Jan 14

Peanut Butter Baklava

Peanut Butter Baklava

Sometimes I shock myself. This is one of those times.

This recipe has been ruminating in my mind for 20 years. Let me explain.

Last week I talked about my family’s RV trips to the North, to Washington. On those trips, we’d also eat our way through Oregon. There was always a stop in Tillamook (yes, it’s a place! With a tour! And a gift shop with food!) where the carton of chocolate milk wouldn’t make it out of the parking lot.

And then there was the antique shop/boat yard stop in Garibaldi. I don’t remember which. What I remember was the Bay Front Bakery. They sold baklava. All kinds, I think. All I really remember is always getting a sampler box and devouring the peanut butter and chocolate one first.

It’s been at least 20 years (maybe more?) since I’ve been to that bakery. But I can still taste the peanut butter baklava they sold. Just mention it and I start to salivate like a dog, I’m serious.

Because I live 610 miles from Garibaldi (I googled it), I didn’t think I ‘d get to eat one of these delicacies any time soon. So I created my own.

You’re welcome.

Peanut Butter Baklava

This is your regular baklava base, phyllo dough and butter, baked and drizzled with a sweet honey/sugar/water/vanilla concoction. But instead of being filled with nuts and sugar, I filled it with peanut butter and chocolate chips.

Again…you’re welcome.

You can most certainly chop up some nuts and add it to this. That would be fantastic. I made this at Christmas and I knew my dad would want some…he’s not allowed to have nuts. So I left them out. But, by all means, add some if you want.

This was my first time working with phyllo. I’ll admit it – I was scared. You hear horror stories of it drying out quickly and ripping. I read through The Pioneer Woman’s tutorial prior to making this, and it really helped. Basically, before you start, have everything ready to go. Have your butter and your peanut butter melted. Your chocolate chips (and nuts, if you’re adding them) all ready in a bowl. Have your work surface cleared and stick your kids in front of Good Luck Charlie or some other addictive show. Pay attention, work fast, and it’ll be fine. Honestly, I’ve never made baklava before. And look how this turned out – pretty good, if you ask me!

Try it. I promise. It’s SO good. Rich, indulgent, and fantastic. Peanut butter and chocolate to the E.X.T.R.E.M.E.

Peanut Butter Baklava

Peanut Butter Baklava. A trip down memory lane…and a delicious one at that!

Peanut Butter Baklava

Peanut Butter Baklava

• 1/2 pack Phyllo Dough (1 roll from a 2 roll box), defrosted
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • About 2/3 of a bag of chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 9x9” pan

1. Assemble your ingredients before you start. Place melted butter in a bowl and have a pastry brush for brushing it on the phyllo. Place peanut butter in a bowl and heat in the microwave about 30 seconds - 1 minute, until it is liquid. Open your bag of chocolate chips and place some in a bowl near your work surface (mix them with the nuts, if you are using nuts).
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thoroughly butter your 9x9” pan. Unwrap your roll of phyllo dough onto a cutting board and cut it in half, so it will fit in your pan. Cover the phyllo dough with a layer of plastic wrap and place a damp kitchen towel over the top.
  3. Brush the top sheet of phyllo with melted butter. Grab it and the sheet below it (so you have two sheets) and place them, butter side down, in the pan. Repeat two more times, so you have 6 sheets of phyllo in the pan. Cover the phyllo with the plastic/damp towel.
  4. Pour about 2-3 tablespoons of peanut butter over the top and spread. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
  5. Butter another phyllo sheet and grab the one below it (so you have two sheets) and place them, butter side down, on top the peanut butter layer. Pour about 2-3 tablespoons of peanut butter over the top and spread. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Repeat this about 4 more times, or until you are out of peanut butter.
  6. Butter another phyllo sheet and grab the one below it (so you have two sheets) and place them, butter side down, on top the peanut butter layer. Repeat this two times, so you have 6 layers on top of your last peanut butter layer. Butter the top of the baklava.
  7. Using a sharp knife, cut your baklava into squares, being sure to cut all the way though all the layers. You can cut squares or diamonds, whatever you like.
  8. Bake about 45 minutes, until the baklava is golden brown.
  9. While the baklava is baking, heat the water, sugar, honey, and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to lowest setting until the baklava comes out of the oven.
  10. When the baklava comes out of the oven, pour the honey mixture over the top, being sure to get it in all the cuts. Let cool completely, uncovered, for several hours.

