Mar 28

Lemon Coconut Blondies

One last delicious dessert perfect for Easter or any party! Lemon Coconut Blondies are thick and chewy like a blondie, but made with coconut, lemon, and white chocolate. The perfect bite for your citrus fix!

lemon coconut blondies

Never underestimate the power of social media.

Sometimes I forget how many people are really watching – and this week I was reminded of that (in a good way).

On Sunday, when I posted my Carrot Cake Roll and talked about being alone for a blissful few hours so I could get a weeks’ worth of work done, my site went down. Sure, it was only for about a half hour, just enough time for me to take a shower, which I needed to take a break and do anyway. But I was angry – angry because my site seems down more than it’s up. I’ve had no less than 10 “server issues” since I started with Bluehost back in September. Whenever I called tech support I got the “maintenance” spiel (yeah, at 9am on a Sunday morning? Riiiiiight.) There have been too many excuses to list here, really, so needless to say, the tech on the phone got an earful.

During this saga, someone tweeted me because they couldn’t get to my site. In my anger, I wrote back something along the lines of “I hate…” which, yes, I know is totally childish but, come on. After months and months of this, I was fed up. My traffic doesn’t dictate that I should pay gazillions of dollars a month for a dedicated server – so why couldn’t they fix the problem? Or tell my WHY?

I didn’t use an # or @ in any of my posts that day. I mentioned Bluehost by name, but never actually tweeted them. Ah, but you see – Big Brother is watching.

Never underestimate the power of social media.

That afternoon, they actually called me to upgrade me to Pro (for free) because they had “seen some tweets.”

By Monday, I had a scheduled server transfer to a Pro server (I guess that’s better than shared – I have my own IP address now, whatever that means). Of course, we won’t talk about how they didn’t actually switch me as scheduled. And the L1 tech on the phone I was screaming at at 6am on Tuesday was less than impressed with me. He thought I should be “grateful” that “they called me” and offered “the Pro service for FREE!” (Yes, I’m quoting).

Anyway, I later talked to two higher-up people who actually apologized and my switch happened Tuesday night. So now I can *hopefully* breathe easy for a little while, until all of a sudden a gazillion people start to love me and I need a dedicated server. ;)

So, I’m saying a (albeit shaky) thank you to Bluehost. For the upgrade. And the nice tech named Mike. Mike, I’d like your personal phone number so I can just call you from now on, mmkay?

Never underestimate the power of social media.

Or, the power of lemon.

lemon coconut blondies

Since my obsession with lemon began, I’ve been wanting to make a lemon brownie/blondie/bar thingy. I actually made these a few times. First, I used the Vanilla Bar recipe (the same one I used to make the Peanut Butter Brownies) to make a lemon version.

Total and complete fail.

So, I started over. Once I discovered the recipe for Toffee Blondies, which I then turned into Nutter Butter Butterscotch Blondies, I had the right measurements. So I took that recipe and turned it into these.

Instead of brown sugar, I used white. And I added coconut and lemon juice and zest. They baked up dense and chewy, almost like a cake. But they’re a bar. Let’s call them a cakar. Or a barake. Or, maybe we should stick with Lemon Coconut Blondies.

Because lemon and white chocolate should be married and have children, I frosted these with a white chocolate frosting. I melted white chocolate and butter together, and mixed in powdered sugar and cream. It seems like it’s funky and separated, but once it spreads on the bars, it’s totally fine. And since I topped them with coconut, any imperfections are totally covered. When in doubt, add more coconut.

These would be the perfect complement to your holiday table. Or to any table, really. Or, maybe you can make them in the hopes that it will stop snowing where you live. Maybe the sunny lemon will bring the sun.

lemon coconut blondies

Never underestimate the power of social media. Or lemon bars. Both can bring really good things.

Lemon Coconut Blondies

Yield: 24 bars

1 bar

Lemon Coconut Blondies

Recipe adapted from these blondies.

For the blondies:
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon heavy cream
  • Extra coconut, for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Cream sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. Mix in lemon juice and zest. Add baking powder, salt, and flour and mix. Stir in coconut. Spread into prepared pan.
  3. Bake at 350 for 23-25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
  4. To make the frosting: Melt butter and white chocolate together in microwave. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir in cream to get desired consistency (I used 1 teaspoon). The mixtured seemed separated, but still worked! Spread a light coating evenly over the top of your bars and sprinkle with extra coconut.

