Jul 15

Maple Bacon Crunch Ice Cream

If you don’t love bacon, I’m so sorry. Because this ice cream is all about the bacon.

And the maple. And the toffee crunch.

For my second installment of Ice Cream Week, I made Maple Bacon Cunch Ice Cream – without a machine.

I think it’s my most favorite ice cream – ever.

Maple Bacon Crunch Ice Cream without a machine! Maple ice cream, bacon, and toffee bits!

A few weeks ago we went to Palm Springs. Because it’s about a 9 hour drive from Sacramento and driving that long in the car with a 9 year old who asks “are we there yet” every five minutes makes me want to poke my eardrums out, we stopped for a night in Manhattan Beach.

Manhattan Beach is in ocean front Los Angeles. It’s got your usual: a pier, gorgeous beach, funky restaurants and shops, and an ice cream store. A truly happening ice cream store, as it turns out. The Manhattan Beach Creamery was so busy, probably because it was a bajillion degrees and they don’t just sell ice cream. They sell ice cream sandwiches (you pick the cookies and ice cream), candy, and they’ve been on Cupcake Wars.

Do you watch Cupcake Wars? I’m obsessed with it. Jordan is too. We have a season pass set to tape all new episodes. Lots of flavor combos I get come from that show. As soon as I saw logo stating they’d been on the show, I told my family we were going in for ice cream.

Jordan was predictable: Mint Chip, but she was mad it was white.

Mel was predicatble: non-fat fro-yo with no toppings.

I got Maple Bacon Crunch Ice Cream. I love bacon in dessert, but I’d never had it in ice cream before. I’m so glad I got that ice cream. It was really good, but I thought it was lacking in maple flavor. It tasted like bacon crunch vanilla to me. And when I order something maple, I want it to scream MAPLE.

So I came home and made my own version.

Maple Bacon Crunch Ice Cream without a machine!

I used the easy ice cream method (again) for this recipe. Sweetened condensed milk and Cool Whip (or heavy whipping cream) get mixed to create a creamy ice cream without using an ice cream machine.

This version has maple extract to give it the maple punch. I know, there’s no real maple in this. In my defense, maple syrup doesn’t give the maple flavor I’m looking for. I want MAPLE remember, not maple. Extract achieves that goal.

We normally eat turkey bacon, but I used regular bacon for this. I cooked the bacon until it was crisp, but not burnt. You want the bacon crisp so it doesn’t get soggy in the ice cream. Be sure to drain it well before you crumble it.

To add a crunch to the ice cream reminiscent of the version from the Manhattan Beach Creamery, I added toffee bits. You can find these in the baking aisle with the chocolate chips. I used the kind without chocolate, but you could totally use the kind with it. Or, chop up some Skor bars.

Because we all know that toffee and maple go with bacon, but we also know that chocolate goes with bacon. It goes so well, I made pull-apart bread out of it awhile back.

That’s why I drizzled homemade chocolate sauce over my ice cream. It’s like an explosion of flavors all in one place!

Maple Bacon Crunch Ice Cream without a machine!

I’m not joking – this is one of my favorite ice cream flavors ever. And I’ve eaten and made a lot of ice cream. So I should know. :)

Check out my ice cream week recipes, and don’t forget to go check out Ashton’s Ice Cream Recipes this week for ice cream week!

For more ice cream recipes check out my Ice Cream Pinboard!

Maple Bacon Crunch Ice Cream

Yield: About 1 Quart

Maple Bacon Crunch Ice Cream

Maple ice cream filled with crispy bacon bits and toffee crunch pieces, all made without a machine!

• 10 slices bacon
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (I like to use the fat-free kind)
  • 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
  • 1/2 cup toffee bits
  • 2 (8 ounce) containers Cool Whip (regular, light, or fat-free), see note

1. Cook the bacon until crisp but not burnt. Drain and cool on paper towels. Crumble.
  2. Place the sweetened condensed milk in a large bowl. Stir in the maple extract and toffee bits. Fold in the Cool Whip and the crumbled bacon.
  3. Place ice cream mixture in an airtight container. (You can use both of the Cool Whip containers, it will fit.) Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
  4. Serve with chocolate sauce for an even better flavor!

Notes

If you don't want to use Cool Whip, you can substitute fresh whipped cream. Beat 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form and add it instead of the Cool Whip before freezing.

