Dec 03

Peppermint Kiss Brownie Bites {dairy-free option}

If you love chocolate and peppermint, these from-scratch Peppermint Kiss Brownie Bites are for you!

Peppermint Kiss Brownie Bites | crazyforcrust.com | #peppermint

I finished book 7 of the Harry Potter series the other day. And now I just want to cry, because it’s over. Over the past 8 weeks, I feel like I’ve lived seven years with this boy and his friends…and now it’s over.

Authors shouldn’t write series if they’re going to end them. There should be a rule that they must keep writing them. Or that, every 5 years after the end of the last book they write a short novella letting us back into the characters lives.

I seriously feel lost. Like, where do I go from here? How do I read a regular book now?

The answer? I don’t. I started book 1 again yesterday.

I’m addicted to Harry Potter.

Kind of like I’m addicted to peppermint. And brownies.

Peppermint Kiss Brownie Bites | crazyforcrust.com | #peppermint

I can never, ever get enough peppermint. I’ve already posted two peppermint recipes this year and I’m sure more will spontaneously pop into my head.

Also? I can’t get enough gingerbread. Or brownies. Or Hershey’s Kisses. #addicted #christmasbakingrocks

Today I combined two of my favorites: Brownies + Candy Cane Hershey’s Kisses. These are like Blossom Cookies…but they’re brownies.

So. Much. Better.

Peppermint Kiss Brownie Bites | crazyforcrust.com | #peppermint

These bites are a from-scratch brownie, based on my favorite recipe, but I altered it a bit to make it dairy-free. The brownie recipe uses unsweetened cocoa powder instead of baking chocolate, and vegetable oil instead of butter. The result is a fudgy inside and a flaky outside, much like a box mix, but better. They are a little more frail then your average brownie, because they are so tender on the inside.

And they’re goooooood.

{Now, I know there are all ranges of dairy intolerance out there. These were made especially for a class party, because one of my daughter’s friends can’t have dairy. She’s okay with chocolate. And, of course, the Kiss isn’t dairy-free, but again, chocolate candy doesn’t bother her. Adapt these with a candy you can eat!}

When they come out of the oven, you simply top them with an unwrapped Candy Cane Kiss. You need to do this immediately, before the brownies cool. That makes the Kiss stick.

Note that the flavored Hershey’s Kisses are not as firm as regular chocolate ones. They tend to collapse in blossom cookies if you’re not careful. This is especially true with the Candy Cane Kisses – even if you don’t touch the pans, they still might fall. But that’s okay…they’re still amazing.

Try these with Mint Truffle Kisses. Or Cherry Cordial. Or, in the Spring, Coconut. Or, I’ve heard rumblings that Target has Gingerbread Kisses. #mustgoshopping

These are super simple to make – only one bowl for easy clean up. No melting. Just stir, portion, and bake. Easy is the word this time of year, right?

And they’re just pretty. I love that candy cane stripe!

Peppermint Kiss Brownie Bites | crazyforcrust.com | #peppermint

It sort of reminds me of the Gryffindor stripe, but without yellow. Which just makes me sad again… ;)

#harrypotteraddict #TeamGryffindor

Enjoy!

Peppermint Kiss Brownie Bites

Yield: 48 brownie bites

Peppermint Kiss Brownie Bites

• 3/4 cup cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup flour
  • 48 Candy Cane Kisses, unwrapped

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray mini muffin pans with cooking spray.
  2. Stir together oil and sugar. Stir in vanilla, cocoa, and eggs. Slowly stir in salt and flour.
  3. Scoop 1 tablespoon of batter into each muffin cavity. Bake 8-10 minutes, until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs stuck to it.
  4. Immediately upon removing from oven, top with a Candy Cane Hershey’s Kiss (or your favorite Kiss flavor). Do not move your trays until the Kisses have completely hardened. The flavored Kisses are less stable than the regular chocolate ones, so there is a chance some of them will fall slightly, but if you touch the trays they will certainly all fall!
  5. Use the tip of a knife to help you removed cooled bites from pans.

Peppermint Gooey Bars

Peppermint Gooey Bars (7 of 7)w

White Chocolate Peppermint Kiss Blossoms

Triple White Chocolate Peppermint Blossoms by www.crazyforcrust.com | A soft white chocolate pudding cookie with Peppermint Kisses!

Coconut Kiss Brownie Pies (try with any flavor Kiss!)

