Jul 16

Easy Peanut Butter Brownie Ice Cream

Today is a super special day! It’s a day that requires peanut butter ice cream that’s filled with chunks of fudgy brownie.

Honestly, every day is special enough for this Peanut Butter Brownie Ice Cream, I know. But today is really extra important.

Easy Peanut Butter Brownie Ice Cream - full of peanut butter and chocolate flavor!

It’s my husband’s birthday!

Birthdays aren’t really important to him. He’d probably rather I just forget that it’s a day. He actually told me not to get him presents. I know, right?

Birthdays, however, are very important to me. They’ve always been huge deals in my family. So I bring my big hullabaloo to him, and he just grins and bears it.

So, {tap tap tap} everyone ready?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEL!

So, for his birthday I made him ice cream. Actually, I’m lying. I made this ice cream a few weeks ago, when I had a pan of brownies left after testing my Brownie Mix recipe. He’s getting something else for his birthday today. But in my dreams, he’s eating this.

{I actually made him promise to eat at least one bite of his birthday dessert. He said of course he would, but I’m thinking I need that written in blood.}

Anyway, this Easy Peanut Butter Brownie Ice Cream would be right up his alley. He loves all things peanut butter and can rarely resist when I make peanut butter treats. {But he does resist, which makes me want to smack him.}

Really, there’s not a lot I can say about this ice cream other than it’s the most amazing thing everrrrrr.

It’s easy ice cream, made without a machine. This is my third post about easy ice cream this week, so I’m hoping you know what it is already. If not, let me run it down. Easy ice cream is made with sweetened condensed milk and either fresh whipped cream and Cool Whip.

If you’ve read all three posts this week, you’ll know this is made with Cool Whip. I made sure to use fat-free Cool Whip for this, along with my favorite fat-free sweetened condensed milk, so that if by chance Mel did take a bite, it would be lower in calorie.

But if you hate Cool Whip, you can use freshly whipped cream. Just see the note in the directions.

Okay, so now you know about easy ice cream. This version has peanut butter mixed in. Are you drooling yet?

Then, let’s talk brownies.

Last week I posted Homemade Brownie Mix. Have you made it yet? Why not? It’s the easiest thing ever, and it makes making brownies for this ice cream a snap.

Once the brownies are cool, you chop up a bunch of them and stir it into the ice cream mixture, then freeze. The result?

Mind blowing, drool inspiring, machine-free ice cream.

Serve it in a cone, a cup, or on top of a brownie with homemade chocolate sauce.

This would be an amazing birthday treat. Or a Wednesday treat. You celebrate Wednesday, right?

Me too.

Check out my ice cream week recipes, and don’t forget to go check out Ashton’s Ice Cream Recipes this week for ice cream week!

For more ice cream recipes check out my Ice Cream Pinboard!

Easy Peanut Butter Brownie Ice Cream

• 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (I like to use the fat-free kind)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter (I like Skippy Naturals)
  • 2 (8 ounce) containers Cool Whip (regular, light, or fat-free), see note
  • 3 cups baked and cooled brownies, cubed (about 3/4 of a 9x9 pan of this brownie mix recipe)

1. Place the sweetened condensed milk in a large bowl. Use a hand mixer to mix in the vanilla extract and peanut butter. Fold in the Cool Whip and the brownie chunks.
  2. Place ice cream mixture in an airtight container. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
  3. Serve alone, or as a brownie sundae!

Notes

If you don't want to use Cool Whip, you can substitute fresh whipped cream. Beat 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form and add it instead of the Cool Whip before freezing.

The BEST Brownie Mix

Best Brownie Mix (2 of 5)w

Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies

Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies (1 of 4)w

Peanut Butter Cheesecake Ice Cream

peanut-butter-cheesecake-ice-cream (3 of 5)w

Deep Dish Peanut Butter Cookie Sundaes (with PB Ice Cream and chocolate sauce!)

pb cookie sundaes 2 words

Reese’s Peanut Butter Ice Cream by Recipe Girl
2 Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream by Two Peas and Their Pod
Peanut Butter Ice Cream Topping by In Katrina’s Kitchen

47 Responses to “Easy Peanut Butter Brownie Ice Cream”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on July 16, 2014 at 3:05 am (#)

Happy Bday, Mel! Now this is the kind of ice cream I’d want on my bday! PB, brownies, drippy hot fudge, you outdid yourself, Dorothy!

2. Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness posted on July 16, 2014 at 3:24 am (#)

Birthdays are bug deals always! And it looks like you definitely are celebrating in yum-style with this beauty! PB and brownies and easy? Gimme!
    Happy Birthday Mel! Pinning :)

3. Mir posted on July 16, 2014 at 3:48 am (#)

Happy birthday to your husband! He is so lucky to have you to bake him PB desserts!
    Speaking of, this is my favorite flavor so far!

4. Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron posted on July 16, 2014 at 4:30 am (#)

I love that you are doing ice cream week! And this looks like my favorite so far! Although your funfetti sandwiches are a close second. But brownies and peanut butter is my very favorite. I love how much brownie to ice cream ratio there is – looks perfect! Pinned :)

5. Medeja posted on July 16, 2014 at 4:36 am (#)

This ice cream looks just.. to die for :) Irresistible!

6. Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice posted on July 16, 2014 at 4:43 am (#)

Happy birthday to your husband! I’m loving all these ice cream recipes, Dorothy! So hard to choose a favorite, but I would have to say that this one is winning. Love the peanut butter and brownies together! Yum!

7. Danielle @ Chits and Chats and Chocolate posted on July 16, 2014 at 5:45 am (#)

You got me hooked at peanut butter. I can’t wait to try this!

8. Erin | The Law Student's Wife posted on July 16, 2014 at 6:00 am (#)

Happy Birthday to the hubs!!!!

9. Jessica l A Kitchen Addiction posted on July 16, 2014 at 6:10 am (#)

Your husband sounds just like mine when it comes to birthdays (and desserts!)! Happy Birthday to him!

10. Ashley posted on July 16, 2014 at 7:04 am (#)

This sounds beyond amazing! And easy to make!

~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

11. Ashton posted on July 16, 2014 at 7:53 am (#)

I definitely celebrate Wednesday, and this totally needs to be a part of the party! JUST OMG!!!! I seriousy can’t stop drooling. This is just too perfect! And if Mel can resist, he’s nuts!!!

PS- HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEL!!! :)

12. Matt Robinson posted on July 16, 2014 at 8:43 am (#)

What a lucky guy, this looks incredible!!!!

13. Alyssa {Cake, Crust, and Sugar Dust} posted on July 16, 2014 at 8:51 am (#)

I’m a total birthday enthusiast as well! Ok has your house seriously been like a ben and jerry’s test kitchen lately? So many awesome ice cream flavors coming my way I don’t know what one to make first! I’m a huge fan of easy ice cream…feel free to keep em coming, Dorothy!

14. Wendy posted on July 16, 2014 at 10:05 am (#)

In the unlikely event that any brownies are ever “left over” in this house, this ice cream is what am making with them!! Each time I think you have come up with the best possible ice cream concoction, Dorothy, you come up with an even better one! This looks so good, I will have to make 2 batches of brownies and hide one to make this with!

15. Michelle @My California Kitchen posted on July 16, 2014 at 10:57 am (#)

Oh my goodness, this looks so good. Hope I can restrain myself from eating the whole pan next time I make brownies.

16. Beth @ bethcakes posted on July 16, 2014 at 11:08 am (#)

This ice cream sounds fantastic! I love that you don’t even need an ice cream maker for it! I think I would definitely have to have this in the brownie sundae form. :)

17. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking posted on July 16, 2014 at 1:02 pm (#)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEL!!! I hope you have a wonderful day, even if you do have to unwrap presents and listen to Dorothy and Jordan sing the birthday song and make you blow out candles (don’t forget to wish!) on the birthday dessert you probably only want a single bite of. ;) All joking aside, I hope you have a fun time with your family! And Dorothy, I’ll gladly take Mel’s share of anything he doesn’t want — especially if it has chocolate or PB. This ice cream looks amazing!! Like, I want to skip lunch at eat 3 bowls of it. Yum! (And I LOVE the ice cream scoop shot!!)

18. Mary Frances posted on July 16, 2014 at 1:08 pm (#)

Happy birthday to Mel! Seriously, you should eat this if you know what is good for you ;)
    Wait, are there really people who hate Cool Whip? Dorothy, you need to set them straight! :) And this peanut butter brownie ice cream is the way to do it. It looks to die for. So.so.good. Pinned!

19. marcie posted on July 16, 2014 at 1:10 pm (#)

My husband could care less about his birthday too — I can’t stand that! Birthday desserts count as presents don’t they (whether you made them weeks ago or not) haha. This ice cream looks amazing, and I love that it’s a no-churn because you get to eat it even faster that way. :)

20. Lauren at Keep It Sweet posted on July 16, 2014 at 1:20 pm (#)

I hope Mel has a great birthday (even if he wants to ignore it)! As a fellow peanut butter lover I think he has excellent taste:-)

21. Denise | Sweet Peas & Saffron posted on July 16, 2014 at 2:17 pm (#)

This pretty much looks like the most amazing ice cream EVER. I guess I have no excuse {not having an ice cream maker} now. Hope your husband takes a really nice big bite of this, I am a little jealous of him ;)

22. Danielle posted on July 16, 2014 at 4:10 pm (#)

This looks so delicious! I love chocolate and peanut butter, adding them to ice cream just makes them that much better. I love your easy ice cream recipe too, I’m trying it out the next chance I get!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 16th, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Enjoy Danielle! It’s a great base recipe!

