Dec 06

Peanut Butter Chocolate Bark and a Holiday Recap Round-Up

Okay, I have a sobering thought for all of you:

Christmas is in LESS THAN THREE WEEKS. How did that happen?

I’ve been merrily humming along, baking when the urge strikes, Christmas treats and others goodies…and WHAM! Only a couple more weeks to post all my holiday favorites.

I was looking back at my posts from last year when inspiration hit. I realized I should share all those posts again with you…because…well…I have so many new friends now. And some of the stuff I made last year was gooooood.

To start it off, I’m going to share with you a bark recipe I actually posted two years ago. It’s from the “let’s never speak of that again” period. When fuzzy, dark, brown photos were my norm. Since it’s my favorite holiday recipe EVER, it needed a facelift.

It’s peanut butter and chocolate, on top of brown sugar butter toffee on top of matzo crackers. Like saltine toffee bark on crack, seriously. I make it every single year, sometimes multiple times. And you know that if I make something more than once, it has to be good.

The recipe is below…enjoy!

Now…let’s take a trip to Christmas past…

Elf Munch (Free Printable!)

Chocolate Mint Kiss Crinkle Cookies

Baked Chocolate Pudding

White Chocolate Cheesecake Peppermint Cookies

Stuffed Snowballs

Gingerbread Cookie Dough Truffles

Kiss My Cookie Bark {Peppermint Edition}

Peppermint Pie

Christmas Tree Brownie Bites

Honeycomb

Scotch Krispie Bark

And….now I’m hungry. Excuse me while I go stuff my face with this years’ haul.

For step-by-step photos of the Peanut Butter Chocolate Bark, you can find the original post here. Please don’t judge my photos! ;)

Peanut Butter Chocolate Bark

Recipe from Everyday with Rachael Ray.

• 4 matzo crackers (unsalted or lightly salted)
  • 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons of water
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • One 12-ounce bag of chocolate chips (any kind)
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, covering the bottom and sides. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place a layer of matzo crackers on the sheet, breaking as needed to cover the sides; set aside.
  2. In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the sugar and 2 tablespoons of water. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook undisturbed over medium-high heat until the caramel mixture is a light golden and registers 255 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 1 minute. Stir in the vanilla and quickly pour over the matzos, using a metal spatula to spread evenly. Bake for 8 minutes.
  3. Remove the bark from the oven and sprinkle with the chocolate chips. Return to the oven and bake just until the chocolate starts to melt, about 2 minutes, then spread the chocolate evenly.
  4. Meanwhile, melt the peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl for 1-1 1/2 minutes, until it is a pourable consistency. Drizzle the peanut butter over the chocolate and, using the handle of a wooden spoon, swirl the chocolate and peanut butter together.
  5. Let the bark cool for 1 hour, then refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours. Break into pieces and serve.

42 Responses to “Peanut Butter Chocolate Bark and a Holiday Recap Round-Up”

1. Living The Sweet Life posted on December 6, 2012 at 5:38 pm (#)

:) Great roundup!! I love this time of year so much, but it sneaks up SO QUICKLY!! I also love your quick and easy bark recipe. Anywhere there’s peanut butter and chocolate – I’m game <3

• crazyforcrust replied on December 7th, 2012 at 6:17 am

It so does! I can’t believe how fast. Thanks so much!

2. Ashton @ Something Swanky posted on December 6, 2012 at 5:48 pm (#)

Ah, so many favorites :) Confession: I have never made Christmas Crack. And I think I’ve only tasted it once!!!! Can you believe that?? I always think that I need to make it, but never get around to it. Not this year though! I’m getting it done!!! Thanks for the recipe– I’ve never heard of it with peanut butter before!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 7th, 2012 at 6:17 am

You MUST make it. Or, better yet, I’ll make it for you when we SEE each other IN PERSON. :)

3. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on December 6, 2012 at 6:26 pm (#)

adore this round up. so many sweet treats. and you know i am a SUCKER for pb and chocolate. and just when i think i am all “barked” out this holiday season – you prove me wrong. :)

• crazyforcrust replied on December 7th, 2012 at 6:17 am

I still have another recipe up my sleeve, lol!

