Jul 29

Chocolate Avocado Truffles

A healthier truffle? Yes it can be done! These Chocolate Avocado Truffles are made with no cream – just chocolate and avocado!

Chocolate Avocado Truffles by crazyforcrust.com | Just as rich and indulgent as a regular truffle, with less fat and calories!

I went zip-lining last weekend, at the California State Fair. Mel and I have been wanting to do it forever, and I finally conquered my fear and did it.

I must say, paying my fee, putting on the harness, and climbing the scaffolding stairs was pretty easy. Taming the lions in my stomach when I stepped outside that gate was a little harder!

The guy at the top was like a wizard with clipping: he was clipping everyone in and out so fast, it was hard to believe he wouldn’t make a mistake. Every single motion was fluid, and the same for everyone, which calmed me. I figured he probably went to school and got a degree in zip-line hook-ups. He must have had to perform 10,000 of practice work before being allowed to actually let loose on people hundreds of feet in the air above the fried Oreo stand.

Or, that’s what I told myself. To make me think he wasn’t just a carnie…

Anyway, he told me on the count of three to run and jump off the platform. The look I gave him must have been a good one, because he looked at me with a funny smile, a look of concern, and asked if I was okay.

Run and jump? Sure. More like walk and step. In case you’ve never zip-lined, the first step is a doozey.

It’s probably better if, when you step off the platform, you remember you’re harnessed in. So that, for a split second before you remember to sit back, you are holding on for dear life with your arms giving out and thinking “Oh <expletive> my arms aren’t strong enough to hold me an I’m gonna die!”

So yeah, if you remember the harness from the beginning, you can just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

The look on my face at the other end was a good one too. I also got a look of concern and an “are you okay??”

I made it to the other side, alive and still wearing my flip flops. I was perfectly fine. As long as I didn’t have to stand on my own. Whatever.

It was a blast. I can’t wait to do it again…hopefully at a resort in Mexico or somewhere tropical next summer. I’m kind of proud of myself for conquering that fear.

Another fear I’ve conquered over an over again? Avocados.

Granted, avocados are not on the same realm of zip-lining. But, if you’re picky like me, trying something new is a pretty big fear. You all are well aware of my avocado obsession at this point. And while I love adding avocado to all my dinners and a lot of my desserts, my new favorite thing to do with the green wonder is to make my desserts healthier with it.

Did you know you can substitute avocado for butter? Sure, avocados still have calories and fat, but the fats are much better than in butter or oil. I made my Healthier Chocolate Gooey Cake Bars with no butter. And I’ve edited the recipe for my Avocado Banana Bread – I remade it as muffins with no butter and it was just as delish as the original.

Next reinvention? Truffles.

I love truffles, and not just at the holidays. I can eat them all year. When I’m in the mood for rich chocolate, a truffle hits the spot. Have you ever made truffles? Super easy: the normal recipe is just chocolate and heavy cream, and flavoring like vanilla. But heavy cream is humongo fattening, right? I mean, it’s got heavy in the name.

I decided to see if truffles could be made without heavy cream, by subbing avocado. And guess what? They can. One small avocado, blended in the food processor and added to a cup of semi-sweet morsels firms up just like ganache. I forgot to add vanilla to mine, but the avocado citrusy flavor added that extra taste you expect from a truffle. I’ve noted in the recipe that you can add a little vanilla, if you like. I would next time because I’m a vanilla freak, but without they’re just fine.

You can do so much with the outside of the truffles: dip them in chocolate, roll them in powdered sugar, cocoa, coconut, nuts, sprinkles…the ideas are infinite. I went simple with these: just an easy roll in chocolate sprinkles. I think they turned out pretty beautifully.

It’s a good thing that the Avocados from Mexico avocado trees bloom four times a year. That’s a lot of healthy fat to go around. It’s really amazing to me how one little avocado can do so many things!

It’s like the superhero of fruit. Cape, tights, and all!

Have you conquered your fear of baking with avocados? What do you like to make?

Chocolate Avocado Truffles

Yield: About 10 truffles

Chocolate Avocado Truffles

A rich chocolate truffle with less fat and calories thanks to a secret ingredient: avocado!