Hey…did you see my post on Marie Callender’s last Friday? It was all sorts of tips for slicing a pie. Go check it out!

pie slicing tips

Other peanut butter and chocolate goodness you might like:

Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Donuts

IMG_4014words

Deep Dish Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sundaes

pb cookie sundaes 2 words

Maple Pecan Baklava by Bakeaholic Mama
Bakalava Bites by Lemons for Lulu
Chewy Peanut Butter Granola by Something Swanky

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingLil’ LunaBuns In My OvenChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

151 Responses to “Peanut Butter Baklava”

1. Meg @ Sweet Twist posted on January 14, 2013 at 3:24 pm (#)

um…. I love you for creating this! You are a genius.

2. tanya posted on January 14, 2013 at 3:58 pm (#)

I have never had baklava with peanut butter and chocolate and I’m wondering why????? Why have I only settled for nuts and honey when I could’ve had it like this!!! I can see why you’ve been thinking about this for 20 years! It’s WONDERFUL!!

3. aimee @ shugarysweets posted on January 14, 2013 at 3:59 pm (#)

SHUT UP. This looks so delicious. 610 miles? I’d totally drive that far for something like this. Road trip anyone?

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 14th, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I know, right? We are thinking of doing a trip to the NW in a year or so. I was all, as long as I can stop there! :) Thanks Aimee!

4. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on January 14, 2013 at 4:20 pm (#)

Stop it right now! These look ahmazing!! I seriously wish I could grab some through the screen. Great idea :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 14th, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Thank you! I wish I still had some! :)

5. Tammy Northrup posted on January 14, 2013 at 4:48 pm (#)

I absolutely adore baklava but have always felt like it was way out of my league when it comes to making it. I am definitely going to have to try your version. Thanks for sharing.

6. Kimi posted on January 14, 2013 at 4:49 pm (#)

Oh no she didn’t!! I just went and checked to see if I had an phyllo in the freezer, and I do!! It’s 8:00 here and I’m wondering if I should start it now or wait until tomorrow?? I’m so excited! I don’t know if I love you or hate you.

7. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on January 14, 2013 at 5:16 pm (#)

OOOH yum, my grandma used to make baklava all the time, and this looks like a super delicious adaptation! mmm mmm =)

8. Alyssa posted on January 14, 2013 at 5:18 pm (#)

This baklava looks amazing! I never thought to put chocolate or peanut butter in it! We are huge baklava fans, I can’t wait to make this!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 14th, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I hope you love it like I did! :)

9. Pingback: Peanut Butter Baklava - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

10. Ala posted on January 14, 2013 at 6:21 pm (#)

Whoever you’re serving this to is in for a treat–can it be me? Where do I sign up for my delivery order? :] I *love* baklava and I *love* peanut butter, and would marry both–and now that you’ve married both of them together, who am I going to marry?! Seriously. YUM.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 14th, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Wouldn’t that be cool, delivery? We need to get on inventing the immediate button-push delivery system! :)

11. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on January 14, 2013 at 6:22 pm (#)

I am drooling over these! Do you deliver? :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 14th, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I wish! That would help my thighs!! ;)

12. Jenna@littlekitchenbigflavors posted on January 14, 2013 at 6:25 pm (#)

I am allllll over this dessert. It’s got all of my very favorite sweet treat ingredients! I think this will be going on the Valentine’s Day dessert menu! Great inspiration and great recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 14th, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I hope you like it! Thanks Jenna!

13. Summer @ Mallow and Co posted on January 14, 2013 at 7:04 pm (#)

These treats just made you my best friend. I can’t stop staring at the top picture, I may just make it my computer’s wallpaper. I am buying phyllo dough tomorrow!

