Jun 16

Jamba Juice Strawberries Wild Smoothie Copycat

Want a Jamba Juice Smoothie RIGHT NOW but you don’t want to get in your car and drive to a store? No problem, because I’m bringing you a copycat! This strawberry smoothie tastes just like a Jamba Juice Strawberries Wild!

Strawberries Wild Jamba Juice Copycat - make it at home to control price and ingredients!

Jamba Juice became super popular when I was in college. Every weekend I’d head to the closest store and get a huge  smoothie and then go next door and get a bagel and cream cheese. Back then, I didn’t worry about calories. It was fruit + bagel and that was breakfast (or sometimes lunch).

My favorite go-to #1 order at Jamba Juice was always the Strawberries Wild. To be perfectly honest, it was one of the only ones that appealed to me (besides the Peanut Butter Moo’d) because I’m really picky about fruit and I don’t like peaches. As I got older (and calories started to matter) I switched to the Strawberry Whirl, because it was less calories. But I still love the Strawberries Wild best!

Jordan has inherited my love of Jamba Juice. She begs to go there constantly. I finally gave in a few weeks ago and when we walked in I almost had a heart attack. A small (not the normal huge cup they give you if you don’t say “small”) was almost $5. I could have bought dinner for 3 at McDonald’s for what I paid for two smoothies.

So I came home and made my own. Now I can give her jamba juice whenever she asks, for a fraction of the cost and way less calories. #win

Strawberries Wild Jamba Juice Copycat - it's better made at home!

The secret to the Strawberries Wild smoothie is apple. I don’t know why I don’t throw an apple into every smoothie I make at home – I love the flavor it adds. It’s perfect mixed into this smoothie with strawberries and bananas. I used Crunchpak apples because I always have them in my refrigerator for easy snacks and lunches for Jordan (her braces make it hard to eat whole apples) but you can slice your favorite apple for this smoothie. Gala or Fuji would be perfect, probably 1/2 an apple for one smoothie.

You can use frozen strawberries or fresh that have been frozen. When the berries are on sale this time of year I’ll buy a lot of them and then wash and slice and freeze them so they’re ready for smoothies. When I make my daily breakfast smoothie I use a fresh, room temperature banana (because I always forget to freeze them) but for this recipe I took the time to slice and freeze a banana about an hour before making it. Tip: slice a bunch of bananas and freeze 1 banana per sandwich bag. It’s perfect portion control.

The classic jamba smoothies also have a yogurt base. Instead of using a high calorie frozen yogurt, I used nonfat vanilla greek yogurt. You can use any kind you like, or substitute regular/low-fat or plain, or even regular non-greek plain or vanilla yogurt.

With all the frozen fruit, your blender needs some liquid to help it process. I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk, which is what I use in all my smoothies. You can substitute soy or coconut milk, or non-fat/regular milk, or even water. Note: I use a Blendtec blender, which is very powerful. Because of that I only used 1/4 cup of liquid. If your blender is less powerful you may need to add up to 1/2 cup of liquid so you don’t burn out the motor. Be sure to put the liquid in first, before the frozen fruit.

The beauty of making this smoothie at home is that you can substitute your own ingredients. It’s easy to make this dairy-free by leaving out the yogurt or you can make the smoothie sweeter by adding sweetener of your choice. Add some protein by adding a scoop of your favorite protein powder or add flax or wheat germ for some added nutrition.

Plus, it costs about $1 to make it at home, which means you can drink it every day and not have to mortgage your house.

Jamba Juice Copycat Strawberries Wild

My only problem now is that when Jordan asks I have no reason not to make it for her…other than my own laziness. Is cleaning a blender the worst thing ever, or is it just me?

