Feb 17

Funfetti Chocolate Chip Scones

Funfetti Cake Mix
for breakfast! These soft and sweet scones are made from cake mix, chocolate, and sprinkles to get your morning started off right.

Funfetti-Chocolate-Chip-Scones

Can you believe I’ve never made a scone before? Oh, sure, I’ve eaten lots and lots of them. But I’ve always been afraid to make them from scratch. Probably because, in my scone-eating travels, I’ve come across many a dry scone. Ones that crumble like sawdust in your mouth; ones that no amount of coffee will fix.

These Funfetti Chocolate Chip Scones? Are not those.

These? These scones are perfect.

Funfetti-Chocolate-Chip-Scones

I have my friend Ashton to thank for these scones. A few weeks ago she posted Red Velvet Scones, using a red velvet cake mix. When I was trying to think of something new to make for Valentine’s Day breakfast, I went to Pinterest and these scones jumped out at me.

Obviously, I couldn’t do red velvet. She already did that. So, my mind goes where it always does when I think of cake mix: to funfetti.

Funfietti cake is my absolute favorite. I mean, really, it’s just a yellow cake. But it has sprinkles inside, making it infinitely more fun and exciting than just a plain old yellow mix.

I think that adding a cake mix to a scone recipe is just absolutely genius. I don’t know about you, but I have the hardest time finding a yellow cake recipe that isn’t dry. I had the same fear when I started thinking about scones. But something about cake mix in anything, like cookies or scones, automatically makes them soft and wonderful. There’s a reason why Pillsbury and Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines are huge companies: they found a magical solution. So why fix it if it ain’t broken?

I mean, really. Look at the innards of the scone in that photo. They scream soft, dense, and delicious! And, because of the extra flour you add in the recipe, these aren’t too sweet. I like my scones sweet, but not overly so. If I wanted cake in the morning, I’d eat cake. These are the perfect mix of sweet and not-so-sweet.

I added chocolate chips for good measure. Because really. If I can have a valid reason to eat chocolate for breakfast, I’m going to.

Because I made these for Valentine’s Day, I shaped them into a heart. But you can make just a regular round of dough instead.

Funfetti-Chocolate-Chip-Scones

I just think a heart is more fun, any time of year. Kind of like sprinkles! :)

Funfetti Chocolate Chip Scones

Funfetti Chocolate Chip Scones

Recipe adapted from Something Swanky.

• 1 1/4 cups Funfetti Cake Mix
  • 1 1/4 cups flour (plus more for dusting)
  • 1 stick (8 tablespoons) cold butter, diced
  • 1 cup fat-free milk
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 2 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles (I used jimmies)

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper. Do not grease.
  2. Stir cake mix and flour in a large bowl. Add cold butter (be sure to dice it into small chunks first) to the flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter to work the butter into the flour mixture, until it is crumbly.
  3. Create a well in the center of the mixture and pour the milk in the center. Stir gently, keeping the dough in the center of the bowl, until the milk is incorporated. Stir only until the mixture comes together (there will be small chunks of butter still, and that’s okay). Stir in chocolate chips.
  4. Sprinkle a small bit of flour over the dough and flour your hands. Turn the dough out onto the prepared cookie sheet. Gently press the dough to flatten into a circle that is an 8 inch diameter. I made mine into a heart, so you can really make whatever shape you want.
  5. Use a greased knife to cut into wedges. Top with sprinkles and gently press them to make them stick.
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Notes

You can use Yellow Cake Mix instead of Funfetti, if you prefer. Just add about 2-3 tablespoons of sprinkles into the batter with the chocolate chips.

Need more breakfast ideas? How about:

Banana Breakfast Cookies

Banana Breakfast Cookies by www.crazyforcrust.com #breakfast #cookie @crazyforcrust

Triple Mocha Donuts

Mocha Donuts

Have a great week!

