Apr 30

Sweet Guacamole Dip with Pie Crust Tortilla Chips

Perfect for Cinco de Mayo, this Sweet Guacamole Dip will satisfy your sweet tooth and curb your avocado craving at the same time!

Sweet-Guacamole-Dip01w

Don’t run screaming. Please! You don’t want to miss this.

Really, if you’ve followed my blog at all, you know how nuts I am for avocado. I am addicted to that green goodness! If given the opportunity, I would eat avocados every single day. I’d eat them on toast, on quesadillas, and with my dessert.

Yes. I said “dessert” and “avocado” in the same sentence.

Before you wrinkle your nose at me, I need to assure you: it doesn’t taste like regular guacamole. There are no onions, no tomatoes, and no garlic. No salsa or cilantro.

Avocado-as-dessert tastes like citrus. Not quite lemon, not quite orange. Just…like citrus. And believe me, I know. I’ve made Avocado Frosting, Avocado Popsicles, and Avocado Whipped Cream.

All of them were amazing.

This? This is better.

Sweet-Guacamole-Dip06-2w

Why? Well, because it’s filled with cream cheese and sugar, for one.

For two, it’s served with Pie Crust Chips. Yes, you read that right. Pie Crust Chips. I took a refrigerated pie crust and sliced them into triangles, sprinkled them with sugar, and baked them. Then I sprinkled them with a little cinnamon sugar I had left over from those Sopapilla Cheesecake Hand Pies.

Seriously, people. I ate my weight in those chips. With and without the dip.

The key to using avocado in a Sweet Guacamole Dip is making sure it’s pureed all the way. Use your food processor, or mash it a lot with a potato masher. The food processor is my first choice, because it’s also wonderful at getting the cream cheese really smooth. Once the powdered sugar and vanilla are added you’ll want to lick the bowl, believe me.

Plus, avocado = healthy, right? So, this is a healthy dip. {Just let me keep believing that, mmkay?}

I urge you to use really fresh avocados in your dip. Mine was a little past it’s prime, and it browned by the next day. Serve this the same day for best results, but when I made all three of the other avocado recipes, the freshness of the avocados kept it green for days in the refrigerator. Just something to keep in mind when shopping for your ingredients.

This will wow your friends at your Cinco de Mayo party, believe me. And if id doesn’t, well. Boo to them, but yay for you, because you’ll get it all to yourself!

Sweet-Guacamole-Dip11-3w

You must try avocados as dessert. Seriously, you will not be disappointed. If my daughter can eat green dessert and like it, then you can too!

How do you eat your avocados?

Sweet Guacamole Dip

For the Chips:
  • 1 refrigerated pie crust
  • Cooking spray (butter flavored preferred)
  • Granulated sugar
  • For the Guacamole
  • 1 medium California avocado
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (low-fat is okay)
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Unroll pie crust onto a cutting board. Cut into about 6-7 slices, then cut each slice into squares. Cut the squares into triangles, so you have pieces resembling tortilla chips. Place evenly on cookie sheet, being careful not to overlap them.
  3. Spray “chips” lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake for about 8 minutes, until they begin to get golden. Remove from oven and sprinkle with a little more sugar. (You can also use cinnamon sugar if you have it.)
  4. To make the dip, place the cream cheese and flesh of the avocado in a food processor. Pulse until smooth. (If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a potato masher and then a hand blender.) Add powdered sugar and vanilla and pulse until the dip comes together.
  5. Serve the dip alongside the chips for a sweet Cinco de Mayo treat!

Other yum:

Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwiches

Chicken-Avocado-Salad-Sandwiches (3 of 4)w

Avocado Popsicles

avocado popsicles 3 words

Avocado Chip Ice Cream by Inside BruCrew Life
French Silk Pie Dip by Something Swanky
Margarita Cupcakes by The Kitchen is My Playground

“Join I Wash… You Dry and Southern Fairytale for the California Avocado Cinco de Mayo Recipe Fiesta, sponsored by the California Avocado Commission.”

