Jan 21

Red Velvet Soft Pretzels

This is a super fun way to eat cake – as a soft pretzel! These Red Velvet Soft Pretzels taste like cake, but with the texture of a soft pretzel.

Red Velvet Soft Pretzels - a fun way to eat your cake! | crazyforcrust.com

A few months ago I posted Cake Mix Soft Pretzels, a boiled and baked soft pretzel that was made out of cake mix. I had figured, if Christi can make cinnamon rolls out of cake mix, why can’t I make pretzels? And I was delighted to find that it worked!

I think it helped that they were funfetti pretzels. I mean, there really is nothing better than sprinkles.

Hi, my name is Dorothy and I’m addicted to sprinkles. Especially Valentine’s Day Sprinkles. I pink puffy heart red and pink.

Red Velvet Soft Pretzels (3 of 6)

Since my only Valenine’s Day inspiration right now seems to be red velvet, I thought, why not do a red velvet soft pretzel? Covered in cream cheese frosting? This is a Valentine’s Day #win people!

Red velvet cake mix is mixed with flour and yeast and a few other things and left to rise. Don’t be afraid of yeast! I was for so long, until I started using it. Now I can’t get enough! I love Red Star Yeast. I use Active Dry, and I buy it in a jar. With the amount I use it, it’s way cheaper to go the jar route. But you can use a packet if that’s what you have.

Once the dough has risen, you cut it into pieces and roll each out into a long red velvet rope and twist that into a pretzel. You can just bake them but I love the chewiness of a boiled-then-baked soft pretzel, so I do that. Really, it doesn’t add much time to your process and it makes them taste so much better!

Once you’ve boiled them and baked them and they cool, it’s time to add the frosting (and sprinkles!) I used a can of cream cheese frosting because I was feeling super lazy. You can totally make your own if you’d like (this is my favorite recipe).

The magic of using the canned frosting is (1) powdered sugar won’t coat your counters, clothes, mixer, and curtains, and (2) You can heat it so that the pretzels can be dipped like a glaze. The more you heat it, the thinner the glaze and vice versa. Then simply add sprinkles!

Red Velvet Soft Pretzels - a fun way to eat your cake! | crazyforcrust.com

These are like having a red velvet cupcake, but with the texture of a soft pretzel. *Minds blown everywhere*

Happy Tuesday!

Red Velvet Soft Pretzels

Yield: 16 pretzels

Red Velvet Soft Pretzels

• 1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
  • 1 1/4 cups warm water
  • 1 3/4 cups Red Velvet Cake mix
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 3/4 - 3 cups flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • Water
  • 1/2 cup canned cream cheese frosting
  • Sprinkles

1. Add yeast to warm water and stir gently. Let sit for a few minutes. Meanwhile, add cake mix and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attached. Stir to combine. Slowly pour the water into the mixer while it’s running on “Stir.” Add flour. Turn it to “2” and let it run until most of the flour is mixed in, then turn it to “4” until the dough comes together. It will pull easily away from the sides of the bowl. (I started with 2 3/4 cups flour but increased the amount to 3 cups after I noticed the dough was too sticky to touch.)
  2. Note: you can do this without a stand mixer, but I haven’t. Stir the ingredients together in a large bowl until you can’t stir anymore, then use your hands to knead the dough until it comes together.
  3. Place the dough in a bowl sprayed with cooking spray. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let sit for at least 1 hour (or as many as 4 hours).
  4. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  5. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead just a few times to form a ball. Cut into 16 equal pieces.
  6. Place a pot of water on the stove to boil (about 10 cups).
  7. Form your pretzels by rolling each piece of dough into a long rope, about 15” long. Bring the two ends up, cross them and wrap them, and bring the ends down to the bottom, forming the pretzel shape.
  8. When water boils, add 1 tablespoon baking soda to the water. Working in batches (2-4 to a batch, depending on your pan size) carefully place the pretzels in the boiling water. They will sink to the bottom. When they float, just a few seconds, pull them out using a slotted spoon. Drain well and set them on a cookie sheet covered with a silpat baking mat or parchment paper that's been sprayed with cooking spray (they'll stick to the parchment since they're damp).
  9. Bake for 11-15 minutes, until golden brown. Cool completely before glazing.
  10. To glaze: heat frosting in a microwave safe bowl for about 20-30 seconds. The longer you heat your frosting, the thinner the glaze gets (it will either drip off or be more like a thin frosting). If you heat it too much, just let it sit for a minute or two and firm up.
  11. Dip your pretzels upside down in the glaze. Place back on cookie sheets and sprinkle with sprinkles. Let the glaze dry, then eat!

