Jul 31

Copycat Pineapple Whip

Oh. My. Gosh. YOU GUYS! I made the most wonderful, best tasting, most addicting (and healthier) frozen treat ever. It only has 4 ingredients, it’s ready in a flash, and it’s a Disney Copycat.

That’s right my peeps: I made you a copycat Pineapple Whip (aka Dole Whip). Make it at home today and save $3,500 by not going to Disney!

And, did I mention? It’s healthier too. #win

Copycat Pineapple Whip! Only 4 ingredients - and healthier!

To be totally honest with you, I’ve never had a Dole Whip. Sure, I’ve heard about them. I’ve contemplated buying one…until I saw the line.

30 minutes? For dessert? Um, no thanks.

Now you can have a Pineapple Whip without standing in a line. And without the super expensive price tag (no park hopper tickets needed!)

A few weeks ago I was craving a pineapple frozen treat, which is super strange for several reasons:

1. I don’t like pineapple.

2. I refuse to eat pineapple or drink pineapple juice.

3. I’ve never had a pineapple frozen treat, so why was I craving one?

I do, however, like frozen pineapple in smoothies. Throwing a handful of frozen pineapple into any smoothie adds a ton of sweetness and a layer of amazing flavor.

{I know. I love the flavor, hate the actual fruit. This is me, remember? I’m strange.}

I started thinking about what I could make with frozen pineapple. This was at the same time I was planning ice cream week, and at the same time I decided I needed to stop eating dessert all day.

Talk about a hard week.

Copycat Pineapple Whip! Only 4 ingredients - and healthier!

All summer I’ve been wanting a reason to make banana ice cream – you know, the kind that just has bananas in it?

Wait – you know about that, right? How if you freeze a sliced banana and then put it in a food processor it turns into soft serve ice cream?

Well, it does. So just trust me. And trust Sally. She’s the one I learned about it from. It’s called a banana whip.

See where I’m going?

Anyway, when I realized I was craving pineapple (and then I assured myself I was not pregnant, my body was just craving healthy), I decided to mix the two.

Frozen pineapple + frozen banana + a little bit of liquid = a Pineapple Whip.

Now, that “little bit of liquid”. Let’s talk about that, shall we?

There are lots of Dole Whip copycats out there. Some use whipped topping, some use milk, some use ice cream.

I decided to add some low-cal sweetness without using milk or sugar.

Copycat Pineapple Whip! Only 4 ingredients - and healthier!

I used International Delight Sugar-Free Vanilla Coffee Creamer. Remember that stuff? I used it to make homemade chocolate sauce. Using coffee creamer is a great way to add flavor and sweetness without actually adding cups of sugar.

Plus, the ID I used is sugar-free. That’s a #win in the cutting down on the sugar department. And the vanilla flavor from the coffee creamer really does give this an ice cream taste to it. It doesn’t taste like a smoothie – it tastes like ice cream!

Because the fruit is already sweet, I didn’t want to add too much coffee creamer. I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk as my filler. You could use nonfat milk or 2%, or even coconut or soy.

That’s it. 4 ingredients go into a food processor. Pineapple Whip comes out.

Copycat Pineapple Whip! Only 4 ingredients - and healthier!

Pineapple “Dole” Whips at home. No crying, tantrums, lines, or aching feet – just good ice cream!

Copycat Pineapple Whip

Sweet, fruity, and just like your favorite at Disneyland with less calories! This Pineapple Whip has only 4 ingredients and is the best frozen treat ever!

Ingredients:

• 2 overripe bananas, sliced and frozen
  • 3 cups chopped frozen pineapple (about 1 pound)
  • 3/4 cup International Delight Sugar-Free French Vanilla Coffee Creamer
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or you can use regular milk or coconut milk)

Directions:

• Place all ingredients in a food processor. It helps if the frozen fruit are not in chunks, so be sure to break them up before adding them.
  • Run the food processor until smooth. This will take several minutes and you will probably need to open it up a few times to break up any chunks that form and make sure the frozen fruit is under the blades. Eventually it will become smooth like a cross between soft serve ice cream and a thick milkshake.
  • Serve immediately in glasses or dishes. Freeze leftovers. It freezes hard, so leave it on the counter for a few minutes or microwave it for a few seconds to get it to soft serve consistency.
  • Makes 4-6 servings, depending on size. A little goes a long way!

Find more International Delight on Facebook and Pinterest.

Healthy Banana Walnut Chip Ice Cream

healthy-banana-nut-ice-cream (1 of 4)

Strawberries Wild Smoothie

Strawberries Wild (3 of 5)w

Pourable hot fudge sauce

Thick Chocolate Sauce (8 of 9)

Enjoy!

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of International Delight.  The opinions and text are all mine.

Tracking Pixel

27 Responses to “Copycat Pineapple Whip”

1. Heather@ Shards of Lavender posted on July 31, 2014 at 6:58 am (#)

Brilliant! We have a local ice cream shop here in Ohio that serves Dole Whip(pineapple, orange, and twist) and it’s the only place I’ve tried it. This looks so easy(and healthy!) and I have all the ingredients already. Trying it this afternoon… Thanks!