Other lemon goodness:

{Meyer} Lemon Pound Cake

lemon-pound-cake-1-words

Skinny & Easy Lemon Ice Cream

Skinny Lemon Ice Cream 2 words

Lemon Pie Bars by Everyday Insantiy
Lemon Bars by A Family Feast
Lemon Meringue Pie Dip by Something Swanky

62 Responses to “Lemon Coconut Blondies”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on March 28, 2013 at 3:11 pm (#)

The blondies look & sounds incredible! And you’re at the size with BH where I was a couple years ago and where a friend we both know/read recently was at and where TONS of other bloggers I know get to..big enough that you outgrow BH but not so big that you want to pony up huge bucks$ for dedicated servers but are caught in this horrible gray area. Well, after BH shutting my site down a few different times, and one time cost me big money with an advertiser/sponsored post, I HAD To make the move and get my own servers. You will love it when you get your own. Email me if you want more info. Trust me, best move you will make. Nice they upgraded you but still. And yes, big brother is watching. Whoa.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 28th, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I will SO be emailing you Averie! I am SO scared of making the move!

2. Karissa K. @ Sweet As A Cookie posted on March 28, 2013 at 3:37 pm (#)

These look wonderful. I love lemon! :)

3. Jen @JuanitasCocina posted on March 28, 2013 at 4:48 pm (#)

OMG. This is my week, all summed up in one post, except I didn’t have lemon blondies. (my favorite thing in the world, by the way)

I’m on the cusp with my host, and I’m going insane. Leap or not to leap? I think you just helped me leap.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 28th, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Who are you hosted with? I think I’m jumping soon. *Sigh*

• Jen @JuanitasCocina replied on March 29th, 2013 at 6:42 am

Dreamhost. Don’t go with Dreamhost. LOL! They tried to tell me that I have too many plugins on my site (12?). *sigh* Excuses for their messups…totally not cool! I hope you’re up and running at full speed very soon!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 29th, 2013 at 7:10 pm

OMG, I have, WAY more than that. :) Thank you Jen!

4. Megan @ megbakes posted on March 28, 2013 at 4:53 pm (#)

I’m so sorry to hear you had problems with your site. I know how frustrating tech issues can be. On another note, these bars look amazing and have most of my favorite things in just one bar! They are also beautiful. Happy Easter!

5. Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills posted on March 28, 2013 at 8:23 pm (#)

I love any desserts with lemon! These look good

6. Tieghan posted on March 28, 2013 at 8:43 pm (#)

Ok, first these bar look so yummy!!
    Second, I totally feel ya about the hosting issues! I am so confused! I use BH and my seems like it is always down! What did you switch to? Do have any suggestions for me?

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 29th, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I’m still on Bluehost, but on their Pro server. At some point I am going to switch to servint. I’ve heard great things!

7. The Pastry Chef posted on March 28, 2013 at 9:17 pm (#)

These look amazing – totally making these! I love lemon and coconut and I have fresh lemons from my mom’s lemon tree to use up – thanks!

8. Lisa @ Je suis alimentageuse posted on March 28, 2013 at 10:22 pm (#)

Dorothy. Your recent lemon streak makes me want to raid your kitchen of it’s lemony goodness and shove it all in my face. Omnomnom. I feel like you’re speaking to me with coconut and lemon.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 29th, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I’ll shove it in my face with you. LOVE lemon!! :)

9. tanya posted on March 29, 2013 at 6:42 am (#)

There really IS power in social media!! A good reminder! Love the happy ending Dorothy! I have a real affection for all things lemon!!! These are my kind of bars, especially with the coconut and that white chocolate!

10. Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies posted on March 29, 2013 at 7:10 am (#)

I’m SO obsessed with lemon. I’ve never had them in a blondie, but that just seems crazy amazing. Sorry for your problems with Bluehost, but hopefully they’re all over now!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 29th, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I think they’re better Kelly! Thank you!

11. Susan posted on March 29, 2013 at 7:37 am (#)

Lemon is my weakness and I’m drooling right now! What a wonderful Spring time dessert–Happy Easter, XOXO

12. Joy @ Baking-Joy posted on March 29, 2013 at 7:54 am (#)

These look and sound amazing Dorothy, I totally agree that lemon and white chocolate should be married! :-)

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 29th, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Married and have LOTS of babies…

13. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on March 29, 2013 at 11:14 am (#)

Technology is a pain in the butt! On the bright side, people love you so much that they crashed your site. I am crazy over lemon and coconut lately, its such a fresh flavor.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 29th, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I know, right? Good reason for a bad thing? Seems weird. :)

15. Louise@cakeandcalico.com posted on March 29, 2013 at 1:13 pm (#)

I’m sorry for your e-troubles and grateful for your lemony goodness! Hopefully one helped with the other… ;-D

16. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on March 29, 2013 at 2:11 pm (#)

Hmmm – I’ve been thinking of switching to Bluehost, but this gives me pause. I’ve had Host Gator since I started and my site has crashed a couple times from large, sudden traffic increases, but it was always right back up again with no issues. My blog has never been down for any other reason (that I know of!). I’m glad they attempted to make it right!

Oh, and lemon bars are my BFF, so I’m totally pinning this :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 29th, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Thanks for the pin! I have a feeling that any time our traffic gets more than teeny tiny, the hosting companies aren’t happy (if we’re on cheap plans). I know Hostgator has bigger plans – possibly that would help??

