This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Avocado Cilantro Crema is a simple cilantro dressing recipe that can be used in so many ways. It’s creamy and bursting with flavor – the perfect topping for tacos, enchiladas, nachos, vegetables, or use it to make salads!
Table of Contents
What is Avocado Crema?
We’re going fresh and easy today with this avocado crema recipe! This simple sauce is loaded with fresh flavors from lime juice and cilantro with the best creamy texture from avocados. It’s super simple to make with a food processor.
It’s the best sauce to serve with all of your favorite dishes: use it as a sauce for grilled meat, burgers, vegetables, or you can serve it as a dip. It also makes a great salad dressing. It’s so versatile!
Ingredients in avocado crema
- Garlic cloves – fresh garlic is best!
- Sour cream – Use any fat content you like best
- Avocado – avocados are ripe when they’re slightly soft and the stem pulls off without any coaxing.
- Fresh cilantro – Be sure to get fresh! These herbs are often confused with Italian Parsley at the store – so smell it. Cilantro has a wonderful smell that’s easily identifiable.
- Lime juice – Fresh is best!
How to Make Cilantro Crema
- Place the garlic and salt in a food processor and blend until they are finely chopped.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until the mixture is smooth.
- Give the avocado crema a taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Refrigerate it in an airtight container until you’re ready to serve it.
Tip From Dorothy
- You can swap the sour cream for plain Greek yogurt if that’s what you have on hand.
- Not sure if your avocado is ripe? Gently press it – it should have a little give. If it doesn’t, it’s not ready to use yet.
- The easiest way to peel an avocado is to slice it in half lengthwise. Remove the pit and then use a spoon to scoop the flesh out of the peel.
- If you don’t have a food processor, you can still make avocado crema, but it will take a little more work. Use a sharp knife to chop the garlic finely. You can use the knife to press and smash the chopped garlic until it forms a paste. Then, mash it with the avocado and other ingredients until smooth.
- Not a fan of cilantro? You can use the same amount of fresh parsley instead.
- I don’t recommend freezing avocado crema sauce – it won’t keep well.
Avocado Cilantro Crema Recipe
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (115g) sour cream
- 1 ripe avocado pitted and peeled (153g)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of ½ lime
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a small food processor add the garlic and salt and process until finely chopped. Add the sour cream, avocado, cilantro, lime juice and a few grinds of pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Taste to adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if desired.
- Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Give this avocado lime crema a try, and it will give your dishes that extra pop of flavor to take them over the top. It’s so good I make it often just so I have some in the fridge ready to use. I know you will love it, too!
Last Updated on May 8, 2023