Strawberries Wild Smoothie {jamba juice copycat}

Strawberries Wild Smoothie {jamba juice copycat}

• 1/4 to 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or nonfat milk, coconut milk, or water)
  • 1/4 cup nonfat vanilla greek yogurt (or regular/low fat, plain, or regular vanilla yogurt)
  • 1 medium banana (sliced and frozen)
  • 3-4 frozen sliced strawberries (a heaping 1/4 cup)
  • 4-5 apple slices (a heaping 1/4 cup)
  • Sweetener of choice, optional (I didn't use any sweetener)
  • Optional: add some flax or wheat germ or protein powder for added nutrition

1. Place almond milk (or desired liquid) in the bottom of your blender. Add the yogurt and frozen fruit. Blend until smooth.
  2. Dairy-Free option: use almond, soy, or coconut milk or water and omit yogurt (or use a DF equivalent). If omitting the yogurt, use a room temperature banana instead of frozen for a smoother feel.

Notes

Blender 101: depending on the blender you use you may need more than 1/4 cup of liquid. I use a very strong Blendtec, so less liquid is okay, but if your blender isn’t as strong, you may need to add up to 1/4 cup more liquid to get it to process without burning out the gears.

Fruit 101: You can use frozen strawberries, or clean, hull, and slice fresh, then freeze them. I like to slice bananas and freeze 1 per sandwich bag so they are always ready for smoothies.

Famous Amos Cookie Copycat

famous-amos-copycat (1 of 4)w

Starbucks Petite Vanilla Scone Copycat

copycat-petite-vanilla-scones (3 of 5)w

Watermelon Lemonade

watermelon-lemonade-margarita (1 of 6)w

Peanut Butter Moo’d Copycat by Something Swanky
Banana Berry Copycat by Cooking Classy
Caribbean Passion Copycat by Color Me Meg

50 Responses to “Jamba Juice Strawberries Wild Smoothie Copycat”

1. Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness posted on June 16, 2014 at 3:16 am (#)

I’ve actually never had a Jamba Juice Smoothie! Crazy right?! Clearly I must fix this problem, and this smoothie looks perfect to start. Throwing an apple in there is SO surprising! pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 16th, 2014 at 7:09 am

Yes you must Taylor! They’re so good, but it’s so easy to make them at home! :) Thanks for the pin!

2. Mir posted on June 16, 2014 at 3:33 am (#)

I love this healthy take! It looks so good right about now. I’ve got the Monday morning blues.
    This will be breakfast one day this week for sure!

3. Chloe @ foodlikecake posted on June 16, 2014 at 4:11 am (#)

Yum!

4. How to Philosophize with Cake posted on June 16, 2014 at 4:29 am (#)

That looks delicious! I love trying smoothie variations, especially thick and creamy ones. Will have to try this soon! :)

5. Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice posted on June 16, 2014 at 4:44 am (#)

The strawberries wild was always my favorite smoothie too! And this one definitely looks like it could rival it! Love that it’s healthier and a lot less expensive. Pinned!

6. Ashton posted on June 16, 2014 at 5:00 am (#)

So yum! We love smoothes at our house (and uh, duh, Peanut Butter Moo’d is friggin awesome!!!). And we’re BIG jamba fans around here, but we don’t have one near by :( So I’ll totally be using this recipe next time the craving hits! (and nice photos BTW, lookin’ good!!!!!)

7. Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron posted on June 16, 2014 at 5:05 am (#)

Haha no! Cleaning a blender is the worst thing! I don’t even know why but it is :) This Jamba Juice copycat looks perfect! Love all the ingredients and how simple it is! Pinned :)

8. Linnea posted on June 16, 2014 at 5:20 am (#)

After you finish making your smoothie, add water and dish soap to the blender and give it a whirl. It gets all of the extra grime off so all you need to do is rinse it afterwards. Works like a charm!

9. Kelly - Life made Sweeter posted on June 16, 2014 at 5:23 am (#)

Love this healthier Jamba Juice especially at only $1 a pop. It looks and sounds so good and the apple sounds like such a great idea! Pinning :)

10. Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) posted on June 16, 2014 at 5:54 am (#)

OMG I see you utilized the backlight on these photos like Connie mentioned! Girl I just started some shots yesterday with backlight and it is like a revelation lol. These are so gorgeous girl!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 16th, 2014 at 7:47 am

It’s so much harder to get the shot, but when you do it’s SO much better. I’m still working on it, but I’m loving it!