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingLil’ LunaBuns In My OvenChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

100 Responses to “Funfetti Chocolate Chip Scones”

1. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on February 17, 2013 at 3:09 pm (#)

These are so stinkin cute! I love SCONES! My family is from England and the staples in my house are scones and shortbread. My mom always joked we would one day open 31 flavors of scones :) Never had a funfetti or cake mix one so I will definitely have to give these a try to share with my mom!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 17th, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Thanks Elizabeth! I need to try more flavors, I like your moms idea! :)

2. katie posted on February 17, 2013 at 3:47 pm (#)

Gah! These look great! I love making scones… which reminds me I should make some on my day off tomorrow! btw… these look like a perfect birthday treat!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 17th, 2013 at 6:35 pm

They totally would be! Thanks Katie!

3. Tonii posted on February 17, 2013 at 3:48 pm (#)

These look amazing! And how fun would they be for a birthday breakfast? Thanks for another great recipe!!

Tonii

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 17th, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Thanks Tonii! I would love them for my birthday! :)

4. Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungry posted on February 17, 2013 at 4:43 pm (#)

Funfetti Scones make any morning brighter. Also the ease of making them with cake mix is brilliant.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 17th, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Thanks Nicole! They were super easy!

5. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on February 17, 2013 at 5:15 pm (#)

Wow! Who knew you could make scones out of cake mix! What can cake mix NO do?! :) And I can’t stand dry scones!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 17th, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I know, right? It’s like magical or something. :) These were totally soft and (pardon the word but…) moist!

6. Liz posted on February 17, 2013 at 6:54 pm (#)

These look like fun! I don’t think you can ever go wrong with Funfetti cake mix :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2013 at 6:17 am

No, you really can’t! :) Thanks Liz!

7. Kristin posted on February 17, 2013 at 6:55 pm (#)

This is SUCH a good idea. Cake mix makes everything better. (Do you really eat this kind of stuff for breakfast?? :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2013 at 6:16 am

I eat mine more for a mid-morning snack. I’d love it for breakfast, but it would make me feel sick all day. Jordan, however, has no problems with it, ha!

8. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on February 17, 2013 at 6:56 pm (#)

I am super picky about my scones…which is why I started making my own too! Dry scones that crumble are the worst!!! Yours looks so soft and delicious. Love that cake mix can be used for breakfast items…and of course I heart all the sprinkles in these!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2013 at 6:16 am

Yeah, any time I can have cake for breakfast… :) Thanks Jocelyn!

9. cooking rookie posted on February 17, 2013 at 7:37 pm (#)

beautiful scones! so colorful and happy with that funfetti :-)

10. Janine | sugarkissed.net posted on February 17, 2013 at 8:18 pm (#)

I’m so obsessed with sprinkles… I love it when I find a new funfetti recipe! Plus, something about starting off with cake mix makes the thought of trying to make scones for the first time a little less intimidating. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 20th, 2013 at 6:24 am

Totally! That’s why I started with these! :)

11. Back For Seconds posted on February 17, 2013 at 8:34 pm (#)

Your scones look so perfect and moist! I love all the sprinkles and chocolate chips. So pretty!

12. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on February 17, 2013 at 9:28 pm (#)

How fun that you worked funfetti into scones. I always think of them as so prim and proper…but now they’ve Funfetti’ed! love it :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2013 at 6:15 am

I like to make everything a little whimsical. Prim and proper is SO not me, ha! :)

13. aimee @ shugarysweets posted on February 18, 2013 at 4:51 am (#)

I love soft moist scones! Which is why I prefer to make my own. Never thought to use cake mix though! And sprinkles…total win right there!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2013 at 6:14 am

I want to make from-scratch ones now. I’m still worried though… :) Thanks Aimee!

14. Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies posted on February 18, 2013 at 5:15 am (#)

Ohhh yummm… I definitely made a mistake looking at these on a Monday, my week is NOT going to be a healthy one. These look epic. I love scones [and keep saying I'll work up the courage to actually make them, hopefully I mean it this time!]