Coconut-Kiss-Brownie-Pies-4words

Chocolate Mint Kiss Crinkles

chocolate mint kiss crinkles

Peppermint Brownie Bars by Love from the Oven
Peppermint Cheesecake Rice Pudding by Something Swanky
Meringue Hugged Kisses by Pint Sized Baker

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

53 Responses to “Peppermint Kiss Brownie Bites {dairy-free option}”

1. Josi Denise posted on December 3, 2013 at 9:30 am (#)

Hi Dorothy – found you on bloglovin’ – I ADORE your site. So funny, I just made peppermint brownies the other day also! Yours look way better though, yum. Anyway, just signed up for your email list – happy to have found you!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 4th, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Thank you and welcome Josi!!

2. Ruth posted on December 3, 2013 at 11:20 am (#)

Ignoring the immensely yummy brownies bites, you read all 7 HPs in 8 weeks!!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 4th, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Yes, I’m a bit obsessive like that. :) Also, a fast reader. When I read Twilight I *may* have ignored my daughter for a month.

3. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on December 3, 2013 at 11:58 am (#)

These little bites would be gone so fast in my household, they wouldnt know what hit them.

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 4th, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I know! That’s how fast they disappeared at my house. :)

5. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on December 3, 2013 at 12:20 pm (#)

I just saw a bulk bag of these kisses at Target. Seriously my knees buckled! LOL! These look delicious!

6. Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking posted on December 3, 2013 at 2:00 pm (#)

Oh my gosh! My husband and I just watched the last HP movie the other day and had this same conversation! It is never going to feel new again. And let me tell you the amount of times I cried during the last book was ridic!!! I usually go back around Christmas and reread one or two of the books. I am all about mint and chocolate these days too! PS your bark was a huge hit with my family over the weekend. I am definitely adding it to the holiday baking list!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 4th, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I really did start over with #1. I couldn’t find anything else I wanted t read!

7. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on December 3, 2013 at 4:48 pm (#)

I’m so glad you loved the books. My one cat is Harry, the other is Tonks, and there is Ginny dog. Don’t love the hp books at all….hahaha. Love these cookies, but now I want them to make red and yellow colored kisses :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 4th, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Love the names!! And so do I!

8. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on December 3, 2013 at 5:25 pm (#)

I just can’t quit those peppermint kisses! Favorite candy EVER! They’re so addictive, and I am embarrassed to say I have purchased a couple bags this season and have eaten almost all of them rather than baked with them, haha.

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 4th, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I know, I haven’t even opened the mint truffle. I’m procrastinating that one… ha!

9. tanya posted on December 3, 2013 at 5:41 pm (#)

If you have to have an addiction, I’d say peppermint and Hershey Kisses are good ones! These are look too good, I’d probably pop a dozen in mouth throughout the day!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 4th, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Yep. That’s what i try not to do! Ha!

10. Brianna posted on December 3, 2013 at 5:45 pm (#)

These seem like a very good idea.

11. Kathy posted on December 3, 2013 at 6:47 pm (#)

What a great idea! I love chocolate and peppermint together and this sounds so easy!

12. Laurie F. posted on December 3, 2013 at 7:18 pm (#)

Dorothy, a question re your Instagram photo of Tillamook ice cream: is it better than Ben & Jerry’s? My fav is Double Rainbow brand, which is hard to find.

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 4th, 2013 at 6:22 pm

We don’t eat lots of regular ice cream (i.e. not fat-free, ha) but this is so creamy and good! Texture-wise I liked it better than B&J!

13. lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on December 3, 2013 at 7:28 pm (#)

I’m 99% sure that I started sobbing when I finished Harry Potter. And I would read them all over again, but I don’t want to deal with the tragic loss and the grief of saying goodbye to Harry and his friends all over again. Dude. You read them too fast. :)
    These look delicious Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 4th, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I just re-read the end of #7 and started back on #1. I just can’t let go yet!!

14. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on December 3, 2013 at 7:35 pm (#)

These ARE so pretty!!

15. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on December 3, 2013 at 10:23 pm (#)

I love love love the Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses- obsessed. I am just curious if you read the Hunger Games books? I am not much a of reader but you love for Harry Potter is making me question if I should revisit these books!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 4th, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Oh, I love Hunger Games! I just downloaded them on my Kindle too so I can read whenever I want. :)

16. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen posted on December 4, 2013 at 3:59 am (#)

I haven’t read them! Ahhh I can’t believe it. But I have this policy with myself to not start reading an unfinished series because I am terrible at waiting for the next book to come out. So really I just need to sit myself down and attack these now! Maybe my summer project :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 4th, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Yes! All 7 took me about 8 weeks. SOOO good!! Thanks Katrina!

17. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction posted on December 4, 2013 at 6:17 am (#)

I can’t get enough of the peppermint and chocolate combination this time of year! These must be made ASAP!

18. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on December 4, 2013 at 11:26 am (#)

Oh man, I am so addicted to Christmas baking, too. Don’t remind me! That is so thoughtful of you to post an allergy friendly recipe! Definitely sharing this with one of my friends. Love the idea of baking it in mini muffin cups so that the batter won’t spread! I’ll have to try that when subbing in oil vs. butter. Not only are these cute, they sound delicious!

19. Jennie @themessybakerblog posted on December 4, 2013 at 6:02 pm (#)

The end of a book is almost like saying goodbye to a good friend. I always feel lost when I’m finished reading. I plan on starting the series after the current book I’m reading. I’ve heard nothing but good things. These bites are calling my name. Pinned.

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 4th, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Thanks for the pin Jennie! And Harry Potter – sooooo good. Be prepared to be obsessed!

20. sheila @ Sweet Baked Life posted on December 4, 2013 at 7:32 pm (#)

Dorothy — lovin’ these! So cute and am crazy for the peppermint with chocolate!

21. Rebecca @ Dorm Room Baker posted on December 4, 2013 at 10:20 pm (#)

Harry Potter was my childhood! I grew up with the characters so they’re super special to me. I’ve also found the solution to be to go back and reread the books every other year or so, that way I never truly leave the wizarding world! Those peppermint kisses look amazing–I’ll have to get my hands on some before the holiday season ends!

Also, I always feel a bit awkward about this, but #TeamHufflepuff! Yes, I’m a Hufflepuff, please don’t judge me haha.

22. Wendy posted on December 5, 2013 at 7:20 am (#)

Those peppermint kisses add pizzazz to the brownie bites as well as a minty flavor boost! They look so festive and pretty!
    I love books that are series, so that I can keep the characters in my life longer! Have you read the Diana Gabaldon series, “Outlander”? Its adult, not kid/young adult, but I was totally addicted. They are my favorite books of all time (and I thought Harry and The Hunger Games were pretty spectacular). I laughed when I read your comment about ignoring Jordan while you were immersed in reading. Each time a new book to the Outlander series was published my kids would groan that it meant a week of frozen food meals! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 5th, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I read the first one but never continued, why I don’t know. Now that I have my Kindle I need to read them again, so I don’t get carpal tunnel holding them, lol!!

23. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on December 5, 2013 at 1:15 pm (#)

sooooooooooooooooooo yummy!

I totally relate to you about books and feeling lost when a great series is over. the worst.

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 5th, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I know! I’m still in depression. :)

24. Pingback: Christmas Peppermint Dessert Recipes - Un - ComplicateUn – Complicate

25. Amy posted on December 6, 2013 at 9:03 pm (#)

Dorothy, you’re on a roll with cute and festive holiday sweets!! I need to get my hands on a package of those Hershey’s kisses; they look so fun to play with. And chocolate + peppermint? Best wintertime combo ever! (Also coffee + milk + peppermint extract. It’s been my favorite way to doctor up my morning coffee this week!)

26. Gaby posted on December 7, 2013 at 3:52 am (#)

I love this recipe! It sounds super easy, I hope I can find those kisses over here hehe. HP fan too!

27. Pingback: A Bazillion & ONE Christmas Treats! | let the awesomeness begin…

28. Susan posted on December 19, 2013 at 9:06 am (#)

I made the peppermint brownie bites last night and they are delicious! They had to bake a few minutes longer in my oven, and the candy cane kisses do take a very long time to harden after you put them in the brownies, but it’s a super easy recipe and so good. I think the brownies would be excellent by themselves (I may or may not have sampled some of the batter lol)!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 19th, 2013 at 10:26 am

They were good by themselves, I had a few I left without Kisses for my daughter’s friend. I totally need an oven thermometer. I should have asked Santa for one!

29. Marti posted on December 22, 2013 at 4:05 pm (#)

I included these in my brownie round up and “borrowed” your photo….I hope that’s ok!! :)

Marti

30. Pingback: Coconut Sugar Cookie Bars - Crazy for Crust

31. Diane posted on December 13, 2014 at 6:28 pm (#)

Made these for a Christmas party and everyone raved about them!!!!  I was skeptical about no dairy so I used half butter/half oil :-)