This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
My Chocolate Muffins have just three ingredients, are so easy to make, and taste amazing! Rich chocolate muffins with a hint of pumpkin and lots of chocolate chips are perfect for snacks and breakfast.
They’re so good they even pass the kid test!
These Pumpkin Brownie Muffins have only 3 ingredients and taste like the most chocolatey breakfast you’ll ever try.
I think my most favorite thing about these chocolate muffins is that they are the perfect excuse to have chocolate for breakfast. I mean, is there anything better?
They are so easy – three ingredients easy – and taste like the most chocolaty breakfast you’ll ever try. It’s probably not a secret what the three ingredients are – the title pretty much gives it away. Chocolate, pumpkin, and cake mix. That’s it!
Table of Contents
Healthy Muffins That Taste Like Brownies
I actually had a hard time coming up with the name because they are muffins that taste like brownies, but brownie pumpkin muffins just didn’t seem right. So, we’re going with chocolate muffins but just know this: they are not your average chocolate muffin! They are so much better.
So, call them what you like – brownie muffins, chocolate muffins, chocolate chip pumpkin muffins… whatever you decide I know you’re going to love them.
They don’t really taste like pumpkin – the pumpkin just helps make them healthier because you don’t use the eggs, oil, and milk. These are dairy-free chocolate muffins AND vegan muffins if you use proper chocolate chips.
3 Ingredient Chocolate Muffins
So, they may not look like it but these are actually healthier chocolate muffins because you don’t add things like oil, eggs, or milk. Pumpkin puree takes the place of those ingredients and so they’re a lot lighter than a regular muffin.
Here’s what you need to make them:
- Chocolate Cake Mix
- Pumpkin Puree
- Chocolate Chips – which are optional
If you’re worried, let me reassure you – you cannot taste the pumpkin at all. They’ve passed multiple kid tests with flying colors and my daughter, who can detect a healthy swap a mile away, couldn’t tell they were made with pumpkin. She loves them even after I spilled the beans about the secret ingredient.
These easy muffins are rich, dense and so chocolaty.
Tips for making easy muffins
- You only need one bowl and a spoon to make the batter. No fancy equipment required for this recipe.
- Be sure to grease your muffin pans well. If you use muffin liners, you should spray the insides with cooking spray otherwise the muffins have a tendency to stick.
- I love these chocolate pumpkin muffins warm with all the ooey-gooey melted chocolate. Don’t skip the extra chocolate chips on top of the muffins – they just add more chocolate goodness.
- If you want to give them a fall-twist add 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice to the batter.
They are Freezer-Friendly!
Store them in an airtight container and they’ll keep well for a few days at room temperature. Or, freeze them and they’ll keep for a few months!
You are going to want to make these easy chocolate pumpkin muffins! In fact, you might want to make a double batch because they won’t last long – they are just too good!
Other Favorite Muffins
Be sure to check out all my muffin recipes, and if you love these try Healthy Pumpkin Muffins by Bless This Mess, Apple Maple Muffins by Texanerin, or Nutella Banana Muffins by The BakerMama.
3 ingredient Chocolate Muffins with Pumpkin
- 1 box approximately 18 ounces chocolate cake mix
- 1 can 15 ounces pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 cup chocolate chips plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan with liners and spray well with nonstick cooking spray, or skip the liners and grease the muffin pans well.
- Stir cake mix and pumpkin in a large bowl until combined. Mixture will be thick. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin liners 2/3 full with batter. Sprinkle each muffin with more chocolate chips (optional). Bake for 12-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs. Cool at least 5 minutes before eating.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze for up to one month.
Click here to see my best Cake Mix recipes!
Three Ingredient Chocolate Muffins are SO easy to make and healthier – plus they taste amazing and pass the kid test.
Last Updated on September 2, 2020
These are great. We made it into a loaf using a 9 x 5 loaf pan. It took 48 minutes to bake.
These are so awesome!
The cupcakes are delicious BUT we did the math. No way these cupcakes are only 76 calories. the chocolate cake mix is 1600 calories; the pumpkin is 140 calories; the chocolate chips are 1120 calories. For 12 cupcakes this comes out to 238 calories per cupcake. Not even close to 76! For someone who was looking for something delicious AND lower in calories (hence the use of pumpkin in the recipe), these don’t fit the bill.
I just made these muffins. I had only a box of yellow cake mix, so I added 1/4 c. cocoa powder to the batter. I added chopped walnuts and sprinkled the tops with chocolate chips. I had six cans of pumpkin that needed to be used, so this recipe was perfect. The muffins are quick and easy.
i added PB chips to these and wow, just wow!
So easy and delicious! I used dark chocolate cake mix. Rich chocolate flavor and very moist. I’ve made with chocolate chips and also white chocolate chips. Loved by adults and children.
These are so easy and so tasty!
I’m so excited it is time for pumpkin again. These are amazing
Can you use pumpkin pie mix not puree
No, I don’t think so.
Is 76kcal the same as 76 calories?
These sound great! Can you substitute a brownie mix for the cake mix? If so would I need to add a leavening agent or an egg? Thank you!
I haven’t tried using brownie mix but I don’t see why not