• 1 small avocado (just under 1/2 cup mashed)
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (use a good brand; I like Ghiradelli or Guittard)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • Sprinkles, cocoa, powdered sugar, or coconut for rolling

1. Place avocado in a food processor and blend until smooth. Meanwhile, add chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl and melt for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Once chocolate is melted and smooth, stir in avocado and vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least a few hours. (I forgot to add the vanilla in mine, but they were still good! Do what you'd prefer.)
  2. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. Place sprinkles in a dish for rolling. You can also use cocoa powder, powdered sugar, or sweetened coconut, if you prefer. Use whatever you would cover regular truffles in! Use a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop balls of the chocolate mixture. Roll into even sized balls. Roll in topping, place back on cookie sheet. Chill until ready to serve.

Connect with Avocados from Mexico:
Website / Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest

Other healthier options you might like:

Avocado Banana Bread

avocado-banana-bread (5 of 5)w

Healthier Chocolate Gooey Cake Bars

healthier-chocolate-gooey-cake-bars (4 of 6)w

Skinny Chocolate Muffins

Skinny-chocolate-muffins11-1w

Skinny Frozen Hot Chocolate Cupcakes by Something Swanky
The Best Vegan Blueberry Muffins by Averie Cooks
Dark Chocolate Flourless Avocado Brownies by Heather’s French Press

100 Responses to “Chocolate Avocado Truffles”

1. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on July 29, 2013 at 4:56 pm (#)

That’s so cool!! Ziplining sounds like soooo much fun!!!

I can’t believe how great these truffles look and they’re made with avocadoes??! so cool!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 29th, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Thanks Kayle!

2. Heather @ French Press posted on July 29, 2013 at 5:00 pm (#)

oh my! these look amazing! I really wish I had an avocado at home

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 29th, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I know, I’m out. I’m jonesing!

3. Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat posted on July 29, 2013 at 5:02 pm (#)

Oooooh…this sound amazing! I must make these asap!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 29th, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Thanks Holly!

4. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on July 29, 2013 at 5:03 pm (#)

What an awesome recipe Dorothy! Congrats on the fear conquering. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 29th, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Thanks Aimee!

5. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on July 29, 2013 at 6:37 pm (#)

Okay, I think you know my obsession with avocados . . . however, I’m also obsessed with cute and healthy and these are all of the above! Home run on these! And, kudos to you for ziplining – I really enjoy it ONCE I get out there. The whole process before that is uh, mentally painful:) These would make it so much better!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:37 am

Yes, totally. The before is not fun, the during is awesome. Thanks!!

6. Jennie @themessybakerblog posted on July 29, 2013 at 6:57 pm (#)

I betcha that look was priceless. Zip-lining looks thrilling from afar. I would have needed several of these truffles after the adventure. You know, tokens for a conquered fear.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:36 am

Totally. If we hadn’t been with the kids I would have headed straight to the beer garden. ;)

7. Tahnycooks posted on July 29, 2013 at 7:08 pm (#)

I think conquering a fear is one of life’s greatest accomplishments, CONGRATS!

This recipe is stellar! I’m so intrigued by these! Yum!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:36 am

Thank you!! :)

8. Stephanie posted on July 29, 2013 at 7:09 pm (#)

You should totally be proud of yourself – conquering a fear like that is no joke! I’ve never tried zip lining and I’m willing to bet I’d be giving some good looks myself up on the platform.

These truffles look amazing. I’ve been meaning to try making some healthier desserts with avocado and this is the last straw – I gotta try it!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:36 am

Thanks Stephanie! I love using the avocado to make dessert healthier…then I can eat more, lol!

9. Tieghan posted on July 29, 2013 at 7:50 pm (#)

I have always wanted to go zip lining!! It sounds so fun! Congrats on pushing through your fear and just doing it! Yay!

Ok now, these truffles? AMAZING! The photos and the four ingredients are perfect!! Such gorgeous truffles!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:35 am

I know! Super simple. I love recipes with just a few ingredients!

10. Laura R posted on July 29, 2013 at 7:54 pm (#)

Yay for you for overcoming your fears!! I have such a fear of falling, I’m not sure I could take that first step/jump. I have trouble stepping onto a down escalator! And I’m not a fan of avocado, but I am a Super fan of truffles so I may just have to give these a try because they look oh so yummy.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:35 am

Me too! That first step was HARD! Thanks Laura!

