Oct 13

Fudgy Oreo Brownies

These Oreo Brownies seriously are my most favorite brownies ever – the fudgy factor alone is worth every calorie.

Oreo Brownies | crazyforcrust.com| Super fudgy and oh so amazing!

Is it “fudgy” or “fudgey”? Google didn’t know, and my spell check doesn’t either.

But then again, my spell check doesn’t know how to spell bundt. Or brownies. Well, sometimes it knows brownies, but not all the time.

So I wouldn’t trust it either way if it said fudgy was a word. Or fudgey. I don’t think it really matters.

What does matter? Is that these brownies are so fudgy that my daughter actually thought they were fudge.

That’s how good they are.

Oreo Brownies | crazyforcrust.com| Super fudgy and oh so amazing!

I am soooooo a fudgy brownie person. I guess there are two camps of people: fudgy and cakey. These are most definitely NOT cakey brownies. These are ultra rich, chocolatey, fudgy brownies.

{Ha! Learned something new about my mac just now: if you stop it from auto-correcting fudgy 10 times in 2 minutes, it stops trying.}

Last week was OBC. I was stressed, crazed, and I neeeeeeeded chocolate. I needed brownies.

Because I can eat an entire pan of brownies in one sitting by myself, I like to add things to bulk them up. Like frosting. Or Oreos. It makes me pause and realize I shouldn’t eat more than half the pan.

I used my favorite brownie recipe. It’s my go-to not-a-box brownie.

They taste better than a box – I promise. And they’re just as easy. I promise! I make them all the time.

These Oreo Brownies are the best yet! | crazyforcrust.com

I made just two changes in my original recipe:

1. I baked them in a 9×9″ pan, so they’re thicker. Thicker = Fudgier.

2. I used Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa. I’ve never used that before. And oh, wow. I’m never using anything else ever again. Who knew a mere 2 tablespoons of dark cocoa could make such a difference?

I really have no words for how good these are. Favorite. Brownies. EVER.

These are one bowl brownies, as long as you have a microwave safe bowl. There are 3 kinds of chocolate, but it’s worth it. And there’s lots of butter. And lots of sugar.

But guess what? They’re lower in fat.

These Oreo Brownies are the best yet! | crazyforcrust.com

I used reduced-fat Oreos. :)

Fudgy Oreo Brownies

Yield: 9 large brownies or 36 bites

Fudgy Oreo Brownies

• 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Special Dark)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 16 Oreos

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Place the two baking chocolates and butter in a large, microwave safe bowl. Heat on HIGH power for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until chocolate is smooth. Stir in sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, and cocoa and stir well. Add flour and stir carefully.
  3. Spread half of batter in prepared pan. Place Oreos evenly over the batter, and top with remaining batter. Bake about 33 minutes, until a toothpick 2 inches from the outside of the pan comes out clean. Let cool before cutting.

Other brownie goodness:

Zucchini Brownies

zucchini brownies

Nutter Butter Truffle Brownies

nutter butter truffle brownies

Caramel Brownie Peanut Butter Cookie Bars

caramel-brownie-peanut-butter-cookie-bars (2 of 5)w

4 ingredient pumpkin toffee brownies by The Sweet Tooth Life
Fudgey Chocolate Chunk Brownies by Something Swanky
Peanut Butter Crunch Black Bean Brownies by TidyMom

81 Responses to “Fudgy Oreo Brownies”

1. Megan I The Emotional Baker posted on October 13, 2013 at 4:03 am (#)

I love fudgy brownies and I bet with oreos they are even better. Can’t wait to try these!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 13th, 2013 at 3:09 pm

The Oreos certainly take them over the top!

2. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on October 13, 2013 at 5:10 am (#)

Fudgy, fudgey – whatever they are, they look divine! :)

3. Tieghan posted on October 13, 2013 at 5:30 am (#)

My spell check is HORRIBLE! LOL! It knows nothing. Nothing!
    I never know if it id fudgy or fudgey either, Who the heck really cares. These brownies look SO good!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 13th, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Our computers obviously went to school together, lol! :) Thanks Tieghan!

4. Rochelle @ Oh So Sweet Baker posted on October 13, 2013 at 6:27 am (#)

Who really cares how fudgy is spelt. As long as brownies are exactly that I’m game!

5. LoverOfAnythingChocolate posted on October 13, 2013 at 6:45 am (#)

These look awesome, I LOVE fudgy (according to dictionary.com, it’s not even a word, LOL! Someone invented it, but i like spelling it as “fudgy”) brownies! And does it make a difference if I use just normal unsweetened cocoa powder? Thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 13th, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Websters needs to get on it then! :) You can totally use normal cocoa powder, the chocolate just won’t be as deep. They’ll still be fudgy and amazing!