11. CakePants posted on June 16, 2014 at 7:05 am (#)

Oh wow, I had no idea the prices had gone up so much! I haven’t been to a Jamba Juice in ages – there are several in my home town in CA, but I’m pretty sure there’s not a single one in Michigan, so I’m super excited that now I can make this one at home! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

12. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on June 16, 2014 at 7:35 am (#)

Cleaning the blender is THE worst. But I read on Pinterest (go figure) that you can just add soap and water to the blender cavity, blend it, and rinse it out. Viola! Easy peasy. Almost as easy as making JAMBA JUICE AT HOME!! Holy crap, this is life-changing!

13. Matt Robinson posted on June 16, 2014 at 10:34 am (#)

This looks so good right now! On a warm day like today, this would be my dream. Bookmarked and happening soon!

14. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on June 16, 2014 at 10:42 am (#)

Wow what a great idea! I have never even had the Jamba Juice one since I am too el cheapo and just make my own LOL Love strawberry smoothies and this is so pretty! Pinned

15. The Better Baker posted on June 16, 2014 at 1:13 pm (#)

This smoothie is such a creation of beauty! SO glad I saw this…will be making it soon. I LOVE smoothies, but haven’t gotten into the habit of adding apple. What’s wrong with me??? That’s about to change. Thanks -

16. Librarian Lavender posted on June 16, 2014 at 1:49 pm (#)

This looks really, really good. And thanks for the tip about the apple, I’ll definitely be trying that next time!

17. marcie posted on June 16, 2014 at 2:31 pm (#)

I love the strawberries wild smoothie at jamba juice! This looks so delicious!

18. Jenn@eatcakefordinner posted on June 16, 2014 at 4:36 pm (#)

My Favorite was Chocolate Moo’d. It was a chocolate malt smoothie. I wonder if they still make that one – haven’t been there is years. Your pics of this strawberry version are amazing!

19. Medeja posted on June 16, 2014 at 4:50 pm (#)

I can imagine that flavor was lovely :) I guess I will have to try it :D

20. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on June 16, 2014 at 5:15 pm (#)

Looks delicious! Love making smoothies at home.

21. Crystal posted on June 16, 2014 at 6:01 pm (#)

Love this recipe!! I know what I’m having tomorrow. I have all the ingredients so I can’t wait. Thanks for the awesome recipe!!

22. Danielle posted on June 16, 2014 at 6:08 pm (#)

Love this recipe! Now I just need to pick up some strawberries, you’re recipes never disappoint me. I absolutely love them!

23. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking posted on June 16, 2014 at 7:21 pm (#)

I am and always will be a strawberry banana smoothie kind of girl. This speaks to me. And it’s saying…I know it’s damn near midnight but you want to make one of these smoothies NOW!

24. Mom posted on June 16, 2014 at 7:59 pm (#)

Wow, that pic is beautiful. Looks like I could just stick a straw through the computer screen and drink it. Love the recipe!

25. Laurie F. posted on June 16, 2014 at 8:50 pm (#)

Thanks for the copycat! I no longer go to Jamba Juice because they have become so expensive. And LOL re the bagel and Jamba Juice for lunch. I remember in college, thinking I was having a light lunch when I would eat an entire bagel with cream cheese, and a piece of fruit on the side.

26. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on June 16, 2014 at 10:41 pm (#)

Low and behold I have everything I need in my fridge to make this! So I will be having this for breakfast this week! It is out favorite smoothie too!

27. Samina | The Cupcake Confession posted on June 17, 2014 at 12:32 am (#)

I’ve never heard of Jamba juice before but I am loving the way you have described it and it’s making me crave a TALLLLL glass of this deliciousness!!! I soooo agree with you!!!! Juices and smoothies from high end stores are SO EXPENSIVE! This homemade version is not just light on the pocket but in calories too! LOVE IT!