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2013 at 6:13 am

I was the same way! The cake mix takes the worry out of it. :)

• Bobbi Jo replied on March 10th, 2013 at 8:00 am

‘mI made these yesterday and I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong. They were so sticky I had to keep adding more flour.I had already added 1/2 cup to much dry ingredients by accident so I can’t imagine how sticky they would have been. I think I probably put at least another 1/2 cup and they were still very sticky. Is that just the way they are? They are good just wondering if I need to do something different next time.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 10th, 2013 at 7:07 pm

That’s so strange Bobbi Jo! Mine were slightly sticky, like biscuit dough, but not so much I had to use tons of extra flour. Possibly was your butter too soft? That’s the only thing I can think of. I know that my butter was straight from the fridge cold. That’s the only thing I can think of that would make it too wet. How did they turn out?

15. Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos posted on February 18, 2013 at 5:59 am (#)

Look at the innards….you make me laugh!! And you make me hungry!! Wishing I had a few of these for breakfast today :)

16. Jeni posted on February 18, 2013 at 6:23 am (#)

My little girl would go nuts for these scones!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Mine sure did. :) Thanks Jeni!

17. Karly posted on February 18, 2013 at 7:04 am (#)

Cake mix scones?! What the what? Where have these been all my life??

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I know, right? I can’t wait to make even more of them. :)

18. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on February 18, 2013 at 7:25 am (#)

Waaaait a minute. Funfetti scones? Funfetti for BREAKFAST? I am in love. Can I move into your house now?

19. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on February 18, 2013 at 7:53 am (#)

Oh I am wanting one of those right now! They look so much better than regular scones. I have the same opinion of scones but these look amazing! Thanks for sharing at Show Me Your Plaid Monday’s!

20. Ellen @Bake It With Booze posted on February 18, 2013 at 8:40 am (#)

I’m in! I make my own now, too, for similar reasons. I like flavor and not bland. Try Susan’s scones sometime. Full-proof and super easy. Have a wonderful week!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Thanks Ellen! I’ll have too – I’m addicted!

21. Rachel @ BubblyNatureCreations.com posted on February 18, 2013 at 9:38 am (#)

Yummy! Sounds so good! I actually love making scones… they are so much easier than people think!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 20th, 2013 at 6:23 am

I’m in love with them Rachel! Thank you!

22. Emily posted on February 18, 2013 at 10:04 am (#)

These scones look amazing! I love the sprinkles.

23. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on February 18, 2013 at 12:06 pm (#)

These would be such a fun way to start your morning! You are so creative, Dorothy!

24. Abby posted on February 18, 2013 at 12:13 pm (#)

oh these are so cute!! They just make me smile.

25. carrian posted on February 18, 2013 at 1:39 pm (#)

I’m totally picky with my scones. Your’s look wonderful and my kiddos love funfetti anything.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2013 at 6:33 pm

So do I! :) Thanks Carrian!

26. Meghan @ The Tasty Fork posted on February 18, 2013 at 2:58 pm (#)

I’m loving the cake mix and all of the funfetti! You’ve made scones look fun! I think scones in general have the reputation of being dry and bland… but these scones are anything BUT that! Can’t wait to try them!!

27. Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen posted on February 18, 2013 at 3:54 pm (#)

Yum, these look great – so pretty!

28. Loretta / A Finn In The Kitchen posted on February 18, 2013 at 6:39 pm (#)

“If I wanted cake in the morning, I’d eat cake.”

Haha! Quote of the day :)

29. Trish @ Mom On Timeout posted on February 18, 2013 at 7:54 pm (#)

Ahh yeah! These look so freakin good right now! Finally getting my appetite back :) Pinning!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 19th, 2013 at 6:40 am

I’m glad you’re feeling better Trish!

30. Tonia@thegunnysack posted on February 19, 2013 at 9:06 am (#)

What a delicious way to start the day!

