I always forget to take the chicken out to defrost early enough! It was about 2:00 so I knew I had time to throw them in the crockpot but I didn’t want to just throw some salsa on them like normal. Instead of defaulting to my normal crockpot chicken, I decided to shop my pantry to see what I could improvise. I found a can of condensed mushroom soup and remembered a pork chop and rice dish my mom use to make that I loved. If chicken can cook in the crockpot with salsa, I figured it could cook with a can of mushroom soup, right? And it CAN and it’s SO GOOD.
The first time I made this Crockpot Mushroom Chicken recipe, I just added the soup and a can of water to the crockpot with the frozen chicken and cooked it about 4 hours on high, then shredded it and served it over rice. It was delicious. Mel couldn’t stop eating it and commenting how good it was. It really reminded me of my mom’s pork chops and mushroom rice recipe (which someday I’ll have to share).
I know that cooking frozen chicken breasts in the crockpot is a controversial topic. I do it all the time and I’m still alive, but for safety sake the recipe is written for thawed chicken. If you’re lazy or forgetful like me, you can cook it from frozen at your own risk.
I knew immediately this was going to become a blog recipe, so I made a few tweaks and it became even better. This is one of those meals I dream about because the flavors are so good. I know you’re going to love it as much as we do.
How to make Cream of Mushroom Chicken
- Instead of mixing the soup with 1 can of water (as noted in the directions on the can), I used chicken stock. This added a ton of extra flavor.
- I added salt, pepper, and herbs to the mixture as well. If you worry about salt, you can omit and add it after, if you prefer. I also used a low sodium soup.
- I threw in some sliced mushrooms with the chicken to add some texture to the recipe.
- At the end of cooking I added some cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
The result? One of the best easy crockpot chicken recipes we’ve ever eaten!
Crockpot Mushroom Chicken is one of those easy chicken recipes you’re family will love and you’ll find yourself making again and again.
Crockpot Cream of Mushroom Chicken Recipe
- 1 can 10.5 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 10.5 ounces 1 can full Chicken Stock or water
- 1 teaspoon salt1
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts thawed2
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Spray a 5-7 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add soup to the crockpot insert, then fill the soup can with chicken stock or water and add it to the crockpot. Add the spices, then stir to combine. Place the chicken in the soup mixture and top with mushrooms.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low 4-6 hours, or just until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from the crockpot and let sit for a few minutes. While you’re waiting for the chicken to rest, stir together cornstarch and water and stir it into the crockpot mixture. Cover.
- Shred the chicken and return it to the sauce in the crockpot. Set to warm until ready to eat or eat immediately.
- Serving suggestions: rice and vegetables.
Last Updated on September 15, 2023