2. Niki posted on July 31, 2014 at 7:25 am (#)

We were at Disney over Spring Break and the line was out of control – when I first saw it I thought it was for a ride…not Dole Whip :)

3. Mir posted on July 31, 2014 at 8:26 am (#)

I’ve never tried this! But I’ll have to. It looks so summery! Does not hurt that going to Disney isn’t required, either.

4. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on July 31, 2014 at 10:10 am (#)

I have an Intl Delight post today too! Great minds :) I looooove your whip! Wow, can I just have a spoon and not be bothered til it’s gone! Looks so fluffy and awesome and whippy :) Pinned!

5. Crystal posted on July 31, 2014 at 5:17 pm (#)

Looks amazing!! What a great healthy treat especially in this summer heat!! Thanks so much :)

6. Laurie F. posted on July 31, 2014 at 6:21 pm (#)

What if you don’t want to use creamer? Any suggestions for a substitute (something with sugar would be ok)?

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 31st, 2014 at 6:36 pm

You can totally substitute all almond milk (or your milk choice) and then add some sugar/honey to taste. You shouldn’t need much, deepening on how sweet your fruit is!

7. Peter posted on July 31, 2014 at 6:41 pm (#)

Many thanks! That ended up being great and for that reason easy to cook.

8. Karen @ The Food Charlatan posted on July 31, 2014 at 8:27 pm (#)

People wait in line 30 minutes, really? Well it is Disneyland, I suppose, people are trained to wait in line there, right? :) I might actually do it though. Wait, I mean. This looks fab. PS how do you not like pineapple??? It’s my favorite fruit of all time, and I’m slightly allergic to it, but that doesn’t stop me from leaning over my sink eating entire spears at a time, juice dripping down my elbows. okay probably this image is not enticing you to love pineapple, maybe just stick with your pretty whips :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 1st, 2014 at 6:45 am

I think I’d be doing just that – the flavor tastes like candy to me which is totally up my alley. It’s the texture I can’t get behind (I have issues with most fruit). And also, the anticipation of that one “hard” piece in the bowl that makes my throat close. Have I mentioned I’m weird??

9. Nicole posted on July 31, 2014 at 8:52 pm (#)

So, could I potentially add coconut to this and make a pina colada whip?

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 1st, 2014 at 6:43 am

Yes! Use coconut milk. Or add some cream de coconut. OR RUM. :)

10. Thalia @ butter and brioche posted on July 31, 2014 at 9:05 pm (#)

i’ve never tried dole whip before (never been to disneyland either.. partly to do with living in australia). definitely recreating this recipe so at least i can know what all the fuss is about!

11. Jennie @themessybakerblog posted on August 1, 2014 at 5:10 am (#)

I’ve never heard of pineapple whip before, but now that I know it exists, I can’t live without it. So creamy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 1st, 2014 at 6:42 am

Right? It was amazingly good. Thanks Jennie!

12. Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) posted on August 1, 2014 at 6:02 am (#)

OMG these would set my world on fire!

13. Jenn @ Mother Thyme posted on August 1, 2014 at 6:46 am (#)

I love this! I am totally going to make this over the weekend. Looks sooo good!

14. Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch posted on August 1, 2014 at 11:13 pm (#)

I love Dole Whips I think mainly because the Disney Land memories, who doesn’t love Disney! Love how simple your recipe is! Pinning this later for the kiddos!

15. Mary Frances posted on August 2, 2014 at 8:07 am (#)

Using the coffee creamer is so smart! I agree, those kinds of liquids give healthified ice cream treats a more ice creamy taste. This all fruit frozen treat sounds so so good right now! It saves me the cost of going to Disney (and I’m pretty sure I would go for the food) AND satisfies my summer sweet tooth, all in one five minute recipe. Pinning!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:56 am

Thanks so much for the pin!!

16. Kelly posted on August 2, 2014 at 9:02 pm (#)

I loved Dole Whips when we went to Disney!!! And now I can make it myself without the line up or hopping on a plane? Yes please, brilliant! Pinning :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:49 am

Thanks so much for the pin!

17. Cate @ Chez CateyLou posted on August 3, 2014 at 7:42 pm (#)

Wow, I’ve never had Dole whip either but I’m pretty sure I would love it! Good thing I can make it at home now b/c I’m not going to Disney anytime soon!! This look so refreshing and delicious. What a perfect summer treat! Pinning!

18. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking posted on August 7, 2014 at 9:59 pm (#)

I’ve never had Pineapple Whip from Disneyland either, and I’ve been almost as many times as I am years old! (Umm, no joke. We went twice in a year sometimes.) That line near the Tikki Room? SO long and SO not worth standing in it! I’d much rather make your version at home. And P.S. isn’t is super weird to start craving something healthy after getting used to eating dessert all day long? My first thought is “ohmygosh am I getting sick??” then “oh wait, I’ve just been eating sugar all day…” So bad! ;)