31. Shannon posted on February 19, 2013 at 9:42 am (#)

These look so fun:) I can’t wait to try this recipe with my children…they are going to love it!!

32. Liz @ Tip Top Shape posted on February 19, 2013 at 9:50 am (#)

These look so delicious!!! Love it!

34. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on February 19, 2013 at 12:46 pm (#)

Eeek, I’m behind on my commenting right now, so I’m finally getting around to noticing your new blog designy-stuff! Love it, Dorothy, and I love these scones! These would totally jazz up a boring weekday morning!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 19th, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Thanks Ashley! I heart Vanessa. :)

35. Pingback: Easy and Fluffy Belgian Waffles - Something Swanky

36. Holly Lefevre posted on February 19, 2013 at 11:12 pm (#)

We love scones here…my kids would love this fun treat!

37. Kaylee @ Couponing & Cooking posted on February 20, 2013 at 6:26 pm (#)

Funfetti and chocolate chips? You’re an evil genius and I want to eat breakfast at your house!

38. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on February 21, 2013 at 6:14 am (#)

I have had the same exact fear when it comes to making scones!! These have my mouth watering. They look like a cookie. But SO MUCH better because I can justify eating it for breakfast!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 21st, 2013 at 10:40 am

Yes, yes you can! :) Thanks Lisa!

39. Pingback: Wedding Planner Unveiled » Blog Archive » Friday Favorites: 02.22.13

40. Kelly at Smart School House posted on February 22, 2013 at 6:43 am (#)

LOVE these (had to pin). Your pictures are always so amazing, which is why I keep coming back to see what you’re up to!

41. Pingback: DIY Ideas Monday Funday Link Party {#7}

42. Pingback: Monday Funday link-up #7 - Creatively Living Blog

43. Pingback: Monday Funday 7 | * View Along the Way *

44. Bobbi Jo posted on March 10, 2013 at 7:58 am (#)

45. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cadbury Mini Egg Muffins - Crazy for Crust

46. Felicity @ Our Little Beehive posted on March 19, 2013 at 5:37 pm (#)

These look so good! I just found you as I was searching for cake mix recipes on Pinterest. I have a box in my pantry that’s been there forever and I thought I’d use it up in some creative way. Love this idea!
    I created a vanilla cake recipe that’s super moist for my wedding a few years ago. I made a gazillion cupcakes using it, the recipe is here if you’d like to check it out: http://www.ourlittlebeehive.com/2011/02/tuesday-treats-vanilla-cupcakes-w-mocha.html

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 19th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Thanks Felicity! I’m addicted to cake mix. :)

47. Pingback: 40+ Cake Mix Recipes | Chef in Training

48. Pingback: 53 Sweet Easter Ideas - Crazy for Crust

49. Pingback: 100+ Cake Mix Recipes - Something Swanky

50. Crystal posted on May 1, 2013 at 5:20 pm (#)

Yum! I have never made scones but whenever I do I’m definitely going to try these! My kids will love them!

51. Pingback: 40 Non-Cake Funfetti Recipes - Becoming Martha

52. Pingback: Starbucks Petite Vanilla Scone Copycat - Crazy for Crust

53. Pingback: Cake Mix Soft Pretzels - Crazy for Crust

54. Pingback: Spiced Cinnamon Chip Scones {gevalia mocha latte} - Crazy for Crust

55. Pingback: Recipes With Sprinkles - Love From The Oven

56. Pingback: Funfetti Cookie Fudge Bars - Crazy for Crust

57. Christina posted on February 27, 2014 at 2:11 pm (#)

Hi! These look awesome. :) Just one question: how many does the recipe yield?

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 28th, 2014 at 7:19 am

I made mine into a heart and cut it into wedges (for Valentine’s Day) but it would be the equivalent of a 9″ round. You can cut them as big or as small as you like!

58. Pingback: Funfetti Pudding Cookies - Crazy for Crust