75 Responses to “Sweet Guacamole Dip with Pie Crust Tortilla Chips”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on April 30, 2013 at 2:41 am (#)

Pie crust chips sound wonderful. And I have quite a few sweet avocado recipes…raw vegan chocolate mousse, banana-avo ice cream, chocolate frosting – and yes, it totally can work. It’s buttery and creamy and so good!

2. tanya posted on April 30, 2013 at 3:33 am (#)

I have neer had avocados in anything but savory dishes! But I love, love, love avocados and I trust you, so I will give this a try! I love the creativity! Seriously! A fun way to try avocados!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 30th, 2013 at 6:19 am

You will love it, I promise!! :) Thanks Tanya!

3. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on April 30, 2013 at 4:59 am (#)

Sounds delicious to me!!!!

4. Tieghan posted on April 30, 2013 at 5:12 am (#)

Whoa Girl! The pie crust chips sound awesome and I bet the are the perfect dipper to the sweet dip! YUM!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 30th, 2013 at 6:18 am

And I’ve been dipping them in everything since… :)

5. Tonia@thegunnysack posted on April 30, 2013 at 5:29 am (#)

I don’t know if I believe you! ;) I’ve got to try an avocado on the sweet side of things!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 30th, 2013 at 6:18 am

Trust me! It’s so good! :)

6. Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat posted on April 30, 2013 at 6:03 am (#)

Wow! My husband and I love guacamole, but I’ve never heard of sweet guacamole! This is so cool! I’ve got to give this one a try! I also love the fact that you make the chips out of pie crust…such a great idea!

7. Rachel Cooks posted on April 30, 2013 at 6:23 am (#)

Loving this! Can’t wait to experiment!

8. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on April 30, 2013 at 6:39 am (#)

I almost made a pie crust last night when I had trouble sleeping… I wish I did so I could make those chips! They sound amazing!

9. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on April 30, 2013 at 6:48 am (#)

Too cute for words. Lookat your with your sweet guac and your chips made of pie dough!

10. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on April 30, 2013 at 6:48 am (#)

Ok, I’m intrigued for sure! I like avocado, but I don’t know if I’m ready to love ;) I think I’ve gotta expand my horizons and try this!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 30th, 2013 at 1:23 pm

It’s good, I promise! :) Thanks Jennifer!

11. Meg @ Sweet Twist posted on April 30, 2013 at 7:05 am (#)

I am an avocado nut as well. Sounds really cool.

12. lisa@cookingwithcurls posted on April 30, 2013 at 7:28 am (#)

It is amazing how versatile an avocado is! I made brownies last year for a contest not knowing how it would actually turn out, they were amazing. If you look at it as a fruit it makes sense :) I will definitely have to try this one!!!

13. Dana posted on April 30, 2013 at 8:29 am (#)

This sounds interesting. I’d totally give it a whirl. And pie crust chips? amaze-balls!

14. Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies posted on April 30, 2013 at 8:35 am (#)

This is SO creative and sounds great! Avocados always remind me of much more delicious bananas, so I can see them playing nice in this dip!

15. aimee @ like mother like daughter posted on April 30, 2013 at 8:38 am (#)

Whoa. I don’t know if I would normally be brave enough to make sweet guacamole, but I do love avocados and you made it sound delicious! So I think this might be a summer time snack I must try!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 30th, 2013 at 1:20 pm

They really are good sweet. I promise!

16. Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl posted on April 30, 2013 at 8:48 am (#)

Making chips out of pie crust is absolutely genius!! What an awesome idea :).

17. mr. & Mrs. P posted on April 30, 2013 at 8:51 am (#)

What a funky twist on guacamole!! Love it!

18. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on April 30, 2013 at 11:27 am (#)

This looks great! I need to make those chips!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 30th, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Yes you do! :) Thanks Nancy!

19. Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff posted on April 30, 2013 at 12:45 pm (#)

GENIUS!!! :)

20. Kathy posted on April 30, 2013 at 1:50 pm (#)

I am crazy about avocados! I ate one with a spoon for lunch today! This dip sounds fabulous!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 30th, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Thanks Kathy! That sounds like the perfect lunch. :)

21. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on April 30, 2013 at 1:56 pm (#)

I love the idea of pie crust chips, Dorothy. And a sweet avocado dip sounds wonderful to me. Happy cinco week!