6. Stephanie @ Back For Seconds posted on October 13, 2013 at 8:28 am (#)

I always spell it fudgy, but maybe it’s one of those words that’s not really a word. I don’t care, anything fudgy is a winner in my book! These look wonderful. Obviously.

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 13th, 2013 at 3:07 pm

TOTALLY. Thanks Stephanie, and thanks for the pin!

• Shantel Hayes replied on March 25th, 2014 at 2:27 pm

I tried it to I had the same reaction you did:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

7. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on October 13, 2013 at 9:20 am (#)

Oooh girl! Best brownies EVER! And fudgy can be spelled however you want it as long as it looks like this :) Pinned!

9. Julie @ This Gal Cooks posted on October 13, 2013 at 9:32 am (#)

Spell check could use a lesson on spelling, am I right?! If Google didn’t know how to spell it either than I say you are A Ok! :)

These look amazing, Dorothy. How creative to put the Oreo cookies in the middle!

10. Emily @ Life on Food posted on October 13, 2013 at 11:07 am (#)

These look pretty darn fantastic. I am recently obsessed with Oreos. I think I need one or two of these in my life.

11. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on October 13, 2013 at 11:46 am (#)

I like my brownies rare, as in so gooey, they’re barely cooked. Of course, those are for the nights when you and the fam are going to eat them hot straight out of the pan while watching junk TV. But fudgy is definitely my game, and these look awesome. I’m still so sad that I couldn’t participate in OBC. I hope there will be a next time.

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 13th, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Yes! Rare! I like that description. The gooier the better. I like re-heating these so they get even meltier. :)

• Shantel Hayes replied on March 25th, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I loooveeed it awesome:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

12. Jenn@eatcakefordinner posted on October 13, 2013 at 12:39 pm (#)

These look ooey, gooey and delicious! Thanks for OBC – you guys did an awesome job picking out topics and hosts. I’m still not finished reading through everything, but so far lots of good info.

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 13th, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Thanks Jenn! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

13. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on October 13, 2013 at 1:14 pm (#)

I used fudgy as opposed to fudgey. One less letter to type :)

And does anyone like cakey brownies? I really don’t think so from what I can tell. Dry and airy vs. dense and rich and like eating a slab of fudge. Ummm…no comparison.

And yes to baking Oreos into them. I’m a fan as often as possible!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 13th, 2013 at 3:06 pm

LOL, I would hope not. A cakey brownie is just…cake! :)

14. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on October 13, 2013 at 2:01 pm (#)

Spell check hates me and the word “fudgy” – thats okay, who is it to judge me when I get fudgy brownies? These look right up my alley and I love love love that you used reduced fat Oreos because I totally laughed out loud when I read that. :) I almost always use dark cocoa powder, but one time, my dad thought I had burnt the entire pan, the brownies were so dark … I’ve used half and half (regular cocoa and dark) since then;) I wish I could have some right now, they look like they would win my chocoholic heart over in a second!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 13th, 2013 at 3:05 pm

They are so chocolatey and good! I’ll have to try mixing them, this is my first time using the dark chocolate!

15. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on October 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm (#)

Hershey’s special dark is my favorite!! And I love the use of low fat in these brownies :)

16. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on October 13, 2013 at 4:36 pm (#)

I am totally a fudgy brownie person. Also love chocolate and haven’t been getting enough lately. Need one of these ASAP!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 13th, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Never. Enough. Chocolate!

17. Rachel @thedessertchronicles posted on October 13, 2013 at 4:48 pm (#)

just found your site and I love it! Always looking to follow more dessert blogs! and I am excited to try this brownie recipe because I am forever on the search for the perfect from scratch brownie

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 13th, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Enjoy Rachel! And welcome!

18. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on October 13, 2013 at 5:29 pm (#)

Seriouuuusly–these are SOOOO fudgy!!!! I am dying over here!

19. Mom posted on October 13, 2013 at 6:17 pm (#)

I think it’s just “fudge brownies” unless they are “fudgier”…?? lol
    btw, these are great (even after being frozen)!!
    xoxo

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 13th, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Especially when you remember they’re in the freezer and heat them in the microwave… (BTW, I’m pretending you took half the pan, mmkay? Because they’re all gone and I was the only one to eat the rest…)

20. Amy posted on October 13, 2013 at 9:57 pm (#)

Dorothy, you are SO cute with your reduced-fat oreos! I think that all brownies should be fudgy. Cakey brownies are just… Well, chocolate cake squares without the frosting. Not brownies!

My Mac does the same thing! I decided it’s “fudgy,” but it still needs to learn brownies. And bundt. (So does my phone — it doesn’t believe “bundt” is a word either.)

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 14th, 2013 at 6:37 pm

It must be a mac thing. So funny!

