May 08

Chocolate Chip Turtle Cookies

chocolate chip turtle cookies

My husband works from home. He’s been doing it since Jordan was about 18 months old, so she’s never known anything different. In fact, she doesn’t quite understand the whole “going to work” thing. It’s kind of funny when she talks about how her friends’ dads are gone all day and have to work (since, obviously, my husband is home which means he’s not working).

{Can’t wait to see where that work idea gets us in about 12 years.}

Anyway, so Mel is home, locked up in his office all day. Most of his day is spent on conference calls with his clients or coworkers (which are spread out all over California and the country). All of his coworkers also work from home offices, so once in awhile they have to do video calls.

Those days are funny. Often, he forgets he has to be on a video call, so as I’m showering he rushes into the bathroom to change his shirt to one with a collar and I have to hand him his razor and the shaving cream so he can shave his 6-day old beard (the one he hasn’t shaved since the last video call).

Then he heads back to his office and shuts the dog and cat in the hallway, hoping WWIII doesn’t begin while he’s talking to his boss.

All in a polo and workout shorts. Or sweat pants, if its winter. And slippers.

I really, really wish I could see what all the people are wearing on their calls. You know they are all clean shaven, hair brushed, the women have their make-up on. There are polo shirts, button-down shirts, and ties.

And then below the desks? Bunny slippers and flip-flops? Slips and boxers?

One of these days they should just all count to three and stand up.

Or maybe not?

So, if you’re lucky enough to have your husband working at home during the day, he can probably take five minutes out of his lunch break to make these cookies for you for Mother’s Day.

Because, seriously, that’s all the time it takes.

Chocolate chip cookies, melted chocolate, pecans, and melted caramel. That’s all you need to make these little bites of wonderful.

And to make it even easier? You can start with a refrigerator cookie. Or even your favorite bag of Chips Ahoy!

Top with melted chocolate. Top with melted caramel. Top with a pecan and chocolate drizzle.

Done.

Then he can go back to his office, sweats, apron, and all.

(Recipe from Nabisco Sweet Treats Magazine)
Chocolate Chip Turtle Cookies

• 3 squares semi-sweet chocolate, divided
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 12 chocolate chip cookies, baked and cooled (from your favorite recipe, a tube, or even a package of Chips Ahoy!)
  • 6 caramels
  • 2 teaspoons milk
  • 12 pecan halves

1. Melt two chocolate squares and butter in a microwaveable bowl about 1 minute until chocolate is melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Spread onto the cookies and let harden.
  2. Microwave the caramels and milk in a small bowl for about 1 minute. Stir until smooth. Melt remaining chocolate square in a separate bowl.
  3. Spread caramel onto centers of cookies and top with nuts. Drizzle remaining chocolate over the pecan and let cookies harden before serving.
Enjoy!

57 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Turtle Cookies”

1. Hayley posted on May 8, 2012 at 6:07 pm (#)

Hahaha, I can tooootally picture all his coworkers wearing like, boxers and stuff underneath their desks with their suit and tie up top. Reminds me of when we had to take senior pictures and I thought every boy and every girl had their own respectable suit and tie and drape, but turns out, they were only COLLARS they put on the boys over their regular t-shirts and quarter jackets. Obviously really classy stuff right there :)
    These cookies? You had me at the caramel. In fact, this kinda sorta makes me wanna dip a chocolate chip cookie into a jar of caramel sauce. Weird? Then I don’t want to be normal. YUM!

PS, hope your day is better tomorrow! (or today, if you’re reading this Wednesday!) :)

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 8th, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Thank you so much Hayley. You were so sweet today. Jordan and her little attitude are already in bed so no matter what, tonight will be an improvement over today. :) AND OMG WHY HAVE I NEVER DIPPED MY COOKIES IN THE CARAMEL JAR??? You’re a genius.

2. Anonymous posted on May 8, 2012 at 6:07 pm (#)

I want some now!
    Love,
    Mom

3. Something Like Susie posted on May 8, 2012 at 6:11 pm (#)

Yeup. I’m definitely drooling and super jealous that your husband gets to work from home. I wish mine could.

4. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on May 8, 2012 at 6:14 pm (#)

Ha! *I* actually work from home on Mondays and Tuesdays, and guess what I’m wearing those days? Sweat pants and slippers, all the way! And, um, yeah…these cookies would be awesome while I’m working away at my home computer!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 8th, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Working from home should be the rule. For everyone! :) Thanks Ashley!

5. SerenaB posted on May 8, 2012 at 6:14 pm (#)

My all time favorite candy in a cookie! Deliciousness! Love it!

6. allisamazing posted on May 8, 2012 at 6:15 pm (#)

These look amazingly delicious.

7. Sewconsult posted on May 8, 2012 at 6:38 pm (#)

I am wiping the drool from my lips as I read through the recipe. I think these may be a treat on Sunday. I have a “bucket” of cookie dough from Sam’s Club in my frig all the time. All I need to do is pick up a bag of caramels. To think that hubby might make them is almost laughable. He can turn on the microwave, but forget it when it comes to the stove or the dishwasher or anything else for that matter. Thanks for the fun post and great cookie idea.
    Beckie in Brentwood, TN

8. Karen - Trilogy Edibles posted on May 8, 2012 at 7:22 pm (#)

I’d kill my husband if he worked from home. So I’ll be making these for me!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 8th, 2012 at 7:30 pm

LOL! I thought I would too. It helps that he travels every few weeks – a day alone in the house! :)

9. Mindy posted on May 8, 2012 at 8:03 pm (#)

I could kiss you right now. No wait. I take that back. I could strangle you right now because I am lacking chocolate chip cookies and caramels.
    Clearly I will now have to step away from the computer to eat a handful of chocolate chips from the baking drawer.
    These are definitely getting pinned.

10. Corrine posted on May 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm (#)

Yum!!! What a great idea, as if I need an excuse to buy a bag of caramels but it’s on my grocery list now!

11. Kristin posted on May 8, 2012 at 9:11 pm (#)

“Turtle” anything catches my attention. You need to toss those in the microwave and throw some ice cream on top. I’d call that dinner :)

12. lizy b posted on May 8, 2012 at 10:15 pm (#)

Oh those look so so so good!! My husband is a work at home, conference call in his bathrobe kind of guy too!! Love the working at home and yes, it is incredibly hard to explain to the kids that Daddy has a real job!

13. doctoratehousewife.com posted on May 9, 2012 at 3:18 am (#)

I’ve nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award. Collect it here: http://doctoratehousewife.com/2012/05/09/the-versatile-blogger-award/

14. Sophie posted on May 9, 2012 at 5:16 am (#)

Wow my mouth is watering! Thanks for sharing! PINNING! :)

15. Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on May 9, 2012 at 5:22 am (#)

yum, I would totally love those, and I would never get out of my pj’s if I worked from home. but I would splurge on super cute ones!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 9th, 2012 at 6:35 am

Probably neither would I. The only reason I do now is because all the moms at pick-up are dressed like they are going to the oscars. ;) Thanks Sue!

16. Jocelyn posted on May 9, 2012 at 6:54 am (#)

haha! I am just giggling thinking about the collared shirts and bunny slippers. I take my kids to school in my pjs, then come home and stay in them until I workout, and then finally I get into real clothes. You have me wanting to go slurp from the caramel jar in my fridge:-) Awesome cookie idea!!!

17. Joan@chocolateandmore posted on May 9, 2012 at 8:20 am (#)

Love this cookie idea, I think I’ll have the kids make some for me!
    Many a time I’ve dropped the kids off at school in my slippers then decided to make a quick run into the grocery store on the way back forgetting I’m wearing my slippers. No one’s ever commented to me but wonder what they were all thinking? Hopefully, lucky girl, she gets to go back home!

18. Julie posted on May 9, 2012 at 9:07 am (#)

Those look fantastic!

19. Mrsblocko posted on May 9, 2012 at 10:25 am (#)

Seriously? Turtle cookies? I want some right now!

Are your cookies stuffed with something? The little square shape on the top makes me think there is something in the middle.