14. Emily @ A Very Sweet Life posted on January 14, 2013 at 7:19 pm (#)

This sounds like one of the most fantastic desserts I’ve ever heard of! I absolutely love peanut butter and chocolate and I also love baklava. I can’t imagine how delicious it would be to combine the two. I can’t wait to give this recipe a try… but I must find some people to share it with so that I don’t end up eating it all myself!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 14th, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Thank you Emily! And yes, we had way too much for just the few of us. Buttons were popping everywhere!

15. Mindy posted on January 14, 2013 at 7:38 pm (#)

Damn you woman. Damn you.
    I want this and I want it now. And I can’t have it now. It’s almost 8:00 at night and I’m in my bathrobe. You don’t expect me to run to the store for ingredients, do you? Ah hell.
    BTW, I am waaaaay closer to that place than you are and I’ve never been. Bucket list for sure.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 15th, 2013 at 6:11 am

LOL! You must go. I’m jealous! :)

16. Heather @French Press posted on January 14, 2013 at 7:48 pm (#)

I should not have looked, but I did, and I am drooling, no lie.

It could be because I had beets for dinner
    but I think more than likely it is the sheer genius of this dessert
    which I will be devouring in 27 days {not that I’m counting}

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 15th, 2013 at 6:11 am

Seriously, I wouldn’t be able to read blogs if I were you. You are a woman of steel!

17. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on January 14, 2013 at 9:20 pm (#)

I’m always so nervous pervis about making fancy treats like baklava. Once I tried making it and I totally burnt the living you-know-what out of my pan. I’m not sure what happened except that I was scarred for life from making baklava ever again (sad face). This looks AWESOME. Peanut butter and chocolate added in those flaky layers of heavenly goodness? Yes please! You can make me baklava anytime ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 15th, 2013 at 6:11 am

Maybe I will! :) Thanks Hayley!

18. Rachel @ Simple Girl posted on January 14, 2013 at 9:29 pm (#)

Wow! This looks seriously delicious. I like Baklava, but I think I would LOVE this!

19. Pamela posted on January 15, 2013 at 2:50 am (#)

OK YUM! Thats all I have to say to you Dorothy! I LOVE THIS TREAT! I need one right now! Thanks for sharing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 15th, 2013 at 6:10 am

I wish I could send you one Pamela!

20. Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on January 15, 2013 at 5:56 am (#)

oh that looks so good, I love the dough for this, but hate working with it:( But it looks worth it.

21. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie posted on January 15, 2013 at 6:28 am (#)

Wow I am incredibly glad you finally made these after 20 years. Totally worth the wait,

22. Erin @ Making Memories posted on January 15, 2013 at 6:34 am (#)

Oh my hell! I’ve never heard of Peanut Butter Baklava! And what the heck?! I live about 70 miles from Garibaldi and why have I not been to that bakery??!! But I do love the Tillamook Cheese Factory =o) I am so going to make these! Thanks for another AMAZING recipe! You truly are a dessert genius!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 16th, 2013 at 7:03 am

Thank you Erin! I’m jealous you are so close to it!!

23. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on January 15, 2013 at 6:39 am (#)

I see you got the related posts thumbnails working, Dorothy! Fabulous. I can’t tell you how much I love baklava. I’ve only had traditional baklava and I completely adore it. I’ve never seen or heard of a peanut butter version, so this recipe extremely excites me. I love all that oozy pb!

24. Mom posted on January 15, 2013 at 7:57 am (#)

As one of the recipients of this delightful dessert, let me assure you all that it was as wonderful as it looks/sounds. And I took home such a big tray of cookies that some had to go in the freezer. I wasn’t sure how this would freeze but I tried it with a couple of pieces. Not quite as good as fresh, but not bad at all. I just ate the last piece a few days ago!!
    Fantastic dessert and very pretty too.
    Mom

25. shelia @sweetsouthernblue posted on January 15, 2013 at 8:03 am (#)

I love baklava and I love peanut butter so my mouth is doing a happy dance. This is on my ” must do” list.