11. Amy posted on July 29, 2013 at 9:27 pm (#)

Dorothy, you’re so creative!! And super brave. I’d never thought about zip-lining before, but after your description… I’d really like to keep my feet on solid ground, thanks! ;) And trying new foods too?? You’re superwoman! I’m allergic to avocado, but my guy loves them. He’ll take any extras off of your hands!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:34 am

Allergic? Boo!

12. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on July 29, 2013 at 10:19 pm (#)

WOW these are just gorgeous!! And healthy too, I love it! Nice job ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:34 am

Thanks so much Kristi!

13. Nabeela posted on July 30, 2013 at 12:14 am (#)

These look lovely! I have never used avocado in a sweet dessert recipe but this looks so easy and delicious! I have half an avocado left from last night, and I might just try making these today!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:33 am

They really are great in sweet desserts! You barely taste them, and they’re great for cutting saturated fat!

14. Natalie @ Lift,Sleep, Eat posted on July 30, 2013 at 2:52 am (#)

Oh yum these look really good! I think I may have to give them a go! I love using avocado in sweet recipes :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:33 am

Thanks Natalie!

15. Ashley posted on July 30, 2013 at 3:21 am (#)

I really need to start using avocados in more creative ways! I usually just put it on toast or sandwiches haha These sound pretty awesome!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:33 am

I am loving the health benefits – being able to cut down on butter/oil/cream! :)

16. Jamie @lifelovelemons posted on July 30, 2013 at 4:31 am (#)

Love the avocado in the truffles!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:32 am

Thanks Jamie!

17. tanya posted on July 30, 2013 at 5:25 am (#)

Good for you Dorothy!!! I don’t think I could’ve done it, I am way to chicken!! But I’m not afraid to try different foods and these are now high on my list!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:32 am

Thanks Tanya!! I bet you could, I’m such a big chicken!

18. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on July 30, 2013 at 5:38 am (#)

Yay for zip-lining! I’m scared of heights, so I’ve never been, but it looks like so much fun! I’m sure my facial expressions would also elicit concern from others ;)

These truffles look awesome – I love that they’re healthier! Avocado is like a miracle fruit, I tell ya :) (ok, and I totally just looked up to make sure that avocados were fruit and not vegetables…because I got all nervous that I was wrong! ;) )

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:32 am

Ha! I had to look that up too!!! I can’t believe I did it, heights freak me out!

19. Martha@A Family Feast posted on July 30, 2013 at 8:33 am (#)

We’ve been on an avocado kick all summer but I haven’t used them in any desserts! Gotta try these soon – they look wonderful! Hope your knees have stopped shaking by now… :-)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:28 pm

LOL, it took awhile for the shaking to stop, that’s for sure! :)

20. Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies posted on July 30, 2013 at 8:58 am (#)

These look totally amazing! Bonus points, because if you pick your chocolate wisely, these end up being vegan. Vegan = extra super healthy food. Right? Good.

21. Bobbilynne posted on July 30, 2013 at 12:09 pm (#)

These look amazing! I’ll have to try with a dusting of cocoa powder…or ooh, toasted coconut! I have an aversion to chocolate sprinkles ever since we bought the ice cream shop. We (obvs) did a deep cleaning of the building before we opened, and like any building that’s been unoccupied for 7 months, there was a fair amount of rat droppings in the nooks & crannies. BUT–while cleaning out a bunch of expired food, we also accidentally dropped a HUGE box of chocolate sprinkles all over the floor. So for the next two weeks while cleaning up I kept having to quote Baby Mama: “Is that chocolate or poop????”

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:38 pm

LOL! I was using chocolate sprinkles again today as a decoration and backdrop and OMG they go everywhere. And they look like ants. *shudder* So I get your aversion! Coconut and cocoa would be amazing. :)

22. Ashley posted on July 30, 2013 at 12:30 pm (#)

Very cool. Your photographs are always gorgeous!

~Ashley (A Cute Angle)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Thank you Ashley!

23. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on July 30, 2013 at 1:01 pm (#)

I love all your hidden healthy recipes recently! Such great ideas! These too sound great!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Thanks Lindsay!