Easy Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzel Bites

Easy Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzel Bites (2 of 6)w

Cake Mix Soft Pretzels

Cake Batter Soft Pretzels (3 of 7)w

Red Velvet Cookie Cake

Red Velvet Cookie Cake (3 of 8)w

Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownie Bombs by The Domestic Rebel
Red Velvet Gooey Butter Cake by Buns in My Oven
Red Velvet Truffle Bark by Something Swanky

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

65 Responses to “Red Velvet Soft Pretzels”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on January 21, 2014 at 5:29 am (#)

Yeasted cake mix, in pretzel form, with all that cream cheese frosting. Now THIS is my kind of pretzel. I posted pretzels today too but I want yours :) pinned

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 21st, 2014 at 7:19 am

Thanks Averie! I love your little bites!

2. steph@stephsbitebybite posted on January 21, 2014 at 5:52 am (#)

What a yummy little snack!!

3. Tieghan Gerard posted on January 21, 2014 at 6:03 am (#)

Just made pretzels yesterday, but now I want these! So fun, Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 21st, 2014 at 7:18 am

Thanks Tieghan! I can’t wait to see yours!

4. Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) posted on January 21, 2014 at 6:28 am (#)

If these aren’t the cutest little pretzels in the world, I don’t know what are!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 21st, 2014 at 7:18 am

Thans Jocelyn!

5. Ashton posted on January 21, 2014 at 6:33 am (#)

You are the queen of soft pretzels! Love!!!

6. Erin | The Law Students Wife posted on January 21, 2014 at 6:38 am (#)

LOVE soft pretzels, and using cake mix is such a fun way to mix up the flavors. Yay for Valentine’s Day (and sprinkles) :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 21st, 2014 at 7:18 am

Thanks Erin!

7. Graham @ Glazed & Confused posted on January 21, 2014 at 7:14 am (#)

Didn’t even know that you could make pretzels with cake mix. Looks delish!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 21st, 2014 at 7:18 am

I know, it’s crazy! :)

8. Heather @ French Press posted on January 21, 2014 at 8:22 am (#)

I have been craving soft pretzels- what a fun V-Daytreat

9. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking posted on January 21, 2014 at 8:35 am (#)

Red Velvet pretzels?! How do you come up with this stuff?! Sounds amazing, but then again, I would eat my finger with cream cheese icing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 22nd, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I dream it! LOL :)

10. Laura @ Laura's Baking Talent posted on January 21, 2014 at 9:05 am (#)

These so make me smile :) What a fun idea for anytime… but especially for Valentines Day!

11. Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor posted on January 21, 2014 at 9:42 am (#)

Now this is my kind of pretzel! And so pretty too!

12. Zainab @ Blahnik Baker posted on January 21, 2014 at 9:43 am (#)

It’s a happy Tuesday indeed just staring at these!! Red velvet and sprinkles on a soft pretzel defines what good days are made of :)

13. Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig posted on January 21, 2014 at 9:55 am (#)

Brilliant! I love, love this idea…Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 22nd, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Thanks for the pin Cathy!

14. Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness posted on January 21, 2014 at 10:08 am (#)

I have yet to make my own pretzels but I need these! They are so ADORBS! I am dying over the cute factor here.
    These sounds awesome Dorothy..so perfect for Vday!

15. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on January 21, 2014 at 10:43 am (#)

I love that these are made from a cake mix-so many flavor possibilities and so easy!

17. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on January 21, 2014 at 11:53 am (#)

Oh my word! I puffy heart love these! And all the sprinkles!!!! This is my kind of sprinklelicious treat!!!

18. Kristen posted on January 21, 2014 at 5:21 pm (#)

These are so brilliant… who knew you could make soft pretzels with cake mix? Love it!

19. Melissa @ Simply Sweets by Honeybee posted on January 21, 2014 at 6:39 pm (#)

Oh my word! These look fantastic. I can’t wait to try them!

20. Tonia posted on January 21, 2014 at 7:27 pm (#)

These are so cute! One of these days I am going to make something red velvet…maybe for the 4th of July? LOL!

21. dina posted on January 21, 2014 at 7:31 pm (#)

these are really cute!

22. Mary Frances posted on January 21, 2014 at 7:59 pm (#)

Pure.brilliance. Pretzels from cake mix? Who knew! And red velvet to boot. Love love love these!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 22nd, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Thanks Mary Frances!

23. Amy posted on January 21, 2014 at 8:05 pm (#)

I couldn’t get over how creative your funfetti pretzels were last fall, and now you’ve blown me away again with your red velvet ones! They’re seriously the most perfect thing ever for Valentine’s Day. I need to get on this red velvet bandwagon really soon… I’ve only attempted it once, but that was almost 2 years ago!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 22nd, 2014 at 5:44 pm

I have yet to make one I love from scratch. Probably because I’ve never had a really good one that’s not cake mix!! :)

• Amy replied on January 22nd, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Totally fair. The cupcake bakeries in town make great cream cheese frosting for their red velvet cupcakes, but the cake part itself isn’t too impressive!