26. Cathy @ Lemon Tree Dwelling posted on January 15, 2013 at 8:31 am (#)

This looks amazingly delicious…! Your recipes are dangerous!! (in a good way…. :)

27. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on January 15, 2013 at 8:46 am (#)

Shut Up!!! That is the best dessert ever and you just made it even better with peanut butter!!! I would totally drive 600 miles for a bar this good…or bribe my blog friends to mail me some ;-)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 16th, 2013 at 7:02 am

I need to make them again and share the wealth… :)

28. The Farm Girl posted on January 15, 2013 at 9:30 am (#)

I LOVE baklava and now adding peanut butter and chocolate, my two other loves…I just don’t know quite what to say. Pinned and so excited to make :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 16th, 2013 at 7:01 am

Thank you! I hope you love them. :)

29. Joan@Chocolateandmore posted on January 15, 2013 at 9:35 am (#)

ok, that’s it, I need to move closer to you! I love baklava but peanut butter and chocolate? Good grief woman, you are just cruel to people that live 1500 miles away from you! Now I’m going to have to suck it up and make baklava for myself!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 15th, 2013 at 1:58 pm

We need to create Dessert Blogger Town and we can all live there!

30. Kelli posted on January 15, 2013 at 10:32 am (#)

You. Are. A. Freaking. Genius! Holy cow! I can’t wait to try this! Thank you!

31. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on January 15, 2013 at 10:33 am (#)

OMG YES! I’m not in love with baklava generally but with pb and chocolate??? SOLD.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 15th, 2013 at 1:57 pm

It balances out the super sweet which is weird, but awesome!

32. Melissa posted on January 15, 2013 at 11:02 am (#)

This looks fantastic! I love Baklava, but I’ve never had anything beyond the typical nuts and honey filling. Peanut butter and chocolate just put this over the top for me!

33. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on January 15, 2013 at 12:33 pm (#)

Oh wow. This looks amazing!

34. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on January 15, 2013 at 4:59 pm (#)

I love, love, LOVE bakalava, but I’ve never tried making it myself. Yours turned out absolutely gorgeous! I’m loving your pictures, girl!

35. Wendy posted on January 15, 2013 at 5:11 pm (#)

This looks fantastic! I am seriously allergic to tree nuts so have never tried traditional baklava. I have looked at it wistfully so many times that my teenage son, who is in charge of Thanksgiving dessert every year, made me a baklava using peanuts instead of walnuts. It was every bit as delicious as I imagined. Wait until he sees this recipe! Thank you for a recipe I can’t wait to try!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 15th, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Thank you! Peanuts are good in pretty much everything, methinks. :)

36. Debbi Hook posted on January 15, 2013 at 5:51 pm (#)

Holy smokes! I can’t wait to try this… sounds incredible!

37. Carole @The Sweet Chick posted on January 15, 2013 at 7:39 pm (#)

oh god, you are killing me with this. How am I ever supposed to lose weight this year. Oh well, I guess there is always next year :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 15th, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Neverrrrrr! If I can’t no one can! Bwahahahahahaha! ;)

38. Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips posted on January 15, 2013 at 7:41 pm (#)

Why oh why did you have to post this the day I found out I have gestational diabetes?! :-) I love baklava and just DIE for peanut butter and chocolate!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 15th, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Oh no Brianne! I’m SO sorry! :(

39. Brenda posted on January 15, 2013 at 8:37 pm (#)

There are some things in life that I don’t need to know about … this may be one of those things! I figure that if I don’t know how good it is … I won’t make it and eat it!

40. Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake posted on January 16, 2013 at 7:41 am (#)

Oh. My. Word. These sound amazing!!!

41. Lisa posted on January 16, 2013 at 10:43 am (#)

As someone who would (and has!!) eaten peanut butter by the spoonful after carefully jamming multiple chocolate chips on to the peanut butter I can say with confidence and certainty that these might be my soul mate. Pinning!

42. Joy @ Baking-Joy posted on January 16, 2013 at 12:17 pm (#)

This looks utterley amazing! :-)

43. Back For Seconds posted on January 16, 2013 at 5:02 pm (#)

Girrrrrrl, this is maybe one of the best things you’ve ever made. I mean, I’d have to taste test to be sure (you have my address *ahem*). Pinning!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 16th, 2013 at 7:28 pm

LOL, right! I need to ship you more stuff. :)

44. Lauree posted on January 17, 2013 at 2:25 pm (#)

OMG these look amazing! I will have to make these for my husband who loves peanut butter and baklava! I can’t wait!

45. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on January 17, 2013 at 5:05 pm (#)

I had no idea baklava existed and now I am feeling as though the last 26 years have been very sad for me indeed! Can’t wait to try this!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 17th, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Oh, it’s so good. All the flavors!

46. Ashton @ Something Swanky posted on January 17, 2013 at 8:57 pm (#)

You know how I am about commenting these days…. (er… not good), but this deserved a comment! It looks INCREDIBLE. And I can eat my weight in Baklava! Oh…. if someone would just give me the chance! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 18th, 2013 at 6:14 am

Ha, me too. Well, come visit me again and maybe I’ll make you some… :)

47. Arlene Harris posted on January 17, 2013 at 9:05 pm (#)

I’ve made Tiropitakia [cheese triangles made with phyllo dough, eggs, cheese and spices] quite a bit, and I use the butter flavored baking spray. Faster, easier and it adds NO calories to the dish… It can be used for Baklava too. Try it, you’ll like the ease of it… No one has EVER been able to tell I’ve used a butter spray instead of the real butter…

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 18th, 2013 at 6:14 am

Oh my gosh, I think you just save me a bajillion calories! I’m SO trying that next time! :)

• Arlene Harris replied on February 24th, 2013 at 8:33 pm

That’s great I hope you like it, especially how easy it is…. ;)

48. laurasmess posted on January 19, 2013 at 4:32 pm (#)

Hi Dorothy! Haha, one of my good friends is Lebanese and her father owns a restaurant… he makes his own (absolutely hands-down, amazing) baklava in a very traditional manner. I think he’d have a heart attack if I showed him your recipe!! But… despite that, your baklava looks delicious! I love anything with peanut butter and chocolate. I’ll definitely give them a try.

49. HungryLittleGirl posted on January 20, 2013 at 2:03 pm (#)

Growing up with Turkish people, I had lots of Baklava in my live, tho I have to admit, I have barely seen any that beautiful and mouthwatering!
    Thank you so much for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza – hope to see you there again next week – and don’t forget the voting is today!

50. Charity Vincent posted on January 20, 2013 at 8:41 pm (#)

OK so I really want to make this! However…the whole process with the damp towel is confusing the crap outta me!!! Could you please post pics of the process (if at all possible)???

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 21st, 2013 at 6:35 am

I’m sorry it’s confusing! I am SO bad at process photos, which is why I rarely take them. If I ever make baklava again, I’ll have to have my husband help me do it. :) So, for the plastic and damp towel, it’s to keep the phyllo from drying out. Place your phyllo on a cutting board next to where you are assembling your baklava. Cover it with a sheet of plastic wrap and then a damp kitchen towel on top. Then, when you are doing your layers, pull back the towel/wrap, butter your layer, place it on the baklava, and cover the rest of the phyllo back up. During the steps when you are doing lots of just phyllo (no peanut butter) at the beginning and the end, you don’t have to recover it. If you need photos for in process, The Pioneer Woman has some great ones! http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/12/baklava/ You can use my recipe but her method photos to get a yummy peanut butter baklava! :)

51. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on January 21, 2013 at 11:25 am (#)

I could have sworn that I commented on this already. Maybe it was on FB or something… Anyway… I LOVE THIS! Pinned! I so want to make this. It looks wonderfully decadent! Thanks so much for sharing on Two Cup Tuesday at Pint Sized Baker. Please stop by tonight and link up again!

52. Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen posted on January 21, 2013 at 1:34 pm (#)

I’m pretty sure I’d dream about this one too if I’d had it that long ago! I bet you’re kicking yourself that you took this long to tackle it :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 21st, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Yes, that’s for sure!

• Michelle replied on October 20th, 2013 at 9:54 pm

I made this today and it was good. What type of peanut butter and chocolate did you use? I feel I did not use a good peanut butter and I did not use enough chocolate.