22. ashley - baker by nature posted on April 30, 2013 at 5:02 pm (#)

The avocado lover in me is wild for this recipe!!!! You’re so creative, Dorothy!

23. lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on April 30, 2013 at 6:18 pm (#)

This is something I never would have thought of making and probably would have turned my nose at, but I have so much faith in you Dorothy, that I’m sure this is absolutely amazing!

24. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on April 30, 2013 at 6:48 pm (#)

I could live on guacamole. I want to seriously dive into a bowl of this right now. Brilliant!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 1st, 2013 at 6:20 am

Thanks Jennifer! I could too. Guac and chips for appetizers, Guac on tacos, then guac for dessert!

25. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on April 30, 2013 at 7:19 pm (#)

I never thought of guacamole as a dessert, but this looks wonderful and I am dying to try it! :D

26. Heather @ French Press posted on April 30, 2013 at 8:15 pm (#)

pure genius! I love avocados, and I bet the kids would go nuts for a sweet guac:)

27. Laura @ The Rookie Cook posted on April 30, 2013 at 8:16 pm (#)

Yum – this looks amaaazing! I think I’d love a sweet guacamole.

28. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on April 30, 2013 at 11:08 pm (#)

You are my hero right now! Pie crust chips with sweet guacamole? There is no way I would be able to resist this winning combination.

29. Pingback: Guacamole - Shugary Sweets

30. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on May 1, 2013 at 4:07 am (#)

You know my love for avocados…so this sounds so crazy good to me. And I love the fun pie chips!!!!

31. Taz posted on May 1, 2013 at 7:11 am (#)

Hello all,

I love the sweet avocado Idea. It brings back lots of memories for me. My father use to make us and an avocado drink when we were young. It was made with sugar cream milk and avocados. all to taste it, some times it was thick like a dessert and other times it was a very thin consistency like a drink. Lovely for breakfast with a few slivered almonds on top:)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 1st, 2013 at 3:33 pm

That sounds AMAZING Taz!! Love it.

32. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on May 1, 2013 at 8:53 am (#)

I want sweet guac! How cool is that? Obsessing over these pie crust chips too, btw.

33. Stephanie @ Back For Seconds posted on May 1, 2013 at 12:51 pm (#)

Avocados are one of my favorite things…this looks amazing! I have yet to try an avocado dessert but this might have to be my first ;) Those chips? Awesome!!

34. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on May 1, 2013 at 3:00 pm (#)

I’ve never tried a sweet guac dip before, but I totally trust you that this is fabulous! :-) And pie dippers? Love!

35. Allyson @ All Our Days posted on May 3, 2013 at 3:16 am (#)

You had me at avocado…sounds absolutely AMAZING!

We’ve love for you to show your posts with our readers at our Finished Friday Link-up.

36. Deborah posted on May 3, 2013 at 8:38 am (#)

I totally get it, and totally love it!!!

37. Amber posted on May 4, 2013 at 9:06 pm (#)

I just recently made a batch of baby food that could be a healthy alternative for the sweet guacamole. It’s so easy and yummy! I have to double the recipe so that I can have some too. The banana makes it sweet and creamy and the OJ adds a little tang (and a natural preservative). It’s also easy to freeze and thaw in the microwave (15-20 seconds per ounce).

2 ripe avocados
    2 bananas (just starting to get the brown spots)
    and about two ounces of orange juice
    Blend it all up and serve cold.

-Via “Baby Love” by Nora O’Donnell and Chef Geoff Tracy

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 5th, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I love the banana idea! I’ll have to try it!

38. Summer @ Mallow and Co posted on May 13, 2013 at 10:16 pm (#)

This is so definitely a healthy dip. No questions asked. I happen to have an avocado sitting on my counter… hmmm, may need to make this asap!

39. Pingback: Peanut Butter Flag Dip - Crazy for Crust