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 14th, 2012 at 10:17 am

No, nothing in the middle. They’re the break-apart refrigerator cookies, the ones that start as squares, and mine never seem to totally loose the square. Possibly because I like half raw cookies so I always underbake. :) Thanks for reading!

20. Catalina @ Cake with Love posted on May 9, 2012 at 11:13 am (#)

I just found ypur blog, and I am so glad I did, all of your recipes are amazing, and I love your header too :) I loce caramel + pecans, so I will definetely try these cookies!

21. Back for Seconds posted on May 9, 2012 at 11:57 am (#)

A spur of the moment “stand up” for all work from home-ers would be hilarious! I bet they all have slippers and pj’s on….well, alot of the men probably just have on boxers! ;)
    These cookies sound awesome! I love anything gooey, and these with their melty caramel look perfect!

22. Carrie Burrill posted on May 9, 2012 at 12:33 pm (#)

I’ll have a few…… or a dozen of these please?!

23. Crunchy Creamy Sweet posted on May 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm (#)

This can be seriously dangerous in our house! :) Tow of my Hubby’s favorite treats in one – you know I have to try this :) Thank you for sharing, Dorothy! xoxo

24. Something Swanky posted on May 9, 2012 at 5:08 pm (#)

mmmmm! These look so delicious Dorothy! Turtle is, by far, one of my favorite flavors. And my husband and I agreed to not buy gifts this year– but only with the stipulation that we get WHATEVER we want food-wise on our respective holidays. I’ll have to keep these cookies in mind ;)

25. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on May 9, 2012 at 5:56 pm (#)

Dorothy, chocolate turtles are my mom’s absolute FAVORITE. I was going to make sure some homemade turtles this weekend for Mother’s Day but these just look like so much fun! You must have had me in mind when you made these :)

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on May 14th, 2012 at 10:18 am

I hope she enjoys her cookies! I can’t wait to see yours. :)

Have a wonderful week!

26. Bev posted on May 10, 2012 at 6:59 pm (#)

OH yum, those look so good! If I was not on a diet, I would be making these tonight!

27. Mindie Hilton posted on May 11, 2012 at 6:25 am (#)

These look like a cookie I will need to bookmark for the holidays when I do lots of baking. Never had a turtle cookie, bet they are great. Thanks for sharing.

28. Deana@CountryMommaCooks posted on May 11, 2012 at 10:03 am (#)

That looks amazing!

29. TidyMom posted on May 12, 2012 at 10:04 am (#)

oh these might be my husband’s dream cookie!

Thanks for linking up! I featured your post in my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2012/12-tempting-desserts/

Have a beautiful Mother’s Day Weekend!

30. Melissa posted on May 12, 2012 at 6:56 pm (#)

My favorite! =)
    I love chocolate chip cookies! these look wonderful!
    Happy Mothers Day!

31. Lisa posted on May 14, 2012 at 10:13 am (#)

These look SO delicious! I am for sure going to make these with my kiddos! Would love for you to link these up with Try a New Recipe Tuesday! :-) Hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day! Many blessings, Lisa

32. Shiloh posted on May 14, 2012 at 10:59 am (#)

Haha, I think the stand up idea might be scarring.:) Those cookies look fabulous. I’m LOVE turtle anything.

33. Mindie Hilton posted on May 16, 2012 at 7:35 am (#)

Featuring on Thursday at Bacon Time!

34. keri @ shaken together posted on May 16, 2012 at 10:31 am (#)

My blood sugar spikes just READING your recipes … love what you do, girl!! Thanks for sharing these at the {what’s shakin’ link party}!!

35. amy and jesse hudson posted on May 17, 2012 at 8:07 pm (#)

Simple yet genius :)

36. Pingback: Magic Turtle Bars

37. Pingback: 25 Chocolate Chip Recipes Round-Up - Sweet Bella Roos

38. Lucy @ Bake Play Smile posted on October 18, 2013 at 6:19 pm (#)

Yum, yum, yum! These look absolutely delicious! I will definitely be trying these out soon! xx

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 18th, 2013 at 6:25 pm