Maple Bacon Cinnamon Rolls

Bacon Maple Cinnamon Rolls 1 words

Chocolate Bacon Pull-Apart Bread

Chocolate Bacon Pull-Apart Bread (3 of 8)w

Coffee Nutella Swirl Ice Cream

coffee-nutella-swirl-ice-cream (5 of 5)w

Bacon Maple Donuts by Baked by Rachel
Maple Bacon Cookies by Shugary Sweets
Glazed Maple Bacon by Wonky Wonderful

39 Responses to “Maple Bacon Crunch Ice Cream”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on July 15, 2014 at 3:35 am (#)

I don’t eat bacon but I AM very very impressed that you have a week’s worth of ice cream posts. And what a delicious week or recipe-making it must have been at your house :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 15th, 2014 at 6:37 am

That and weight gaining!! :) Thanks Averie, it means a lot that you comment even though I know you don’t eat bacon! <3

2. Mir posted on July 15, 2014 at 4:01 am (#)

Why don’t I live in California?! I just want to go make my own ice cream sandwich now at that creamery.
    Ice cream week might be my favorite so far. Keep them coming!

3. Rina~I Thee Cook posted on July 15, 2014 at 5:02 am (#)

It’s 8 am and I am drooling over this. Love the flavor combo’s.

4. Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice posted on July 15, 2014 at 5:31 am (#)

I am speechless, Dorothy! What an AMAZING flavor combination! We all know that bacon is all the rage, so I’m loving that you created this ice cream. My brother-in-law is a bacon fanatic, so I’m definitely pinning this for him.

5. Danielle @ Chits and Chats and Chocolate posted on July 15, 2014 at 5:39 am (#)

I am not a huge bacon lover either, but this looks fantastic. The fam. is bacon-crazy, so they’ll go nuts over this!

6. Tieghan posted on July 15, 2014 at 5:48 am (#)

Oh my gosh, this flavor combo and in ice cream?!?! It’s a winner!

7. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on July 15, 2014 at 6:25 am (#)

OMG I bet this is good!!! I freaking love maple bacon together in sweets!!

8. Kathy posted on July 15, 2014 at 6:57 am (#)

Wow! What a great flavor combo! I need to try this soon!

9. Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) posted on July 15, 2014 at 7:06 am (#)

OMG this ice cream has officially stolen my heart!

10. Christine at Cook the Story posted on July 15, 2014 at 7:15 am (#)

This is some serious deliciousness!

11. Matt Robinson posted on July 15, 2014 at 9:16 am (#)

What an awesome idea with the bacon, seriously great ice cream!!!

13. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking posted on July 15, 2014 at 12:36 pm (#)

I love Cupcake Wars too!! I used to watch episodes on Hulu during college as study breaks. That’s so awesome you were able to visit a store that had been on there! And as much as I love chocolate ice cream, I probably would’ve branched out to try an eclectic flavor too. Love how you made your version even better!! :) And we actually have a store here in Davis that allows you to create your own customized ice cream cookie sandwiches too! It’s called Cream. You and Jordan should definitely come down sometime before I move so we can have an ice cream date!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 15th, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Yes!! That would be so awesome!

• Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking replied on July 15th, 2014 at 6:27 pm

It’s a date! Probably sometime in August? Before school starts again for Jordan? Unless you want to stop by on your way down to visit family in the Bay Area, of course! :) Seriously SO excited for this!!

14. Alice // Hip Foodie Mom posted on July 15, 2014 at 5:10 pm (#)

oh my gawd. I love you, Dorothy. And totally know The Manhattan Beach Creamery . . I used to live in Manhattan Beach, way back when. . anyway, I was there recently and ate at MB Post (you need to eat there!) and then we stopped at The Manhattan Beach Creamery for dessert afterwards. such a magical place with candy EVERYWHERE not to mention the cupcakes (which you mentioned) and the ice cream. All ice cream places should be like this. . a happy place. . I was literally like a kid in a candy store and I freaking LOVE this ice cream. Everything should always be topped with bacon. Always.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 15th, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I love MB! I hope we can go back and actually explore it a little. We’d been in the car all day so more than the beach wasn’t happening. Thanks Alice!

15. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking posted on July 15, 2014 at 6:59 pm (#)

Girl, you know I LIVE for Cupcake Wars! I have a list on my phone of past winner in different cities so that Hubs and I can try them (I mean judge them) when we are there. It’s borderline psychotic. Anywho…..
    This ice cream looks out of this world amazing! Maple. Bacon. Crunchiness! Eeeeeeeee! Get out of here!

16. Adeline posted on July 15, 2014 at 7:18 pm (#)

WOW…I have got to try this version of ice cream….geez doesn’t get much easier than that ! Oh my gosh maple bacon ice cream…I can almost taste it now…yummy. If I put bacon on anything my g’kids will eat it .
    I just love this site & your blog is down to earth and dang funny…..keep it up !

17. Amy @Very Culinary posted on July 15, 2014 at 8:19 pm (#)

I would violate that bowl of ice cream. TMI?

18. Sheila @ Sweet Baked Life posted on July 15, 2014 at 8:33 pm (#)

OMG — I love bacon, but I have never had it in ice cream. This sounds absolutely scrumptious! Could go for a big scoop right now!

19. Laurie F. posted on July 15, 2014 at 8:36 pm (#)

Maybe you should start a travel/restaurant blog, too! You are great at finding cool places!

20. Kelly - Life made Sweeter posted on July 15, 2014 at 8:44 pm (#)

Holy moly, maple syrup and bacon in ice cream sounds like the best thing ever! Love this sweet and salty combo and totally wishing I had a big bowl of this!

21. Jessica @ Sweet Menu posted on July 15, 2014 at 9:02 pm (#)

Hehe WOW – awesome flavour combo :)

22. tahnycooks posted on July 15, 2014 at 9:31 pm (#)

bacon and sweetened condensed milk together in a recipe?!!! I am so on this recipe!

23. Heather @ French Press posted on July 15, 2014 at 9:37 pm (#)

come to momma! what an ice cream combo, and your trip looked beyond fabulous, looking forward to seeing you in Oregon

24. Michele @ Alwayzbakin posted on July 16, 2014 at 2:26 am (#)

THAT sound fabulous! LOVE ice cream so much. Cannot wait to try out this recipe. EVERYTHING must be better when you add bacon.

25. Mom posted on July 16, 2014 at 1:19 pm (#)

Wow, this sounds wonderful. I don’t suppose this would travel well so you could bring me some??? lol

26. Mer posted on July 17, 2014 at 10:14 am (#)

How hard was it to find maple flavoring? I want to make this for a work brunch surprise tomorrow, but I’m worried about driving all over the place in search of it and tempted to just stir some candied bacon and maple syrup into store bought butter pecan ice cream.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 17th, 2014 at 1:39 pm

I buy mine at the grocery store or Walmart. McCormick has an Imitation Maple Extract and Walmart has the McCormick plus another brand that’s cheaper. If you have a decent sized grocery store that has a baking aisle with all sorts of spices and extracts, they should have it! I tried to check on the McCormick website but I don’t think they have a locater. Here is the link: http://www.mccormick.com/Spices-and-Flavors/Extracts-and-Food-Colors/Extracts/Imitation-Maple-Flavor

• Mer replied on July 18th, 2014 at 8:15 am

Thanks! I found it right away and, while I don’t eat bacon or anything maple flavored adding this do some pecan french toast at my work brunch BLEW EVERYONE AWAY! I decided to candy the pieces of bacon (dredged them through some smoky pork seasoning and brown sugar and baked on a rack and the crunch really took it up a notch. thanks so much for the recipe!!

27. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on July 17, 2014 at 11:00 pm (#)

Words cannot describe how badly I want to try this!

28. Ashton posted on July 18, 2014 at 5:09 am (#)

Just omg. I had to come back and comment on this one because I’ve been dying over it all week! I swear it’s stalking me on Pinterest. Which means the universe wants me to make it right?

Thanks for doing Ice Cream week with me! It’s been so much fun!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 18th, 2014 at 6:22 am

Thank YOU! It’s been super fun. Let’s do it again – soon! xo

29. Dorcas@feelgoodfoodblog posted on July 27, 2014 at 11:01 am (#)

Can you say: Love at first sight?❤️ I am a total ice cream fiend and this, my dear, is one I must try.
    Thank you Thank you!