Mochadoodles are Chocolate Mocha Snickerdoodles! These have chocolate, instant espresso and cinnamon and a soft and chewy and are the perfect snickerdoodle cookie variation!
Table of Contents
What is a Mochadoodle?
These cookies are my favorite snickerdoodle recipe turned into mocha flavor!
You’ll love these cookies because:
- They’re chocolate snickerdoodles
- With espresso powder to make the chocolate even richer
- Soft and chewy with the telltale snickerdoodle taste
- Are a sneak peek into my cookbook!
That’s right: Chocolate Mocha Snickerdooles – what I’m calling a Mochadoodle – is in the Crazy Cookies chapter of my upcoming cookbook and today we’re taking a sneak peek inside.
Crazy for Cookies Cookbook
My cookbook comes out in February 2022 and over the next few months I’m going to share some sneak peeks inside! Why you’ll love the book:
- 85 cookie, brownie and bar recipes
- Recipes include classics, crazier cookies, no bake, and more!
- EVERY recipe has a photo!
- Hardcover book
- There are some bonus recipes like apple butter, meringue, and lemon curd!
- Tips and tricks for every recipe plus my BEST how to make perfect cookies secret hacks.
Ingredients in Chocolate Snickerdoodles
Butter: Use unsalted butter that’s been softened.
Sugar: Granulated sugar is classic for snickerdoodles.
Egg: Necessary for structure and the fat from the yolk adds richness.
Cream of Tartar: The key to the flavor of a snickerdoodle is the cream of tartar. Don’t omit this key ingredient! I also use it in my cut out sugar cookie recipe to get the perfect texture. Cream of tartar can be found in the spice section of your grocery store. It’s a white powder that looks like cornstarch.
Baking Soda: Combined with the cream of tartar these are soft and chewy snickerdoodles.
Cocoa: For the chocolate of these Chocolate Mocha Snickerdoodles, I used regular unsweetened cocoa powder. You can also use special dark (but don’t use dutch process).
Instant Espresso: And finally, the mocha. To get that hint of coffee flavor I added instant espresso. If you can’t find instant espresso, use instant coffee.
Vanilla and Salt: For Flavor.
All-Purpose Flour: Be sure to measure it correctly.
How to make Snickerdoodles with Mocha
- Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Mix in the egg, baking soda, vanilla, cream of tartar, cocoa, espresso and salt.
- Scoop cookie dough – you can use a 1 or 2 tablespoon cookie scoop.
- Roll dough in cinnamon sugar.
- Bake on lined cookie sheets.
- These don’t need any chilling so they’re done super fast.
- Make these small bite size cookies using a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop.
- Add ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper to make them a bit spicy like a Mexican Hot Chocolate!
- Get more amazing cookies in my upcoming cookbook!
Store these in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Yes freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
For this recipe be sure to use regular unsweetened or special dark unsweetened. Those are both found in the baking aisle.
Not for these cookies – the baking soda will affect the chemical reaction Dutch Process cocoa has.
Use instant coffee in place of the espresso.
Other Cookie Recipes
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Chocolate Mocha Snickerdoodles
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter softened
- ¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (20g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups (186g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and granulated sugar using a stand or a hand mixer until fluffy. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract, then mix in the baking soda, cream of tartar, cocoa, espresso powder, and salt. Slowly mix in the flour until the dough is combined.
- Bake for 10 to 13 minutes or until they are cracked on the tops and just lose their glossy sheen. Err on the side of underbaked for best results.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to one month.
- Use a 1 tablespoon scoop for smaller cookies.
- Add 1 ½ cups chocolate chips for even more chocolate flavor.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
Mochadoodles are an easy chocolate snickerdoodle recipe with espresso! These cookies are soft and chewy from the Crazy for Cookies, Brownies, and Bars cookbook.
Last Updated on September 16, 2021
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: September 16, 2021