23. Heather @ French Press posted on July 16, 2014 at 4:36 pm (#)

Happy Birthday Mel! and seriously I need just one ounce of his resolve not to eat dessert, I don’t know how he does it.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 16th, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Neither do I! I wish I had his willpower.

24. Laurie F. posted on July 16, 2014 at 4:51 pm (#)

Happy birthday to Mel! How fun, to have a summer birthday! Your photos are gorgeous, as usual, Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 16th, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Thanks laurie!!

25. Jenn@eatcakefordinner posted on July 16, 2014 at 5:24 pm (#)

I sure hope Mel snuck a taste of this, because it looks AH-mazing!!

26. iram posted on July 16, 2014 at 6:29 pm (#)

This looks amazing. I actually made your mint ice cream last week. The one with mint oreos. Sorry I forgot to comment on it. That was the first time I’ve ever made homemade ice cream. I loved the taste but also the texture. It’s really different from store bought. Much denser. A lil definitely goes a long way. I think this ice cream you created looks delicious. Are all of your ice creams rich? I would like to try this one. Thank you so much.

27. Alice // Hip Foodie Mom posted on July 16, 2014 at 7:04 pm (#)

Happy birthday to Mel! loved your photo on instagram!! :) so sweet! I love making ice cream this way .. so much easier!! I just made vanilla ice cream with brownies. . love love love. . yours is even better because you added creamy peanut butter . . totally trying this!

28. Tieghan posted on July 16, 2014 at 8:35 pm (#)

All I have to say is, HECK YES! :)

29. Thalia @ butter and brioche posted on July 16, 2014 at 9:07 pm (#)

you have definitely stumbled onto a fantastic idea here.. peanut butter ice cream and brownies, how can you go wrong! love it! craving a MASSIVE bowl of this ice cream now!

30. Renee @ Two in the Kitchen posted on July 17, 2014 at 5:57 am (#)

Ummm, yes please!! I am DROOLING over this!!

31. dina posted on July 17, 2014 at 7:47 am (#)

this looks so tempting!

32. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on July 17, 2014 at 11:06 am (#)

I love brownies and ice cream!! I bet the peanut butter adds such a great dimension alongside the brownies. Lovin your ice cream week!! Hope you had a nice day with Mel & Jordan yday!!

33. Kristyn posted on July 17, 2014 at 12:53 pm (#)

YUM! YUM! YUM!!! Looks so good and refreshing during the summer time!

34. Kristin K posted on July 17, 2014 at 1:57 pm (#)

Looks amazing! I love those bowls, too! Mind sharing where they’re from?? :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 17th, 2014 at 2:48 pm

I got the bowls at West Elm! I’m not sure if they still have those, but they usually have a good selection of that size. :)

35. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on July 17, 2014 at 11:02 pm (#)

I am so just catching up on ice cream week and holy yum! P.S. Happy Birthday Mel!

36. Pingback: Friday Faves!

37. Jessica @ Sprinkle Some Sugar posted on July 18, 2014 at 7:01 am (#)

This pretty much looks like the most amazing ice cream ever! Peanut butter + brownies?! YUM! Love how simple it is to throw together! Pinned. :)

38. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on July 18, 2014 at 5:05 pm (#)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEL!! Michael’s the same way, but us ladies gotta make our men’s bdays wonderful-whether they like it or not :P

This ice cream looks so rich and like the perfect treat! I know I’d love it for MY birthday!

39. Anna (Hidden Ponies) posted on July 19, 2014 at 7:44 am (#)

This is fantastic!! I love ice creams that don’t need a machine, but they are usually pretty plain – this is my kind of ice cream :)

40. Kelly - Life Made Sweeter posted on July 19, 2014 at 8:44 pm (#)

Happy happy birthday to Mel! Hope it was a great one! I would absolutely love this for my birthday! It looks heavenly and no churn is even better! Pinned!

41. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie posted on July 20, 2014 at 6:24 am (#)

I’ve made ice cream with brownie chunks in it but with a vanilla malt base. I gotta try it with peanut butter!

42. Krystle(Baking Beauty) posted on July 20, 2014 at 8:30 pm (#)

This looks so good! Love that it doesn’t need an ice cream machine either.
    PS What did you end up making for his birthday? -nosey and curious-

43. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet posted on July 24, 2014 at 2:39 pm (#)

Happy Birthday to your hubby! Love love this ice cream! Peanut butter and brownie chunks – yes, please!