28. HappyForks posted on June 17, 2014 at 2:10 am (#)

What a fantastic composition of protein and fruits! It’s a great source of vitamin C and vitamin B6. Perfect idea to start a day with and even better after morning training.

29. Liz Fourez posted on June 17, 2014 at 5:24 am (#)

I don’t have a Jamba Juice close by, but MAN do I want to give this recipe a try! Sounds delish!

30. whatjessicabakednext posted on June 17, 2014 at 6:05 am (#)

Looks amazing!

31. Jen @ Yummy Healthy Easy posted on June 17, 2014 at 8:51 am (#)

OMG. I’ve been craving Jamba Juice! I think I’ll make this for breakfast right now!! Thanks for the recipe, Dorothy – pinned!

32. Heather @ French Press posted on June 17, 2014 at 10:27 am (#)

this is the kids favorite, and I never would have guessed to add apples – can’t wait to try them at home

33. Lindsey posted on June 17, 2014 at 10:28 am (#)

We ALWAYS go to Jamba first when we go back home to Cali.(it’s in the budget! Lol!) We are in Ohio so the best we get are the ore packaged ones that Walmart is now selling in the frozen section. Your copycat looks very refreshing! Never thought of slicing and freezing bananas. Great tip! I love all of your recipes. Thanks for sharing!

34. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction posted on June 17, 2014 at 11:05 am (#)

I am so glad I have all of the ingredients on hand, because this looks amazing!

35. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on June 17, 2014 at 11:44 am (#)

It has been forever since I have been to Jamba Juice…like 14 years I think. I remember them being so good, but yes, who wants to spend their life savings on smoothies. Love this fun copycat version. And I want more details on this backlighting that you and Jocelyn are talking about…I need help with it so much!!!

37. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking posted on June 17, 2014 at 2:58 pm (#)

We did the Jamba Juice & bagels thing all the time too! But my mom made us bike all the way across town (there were 2 huge hills — ugh!) and we’d split the smoothie and each ate half of the bagel. But we were little, so it was probably about the same. We definitely didn’t worry about calories then either — I always picked the cheesy bagels and smothered them in butter! ;) Strawberries Wild is one of my favorites, and I love how you added Greek yogurt! Definitely want to try this really soon when the next heat wave hits!

38. Emily @ Life on Food posted on June 17, 2014 at 5:23 pm (#)

I love Jamba Juice but you are 100% right about the prices. Good for me that none are close so it is always a special treat and rare occasion. I make homemade smoothies all the time but never with apple. I will have to try that out tomorrow morning.

39. Lindsay Ann @ dollhousebakeshoppe.com posted on June 17, 2014 at 9:43 pm (#)

I used to always order the strawberries wild when I was a kid!! Boy does this take me back! I can’t believe how simple it ins! I will have to try using regular milk because I am allergic to almond, but I can’t wait to try it out!

40. miss messy posted on June 18, 2014 at 3:30 am (#)

I always throw an apple in, they’re great. This looks super. I love that it can be dairy free too!

41. Kristyn posted on June 19, 2014 at 10:16 am (#)

Oh my – looks so good! LOVE great smoothie recipes – thanks!

42. Laura Dembowski posted on June 20, 2014 at 10:24 am (#)

I’ve never been to Jamba Juice (I know!) but I used to love a local smoothie place. Now I make smoothies at home all the time. I love that they are soooooo much healthier and I know exactly what’s in them.

43. Mary Frances posted on June 21, 2014 at 7:06 am (#)

So many people are going to flip over this recipe Dorothy! Not only is this is a spot on EASY copycat, it is so much cheaper! Gorgeous photos and awesome recipe!

44. Pingback: 25 Very Berry Recipes - your homebased mom

45. Lori posted on June 23, 2014 at 12:53 pm (#)

Do I need to peel the apples first or can I just throw the whole thing in?

46. Pingback: Strawberry Basil Muffins - Something Swanky