4. Kristin posted on December 6, 2012 at 6:51 pm (#)

2 sticks of butter? This must be good.

I’m doing a round-up tomorrow. How funny!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 7th, 2012 at 6:16 am

Oh, yeah. 2 sticks make it great!

5. Emily posted on December 6, 2012 at 7:17 pm (#)

Wow, they all look fab!

6. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on December 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm (#)

I’m off to go read that Honeycomb post! wow! I love honeycomb candy. This toffee also looks great!
    I can’t believe Christmas is so close! I’ve still got a ton of x-mas recipes to do and I’ve got to get a New Year something done… sigh… I don’t want to think about it!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 7th, 2012 at 6:16 am

I know, me too. I realized the other day I’m never going to be able to post all the Christmas stuff I want too! :(

7. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on December 6, 2012 at 8:05 pm (#)

Eek, I remember that Honeycomb! It was the first thing I saw when I first came to your site :) omg, that was like, over a year ago! Yay, so glad we’re BFFs now!

This bark is insane. Soooo is the fact that Christmas is less than 3 weeks away which means my birthday is a month and less than 3 weeks away, woot! Let’s go drinking!

8. Jenn posted on December 6, 2012 at 8:27 pm (#)

These all look yummy, but I have my eye on those Chocolate Mint Kiss Crinkles!

9. Erin @ Wholly Delicious Dish. es posted on December 6, 2012 at 9:43 pm (#)

OMG!!! Only 3 weeks left. I’m not even close to being ready for Christmas. You have many wonderful and delicious treats to choose from. I think those Chocolate Mint Kiss Crinkles would have to be first on my list:)

• crazyforcrust replied on December 7th, 2012 at 6:15 am

Those were good, I need to make them again! And I’m going crazy, realized I still have so much to get for Christmas!

10. sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more posted on December 7, 2012 at 5:24 am (#)

it all looks so good!

11. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on December 7, 2012 at 7:01 am (#)

What a fun round up! I love the Christmas tree brownie bites!

12. Joan@Chocolateandmore posted on December 7, 2012 at 8:01 am (#)

I love bark, in any way, any shape and flavor! But peanut Butter and Chocolate, well, they just go together. And I didn’t need the reminder about the time slipping away. I know, and I haven’t wrapped a single gift yet. I’m no where near done shopping, and there is so much more I want to make. At least the tree and most of the decorations are up. Oh and it’s only 18 days until Christmas, way less than 3 weeks!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 7th, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Ahhhhhh! I got a little more done today. Still more to go. Sigh.

13. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on December 7, 2012 at 8:27 am (#)

AHHHH TIME IS FLYING BY SO FAST!!!

Also–mm holiday yummies!

14. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie posted on December 7, 2012 at 10:25 am (#)

Loving the addition of peanut butter

15. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on December 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm (#)

What a great roundup, Dorothy! You have soooooo much good stuff on here! And I LOVE the peanut butter and chocolate bark. OMG.

• crazyforcrust replied on December 7th, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Thanks!! It’s soooo good. :)

16. Pingback: Whatever Friday (Facebook Tips & Books I'm reading) | Crazy for Crust

17. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen posted on December 8, 2012 at 6:42 am (#)

This roundup is making my breakfast cereal look boring

18. Rachel @ I Love My Disorganized Life posted on December 8, 2012 at 8:35 am (#)

Love the roundup! SO many things to try, so little time before Christmas! They all look amazingly good {seriously}

19. Reeni posted on December 8, 2012 at 6:11 pm (#)

I love bark made on salty crackers! Especially when PB & chocolate is involved – the ultimate sweet & salty treat!

20. Brenda posted on December 8, 2012 at 9:23 pm (#)

Sooooo many recipes … never enough time!

21. Pingback: Peanut Butter Chocolate Bark and a Holiday Round-Up | Crazy for Crust

22. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on December 9, 2012 at 2:33 pm (#)

3 weeks away? I still have so much shopping and baking to do! I’m sure a batch of this “crack” would help calm my nerves:-) So many yummy recipes shared…I agree the mint crinkles are calling out to me too!!!