Looking for an easy, fast treat for your Valentine? Red Hots Muddy Buddies are the perfect blend of spicy and sweet!
I’m Red Hot For You Valentine!
Oh Valentine, You Make Me Sizzle.
Valentine, You’re Spicy Sweet!
Okay, sorry. I couldn’t resist. I mean, it’s a Red Hots treat for Valentine’s Day, after all. Believe me, I had a lot more sayings. None of them entirely appropriate for a food blog, either. Ahem.
Have you seen all the muddy buddies (aka puppy chow) around blogland lately? I’ve been inspired! But, with all the inspiration, I had the hardest time coming up with a flavor to make. And then I had it: Red Hots! The ultimate Valentine candy! Well, at least, I remember them being Valentine Candy. Now, you know, they aren’t. And, I guess they aren’t very popular, because I had to go to three stores to find them. (FYI, Walmart and Walgreens carry them, in boxes, movie-theatre style.)
I’m not a huge Red Hots fan; they are too strong for me. So I wondered what would happen when I made these into muddy buddies. And I was very happy with the result!
These are so simple to make. First, you need to crush your Red Hots. I didn’t do this for my first batch and they didn’t melt very much. So, put them in a plastic bag and whack away with a glass. Just be sure to put the bag on a paper plate first – holes appear quickly and you don’t want to clean Red Hot dust out of your grout.
Then you simply melt candy melts and the red hots together with a bit of oil. Be sure to stir it often – the candy hardens quick. Spread the melted mixture over Chex mix, shake it in powdered sugar, and you’re done! Just be sure to pull out any Red Hots that didn’t melt all the way before serving – you don’t want anyone to break a tooth!
The sweetness of the vanilla candy cuts the cinnamon flavor quite a bit. You get a hint of cinnamon, and mingled with the sweetness, this is quite a tasty treat.
So you can serve it up to your Valentine and say, “I think you’re Red Hot!”
Sorry, couldn’t help myself.
Red Hots Muddy Buddies
- 4 ounces vanilla flavored almond bark or candy melts
- 3 1/2 cups Chex cereal
- 1/3 cup Red Hots crushed
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Place Chex in a large bowl. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. Place powdered sugar in a large zip-top plastic bag.
- You can crush your Red Hots in a plastic bag. Place the bag on a paper plate and bash the bag with the bottom of a glass.
- Place candy melts, oil, and Red Hots in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for about 2 minutes, stirring well every 30 seconds. The Red Hots will stick to the side of the bowl so be sure to scrape it when you stir.
- Once candy has melted together (there will still be small pieces of Red Hots evident in the candy) pour it over the Chex and stir well. Pour the cereal in the plastic bag. Seal (be sure it’s sealed) and shake vigorously, to coat all the cereal with powdered sugar. Turn out onto cookie sheet and let cool. Pick out any whole Red Hots before serving. Those are too hard to chew!
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
More snack ideas for your Valentine:
Last Updated on May 15, 2020
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: February 10, 2013