Jan 15

Butterscotch Pecan Magic Bars

butterscotch pecan magic bars

Are you tired of full and rich and fattening desserts yet? No?

Phew.

Because really…I can’t stop. Sure…I’m trying to use low-fat ingredients, just for you (and so I can wear pants without elastic).

But it’s haaaard (she whines).

So anyway, if you’re being all good and fantastic and you haven’t had sugar in a week…well I envy you. Because I can’t stop!

Just pin these and they will be waiting for you when you need something uber sweet.

These will fulfill that requirement. And more!

butterscotch pecan magic bars

I think it’s no secret by this point that I {heart} magic bars. I mean, I made my first batch of them in the summer. And since then I’ve made approximately 7,242,123 kinds.

{Okay, I might be exaggerating. But you get the idea.}

These were born of my love of butterscotch. {Right then, my mom just scratched her head and sighed…because as a kid I would never touch the stuff. Wouldn’t go near her butterscotch krispie treats. Poor woman never got her fill.}

There is something about butterscotch and pecans that just is right. And, ever since I made magic bars with a brownie crust, I’ve been thinking of other types of crust. This one is a cake mix: Butter Pecan Cake Mix. It adds another layer of pecan flavor that totally compliments the butterscotch.

And, well. You pour sweetened condensed milk over anything and it just makes everything right with the world, right?

butterscotch pecan magic bars

So…yeah. I’m not stopping the magic bar love anytime soon. Fat pants be damned!

What would your dream flavor of magic bar be?

Butterscotch Pecan Magic Bars

Butterscotch Pecan Magic Bars

• 1 Butter Pecan Cake Mix
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 1 bag butterscotch chips
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13” pan with foil and spray well with cooking spray.
  2. Mix cake mix, egg, and butter in a bowl with an electric mixer, until combined. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.
  3. Sprinkle butterscotch chips and nuts over the top of the crust. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the chips and nuts.
  4. Bake for 28-30 minutes, until it begins to brown. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

{Inspired by Stella B’s Kitchen.}

Other Magic Bar goodness:

Cookies ‘n Cream Magic Bars

cookies n cream magic bars 4 words

Monster Magic 7-Layer Bars

Monster Magic 7 layer 2 words

Magic from friends:
Monster Magic Cookie Bars by Something Swanky
Lightened Up Magical Coconut Bars by Oh She Glows
Nutella Hazelnut Magic Bars by Cookin’ Cowgirl

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingLil’ LunaBuns In My OvenChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

37 Responses to “Butterscotch Pecan Magic Bars”

1. Tonii posted on January 15, 2013 at 4:03 pm (#)

YUM!! We love butterscotch at our place so I KNOW these would be a big hit! And that peanut butter baklavah you posted?! LOOKS AMAZING!! You are so creative!

2. Mom posted on January 15, 2013 at 4:51 pm (#)

I’m glad you finally found your love of butterscotch because now I get wonderful things like this. Speaking of which, are there some saved in the freezer for me?
    Love you,
    Mom

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 16th, 2013 at 7:01 am

LOL, no. Sorry. I need to start a “mom container” in the freezer…

3. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on January 15, 2013 at 5:01 pm (#)

I totally want to stuff one of these in my pie hole (er, magic bar hole?) right now. LOVE the butterscotch!

4. Allyson posted on January 15, 2013 at 5:06 pm (#)

These look incredible!

5. Baking Serendipity posted on January 15, 2013 at 6:25 pm (#)

I love these bars! And have had way too much sugar in my week already. I can’t imagine a little more would hurt :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 15th, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Nope, sugar never hurts! :)

6. Pingback: S'mOreo Seven Layer Bars - Something Swanky

7. Meg @ Sweet Twist posted on January 15, 2013 at 6:55 pm (#)

Yes condensed milk over anything tends to something yummy. :-) These are no exception.

8. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on January 15, 2013 at 7:04 pm (#)

Butter Pecan is SUCH an awesome flavor. And with butterscotch or sweetened condensed milk..pretty much I’d be in heaven. They look sooo chomp-able and perfect, Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 15th, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Thank you Averie! Yeah, all the flavors were so good together. I ate waaaay too many. :)

9. Heather @French Press posted on January 15, 2013 at 7:31 pm (#)

again with the drool – this cleanse is going to be very hard with all the goodies I look at every day. last year I didn’t have any trouble – but I was’t blogging then.

28 days seems too long to wait for magic bars

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 15th, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I’ll make you whatever flavor you want and deliver them on Day 29. :)

10. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on January 15, 2013 at 8:12 pm (#)

It must be magic bar week…I just took pictures today of the lemon ones I made on Sunday afternoon. After seeing yours and Ashton’s I need more magic bars in my life!!! Butterscotch is one of my favorites…I love uber sweet goodness! Keep it coming!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 16th, 2013 at 6:59 am

Lemon? You rock sister. I still have a bag in my fridge! :)

11. Kristin posted on January 15, 2013 at 10:16 pm (#)

The Cookies and Cream one appeals to me. What about a Red Velvet or Peanut Butter Cookie one?

(I’m throwing these out there and you can steal them if you are so inclined. I’m pretty lazy. Though if you come up with a recipe, I myself might be inclined to make it :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 16th, 2013 at 6:39 am

LOL! I love both ideas!! :)

12. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on January 16, 2013 at 7:03 am (#)

Yes yes yes yes YES please! Magic/7 layer bars are my current obsession and I have no intention of stopping the madness anytime soon. Butterscotch and pecan? Sign my fat a$$ up to eat the entire pan and then some.

13. sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more posted on January 16, 2013 at 8:32 am (#)

I swear I am going to make magic bars one of these days! They look so good.

14. aimee @ shugarysweets posted on January 16, 2013 at 1:19 pm (#)

I LOVE butterscotch. Like Love it I want to marry it. These look amazing!!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 16th, 2013 at 7:38 pm

LOL, me too. But then again, give me a sweet and I’d want to marry that too.

15. tina posted on January 16, 2013 at 1:38 pm (#)

Oh my goodness, do these look GOOD!!.. And I’m betting my mother would love them too. It might be nice, I think, if I made her a batch for Valentines Day/Mother’s Day, so thanks for sharing the recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 16th, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Thanks Tina! I hope she loves them!

16. tanya posted on January 16, 2013 at 2:58 pm (#)

I am not tired of rich and fattening desserts! Bring them on sister! Love the base for these yummy bars!

17. Trish @ Mom On Timeout posted on January 17, 2013 at 3:41 pm (#)

Not tired of them yet ;) These look amazing Dorothy! Pinning, stumbling, getting fatter…you know the drill!

18. Liz @ Tip Top Shape posted on January 26, 2013 at 2:33 pm (#)

This looks amazing!!! Just found your blog and I absolutely love it and its design!

19. Sarah @ the magical slow cooker posted on May 9, 2013 at 5:45 pm (#)

I love magic bars, but you just made them better with pecans! I can’t wait to try this! thanks for the recipe.

20. Pingback: 31 Seven Layer Magic Bar Recipes - Crazy for Crust