24. Sara {Home is Where the Cookies Are} posted on July 30, 2013 at 1:09 pm (#)

Oooo yeah. Of course I had to pop over and check these out when I saw them on FG. You can bet I’m going to try these! I was just telling my 7 yr. old little guy that we need to revamp our sweets menu to almost everything homemade, instead of keeping a stash of store bought anything on hand. They would go bonkers over something like this. And I will NEVER tell them they’re made with avocado!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Yes! It’s my favorite sneaky food. I tell her AFTER she loves it. Bwahahaha!

25. maria s posted on July 30, 2013 at 2:22 pm (#)

This is fantastic! I’ve made a chocolate avocado mousse before but never made them into truffles. I’ve done other nut butter truffles though. I’ve been on your blog a couple of times and if you had some time I’d love for you to check out mine too (www.happybelly.org.uk) it’s also a lot of healthy recipes :)

26. Erin | The Emerging Foodie posted on July 30, 2013 at 5:58 pm (#)

Wow, what a great idea! And so simple, too. I definitely want to try these. Loved your story, too. I’m glad you conquered your fear! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Thanks Erin!!

27. Stephanie @ Back For Seconds posted on July 30, 2013 at 6:53 pm (#)

What an awesome way to make truffle more healthy!! I heart avocados and totally need to try these…once I can keep food down again, that is :/

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Ugh, I’m so sorry Stephanie! Soon, I hope!

28. Lyuba@willcookforsmiles posted on July 30, 2013 at 7:13 pm (#)

That sounds really good, Dorothy! Box (or two) please! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Thanks Lyuba!

29. lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on July 30, 2013 at 7:44 pm (#)

I heart zip lining!! I did in Canada in the mountains (like where they had the Olympics). And it was all super safe and secure. And then I did it in Mexico, and my break was a stick with a hook in it . . . ummmm . . . say what now? These look amazing Dorothy!

30. Kristen posted on July 30, 2013 at 8:30 pm (#)

I went zip lining last summer for the first time and loved it and hated it all at once. They dropped the floor out from under us though, like a hatch. I would have NEVER been able to actually step off the platform. Would have been terrified!
    These little balls are brilliant – what a great use of my favorite food!

31. Emily posted on July 30, 2013 at 10:20 pm (#)

Made these tonight and my family loves them! I lightly dusted them in powered sugar. Thanks for the recipe! It was so easy!

32. Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom posted on July 31, 2013 at 7:39 am (#)

oh my goodness! I love these! can’t wait to try this recipe. . and wow, no butter or cream?! love this! I’ve made avocado brownies so can’t wait to try these truffles! yum!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 31st, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Enjoy! Thanks Alice!!

33. Lyuba@willcookforsmiles posted on July 31, 2013 at 11:58 am (#)

Do you mind if I use it for a food fight?

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 31st, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Use away! Thanks Lyuba!

34. Pingback: White Chocolate Raspberry Blonde Bars & FOOD FIGHT! - Will Cook For Smiles

35. Recipes Gawker posted on August 2, 2013 at 8:53 am (#)

Hello,

We showcase Mouthwatering Collection of World’s Best Recipes to our readers daily and would like to invite you to join our food community and let you to feature your best recipes on our website.
    Want to know more? Please Visit http://recipesgawker.com/

Regards
    Recipes Gawker Team

36. Pingback: Time to Sparkle #21 - Inside BruCrew Life

37. Pingback: Time to Sparkle Link Party #21 | The Recipe Critic

38. Pingback: Time To Sparkle Link Party #21 | The Gunny Sack

39. Sarah @ Miss Candiquik posted on August 6, 2013 at 7:30 am (#)

I am so jealous! Zip-lining through a rainforest in Brazil (or somewhere) is on my bucket list! I do have a fear of heights but I think I’d be ok…hah. I have never tried baking with avocados but I’ll take your word on it and give it a go!!! All of your recipes made with it look amazing! Not to mention, that means I can eat that much more because it’s “the good fat”!. Thanks for sharing (beautiful photos)!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2013 at 6:37 pm

You must! They are so versatile!

