Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Cookie Bars taste like peanut butter cups in cookie bar form! A sweet peanut butter filling is sandwiched between soft chocolate cookie layers studded with chocolate chips. A real treat for all the PB and chocolate fans!
I seem to have made it a mission in life to replicate chocolate peanut butter cups into all different kinds of forms – cookies, pies, cakes, and now chocolate cookie bars!
PB stuffed cookie bars are just another amazing way to enjoy that classic combination.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- I’m showing you how to stuff peanut butter in cookie bars, so it slices beautifully with distinct layers.
- And speaking of peanut butter, the filling tastes just like a peanut butter cup with a similar texture.
- You can make this with Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder, so you get that rich, dark chocolate flavor in the cookie layers.
- You don’t need a mixer for this recipe – just two bowls and a spoon or spatula.
- These are super freezer-friendly! You can make them and freeze them for up to two months.
Soft chocolate cookie layers with peanut butter filling are waiting for you! Trust me – you are going to want to give these peanut butter stuffed bars a try.
Table of Contents
- Butter: I always use unsalted butter and we’re melting it for this recipe
- Sugar: Granulated sugar and light brown sugar are used
- Large egg, Vanilla, Baking Soda, Salt: typical in cookies
- Cocoa: I use Special Dark cocoa powder in this but you can also use natural unsweetened or
- All-purpose flour: Be sure to measure it correctly
- Chocolate Chips: you can use semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- Peanut butter: use a regular no-stir peanut butter
- Powdered sugar: Sweetens the filling
- Milk: Thins the filling so it’s not too thick
How to Make Peanut Butter Stuffed Cookie Bars
For these chocolate bars, you will want to make the chocolate cookie part first.
1. Cream: Start by combining the melted butter with the granulated sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl.
2. Finish the Cookie Batter: Once the mixture is smooth, add the egg and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Mix in the cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly stir in the flour and mix just until the batter is smooth and combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl to ensure everything is mixed. Slowly stir in the chocolate chips.
3. Pan: Take half of the dough and press it into the bottom of a prepared 8×8” baking dish. Reserve the rest of the dough for the top layer after you’ve added the peanut butter.
4. Filling: To make the filling, heat the peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl for about 45 seconds. Whisk in the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk and, as the mixture thickens, switch to a spatula or spoon to finish mixing. Spread the peanut butter filling over the chocolate layer in the baking dish. Don’t spread it entirely to the edges – leave a small border.
5. Topping: Use your hands to press the rest of the chocolate cookie dough on top of the filling. Be sure to cover the filling and seal the edges completely. The layer will be very thin but should completely cover the top.
6. Bake: Bake the cookie bars for 28 to 33 minutes at 350°F. They are done when the tops are no longer glossy.
- Pan Size: You can’t use a baking dish that is bigger than 8×8” for this recipe. There is just enough chocolate dough for this size pan – any larger, and you won’t have enough dough to cover the top and bottom.
- If you want to use a 9×13” pan, you will need to make a double batch of the chocolate cookie dough and the peanut butter filling.
- Don’t skip lining the baking pan with foil. Leave an overhang, and it will be easy to lift the bars out in one piece once they are cooled and before you slice them. You can use parchment if you prefer.
- The cookie layers will be very thin, so don’t worry if it seems like there’s not enough dough. As long as you are using an 8×8” pan, there will be enough to make two thin layers.
- When you make the top cookie layer, it helps to spray your hands with cooking spray to keep the dough from sticking.
- Store these chocolate cookie bars for up to three days in an airtight container. Or, you can freeze them for up to two months!
Other Peanut Butter Chocolate Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Cookie Bars Recipe
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup (67g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (100g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (17g) unsweetened cocoa powder (use special dark to get the dark look of these bars)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅓ (155g) cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (170g) chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk)
Peanut Butter Filling:
- ¾ cup (200g) peanut butter
- 1 cup (113g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8-inch pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place melted butter in a large bowl. You just need a wooden spoon to mix these! Add granulated and brown sugars and stir until the mixture is smooth. Stir in egg and vanilla extract.
- Stir in cocoa, baking soda, and salt, then slowly mix in flour and mix just until the batter is smooth and comes together. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bow. Slowly stir in chocolate chips.
- Press half of cookie dough in the bottom of the prepared pan. Layer will be thin. If it sticks to your hands spray them with nonstick cooking spray so they don’t stick, or press them down with a spatula.
- Place peanut butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 45 seconds, or until it’s smooth and liquid. Whisk in the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Switch to a wooden spoon or spatula and stir until combined. Mixture will be thick. Spread over cookie layer leaving a small border around the edges.
- Use your hands to press the remaining cookie dough on top of the peanut butter layer, being sure to seal the edges. There will be just enough cookie dough for a thin layer.
- Bake for 28-33 minutes or until the top looks no longer glossy. Cool completely before slicing into bars.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
These Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Cookie Bars consist of a sweet peanut butter filling sandwiched between soft chocolate cookie layers studded with chocolate chips.
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: May 16, 2021