17. Pingback: Bunny Pies {Crust and Crumbs} - Crazy for Crust

18. Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff posted on March 29, 2013 at 9:10 pm (#)

How can it be … technology is such a wonderful thing and so frustrating at the same time? When life gives you lemons … make Lemon Coconut Blondies! I have 3 lemons left on my tree, until I pick them in the morning ;)

19. Shiloh Barkley posted on March 30, 2013 at 6:18 am (#)

These look so much better than lemon bars!

20. Shiloh Barkley posted on March 30, 2013 at 6:22 am (#)

Gave this one a Facebook shout out!

21. Julie @ This Gal Cooks posted on March 30, 2013 at 2:44 pm (#)

You had me at lemon. Now I’m going to check out those other two lemon treats you shared at the bottom of this post!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 31st, 2013 at 7:17 am

Lemon is the best. :) Thanks Julie!

22. Cindy Harris posted on April 1, 2013 at 9:50 pm (#)

Lemon is perfect any time of the year. So I will try these even though Easter is over! Love the Meyer Lemon bread, can’t wait to try it.

23. Shiloh Barkley posted on April 8, 2013 at 7:07 am (#)

Making these today!

24. Danielle B. posted on April 9, 2013 at 8:55 am (#)

Hi Dorothy, so glad to have come across your wonderful blog. I decided to start here with your lemon coconut blondies because I have a ton of lemons to use and am always looking for a great new lemon recipe. This one sounds delicious. Your photos are beautiful and I am looking forward to checking out more of your recipes! Danielle with Welcome Company

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 9th, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Welcome Danielle! Thanks so much and I hope you love them!

25. Pingback: Easy Lemon Poke Cake Recipe - Something Swanky

26. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on May 20, 2013 at 8:10 am (#)

So good, Dorothy! Thanks for bringing these to my attention! Pinned. :) I have a recipe like this for my cookbook. No white chocolate and a lot different, but the same flavors!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 20th, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Lemon and coconut are SO good together! Thanks for the pin Sally!

27. Pingback: Lemon Blondies

28. Cat posted on February 6, 2014 at 12:24 am (#)

Hello Dorothy, these look delicious, thank you for sharing your recipe. Are you able to let me know exactly what type of flour and exactly what type of coconut you use please? I’m a bit scared to guess! Thanks, Cat.

29. Jodi posted on July 10, 2014 at 11:42 am (#)

Just curious how a 9×9 pan produces 24 bars? I just made these and decided to use a 9×13. I haven’t tried them yet. They seem to have worked out, only a little thinner. Maybe should’ve doubled it. I’m not good at adapting recipes.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 10th, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I’m sorry about that Jodi! I’m pretty sure the 9×9 is a typo and I’m sorry for that. It’s been awhile, but I’m pretty sure I made them in a 9×13 pan to begin with, which would yield the 24 bars.

30. mari posted on July 14, 2014 at 11:21 am (#)

These lemon coconut Blondie’s looked so good and lemon and coconut are my husbands favorite flavors. So I made them just now. The flavor was wonderful and they looked exactly like the picture except mine were a little on the dry side, where as the picture looks like they are more moist……what did I do wrong ? I followed the instructions exactly. Hmmmmm……

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 14th, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I’m sorry Mari! If I remember correctly, the bars were quite dense. Is that what you’re thinking about the dry side? Also, possibly they needed a few minutes less in the oven. I know with blondies I tend to remove them from the oven when they’re still under done looking, so they don’t get dry. All ovens cook differently, so yours might just need a few minutes less!

• mari replied on July 14th, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Thanks for your reply…..yes they are a dense bar, and I think you are right about the oven. I made another batch and I took them out of the oven a few minutes earlier this time. Much, much better! I’m freezing some of them …..we now have more than we can eat …LoL! As for the first batch we’re popping one at a time in the microwave just before eating . Just long enough to put a little moisture it it without heating it through. My husband will not let his favorite flavors (coconut & lemon ) go to waste! Thanks so much for your suggestions! Keeping this recipe in my recipe box!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 15th, 2014 at 6:39 am

Thanks so much Mari!! I’m glad the second batch worked out better. :)

31. Stacey posted on August 19, 2014 at 4:14 pm (#)

Just made these for a picnic, and they taste soooooo good! Only problem is that mine turned out WAY thinner, like not even an inch in thickness. Maybe you originally baked yours in an 8×11 pan? They still taste great, but slightly overcooked. Next time I will definitely try making them in a smaller pan!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 20th, 2014 at 6:55 am

Hmmm, not sure why that happened. My pan was a glass 9×13, same as I use for all the 9×13 recipes. I don’t think I have an 8×11 (but what a cool size, I want one!) Sorry they were thin!

32. Cassie posted on December 18, 2014 at 1:42 am (#)

OMG these were so good! They melt right in your mouth; and are so addictive. Best blondies ever.

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 18th, 2014 at 3:34 pm

So glad you enjoyed them!!