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 21st, 2013 at 7:39 am

I always use Skippy Naturals Michelle. It’s my favorite because it has such a true peanut flavor, but is no-stir. I usually use either Hershey chocolate chips, or Guittard. Those are my two favorites!

53. Pingback: Over 50 Insanely Delicious Chocolate & Peanut Butter Recipes

54. Shelly posted on January 26, 2013 at 2:38 pm (#)

Found this on Pinterest I believe… or facebook??? Just made it! Haven’t tried it yet but it looks and smells yummy. Loved your post and shall return! Thank you for this recipe as I have never made such a fancy baklava or any baklava before for that matter… it’s my first too.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 27th, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Yay! I hoped you liked it. My mouth is watering just thinking of it. :)

• Shelly replied on February 5th, 2013 at 11:55 am

It was pretty amazing! Killer sweet and melts in your mouth!!! I had to share it with a bunch of friends and family to keep me from eating it all. even my husband loved it. Thanks for the great recipe :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 5th, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I’m so glad you liked it! Sharing is definitely a must…or larger pants. Whatever. ;)

55. Stephanie @ LadyWithTheRedRocker.com posted on February 3, 2013 at 7:28 pm (#)

Yep. I pretty much died when I saw this recipe! So stinking good!
    Must make! Thanks for sharing! :D

~Stephanie

56. Pingback: Nutella Chocolate Chip Baklava

57. Pingback: 60+ Peanut Butter Desserts - Something Swanky

58. Erin @ Making Memories posted on March 29, 2013 at 8:16 pm (#)

Well, this is in the oven right now and it smells wonderful! I don’t think I am going to be able to wait until it cools before I devour it. Willpower at it’s greatest! Thanks for another amazing recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 31st, 2013 at 7:22 am

Great Erin! I hope you love it! :)

59. Erin @ Making Memories posted on April 8, 2013 at 11:36 am (#)

Ho Dorothy. I posted this today. Holy heck! My absolute new favorite dessert! Amazing!!! Thank you so much for this one!

60. Erin @ Making Memories posted on April 8, 2013 at 11:37 am (#)

Ah crud. That was supposed to be HI, not Ho =o)

61. Kristin posted on April 25, 2013 at 8:13 am (#)

I lived a couple of miles from Garibaldi for 9 years and Bay Front Bakery is still there :) I don’t remember ever seeing baklava, but they have the best maple bars and breads! I worked at the Cheese Factory and they supplied us with many products. Miss the Oregon coast!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 25th, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I miss that place so much. I’m jealous you could go there whenever you wanted! :)

62. aimee posted on April 25, 2013 at 1:37 pm (#)

Oh my gosh, this looks amazing. I’ve only have baklava a few times, but I love peanut butter. yum!

63. Jenn posted on April 30, 2013 at 10:05 am (#)

This looks absolutely amazing!! I’ve never tried baklava before but I definitely need to make this now! Pinned!

64. Pingback: Oreo Peanut Butter - Crazy for Crust

65. Gloria @ Simply Gloria posted on June 8, 2013 at 8:20 am (#)

I love baking with phyllo dough…and I’ll eat anything with PB! What a perfect treat…Already pinned!
    I want to go to Tillamook and do a tour…just bcz I truly believe they have the best ice cream and butter and everything! What a fun story you shared with us.

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 8th, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Thanks Gloria! You must go to Tillamook if you can sometime. I have so many fond memories of it!

66. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on July 28, 2013 at 10:51 am (#)

Ok sooo….I’m thoroughly confused about what I’m supposed to do with the phyllo…..:P I’m gonna make this today or tomorrow and I have some homemade phyllo and I am just trying to figure out how to do this lol

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 29th, 2013 at 7:38 am

Sorry Kayle, I just saw this. Email me with questions! I used the PW’s tutorial – she’s got photos of each step. I linked to it in the post!

67. Pingback: Toffee Pretzel Peanut Butter Cookies {Appreciation Post} - Crazy for Crust

68. Christine (CookTheStory) posted on November 17, 2013 at 1:27 pm (#)

I love baklava, and this recipe with peanut butter and chocolate too. Oh my, my mouth is watering as I write this. Thanks.

