This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Avocado Cilantro Crema is a simple sauce recipe that can be used in so many ways. It’s creamy and bursting with flavor – the perfect topping for tacos, enchiladas, nachos, vegetables, or use it to make salads!
Table of Contents
We’re going fresh and easy today with this avocado crema recipe! This simple sauce is loaded with fresh flavors from lime juice and cilantro with the best creamy texture from avocados. If you love guacamole, I think you’ll love this avocado crema!
What is Avocado Crema?
This easy sauce recipe combines avocado, sour cream, fresh herbs, lime, and seasonings. It’s super easy to make with a food processor.
It’s the best sauce to serve with all of your favorite Mexican dishes, or use it as a sauce for grilled meat, burgers, vegetables, or you can serve it as a dip. It also makes a great salad dressing. It’s so versatile.
Ingredients in avocado cilantro crema
- Garlic cloves
- Kosher salt
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- Ground black pepper
How to Make Avocado Crema
1. Place the garlic and salt in a food processor and blend until they are finely chopped.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until the mixture is smooth.
3. Give the avocado crema a taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Refrigerate it in an airtight container until you’re ready to serve it.
How to Use Crema
There are so many ways to use this avocado cilantro crema – basically, any way you’d use salsa is a good way to use it!
- Dip: Grab the tortilla chips and serve it as an appetizer or snack.
- Salad dressing: You can thin it with a little more lime juice and use it on all of your favorite salads. We love to use it to make taco salad!
- Sauce: The flavors and texture make this an excellent sauce for chicken, fish, pork, and even steak. Drizzle it over the top to add a pop of flavor.
- Taco, enchilada, and nachos topping: Instead of salsa, try drizzling this avocado lime crema over your favorite tacos, enchiladas, and nachos!
- Burgers: It makes a fantastic topping for burgers, too.
- Vegetables: If you make roasted or grilled vegetables, try tossing them in this avocado crema sauce before serving them. So much deliciousness!
Avocado cilantro crema will keep in the refrigerator for three days.
For best results, cover the container with plastic wrap, so it touches the surface of the sauce. This will prevent the avocado from browning too much.
The flavors get even better once it’s chilled, so I like to make it a little in advance before serving it.
- You can swap the sour cream for plain Greek yogurt if that’s what you have on hand.
- Not sure if your avocado is ripe? Gently press it – it should have a little give. If it doesn’t, it’s not ready to use yet.
- The easiest way to peel an avocado is to slice it in half lengthwise. Remove the pit and then use a spoon to scoop the flesh out of the peel.
- If you don’t have a food processor, you can still make avocado crema, but it will take a little more work. Use a sharp knife to chop the garlic finely. You can use the knife to press and smash the chopped garlic until it forms a paste. Then, mash it with the avocado and other ingredients until smooth.
- Not a fan of cilantro? You can use the same amount of fresh parsley instead.
- I don’t recommend freezing avocado crema sauce – it won’t keep well.
More Popular Homemade Sauces
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Avocado Cilantro Crema Recipe
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (115g) sour cream
- 1 ripe avocado pitted and peeled (153g)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of ½ lime
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a small food processor add the garlic and salt and process until finely chopped. Add the sour cream, avocado, cilantro, lime juice and a few grinds of pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Taste to adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if desired.
- Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Give this avocado lime crema a try, and it will give your dishes that extra pop of flavor to take them over the top. It’s so good I make it often just so I have some in the fridge ready to use. I know you will love it, too!