21. Maura - Yellow lemon tree posted on October 14, 2013 at 2:41 am (#)

Ok, this must be heaven! Wooo

22. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on October 14, 2013 at 5:30 am (#)

I don’t care how it’s spelled, just get it in my face! These look ridiculously good!!!! I love how fudge-y they look!!!

23. Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff posted on October 14, 2013 at 5:43 am (#)

As long as they taste fudgy/fudgey … that’s all that matters … your photos are the proof … they are fudgy!

24. Kathy posted on October 14, 2013 at 10:18 am (#)

Now these are my kind of brownies! These look incredible Dorothy!

25. Leslie posted on October 14, 2013 at 12:39 pm (#)

Hi Dorothy. Do you know of any reason why I couldn’t use a variety of flavoured sandwich cookies: peanut butter, or maple, etc? As long as they have the icing-type middle, I was hoping the cookie could lend itself to variations. Thank you.

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 14th, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I think you could use any cookie you wanted! Totally great for variations. Maple? YES!

26. alex posted on October 14, 2013 at 8:40 pm (#)

fudgy is the only way to go! I love oreos in brownies..can never have enough chocolate!

27. Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies posted on October 15, 2013 at 7:29 am (#)

I’m totally with you… fudgy beats cakey any day, and the Special Dark Cocoa powder is THE STUFF. It’s so good! I love that you used Oreos in these, too. What a great treat!

28. Shawn @ I Wash You Dry posted on October 15, 2013 at 12:56 pm (#)

The fudgier the better!! These look so good Dorothy!!

29. Nancy @ gottagetbaked posted on October 17, 2013 at 10:03 pm (#)

Mmmmm….fudgy. I can’t stand cakey brownies so these look like perfection to me, especially with the Oreo cookies in the middle!

30. Michele @ Flavor Mosaic posted on October 18, 2013 at 10:22 am (#)

I vote for fudgey vs cakey also. These look awesome! I’m pinning these to my cookings / bars board.

31. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on October 19, 2013 at 8:25 pm (#)

Yes!! I love that you used Special Dark! That stuff is amazing. Cakey brownies ain’t got nothin’ on fudgy brownies. (I am convinced that it is spelled this way because that’s how it’s spelled on the Betty Crocker box and Betty knows all!)

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 20th, 2013 at 3:47 pm

That must be where I got it!! :) Thanks Katie!

32. Pingback: Fudgy Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies {Win a $500 Amazon Gift Card!} - Crazy for Crust

33. Pingback: Oreo Brownies | Food Blogger Mania

34. Julie posted on December 7, 2013 at 5:47 am (#)

isit okay if i use baking paper instead of aluminium foil?

35. Pingback: My 15 favorite recipes of 2013 - Crazy for Crust

36. Pingback: Lecker Schmecker: Fudgy Oreo Brownies | Journal of the Journeys

37. Pingback: Mini Brownie Football Pies - Crazy for Crust

38. Pingback: One Bowl Brownies with Almond Joy Bars - Crazy for Crust

39. Pingback: Super Bowl Party Desserts | cakeland.org

40. Pingback: Turtle Brownies - Crazy for Crust

41. Pingback: BAKING. | It Goes On.

42. Wendy posted on March 14, 2014 at 9:43 am (#)

Your blogger get-together sounds like so much fun, Dorothy! There really is nothing like talking with others who really “get it” ! Extra big bonus that the husbands and kids get along as well. :) I would love to attend a gathering like that in St. Louis. As for these brownie bites…..You reeled me in with Cookies ‘n Cream Kisses (who knew?!) but I fell in love with the Mini-Oreos on the bottom!

43. Pingback: Mexican Brownies - Crazy for Crust

44. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cup Brownies with Oreo Crust - Crazy for Crust

45. Jeannie posted on September 18, 2014 at 8:20 am (#)

I just baked these brownies. Absolutely delicious. Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe.

46. SaraLily posted on October 21, 2014 at 10:51 am (#)

OMG! Just use Halloween or Christmas Oreos and BOOM instant holiday dessert! Hmm…me thinks I know what I am bringing home for the holidays!

47. Pingback: Frosted Oreo Brownies!! | Hungry Holly Runs

48. Doreen posted on October 28, 2014 at 6:11 am (#)

Hi! Can I use semi sweet chocolate chips instead of the baking chocolate? It’s what I have now in the pantry and I can’t wait to bake this!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 28th, 2014 at 6:45 am

I’ve never tried it, but I’m pretty sure it will work!

49. Sydney Sun posted on October 29, 2014 at 3:22 pm (#)

These look so good, I am also a fan of the fudgy factor. Check out my Oreo Brownies recipe on my blog For the Love of Baking!

Sydney Sun