69. Pingback: 15 Holiday Recipes You Must Make - Crazy for Crust

70. Linda posted on November 29, 2013 at 9:12 pm (#)

So many things to say. First, the question. How do you cut in your pan without cutting the pan? The one time I tried to make homemade baklava I couldn’t figure that part out. Second, I’m lucky enough to have toured the Tillamook Cheese Factory AND lucky to have moved to Portland roughly 11 years ago and it is an easy drive to Garibaldi and the coast…love that!! Thanks for a super recipe I can’t wait to try. Just can’t figure out how to avoid cutting my pan!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 30th, 2013 at 7:33 am

I’m so jealous you can go whenever you want!!!! :) I used a glass pan for these. They still stick, but at least there aren’t any cut marks when I’m done! :)

71. Pingback: Current Cravings | Keep It Sweet Desserts

72. Tina Truex posted on December 14, 2013 at 4:57 am (#)

I realize this is an old post… But I am New – so checking everything out! Love it by the way! This looks sooooooo gooooood.
    I love anything chocolate peanut butter . I love baklava too so…. Perfect combination. I will read her tutorial from Pioneer Woman to help me. If I don’t succeed I have a Greek friend who is a pro at baklava. She has same addition to peanut butter and chocolate so I will share with her. Thanks again!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 15th, 2013 at 6:38 pm

It may be an old post, but this is my FAVORITE recipe! Thank you!

73. yasemin posted on December 14, 2013 at 11:38 pm (#)

You should eat Baklava in Turkey ! I haven’t seen such a Baklava recipe but it may be good. We use pistachio or walnut. If it’s summer, you should consume it with ice-cream. Mmmm i wish it was summer now :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 15th, 2013 at 6:37 pm

YUM! Baklava + ice cream? Genius!

74. Linda posted on December 16, 2013 at 7:01 pm (#)

Dorothy, I hope I’m doing this one right. Phyllo is forgiving I know but my schedule went a little awry right in the middle (car issues). I did use the optional nuts but I couldn’t seem to see where you indicating using them. Am I missing that in the recipe? I “guessed” that you did them and the chocolate chips on the same level each time. That’s all that seemed to make sense but maybe I got that wrong and the nuts should have been on a different level. Thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 16th, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Yes that is correct! You can add the nuts with the chocolate chips! You did it perfect. Enjoy!!! And I’m sorry about the car trouble!

75. Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures posted on December 20, 2013 at 7:08 am (#)

OH MY! I LOVE this!

76. Pingback: Sweet {it's} Friday!: Peanut Butter Baklava | {i love} my disorganized life{i love} my disorganized life

77. Amy posted on March 26, 2014 at 2:59 pm (#)

I’m having company and would love to make this in advance. Can you freeze it and reheat? Also do you know how long it lasts ? Do you have to serve it the day you make it? Thank you!

78. Amy posted on March 26, 2014 at 3:01 pm (#)

Hi, Can you freeze this and reheat? How long will it last before it goes bad. Thank you!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 26th, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I’m not sure about freezing, but I don’t see why not (just be careful, it’s sticky – be sure to freeze in something nonstick). Not much was left of this after our party, but I think it would last a few days in an airtight container.

79. Glenda posted on April 22, 2014 at 12:46 pm (#)

Oh man! I’m so glad you tried this and then shared it. You’re a good woman! :) I can’t wait to try this one out on my family!

80. Debbie Caraballo posted on July 4, 2014 at 7:06 pm (#)

I cannot imagine anything that would be better than this. Ever. Thanks so much!

81. Sera posted on July 11, 2014 at 1:21 pm (#)

This looks amazing! Can I use an 8×8 instead of the 9 inch pan?

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 11th, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Yes you can Sera! You’ll just end up with a thicker baklava, so the baking time might be affected (take longer). Enjoy!

82. Charlotte posted on July 30, 2014 at 3:01 am (#)

I just made this and WOW. Nothing like it in the UK. So easy to make and so delicious. Thank you!!!

83. Pingback: Crazy for Crust {The Blogger Ten} - Taste and Tell