Sep 26

S’more Caramel Apples

S'more Caramel Apples | crazyforcrust.com | A fun new caramel apple! #smores #caramel #apple

I snapped this picture the other day while in my daughters bathroom:

It got me to thinking. Who would win in a Princess fight? (I know, totally inappropriate. But funny and entertaining!)

I mean, Belle has obviously got a leg up on Ariel. Poor Ariel didn’t really have a chance with that whole tail thing.

I see Jasmine as a good fighter, if she needed to be. I mean, she has a pet tiger and all. And she dated a self-proclaimed “street rat.”

I wouldn’t count out Cinderella either. After all those years of domestic work, she’s probably got some good muscles going on under that drab house dress.

Rapunzel has the magical braid. She can do anything with that thing. I think it would hurt if it hit you upside the head.

Aurora…she’s the wild card. All those years in the princess protection program, singing to the birds in the forest may have softened her. But it’s always the meek ones that end up taking out the whole fight club, right?

Don’t even get me started on Barbie and Bratz. I don’t think the Princesses would stand a chance against them.

Anyway, this is where I would segue into the recipe for these S’more Caramel Apples…but I’ve got nothing. I’m not quite sure how to get from Princess Smackdown to this yummy “Summer, meet Fall” recipe. Because that’s really what it is. The last few bites of Summer, all wrapped up into a nice Fall package.

I think caramel apples are the easiest treat to make. All you do is melt some caramels and roll an apple in it. Easy but absolutely delicious.

S’more Apples
Recipe by Crazy for Crust
S’more Caramel Apples

Yield: 5 apples

• 5 wooden sticks or popsicle sticks
  • 1 bag (11-oz) caramel bits (or squares, unwrapped)
  • 2 Tablespoons water
  • 4 graham cracker sheets
  • 2 cups mini marshmallows
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips

1. Finely grind graham crackers in a food processor until only a fine crumb remains. Place in a shallow bowl and set aside. Put marshmallows and chocolate chips on two separate plates and set aside. Put your sticks in the center of your apples. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper.
  2. Heat caramel bits and water over medium heat. Stir until melted (about 3-5 minutes). Once melted, turn the heat very low (you want to keep the caramel warm).
  3. Working quickly, one apple at a time, dip in caramel. You may need to tip the pan and/or use a spoon to help you cover the entire thing. Dip the bottom half of the caramel apple in the graham cracker crumbs. Roll the top half in the chocolate chips and then the marshmallows. Place it on the cookie sheet. Add more marshmallows or chocolate chips where there are gaps. Repeat with remaining apples.
  4. Chill until hardened, at least 30 minutes. Store in refrigerator. These look really cute as gifts, wrapped in a cellophane bag. You will probably have some caramel left over. Use it to dip apple slices in (or eat with a spoon).
Enjoy!

15 Responses to “S’more Caramel Apples”

1. Something Swanky posted on September 26, 2011 at 6:48 am (#)

Sweeeeeeeeet! I have totally never won a giveaway! I’m so excited! Emailing you now :)

THANKS!

2. Sweet And Crumby posted on September 26, 2011 at 6:57 am (#)

My kids would go CRAZY for this! You will be their new princess if I make these and honor you with the idea and recipe!

3. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on September 26, 2011 at 7:03 am (#)

@Sweet And Crumby
    You make me laugh! My daughter was absolutely crazy about these and sad that I gave some away. :) Thanks for your comment!

4. Joy @ Joy Of Desserts posted on September 26, 2011 at 11:59 am (#)

HA! Funny post, Dorothy. I’m voting for Jasmine. :-) The marshmallows are a nice addition to the traditional caramel apple. Congrats to Ashton.

5. Tisha posted on September 26, 2011 at 1:04 pm (#)

So dang funny!!!!! Headed to Apple Hill this weekend. Think I’ll have to pick a batch of apples specifically for these!!!!!! YUM!!!

6. Karen @ Trilogy Edibles posted on September 26, 2011 at 3:08 pm (#)

I wanted to make these last week for my kids, at least plain ones but they wouldn’t eat them and then I’d be stuck eating them all :) But these look great! and for the record, Belle all the way!

7. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on September 26, 2011 at 6:23 pm (#)

@Tisha
    Yum! I’m hoping to go to Apple Hill in a few weeks. I can taste the doughnuts now…

@Karen @ Trilogy Edibles
    I’m glad Jordan liked them because I totally would have eaten them all! She was made I gave some away. :)

8. kyleen posted on September 26, 2011 at 7:51 pm (#)

Cinderella would definitely win; she’s not afraid to get down to business and get her hands dirty :D On a completely unrelated note, your s’mores caramel apples look delicious!

9. Jo and Sue posted on September 27, 2011 at 11:11 am (#)

Your post made me laugh :) I would have to give it to Mulan though…the girl knew how to use a sword! These apples look tasty! We are having a bake sale pretty soon and I think these would make a wonderful addition to the table! Thanks for the great idea.

10. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on September 27, 2011 at 7:05 pm (#)

@kyleen
    I think you have a valid point about Cinderella…any girl who cleans the fire place can get down and dirty with the rest of them! Thanks for reading. :)

@Jo and Sue
    I can’t believe I forgot about Mulan. The sword thing would be a huge advantage. Thanks for your sweet comment! :)

11. So Domesticated posted on September 28, 2011 at 1:42 pm (#)

Love these… caramel apples are so much fun to make!

12. rebecca @ beurrista posted on September 29, 2011 at 5:39 am (#)

um, my apologies for linking my not-so-sweet baked potato with this link party! my brain cells… anyhow, i put in a dessert instead. don’t know if you can delete that link or not, but please do if you can!

13. Vicky posted on September 29, 2011 at 1:13 pm (#)

I love caramel apples and the addition of the s’mores is brilliant! I am a new follower from Mushki Loves. Vicky @ http://www.messforless.net

14. bj posted on September 29, 2011 at 7:36 pm (#)

Sounds delicious and they sure are pretty. :)

15. Mindie Hilton posted on September 30, 2011 at 9:11 am (#)

Following you on pinterest.
    These sound delicious. I would love for you to share at my weekly linky fri-mon
    Come strut your stuff.