This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This Twisted Pizza Recipe is a pull-apart pizza bread that’s super easy to make! It’s great for a party or dinner when it’s pizza night. You can use store-bought pizza crust or create your own – add your favorite toppings, and you get hot and cheesy twisted pizza everyone will love.
Table of Contents
Easy Pizza Twist Pull Aparts
This pull apart pizza bread recipe is such a fun way to satisfy a pizza craving, and it costs way less than ordering out. It’s also quick to make – in the time you would wait for pizza delivery, you can make this pizza bread recipe.
I call it twisted pizza, but it’s basically a version of pizza monkey bread. Pizza toppings are sandwiched between pizza dough, and you slice strips that you twist together before you bake it. The presentation is great, and it tastes just like regular pizza.
I love a pull apart pepperoni pizza bread, but you can use your favorite pizza toppings – it’s all up to you! You can also make it with store-bought pizza dough to make it extra easy, or try one of my delicious homemade crusts.
This pull apart pizza bread is a great appetizer for parties or make one for family pizza night. We’ve done both, and it’s always a hit. I mean, who can resist a hot and cheesy piece of pizza?
You might skip the pizza delivery after you try this recipe! It’s an easy monkey bread pizza that’s fun to make and even more fun to eat!
Ingredients in Twisted Pizza
- Store-bought pizza dough – or you can use homemade pizza dough.
- Pizza Sauce – homemade pizza sauce or store bought
- Shredded mozzarella cheese – shred it yourself for best melting
- Pepperoni slices – optional – but delicious
- Melted butter – you can use salted or unsalted butter.
- Garlic paste – or use garlic powder or a minced garlic clove.
- Italian seasoning
Best Crust for Pull Aparts
There are a few crust choices you can use to make pizza dough twists. You can use Pillsbury refrigerated pizza crust (or another brand you like) from the store or make your own. Here are my favorite recipes:
How to Make My Twisted Pizza Recipe
- Divide the dough in half and place one half on a piece of parchment paper. Roll it out to approximately 10×15” and place the dough (with the parchment underneath) on a large baking sheet.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the top of the dough.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top.
- Place the other half of the dough on another piece of parchment and roll it out to 10×15”. Peel it off the paper and place it on top of the other dough with the sauce and cheese.
- Make 1” slices on both sides of the dough, leaving a strip in the middle. Don’t slice all the way across.
- Twist the strips one to two times to make the pizza twists.
- Combine the melted butter with the garlic and Italian seasoning in a small bowl. Brush it over the top of the crust. Top the butter with the pepperoni.
- Bake the twisted pizza for 12 to 18 minutes at 400°F or until the crust is golden brown.
- Be sure to roll out the two pieces of dough so they are the same size. This ensures the filling stays inside and everything is nice and even.
- My favorite pizza dough hack is to use a floured rolling pin to roll out the dough. Also, start in the middle and roll out from the center – this makes it easy to roll it out evenly.
- Don’t skip the garlic butter on top. It adds tons of flavor and will also help the crust turn a nice golden brown.
- The only thing that makes pizza pull apart bread better is some dips on the side.We love some ranch dressing on the side for dipping, or try some warm pizza sauce or garlic butter dip.
If you have leftover pull apart pizza bread, store them in an airtight container. They will keep well for up to three days in the refrigerator. You can warm them up in the oven or the microwave.
Want to make it ahead? You can assemble the whole thing up to 24 hours in advance. Leave it on the baking sheet, cover it with plastic wrap, and keep it in the refrigerator. The next day just pop it in the oven!
Yes, you can!
Have you made this recipe!
Leave a rating by clicking the stars below!
Pull Apart Pizza Recipe
- 1 13.8 ounces can (390g) pizza dough (or use homemade)
- ⅓ cup (79ml) pizza sauce
- 5 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup pepperoni
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste see note
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Divide pizza crust in half. Place half on a sheet of parchment paper and roll to approximately 10×15-inches. Place crust (on parchment) on a large cookie sheet.
- Spread with pizza sauce and top with cheese.
- Place second half of pizza dough on another sheet of parchment paper and roll to approximately 10×15-inches. Place this dough on top of prepared pizza.
- Slice 1-inch strips up and down both sides of the crust, leaving a small strip in the middle. Twist the strips 1-2 times.
- Stir melted butter with garlic and seasoning and brush all over crust. Top with pepperoni.
- Bake 12-18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.
- Serving suggestion: ranch dressing for dipping
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Pizza may be assembled up to 24 hours ahead.
- May substitute salted butter.
- Use 1 tsp garlic paste, ½ teaspoon garlic powder or 1 garlic clove (pressed).
- May omit pepperoni or place the pepperoni inside with the cheese.
- Substitute any of your favorite pizza toppings (sausage, olives, etc).
Twisted Pizza is an easy pull apart pizza recipe that’s perfect for a party or easy dinner. This easy pizza recipe is the perfect appetizer or party food with your favorite pizza flavors.
Last Updated on January 11, 2023