24. Erin | The Emerging Foodie posted on January 21, 2014 at 8:47 pm (#)

Oh, Dorothy, these are pure brilliance! And I am 200% ok with the canned frosting. Sounds absolutely delectable. Totally pinned and planned for Valentine’s Day! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 22nd, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Sometimes? I just eat it with a spoon, hidden from the foodies online. :) Thanks Erin!

25. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on January 21, 2014 at 9:29 pm (#)

Wow I had no idea you could use cake mix for pretzels. That is so cool!

26. Melissa posted on January 21, 2014 at 9:53 pm (#)

I’ve never tried to make pretzels but you’ve persuaded me! Thanks for posting this fun recipe- WAY too cute. I’m so excited for Valentine’s Day. It’s not even a real holiday but I still treat it like it is- go pink, sprinkles, frosting, flowers, home made cards, and chocolate!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 22nd, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I’d cover everything in sprinkles if I could! Thanks Melissa!

27. Gerry @ Foodness Gracious posted on January 21, 2014 at 10:02 pm (#)

This is pretty darn genius! Perfect for so many events too..

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 22nd, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Yep, like a random any day. :)

28. Jackie posted on January 22, 2014 at 7:44 am (#)

Yummy! and so cute too!

29. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on January 22, 2014 at 6:48 pm (#)

Eeeeeek! I am in love with these beautiful pretzels, Dot! Not only are they stunning to look at, I simply can’t believe they taste like red velvet cake with the same irresistible texture of a classic pretzel! In. Love. Also, thanks for the linky love!

30. Renee @ Two in the Kitchen posted on January 23, 2014 at 5:06 am (#)

These are beautiful!! And so clever!! Pinned.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 23rd, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Thanks for the pin Renee!

31. Kim Byers @ The Celebration Shoppe posted on January 23, 2014 at 8:14 am (#)

Yum…Red velvet pretzels, they sound heavenly.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 23rd, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Thanks Kim!

32. Wendy posted on January 23, 2014 at 7:17 pm (#)

Using cake mix is a great shortcut but using cake mix to make pretzels is ingenious!! I have no idea how I missed the other cake mix pretzel recipes but they are all pinned now! I can’t wait to try them. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 24th, 2014 at 6:26 am

I very rarely use cake mix for cake anymore! :) Thanks Wendy!

33. Suzanne posted on January 24, 2014 at 1:23 pm (#)

I love this idea, how easy to make too, just perfect for Valentines!

34. Serene@Houseofyumm posted on January 26, 2014 at 8:09 am (#)

What a fabulous idea!!! I’m addicted to anything Red velvet with cream cheese! Love how fun these are!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 27th, 2014 at 8:03 am

Thanks Serene!

35. Pingback: Red Velvet Gooey Cheesecake Bars and 3 Month Anniversary Giveaway

36. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie posted on January 28, 2014 at 9:11 pm (#)

Ah! I still have yet to make your funfetti pretzels and now you come up with this?

37. Pingback: Red Velvet Soft Pretzels | Defining Good Taste

38. Pingback: 14 Valentine’s Day Sweets for Your Sweetie

39. Pingback: 50+ Delicious Valentine's Treats | The Recipe Critic

40. Pingback: 50+ Delicious Valentine’s Treats RecipeTags.com | RecipeTags.com

41. Pingback: ADVENTURES IN FASHION!: {Baking} 6 Valentine’s Recipes To Try | Appliance Repair

42. Pingback: 50 of the Best Red Velvet Recipes - Julie's Eats & Treats

43. Nicole posted on February 15, 2014 at 10:02 am (#)

I am assuming that the flour is added in step one with the cake mix and salt, right? Or is it added slowly before/after the water?

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 15th, 2014 at 11:43 am

I add the flour after some of the water is mixed in with the cake mix. I like to add it slowly, so that I make sure not to use too much. After about 2 cups, I start to add it 1/2 cup at a time. The amount you use can vary depending on the dryness/humidity, etc.

44. Pingback: Gold Wiser

45. V Gilbert posted on August 12, 2014 at 7:55 pm (#)

I made these as part of a thank you gift for the hostesses of my baby shower. I actually used a box of red velvet cake that comes with filling, so I used the filling to coat the tops instead of buying frosting! My shapes aren’t quite as good as yours – I need to make them skinnier so that when they cook they still have consistent pretzel-shaped holes in them. The boiling step was absolutely essential for the pretzel texture, and I really wished I had a silicon baking mat, because several of mine got ruined when I just couldn’t get them off the greased sheet.

Oh, who am I kidding? Since I got to eat the “ruined” ones, I wasn’t really that mad. ;) Fun recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 13th, 2014 at 6:44 am

I’m glad you enjoyed them! And yes, it took me a long time to get to the perfect roll. The first ones I made and posted (the funfetti ones) had almost no holes! :)