40. Jelli posted on August 6, 2013 at 8:03 am (#)

These look perfect! I love making truffles, though admittedly haven’t done it for more than a year or so, but healthy truffles? Count me IN!! Already pinned these and will be sharing the link on my site sometime soon. Thank you so much for sharing, Dororthy. I’m so glad I stumbled upon these from the Time to Sparkle party this week. Hope you and your family have a spectacular week.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Thanks for the pin!!

41. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on August 6, 2013 at 12:10 pm (#)

Good for you for conquering that fear! Wan’t it such a blast flying along? I have done it twice now and it was much easier the second time to do the running jump off the platform. Although I don’t recommend flip flops :-) Now these truffles…I know I would love them given my love of avocado and chocolate together. And your pics are killer girl!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I know! I had no idea I’d be doing it, or I would’ve brought shoes!

42. Lisa @ Je suis alimentageuse posted on August 8, 2013 at 3:32 pm (#)

I know this comment is a little late, but I’m just catching up on all my missed bloglovin posts right now hehe. I LOVE adding avocados to dessert! Avocados probably rank up there with my love for lemons. P.S. I am loving the photos for this post! The different plays with DoF are great =) What lens(es) are you using for these shots?

43. Emi Sumpman posted on August 9, 2013 at 6:55 am (#)

Could they be frozen?

44. Carolyn posted on August 10, 2013 at 3:22 am (#)

Okay, totally love these! I need to try making a low carb version. Oh and the ziplining, the look you gave the guy? Yeah, that’s the same look I gave when I was first rock-climbing and needed to repel down a sheer cliff face. They told me to just lean back over the edge of the cliff…yeah.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 11th, 2013 at 7:19 am

LOL! I can’t even imagine doing that! You’re much braver than me!

45. Dominique posted on August 26, 2013 at 10:54 am (#)

The chocolate avocado truffles sound so good and they look so pretty covered in jimmies! I’ll be pinning these so I can try them soon.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 26th, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Thanks so much! Enjoy!

46. Pingback: Oh So Yummy » Chocolate Avocado Truffles

47. Pingback: Raw Chocolate Balls | michellealice

48. Pingback: Chocolate Avocado Truffles |

49. Tien Ho posted on December 31, 2013 at 8:11 am (#)

Thanks for this great job!!!!! How long can I leave these truffles at room temperature?

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 31st, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I kept them in the fridge for storing, but depending on how warm it is, a few hours or longer. Once they start to soften, I’d refrigerate them for a bit to firm back up!

50. Pingback: Healthier Avocado Chocolate Brownies – Kerry Cooks

51. Pingback: 20 Light and Healthy Recipes - your homebased mom

52. Pingback: Chocolate Truffle Cake Roll {$500 Tiffany Giveaway} - Crazy for Crust

53. Pingback: Mexican Chocolate Truffles - Crazy for Crust

54. Pingback: How To Dip Candy and Truffles Video Tutorial - Crazy for Crust

55. Kelly posted on February 7, 2014 at 6:46 pm (#)

Those chocolate balls look amazing!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

56. Mila posted on February 22, 2014 at 12:24 am (#)

Hi Dorothy,
    The Chocolate Avocado Truffles were the best truffles I’ve eaten without worrying about all that sugar.
    I love truffles and came across your recipe while looking for chocolate bundt cake recipe, yet truffles what I ended up making, coated with shredded coconut!!
    I enede up reading your blog because I noticed that your pictures were well composed (I just took digital photo class) and it pays off to have DSLR camera and know how to use it! Definitely attracted me.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Thanks Mila! I’m so glad you liked them. I love, love these truffles too, and with coconut I bet they are amazing!

57. Pingback: Eggs & Avocado on Toast

58. Pingback: HI! absolutely in love with your tumblr. | VeganBlog.org

60. Pingback: 85 Chocolate Lover's Recipes | Chef in Training

61. Kiersten posted on May 15, 2014 at 12:56 pm (#)

Even though I don’t think they would last too long in my house, typically how long do these last in the fridge?

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 16th, 2014 at 4:46 am

I think about 4 days! Enjoy!

62. Pingback: vegan chocolate avocado truffles-I bake he shoots

63. Pingback: When chocolate and avocado combine, something wonderfully magical happens – YUM! | atypical_ways

64. Pingback: When chocolate and avocado combine, something wonderfully magical happens – 10 Great Recipes! | atypical_ways